• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandpa Joe from Willy Wanka was pretty awful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminaire

I imagine it's intentional. None of these people are good people.

Charlie may be the only person with a glimmer of hope in the world.

That's disappointing to hear but him being well credentialed to have an opinion on the film adaptation of his book is unrelated to his political beliefs.

You're right, that's always just an interesting bit of, uh, trivia, ha ha.

But there's no such thing as being "well-credentialed", authors are notoriously terrible judges of adaptations of their own work, because they're too close to it. It doesn't mean changes automatically improve a screenplay but the author isn't necessarily a better judge (and probably worse) than anyone else.

Risible

Wait, I always took his yelling at the end to be an act. It was designed to see what Charlie would do with the Everlasting Gobstopper. He wasn't serious. It was another test and that's it.

Sciz

Did you know even Roald Dahl hated the movie? He thought it was too sappy and didn't properly convey the vision of his book. That's why we never got a sequel. I'll take his word over anyone else's. The director of the movie really missed the point.
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is fucking bizarre even by Dahl's standards and would never have been made into a movie anyway.

the comeuppance for the kids happens as a direct result of their actions. charlie's nearly killed in the fizzy lifting drink room, but joe and charlie figure a way out of it.

i had always interpreted the scene of wonka at the end to be him expressing his disappointment, not anger, at charlie's deception. when charlie gives back the candy, he's trying to make amends by being honest with wonka instead of potentially profiting from it (when his desperate family could really use the money). i don't think wonka knows about the size of the sacrifice for charlie, but it makes him realize he was wrong about the kid.

and besides it was joe's fault anyway.
Also Charlie clearly feels shame about his actions and tries to make good. Any of the other kids would have taken Wonka's scolding as permission to do whatever they wanted with the Gobstopper.

I like how Charlie is portrayed in the movie because it gives him more nuance. In the book and the second film he's thoroughly nice and squeaky clean. It's far more real to have a character who's a fundamentally good person but makes mistakes.

Wait, I always took his yelling at the end to be an act. It was designed to see what Charlie would do with the Everlasting Gobstopper. He wasn't serious. It was another test and that's it.
This too. Although I'm sure some of it came out of genuine disappointment.

I always like that smug look on his face when he sees Charlie and Grandpa Joe rejoin the group after the fizzy lifting drink episode lol.

And yes, Grandpa Joe is the real Willy Wanker of the story.

JC Lately

The part of the movie that always bugged me was how
fake
Slugworth always found the ticket winners so fast. I mean he pops up right when news channels are announcing the discovery, and in Charlie's case, before that even happens. How does he do it?

nded

Did you know even Roald Dahl hated the movie? He thought it was too sappy and didn't properly convey the vision of his book. That's why we never got a sequel. I'll take his word over anyone else's. The director of the movie really missed the point.

King and Burgess hated Kubrick's adaptations of their books, but I don't think for one second that makes The Shining and A Clockwork Orange poor or pointless films.

Wanna Wanka Willy Wanka?

oHuZBA.gif

DEAD

The party of the movie that always bugged me was how
fake
Slugworth always found the ticket winners so fast. I mean he pops up right when news channels are announcing the discovery, and in Charlie's case, before that even happens. How does he do it?

The tickets were pre-ordained. The kids were all so awful and greedy (and Charlie was so good) that they were naturally going to be the first ones to find the tickets, and Wonka/Slugworth knew it.

The tickets exist to teach those specific kids a lesson, and to test Charlie.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The party of the movie that always bugged me was how
fake

THAT was the part that bothered you?

maxresdefault.jpg

Construction Worker: Tell us again why you want this psychedelic nightmare tunnel filled with projections of chickens getting decapitated installed in your chocolate factory, Mr Wonka?

Wonka: Bet you 10 dollars I can get all the kids to shit themselves lmao.

Lagamorph

Wasn't the sequel set in space and turned into an almost aliens style horror story?

Fuck Dahl, the movie was awesome

Hex

Banned
THAT was the part that bothered you?

maxresdefault.jpg

Construction Worker: Tell us again why you want this psychedelic nightmare tunnel filled with projections of chickens getting decapitated installed in your chocolate factory, Mr Wonka?

The real secret to Wonka's chocolate

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
King and Burgess hated Kubrick's adaptations of their books, but I don't think for one second that makes The Shining and A Clockwork Orange poor or pointless films.

Yeah, using Dahl as a metric for your own opinion on the quality of the film is ludicrous.

Drazgul

He probably had the workers murdered after they finished, anyway. Confectionery business is a cutthroat business.

The movie either works on its own, or doesn't. Whether it is faithful to the original book is immaterial to whether or not it is any good as a movie.

The part of the movie that always bugged me was how
fake
Wonka probably knew where the tickets were planted so he sent out Mr. Wilkinson (I always loved this random ass name, like WHO IS THIS GUY EVEN) to skulk around the areas and wait for someone to find the ticket.

In the Burton movie this is how Mike Teavee finds out where his ticket is anyway.

Yeah, using Dahl as a metric for your own opinion on the quality of the film is ludicrous.
It just means they don't have their own opinion or can't fully back it up so just use Dahl as a crutch. Many authors hate adaptations that have turned out to be great films, it's not indicative of much other than how close authors are to their own stories.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Snozzberry is a fictional foodstuff mentioned in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its first film adaptation. It is some sort of fruit, but beyond that, its details are unknown. The term snozzberry also appeared in Dahl's adult novel My Uncle Oswald, where it was a slang term referring to male genitals.

Oh dear...

Eh, I always read him as more of an old guy who has had to be practical and live in the grey. He isn't exactly rich, I'm sure he's had to do dubious things to live in poverty.

I get this is a kids movie, but this seems like an overly black and white reading of the character.

Though I'd agree the fizzy lifting drink theft is his most problematic action. At least most of his actions are simply petty or selfish, but that action moves into mischief and meanness.

When I was a kid I would always fast forward to when they arrive at the chocolate factory. The beginning of that movie is shit and I found most of the family stuff to be boring as hell.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

E.B. White also hated the animated adaptation of Charlotte's Web. Authors don't necessarily have good taste in film.

Stopdoor

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is fucking bizarre even by Dahl's standards and would never have been made into a movie anyway.

Man, we need to have a topic about that sometime, most people don't even know it exists.

There's a horrifying alien and time travel is involved, I think?

liquidtmd

Banned
From Wiki

A follow-up to the book was planned, called Charlie in the White House. Charlie's family and Willy Wonka are invited by President Gilligrass to have dinner at the White House, as thanks for rescuing the Space Shuttle from its attack by the Vermicious Knids.

hqdefault.jpg

Christopher

It just means they don't have their own opinion or can't fully back it up so just use Dahl as a crutch. Many authors hate adaptations that have turned out to be great films, it's not indicative of much other than how close authors are to their own stories.

I agree who cares what intent the original author had if it's better it's better - and the movie is leagues better than the book.

Sciz

Man, we need to have a topic about that sometime, most people don't even know it exists.

There's a horrifying alien and time travel is involved, I think?

There's also the novel-exclusive sequel to E.T., E.T.: The Book of the Green Planet, wherein we find out that he's part of a race of extradimensional super botanists, and was a highly esteemed doctor among them right up until the point where he wandered off on his own and they had to backtrack to pick his dumb ass back up from Earth. Living in disgrace, he starts pining for Earth and psychically spies on Elliot, who, thanks to time dilation, is already growing into a teenager and has a crush on a girl. This horrifies E.T., who developed his impression of human adults solely from watching TV, and he starts making plans to escape and go back to earth to save Elliot from growing up. This entails stealing a bunch of shit, roping some of the robots and other intelligent species on the planet into helping him, and strapping a bunch of fire flowers onto a hollowed out mega turnip he grew so he can launch the whole thing into space, where the galactic fleet is baffled to find themselves being outrun by a rogue vegetable. The book ends with him just barely managing to slip through the wormhole to the Milky Way, while his psychic connection to Elliot helps Elliot get the girl.

I'm probably missing some stuff, as it's a 260+ page book and I only skimmed it just now, but that's the gist of it.

Ogodei

I always pictured Grandpa Joe as being the self-insert for adults who read the novel or watched the movie, the guy who'd do what they would do in that situation. The bedridden thing was always a little fraught logically, but that's the sort of thing that's hard to translate from Dahl's fairly cartoony world into a live action movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom