• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Io9: Everyone hates Willie Wonka's Grandpa Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The guy straight up steals the lifting drinks, and convinces his innocent grandson to do it too. So not only is he a deadbeat forcing hIs daughter to slave all day as a clothes washer to keep the family afloat, he straight up contributes to the deliquency of a minor.

Not canon, added for film drama

way more

Wow, way to keep up IO9, Asshole Grandpa Joe was a meme is ancient in terms of internet memes.

I always skipped that song whenever I could, worst thing in the movie.

it's revolting. If it were released to day shit-lords would proclaim it worst movie ever. But it occured before they were born so it's Best Movie Ever!

What if I told you that a thing that you grew up with is really like THIS?! It's not what you thought it was at all! Isn't that deep?
Wicked-Poster-wicked-257210_450_497.jpg

whoa man.

Here is an interesting chart comparing the book and the movie (and also the second movie):
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:paul2387/Differences_between_book_and_film_versions_of_Charlie_and_the_Chocolate_Factory

Sometimes I feel like the only one who doesn't think of the movie first when thinking of the story. Having read the book first, several differences, such as Veruca's downfall, kind of take me a while to remember from the movie. Especially something like Grandpa Joe, who IMO was not "bad" at all in the book, I would have never thought about any reason to hate him in the movie.

Despite reading the book first, and despite Dahl's shunning of the movie, I still love the movie almost as much as the book (as opposed to, say, The Wizard of Oz, where I just ended up really disappointed with the movie compared to the book upon first watch).

Wonka lures these children into his macabre lair and then proceeds to off them in a disturbing and gruesome manner. At the end of the film he says the children have all been restored to their original form-but you don't see that. They've probally been fed to the Oompa Loompas. And let's not get started on that boat ride to hell.

They're shown at the end of the book. On phone atm so can't find the image, but its stuff like Mike TV being absurdly tall and thin and verruca salt being covered in garbage from memory.

Not quite original form though

Dougald

Here is an interesting chart comparing the book and the movie (and also the second movie):
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:paul2387/Differences_between_book_and_film_versions_of_Charlie_and_the_Chocolate_Factory

Sometimes I feel like the only one who doesn't think of the movie first when thinking of the story. Having read the book first, several differences, such as Veruca's downfall, kind of take me a while to remember from the movie. Especially something like Grandpa Joe, who IMO was not "bad" at all in the book, I would have never thought about any reason to hate him in the movie.

Despite reading the book first, and despite Dahl's shunning of the movie, I still love the movie almost as much as the book (as opposed to, say, The Wizard of Oz, where I just ended up really disappointed with the movie compared to the book upon first watch).

I too always think of the book first, despite enjoying both of the films. I see the story as more like the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - the same basic plot in every version, but each is a little different.

Joni

I'm a bit different. I started with the book too, and I have read it multiple times, but I have trouble remembering those details. The movie is just the perfect version for me. It is strange, but I always think of his movies when thinking of his stories. There were just some other children's authors I liked better so I kinda gravitated towards his movies, despite having read all those books.

Sheroking

They're shown at the end of the book. On phone atm so can't find the image, but its stuff like Mike TV being absurdly tall and thin and verruca salt being covered in garbage from memory.

Not quite original form though

Why do people keep talking about the book. Dahl's book sucked, bro. The movie is way better.

I wish that chocolate bars were actually as large as they were in the movie. I mean, they were bigger than your fucking hand! Now they're just tiny, barely satisfying microbes. And yes, Joe was a senile moron.

Sayong Grandpa Joe was a bad guy when the story is filled with assholes is a bit... Ugh.

Besides, I hated Charlie more. Stupid bastard doesn't even care his inherited factory is a mortal machine and still uses Oompa Loompas as free workforce.

They really should sindicate and join forces to replace the kid and take control of their destiny.

Ithil

He's the asshole that takes the Fizzy Lifting Drink and makes Charlie drink it too, then he blames Wonka for his own breach of the contract and says he's going to take the gobstopper to Slugworth to sell it to him.

What a dick.

There are tons of types of bigotry in this world, but this Grandpa Joe bigotry might be the most disgusting.
'
1. He offers to give up his tobacco.
2. He gets out of bed for Charlies sake, despite the great pain and agony he is cleary in.
3. Despite the horrific state of their family, he keeps Charlies hopes high through the stories he tells.
4. Despite his feeble state, he stands up to Willy Wonka at the end. He's got nothing to his name and Wonka is one of the most powerful men in the world, but he perceives Charlie as being mistreated, and he won't put up with that.

Mdot

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a-blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing

But...Grandpa Joe is the best.

From where did the idea of Works luring kids into a death trap come? Did you people even watch the movie? Gloop wasnt pushed into the chocolate river. Do you think Works was like "I'll build a giant chocolate river, just in case some unstoppable fatass wins the totally random ticket contest. Then, if I'm lucky, he'll be such an incorrigible glutton that he'll fall into the river and die!"

vikki

He's the asshole that takes the Fizzy Lifting Drink and makes Charlie drink it too, then he blames Wonka for his own breach of the contract and says he's going to take the gobstopper to Slugworth to sell it to him.

What a dick.

Grandpa Joe has had enough of Wonka's shit! First he's a victim of Wonka's paranoia and now he's trying to screw Charlie over? Sure what he did was wrong, but he ain't about to let some aging lunatic treat his grandson like shit.

And anybody trying to complain about the "contract," that shit wasn't even readable. They had no idea what they signed up for.

I always saw grandpa as the symbol of corruption that happens to adults. Wonka mentions this in the great glass elevator to Charlie. It's nothing bad. It's just what happens when you grow out of childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom