• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraq child marriage bill would allow 9 years-old girls to wed, limit women's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it wouldn't. When Saddam and his party came to power they brought stability. If we're talking women's rights, they were much better after the 1970's up until economic sanctions started to cripple the country and economy. Iraqi women had it much better before the war, we're able to walk streets without being gang raped en masse, we're able to attend University. Now they're at one of the lowest points ever. It doesn't help that theocratic influence from Iran is now dominating the country.

I have no respect for the Saddam regime, they were brutal, especially to dissidents. There are many human rights abuses done because of him and his party. But all the US and UK have done is replace a dictator, with a soon to be authoritarian regime that will institute religious theocratic beliefs. Basically an Iran Jr. in a sense.

Yup. Iraq was basically a secular regime until things went south in the 90's and like all authoritarians and many politicians, Saddam turned to religion to keep the people on his side.

Vibranium

Banned
This is fucked and the people who champion this are too. There is no culture in this, same with forcing religion on everyone and limiting women's rights. Someday I hope things get better but there are so many divisions in the Middle East it is very far-off dream.

Vagabundo

It's a crying shame. Hopefully some real progress and reforms start to happen for Iraq at some point.

And, related, I wish the world had the balls to string up Bush and Blair for what they did.

A german here. So they want to make it legal to marry and rape 9 year old girls and somehow it's americas fault? Are you guys serious? The answer to it and why it has to be exactly 9 years is screaming to your face and yet you blame Americans. Good job internet.

F#A#Oo

Banned
you think this wouldn't happen if saddam was still i ncharge?

Yes.

Saddam never cared about religious practice's and/or rulings. It was even difficult to implement sunni related matters of interest let alone shia or Kurd interest.

Plus if Saddam was around he wouldn't need to implement such legislation as he was above the law. So if he wanted to fiddle kids he would have done so anyways by just kidnapping them as usual and they would just be another number on the many missing reports.

Azih

Saddam pandered to ethnic and tribal fault lines to consolidate his power, these yahoos are using sectarian ones. There's a lot of overlap between the two but no, I don't think Saddam would have resorted to these kinds of tactics to bolster his popularity.

Opiate

Can you define progress?

I think he just did. A few basic metrics are life expectancy, disease rates, and quality of life indices including GDPPC and gender equality metrics.

If you insist these are not signs of "progress" because "progress" can be defined however anyone wants, you're essentially espousing a completely relativistic universe where things like banning child rape are just personal (or social) moral choices.

I'm not necessarily saying that's wrong, but I would say it ends all discussion. If the threshold for proof is 100% complete validation, then nothing will ever be proven and there is nothing to discuss.

A german here. So they want to make it legal to marry and rape 9 year old girls and somehow it's americas fault? Are you guys serious? The answer to it and why it has to be exactly 9 years is screaming to your face and yet you blame Americans. Good job internet.

We're not saying America is directly at fault, but rather the overall hellish environment it's become is all America and Britian's doing.

Dyno

It's a disgusting bill and the developed world should economically sanction Iraq should it come to pass. If they want to fuck nine year old girls then let them rely on Iran for all their material needs.

At the very least the U.S. should threaten to pull all aid from the country. Obama should personally call Al-Malaki a sick dumb-fuck for even thinking about this.

Dyno-Biden 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom