• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennessee Bill Would Allow Counselors to Deny Services based on religious beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to make this post. Where will it end?

I'm thankful I want nothing to do with religion. Religion is rules and intolerance. Christianity is actively preventing something in my life. Good job Jesus!

I don't think it's fair to say religion makes people intolerant. I think some people are just assholes who use religion as an excuse to be one.

The bible teaches Christians they should love everyone, especially their enemies. It also says do not judge others. Some just really misinterpret it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"These existing cake and floral discrimination bills just aren't instantly harmful enough. What could we do that could cause a gay or trans person to just kill themselves immediately?"

I don't think it's fair to say religion makes people intolerant. I think some people are just assholes who use religion as an excuse to be one.

Some parts of the New Testament occasionally teach Christians they should love everyone, especially their enemies. It also says do not judge others. Some just really misinterpret it. Of course there are lots of other bits of the Bible that actively encourage hatred and discrimination and murder.

Fixed.

Allow the exemption, but tax these people silly for every demographic they "righteously refuse" to treat. If you don't want to participate in the mores of a free and just society, that's on you, but you have to contribute your share to the rest of us in SOME form if you're going to go that direction. Watch these people find loopholes when their bank accounts are affected and they don't have the easy boogeyman of "persecution" to fall back on.

Ekdrm2d1

It's not, people bend religion to their will.

Correct.

The bible teaches Christians they should love everyone, especially their enemies. It also says do not judge others. Some just really misinterpret it.

Correct, but some people get brainwashed. Creationists, Fundamentalists, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc. etc.

I really don't understand these bills, it's not like you can tell if someone is gay. Why go out of your way to discriminate and then claim it's because of religious beliefs? So much effort for so little reward. What gets accomplished by doing this, absolutely nothing.

I have to say, I'm kinda of two minds about this. On the one hand, this law is bullshit, on the other, I wouldn't want to receive therapy from someone who hated me enough to want to take advantage of this bill.

Could we somehow split the baby and instead require that therapists have a portion of their webpage dedicated listing all their biases so that people that fit into those biases can choose to not go to those therapists?

It's truly difficult to live by the bible. Depending on your personality some things you take in and others you don't. But at least a person shouldn't be delusional or fake about it, and yet they are.

Jesus helped people. Of all backgrounds. Including sinners.

Right?

Why are Christians in america seemingly against helping people that aren't like them?

The simple reason is that these people claim him in word but deny him in action because they don't know Jesus at all.

You shouldn't even be allowed to be a therapist if your personal religion interferes with your ability to treat people. Isn't there some industry ethical code they must follow that would remove their license to practice?

1. State passes discriminatory anti-LGBT bill.
2. People wonder why everyone is making fun of their state ("please don't blame us for what the people who represent us do!")
3. Law gets easily overturned
4. Activist judges are blamed; court is seen as politically driven; victim complex grows
5. Repeat in another state

kess

By the way, this passed too:

Tennessee Lawmakers Vote for Bible as State's Official Book

Having already made a .50-caliber sniper gun the official state rifle, Tennessee lawmakers on Monday gave final approval to making the Holy Bible the state's official book.

The state Senate voted 19-8 in favor of the bill despite arguments by the state attorney general that the measure conflicts with a provision in the Tennessee Constitution stating that "no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religious establishment or mode of worship."

Just read about this. I suppose its natural after he vetoed the bible bill. Still, fuck Haslam for signing this.

If you hold a psychology degree or are a psychiatrist and you refuse to counsel someone based on religious beliefs, you should lose your license. End of story.

From the sounds of it the law protects against sanctions.

nib95

Banned
Is it weird that I wasn't quite as outraged by this purely because a few moments ago I read another GAF thread about how an Oklahoma court just ruled oral sex is not rape if victim is unconscious from drinking? What the fuck is going on with these states....I feel like I'm seeing mass regression before my very eyes.

People use religion for both inspiration and justification for both the harm and benefit of others. Just because you're a happy Christian with a nice life doesn't mean Abrahamic religion hasn't inspired/been used as justification for bringing harm to many people for a very long time. And I would argue that now, in an age of reason, you could have all the good things you have now without religion, so its net result is that of harm. Case in point, this bill.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Would the Counselors try and find someone else to help the person though? Would they just recuse themselves from providing treatment?

I mean, I could understand if the Counselor themselves recognize that they won't provide the best advice/treatment based on their religious convictions. But I suppose context in the refusal matters.

I would rather they recuse themselves rather than say try and put patients through some sort conversion therapy or some sort of religious conversion.

These stories... I don't even know what to say. I'm at a loss. What's worse is apparently it was amended to say "sincerely held beliefs" as an attempt to downplay the religious aspect. I mean, that's so much more broad.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is it weird that I wasn't quite as outraged by this purely because a few moments ago I read another GAF thread about how an Oklahoma court just ruled oral sex is not rape if victim is unconscious from drinking? What the fuck is going on with these states....I feel like I'm seeing mass regression before my very eyes.
The furious death throes of a dying party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom