• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

ombz

The only thing I miss on the new map is the building locations for PSU. Fortunately I can find most of the buildings now anyway.

Ovid

It's assumed that they will, but not anytime soon.
Wait...what!? Apple completely removed Google Maps from all iOS devices? I just noticed that its not in the App Store either. Why are they forcing the user to use their map app (that rhymes)?

This happens in Google maps, too.

Yep. All the time. Maps get out dated. Even digital ones.

Wait...what!? Apple completely removed Google Maps from all iOS devices? I just noticed that its not in the App Store either. Why are they forcing the user to use their map app (that rhymes)?

A Google Maps App will be available soon no doubt, but in case you haven't noticed, Apple and Google haven't been getting along all that well lately. This change isn't abrupt. Been coming for at least 2-3 years. YouTube is gone now too, although there is already an app for that.

For what it's worth, I'm not finding the new Maps to be as bad as I'd been led to believe. Transit options would be nice though, but there are options there too.

Talon

Wait...what!? Apple completely removed Google Maps from all iOS devices? I just noticed that its not in the App Store either. Why are they forcing the user to use their map app (the rhymes)?
Apple and Google's agreement to provide Maps on iOS expired.

It's not explicit whether it was Apple or Google that made the decision not to renew, but you've got to know Apple was going to do this sooner or later. A Google Maps app is bound to show up on iOS soon enough.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Someone point me to the update on the Apple website. iTunes's download is taking forever.

Zutroy

Impressions:
-Maps is definitely a downgrade, but still usable in my area at least.
-They should have a least have one 'pass' available for Passbook at launch (UK here), worthless right now.
-Music app seems a lot better, especially with iTunes Match. I still get download errors whenever I try to download an uploaded song, but at least it now streams song no problem.

Ovid

Apple and Google's agreement to provide Maps on iOS expired.

It's not explicit whether it was Apple or Google that made the decision not to renew, but you've got to know Apple was going to do this sooner or later. A Google Maps app is bound to show up on iOS soon enough.
I'm sorry but until they provide Google Maps, I'm not updating.

Google Maps is a god send if you live in NYC.

Manp

Maps is truly terrible. Says that woolworths is still in my town. The shop went bankrupt several years ago and hasn't been here since around 2008.

dude we are in 2008. you're using an apple product so it feels like being in the future from your point of view.

MLB.com At Bat has been updated and includes Passbook support for 4 parks.

**5.4.1**
- iOS 6 compatible (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad)
- NEW: Passbook delivery option for game ticket purchases. Supported MLB ballparks: AT&T Park, Citi Field, Fenway Park and Kauffman Stadium (iPhone and iPod touch)
- NEW: 16x9 formatted video and enhanced screen design (iPhone 5 and iPod touch, 5th generation)

dyls

The old app was an Apple app that used Google information. There never was an actual Google Maps app. I do wonder if Google will hold off releasing one in the hopes that iPhone users will get pissed off at the missing functionality and tarnish Apple's image a bit. But the missed revenue may make that unfeasible.

I seem to be one of the few people who likes the new maps far more. I've been using iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 for the past two weeks, and it's just so much faster and smoother. I hated how janky the old maps app was, and especially how (for some unknown reason) it used to populate traffic from the outside in, meaning that it would show me what was going on ten miles away before loading the traffic right near my location. It also took forever.

The only thing missing for me is the transit maps, which I expect will be going pretty soon.

Mindwipe

The Twitter reaction to maps is... well, pretty much exactly as could be predicted.

I think Apple will be sweating when even Gruber is describing them as a "downgrade".

MLB.com At Bat has been updated and includes Passbook support for 4 parks.

That brings up an interesting question. Say you buy four tickets off MLB.com, does just that iPhone with the account get the tickets or can you say push individual tickets to each person assuming they all had an iPhone and Passbook? It would be a nice way to distribute tickets individually to each person. Even great for movies too.

Top Bottom