• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandpa Joe from Willy Wanka was pretty awful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the changes a good thing? The whole story is about kids being disobedient and getting their comeuppance. Charlie breaks the rules yet is exempt from having to pay any price. By having that scene the director missed the point because he is meant to be the only child in the group who isn't a degenerate.

Also Wonka yelling at Charlie is stupid. He's meant to be an eccentric wacky happy go lucky guy who never takes anything seriously and is always in control of his emotions. Not a guy who yells out in anger. How does having him yell at Charlie improve the story at all?

I don't remember the film much, but didn't Wonka reveal he was just testing Charlie?

Choomp

Banned
Wanna Wanka Willy Wanka?

oHuZBA.gif

is nothing sacred

.JayZii

Banned
I thought so too on a recent viewing.

Being bedridden was clearly a ruse so he wouldn't have to work and could smoke his pipe in bed all day while his daughter (daughter-in-law?) works to support all of them. He wasn't fooling anybody with that over the top flopping around once he finally got out of bed. I'd be pretty pissed if I was Charlie's mom. Then he just randomly tells Charlie that they should steal those drinks, puts the blame on Wonka at the end rather than taking responsibility for what he did, and then tells Charlie to screw over Wonka and give the gobstopper to Slugworth. He's pretty shitty.

I suppose it all worked out in the end, though. Charlie was his golden ticket to undeserved prosperity.

JABEE

Grandpa Joe lived an impoverished British existence. Who knows how the wars impacted him and his family. Charlie has no father. Grandpa Joe most likely fought the Germans on the Western Front. We have no idea where his mind is or how his time under shellfire impacted him.

He may seem healthy on the outside, but he is an old, broken man who gets to live vicariously through his one bright and innocent Grandson. He lives to survive and his worldview is built and shaped by that experience.

Give Grandpa Joe a break.

Christopher

Grandpa Joe lived an impoverished British existence. Who knows how the wars impacted him and his family. Charlie has no father. Grandpa Joe most likely fought the Germans on the Western Front. We have no idea where his mind is or how his time under shellfire impacted him.

He may seem healthy on the outside, but he is an old, broken man who gets to live vicariously through his one bright and innocent Grandson. He lives to survive and his worldview is built and shaped by that experience.

Get your ass outta bed and work!

Dalek

N7icL.jpg

How are the changes a good thing? The whole story is about kids being disobedient and getting their comeuppance. Charlie breaks the rules yet is exempt from having to pay any price. By having that scene the director missed the point because he is meant to be the only child in the group who isn't a degenerate.

Also Wonka yelling at Charlie is stupid. He's meant to be an eccentric wacky happy go lucky guy who never takes anything seriously and is always in control of his emotions. Not a guy who yells out in anger. How does having him yell at Charlie improve the story at all?
I always assumed the yelling was an act in order to see if Charlie would turn against him out of spite. He's incredibly calm and happy once Charlie gives him the gobstopper. Maybe I'm giving it too much credit though.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I played Grandpa Joe in our 3rd grade class play. Best part was when I got to eat a piece of chocolate each time (I think we did it three times) during the Mike Teavee scene. We reused the same Hershey bar and just rewrapped it, and I got to have the rest of the thing at the end.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I played Grandpa Joe in our 3rd grade class play. Best part was when I got to eat a piece of chocolate each time (I think we did it three times) during the Mike Teavee scene. We reused the same Hershey bar and just rewrapped it, and I got to have the rest of the thing at the end.

Joke's on you. It was a hershey bar

I always took the yelling at Charlie at the end to be a complete act on Wonka's part to test him

If he gives it to Slugworth, he gets the money no harm no foul

Random fact: My aunts takeaway was the location of Mrs Pratchett’s Sweet Shop. The inspiration for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Got a plaque outside a few years back for it.

