• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Zutroy

animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-drudge-report.gif
MEGATON

You can now pick a song from your music library as your alarm!

[/MEGATON]

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Some of my apps (3) are stuck updates after going to IOS6. Nothing can be done to get them to update.

I assume the servers are just hammered now so will try later. Otherwise, uninstall/reinstall.

Try terminating the app from the taskbar or rebooting your device, usually works for me. Otherwise wait, servers are as you say likely hammered.

solarus

Why it took until ios 6 for ipad to get a clock app I will never understand. I hate how apple does not include all the iphone apps on ipad, presumably because they expect you to already own the iphone and differentiate the two.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
MEGATON

You can now pick a song from your music library as your alarm!

[/MEGATON]

Was in the beta too. Works with Match songs as well that are in your cloud. Warned though that it takes a little while for the Alarm app to pull your music list from the cloud if you have...10000 songs in it.. :D

Misguided

Banned
Trying to upgrade basically bricked my iPod touch. Now all I see is the iTunes logo with an arrow facing it and a picture of a USB cable...can someone please help me with this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
All these iOS game save files I backed up a while ago goddamn better still work. Had to delete FFTactics.

If you manually delete an app, you lose all save data. I hope FFTactics used iCloud for saves..

Trying to upgrade basically bricked my iPod touch. Now all I see is the iTunes logo with an arrow facing it and a picture of a USB cable...can someone please help me with this?

Plug it into iTunes and restore

Zutroy

Was in the beta too. Works with Match songs as well that are in your cloud. Warned though that it takes a little while for the Alarm app to pull your music list from the cloud if you have...10000 songs in it.. :D

I have 6251 songs in my library, but which one do I want it to wake me up with!?!

Hardest decision in my life!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome!

Can you make song be a noise for other things?

Doesn't seem like it =(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome!

Can you make song be a noise for other things?

The Sound settings allow you to pick any ringtone you may have on the device as a sound for any sound. It doesn't hook directly into your music library though (cloud or otherwise). But alarms/ringtones no longer have a 30 second time limit.

RedSwirl

If you manually delete an app, you lose all save data. I hope FFTactics used iCloud for saves..

I know that. That's why I had to use a third party app to back up the files for this and a bunch of other games. That was the reason I ran into space problems on this phone in the first place.

FFT doesn't use iCloud because you actually have to buy the iPhone and iPad versions separately.

The Sound settings allow you to pick any ringtone you may have on the device as a sound for any sound. It doesn't hook directly into your music library though (cloud or otherwise). But alarms/ringtones no longer have a 30 second time limit.
omg soooooo good I have a few short mp3 that I wanted to use as custom sounds for things but I never could!

Now I can (will not to try out first but going to do that now will report back asap)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Best new feature of iOS6? New emoji. Now I can text my friends the video game controller emoji when I want to play Xbox. No text required.

RedSwirl

Is there a way to clean out the documents and data of an app without uninstalling it? I'm dealing with a DLNA app (AirPlayer) that is supposed to be like 20MB but is for some reason taking up 3GB.

Updating now through wifi...

Says its going to take 1 hr and my 4S battery has already gone down about 7% in 17 minutes.

Not sure what will finish first ;_; (I don't have my charger/chord)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, Maps is actually looking pretty good in my region (+ some other ones I tried) and has way more info than I expected. Crisis averted!

The Twitter reaction to maps is... well, pretty much exactly as could be predicted.

I think Apple will be sweating when even Gruber is describing them as a "downgrade".

Apple knows its of critical importance to get maps as good as possible as soon as possible. I have no doubt they have a ton of people/resources being poured into it, and that it will improve very quickly. Let's keep in mind Google has like a 10 year headstart on maps, and they have had a massive team working on it everyday. Can't expect Apple's V1 to be at that stage, but my prediction is that several months from now it will be a wash, which is a pretty monumental feat.

Anecdotally, I've had no issues with it in my city, every single listing I've looked up has been correct, and turn by turn is awesome, well implemented, and looks slick.

Apple knows its of critical importance to get maps as good as possible as soon as possible. I have no doubt they have a ton of people/resources being poured into it, and that it will improve very quickly. Let's keep in mind Google has like a 10 year headstart on maps, and they have had a massive team working on it everyday. Can't expect Apple's V1 to be at that stage, but my prediction is that several months from now it will be a wash, which is a pretty monumental feat.

Anecdotally, I've had no issues with it in my city, every single listing I've looked up has been correct, and turn by turn is awesome, well implemented, and looks slick.

Are maps updated on the server side as well as App level?

I'm very optimistic on it, but that's fair.

It depends on individual use case scenarios as well.

This is true too. If you use Starbucks and Fandango a lot, it's going to work great for you. I did a quick search and see places like Panera, Toys R Us, LEGO, and Safeway missing so I definitely wouldn't be able to eliminate everything out the gate. I do like the idea behind it and if anyone can motivate companies to move in a direction right now, it is Apple.

This is true too. If you use Starbucks and Fandango a lot, it's going to work great for you. I did a quick search and see places like Panera, Toys R Us, LEGO, and Safeway missing so I definitely wouldn't be able to eliminate everything out the gate. I do like the idea behind it and if anyone can motivate companies to move in a direction right now, it is Apple.

I think the fact that iOS 6 has been out for only a few hours and there are already apps for Ticketmaster, Fandango, Walgreens and MLB is a pretty encouraging sign.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Emojis are included in new iOS or do you have to download Emoji app to get them under Keyboards?

Emoji can be added under keyboards. No additionally apps necessary. I believe this has been available since iOS 5. After its enabled you can tap the globe icon to view available emoji to paste. iOS 6 just added moarrrrr

KingKong

Haha, it is not going to be a wash. First, they're not going to have street view. Secondly, they just don't have the expertise that Google does.

Just getting the satellite data is the easy part

also, fuuuuck update requires at least 50% battery life to install, looks like no update at work :(

Blackhead

Redarse
I think the fact that iOS 6 has been out for only a few hours and there are already apps for Ticketmaster, Fandango, Walgreens and MLB is a pretty encouraging sign.

Beta has been out for 3 months. I honestly expected better. Where are the airplane and banks plugins?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Emoji can be added under keyboards. No additionally apps necessary. I believe this has been available since iOS 5 without any additional apps. After its enabled you can tap the globe icon to view available emoji to paste.

Correct, have been space invadering since 5.0, however 6 added tons of new emoji icons.

Top Bottom