• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Jea Song

Did the right thing
iv also noticed another issue. When you go app store and try to read more reviews on an app, it does nothing. When you scroll to the bottom it says MORE REVIEWS....

and thats it? I try clicking on it, holding, nothing? How the heck do I read more reviews on an app besides the top 5?!

RedSwirl

I'm not updating this until I know iOS6 doesn't run like shit on the iPhone 4. I don't want a repeat of what iOS5 runs like on the iPad 1, or worse, iOS4 on the 3G.

AirBrian

I'm sorry but until they provide Google Maps, I'm not updating.

Google Maps is a god send if you live in NYC.
Google Maps on my iPhone has saved my ass numerous times when traveling internationally, especially in Asia. It's the one "feature" I'm certainly not excited about, as most.

Tobor

That brings up an interesting question. Say you buy four tickets off MLB.com, does just that iPhone with the account get the tickets or can you say push individual tickets to each person assuming they all had an iPhone and Passbook? It would be a nice way to distribute tickets individually to each person. Even great for movies too.

The tickets can be distributed. There is a passbook file format, and they can be sent out as email attachments or whatever.

Wether you can redistribute them yourself, I don't know. Probably up to the vendor.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
With Passbook, when you go to the place do they just scan the barcode on your phone screen?

Also, how would it work with Starbucks or something? Just gift cards?

Zutroy

I'm not updating this until I know iOS6 doesn't run like shit on the iPhone 4. I don't want a repeat of what iOS5 runs like on the iPad 1, or worse, iOS4 on the 3G.

People were saying that it runs faster than iOS5 on the 4. I wasn't seeing this at first when I updated, but then after another reboot, it is noticeably quicker than 5.

Tobor

YouTube works perfectly on iPad as is. Embedded links still work in the page, and clicking the link opens a new tab in the browser.

What do I need a dedicated YouTube app for?

giga

How the dang is Passbook supposed to work?
There are three methods of delivery of passes to the passbook app.

1. Email attachment
2. Safari download
3. An App can give the option to add a pass to the Passbook app.

The app store link inside the app is just one method to get passes. It should link to some apps that are updated with passes now.

RedSwirl

Also, how much more storage space does iOS6 take up? I'm down to less than a gig on my iPhone 4 and I don't know if I can prune any more apps.

Tobor

With Passbook, when you go to the place do they just scan the barcode on your phone screen?

Also, how would it work with Starbucks or something? Just gift cards?

Yes, they scan the code on the phone. Starbucks gift cards work the same way, they scan the phone, it updates your balance.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Seeing the update list mostly mention "3rd generation IPads". So, IPad ended up getting left behind too?

Quick

Banned

The app store link inside the app is just one method to get passes. It should link to some apps that are updated with passes now.

App store method isn't working for me with the Cineplex app.

1. Email attachment
2. Safari download

Any suggestions as to how/where to get started? It's still giving me the App Store error when I hit that one button.

Zeth

So it sounds like it runs fairly well, possibly better than iOS 5 on the iPhone 4? Trying to make sure it's the case before I give my mother the OK to update.

Bgamer90

Banned
So it sounds like it runs fairly well, possibly better than iOS 5 on the iPhone 4? Trying to make sure it's the case before I give my mother the OK to update.

I don't know how it is on the 4, but on my 4S, iOS 6 is definitely smoother than iOS 5.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

All I know is if I stream podcasts while playing some games, it lags my phone. Makes games unplayable. But if I play podcasts that are downloaded on my iPhone 4, then it's okay.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fandango app looks great for movie tickets, but Passbook only works for supporting theaters. I wonder how you tell if your theater supports it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also, how much more storage space does iOS6 take up? I'm down to less than a gig on my iPhone 4 and I don't know if I can prune any more apps.

My iPad said I needed 2.2GB. (I had 1.6 so I deleted Infinity Blade to free up a gig.) I'd assume it'd be near that amount for the other devices.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How the dang is Passbook supposed to work?

Apps can hook into it to push their tickets etc into it so you don't need to open separate apps to view them. You can also add coupons etc. via email links, URLs or QR codes. That said it's a repository and not an app in itself in that sense. Support is fairly limited right now.

Fandango app looks great for movie tickets, but Passbook only works for supporting theaters. I wonder how you tell if your theater supports it.

Now that I've got a better idea on how Passbook works, I think it has potential to be good, but it's going to have to go through some growing pains before it's really useful and everyone sort of shakes out access or how to use it properly. I'd like to see where it is a year from now, but certainly it's not a feature that would be a major reason to update for me at this point.

giga

Any suggestions as to how/where to get started? It's still giving me the App Store error when I hit that one button.
Try a restart. It's showing a small list of apps for me.

Tried Walgreens and the app showed this on startup. They're using passbook for their membership card.

zhzv+

Apps can hook into it to push their tickets etc into it so you don't need to open separate apps to view them. You can also add coupons etc. via email links, URLs or QR codes. That said it's a repository and not an app in itself in that sense. Support is fairly limited right now.

I wish Apple would allow apps other than passbook to work like this as well. Safari and Email need those hooks too

BeeDog

If I perform the software update directly through the iPhone settings, will I lose any of my stuff (e.g. text messages, app settings etc.)?

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring, so Fandango won't show up in Passbook until I buy a movie ticket it in that app, or...?

Now that I've got a better idea on how Passbook works, I think it has potential to be good, but it's going to have to go through some growing pains before it's really useful and everyone sort of shakes out access or how to use it properly. I'd like to see where it is a year from now, but certainly it's not a feature that would be a major reason to update for me at this point.

I think this is a fair assessment, it could be very useful if enough companies take advantage of it. It's nice being able to go to Starbucks with nothing but my phone and purchasing whatever I want, hopefully I'll be able to do this with more places soon.

Some of my apps (3) are stuck updates after going to IOS6. Nothing can be done to get them to update.

I assume the servers are just hammered now so will try later. Otherwise, uninstall/reinstall.

Tobor

I'm very optimistic on it, but that's fair.

It depends on individual use case scenarios as well.

Top Bottom