Let us not forget that if he has been bedridden all this time, he shouldn't have had many (any?) clothes wearable in public. They probably had to decide to skip meals for a week just so they could go out and buy Grandpa Joe something to wear.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Grandpa Joe lived an impoverished British existence.

I've always wondered why do Charlie and his family speak with an American accent. Although the location is never explicitly mentioned, it looks like an English city, and even Charlie's teacher speaks with a British accent. I found that odd, considering English or faux-English accents were like sometimes a "default" movie accent, almost like a trope.

I remember being under the impression that somehow Wonka had already picked him and the whole contest was a test and ruse. Making everything just a bit more creepy.
I think it was pretty easy to determined that 4 of the 5 kids were horrible scumbags from their interviews, and the first 10 minutes in the factory. Seeing how Charlie was the only one with basic human decency, it was easy to work shop a test just for him.

Christopher

I've always wondered why do Charlie and his family speak with an American accent. Although the location is never explicitly mentioned, it looks like an English city, and even Charlie's teacher speaks with a British accent. I found that odd, considering English or faux-English accents were like sometimes a "default" movie accent, almost like a trope.

The behind the scenes said they wanted the movie to have a timeless feeling so they shot the location in Munich - because before the Internet it wasn't somewhere where you could easily recognize like NYC

Tomita

The behind the scenes said they wanted the movie to have a timeless feeling so they shot the location in Munich - because before the Internet it wasn't somewhere where you could easily recognize like NYC

Yeah, they made the movie have an almost "fairy tale" setting to help make it feel timeless, and I think it helps make the movie the classic it is.

Which is why putting too much logic into "Why can Grandpa walk again???" makes the setting fall apart. Like, why does the candy man give out all his shit for free in that damn song of his? He should be out of business at that rate--except it's ~whimsical~ so you just roll with it when watching the movie.

ZoronMaro

I haven't watched the movie in years but I thought it was obvious that pretty much everyone in the movie is a bad person, except Charlie. Especially Grandpa Joe, even as I kid I saw through his slimy ways.

Maybe some ancillary characters weren't so bad, but I don't remember very much about the non-Wanka parts of the movie.

Meowster

I loved this movie (and the book) but I feel like Charlie and his mom (whose song I skipped forward every time on VHS growing up) were the only good people in the entire thing. Well, maybe his other grandparents too.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I loved this movie (and the book) but I feel like Charlie and his mom (whose song I skipped forward every time on VHS growing up) were the only good people in the entire thing. Well, maybe his other grandparents too.

Mom song is awful, and there's nothing to look at whiel she's singing.

Lagamorph

Hahaha seriously? I would've watched that.
Yeah, the glass elevator, which is also a spaceship because of course it is, accidentally goes into orbit so Willy Wanka decides they should break into a space hotel which the US President is worried has been infiltrated by alien spies.
Turns out he's right and the station is infested with 5 shape changing aliens who want to eat anyone who comes aboard, and these aliens have already committed genocide by consuming the populations of Mars, Venus and the Moon.

The book contains over 20 confirmed deaths from humans being eaten by the aliens, with the 5 aliens also being killed by being burned up on re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

cchum

The things I learn from GAF:
Willy Wanka had a name change.
You can't be old and lazy
Hershey's chocolate sucks
A snozzberry is a penis

Maybe he was some kind of perverted chocolatier after all.

Tomita

Remember when the original Oompa Loompa's were just black people?

That's what they did for 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka.

lol what. Deep Roy's ethnically Indian.

...Yeah, basically. I remember one of the grandma's being really sweet. Though I guess the candy man was sort of nice. Potentially a creeper, but nice.

Decided to watch a little bit of the movie before I went to bed since it's been years since I've seen it. Grandpa Joe is even taking Charlie's last dimes to keep his tobacco addiction going. The man is ruthless.

Edit: ok, so he took the tobacco money and bought Charlie a candy bar, but deep down you know it's because of his own selfish lifetime-of-chocolate eating desires. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom