• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennessee Bill Would Allow Counselors to Deny Services based on religious beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/counseling-bill-passes-tennessee-house-38196760

A bill that would allow mental health counselors to turn patients away based on the counselors' religious beliefs and personal principles has passed in the House in Tennessee, the latest state to introduce measures that opponents say legalize discrimination against gays, bisexuals and transgender people.

The Senate, which already passed the measure, still would have to approve an amendment adopted by the House.

The bill passed 68-22 Wednesday following a rancorous debate on the House floor. If it is signed into law, Tennessee would be the only state to allow counselors to refuse to treat patients based on their own belief system, said Art Terrazas, Director of Government Affairs for the American Counseling Association. The organization has called the bill an "unprecedented attack" on the counseling profession and government overreach.

Opponents of the measure say it would allow therapists to discriminate against gays and other people who are at their most vulnerable and need therapy. Proponents say it takes into account the rights of everyone, including the therapists.

[...]

The bill would not allow counselors to turn away people who are in imminent danger of harming themselves or others.

The bill is part of a wave of proposals across the country that would allow people to deny services to gays, transgender and bisexuals based on religious beliefs.

The Tennessee bill goes even further, however: The original version of the bill, first passed by the Senate, based any denial of services on "sincerely held religious beliefs." The House amended that language to allow counselors in private practice to refuse to treat a client and provide services relating to "goals, outcomes, or behaviors that conflict with the sincerely held principles of the counselors or therapist." The counselor would have to refer the patient to someone else.

Yet another state, with yet another "religious freedom" bill

*sigh*

Orpheus

Neo Member
I really wish bigots would stop hiding behind "religion". There's plenty of religious people that aren't trying to aggressively reduce the rights of others.

I will say though, I'm not sure that anyone would benefit from a counselor that hated them.

Saganator

...Why? Are there a bunch of therapists out there complaining about having to treat the gays? This is such a fucked up bill. I hope any therapist who plans to make use of this shitty law gets ran out of the field.

Please please please please vote in mid term elections.

Ms.Galaxy

Man, these anti-LGBT bills and laws are popping so quickly recently. It's a bit terrifying.

Christian Values: Give the cold shoulder to a community that is disproportionately represented in annual suicide statistics.

Hey, I can't blame them, those Christians have been persecuted for awhile now by them gay commie liberal atheists. They're finally getting the freedums they deserve.
The very fact that they seriously believe they're being persecuted for their chosen religion, while they actually are persecuting a class of people for being born a certain way, is the most sad and pathetic thing I've seen.

mclem

I'm most distressed by the notion that there's therapists who want the right to do that. Therapists.

(Assuming there actually are any therapists who want it, and not just lawmakers being arseholes because they can)

RBH

Please please please please vote in mid term elections.

This needs to be emphasized more than anything.

Hopefully, all of these recent ridiculous "religious freedom" bills that have been tossed around lately will cause people in general to wake up and realize the importance of mid-terms.

Couldn't this be readily applied to patients of different faiths? "Sorry, but my God doesn't want me offering my services to Muslims or Catholics. Get lost."

Religious exemptions to the Civil Rights act are inherently ridiculous, because a religion could theoretically exclude any person on the planet based on any number of arbitrary guidelines.

Apathy

They can't just outright outlaw homosexuality, but they definitely want to erode every civil rights law as much as they can. This is exactly what Republicans are doing to women's rights and abortions.

Ms.Galaxy

If this bill passes, I going to love hearing cases of therapists refusing blacks because of religious beliefs. Because, eventually, it'll just be brought up to the Supreme Court which will finally make these "Religious Freedom" laws unconstitutional once and for all. Keep walking that thin line, GOP, you're just going to eventually lose and lose again until your party is irrelevant.

Walpurgis

Banned
The last thing that I would want is to open up about my deepest secrets to a therapist who secretly hates me. However, they could probably refer me to another therapist under most systems for any reason (correct me if I'm wrong) so this is redundant. But we all know the real reason for this.

Man, these anti-LGBT bills and laws are popping so quickly recently. It's a bit terrifying.

Hey, I can't blame them, those Christians have been persecuted for awhile now by them gay commie liberal atheists. They're finally getting the freedums they deserve.
The very fact that they seriously believe they're being persecuted for their chosen religion, while they actually are persecuting a class of people for being born a certain way, is the most sad and pathetic thing I've seen.

There is probably an organization writing them all.

InfernoNR

Anyone who would turn someone away would not be following the ACA code of ethics, and probably should re-evaluate their decision to become a therapist. At the very least the would need to talk to their supervisor about their inability to deal with countertransference and review multicultural literature or take a class related to it. Here's an excerpt:

"C.5. Nondiscrimination
Counselors do not condone or engage
in discrimination against prospective or
current clients, students, employees, supervisees,
or research participants based
on age, culture, disability, ethnicity, race,
religion/spirituality, gender, gender
identity, sexual orientation, marital/
partnership status, language preference,
socioeconomic status, immigration
status, or any basis proscribed by law."

Foffy

Banned
Fuck your religion if it compels you to do this.

Your unaccountable beliefs are creating unaccountable behavior.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think they are all trying to push these through at the same time so its hard for companies to not operate or boycott 40% of the country

How fucked up is it that lesbian, gay, or transgendered that might be seeking therapy and having suicidal thoughts be told "sorry, I can't help you because my religious beliefs matter more than your problems"?

Fucking disgusting. I have a friend that's a counselor in Tennessee, and she's probably livid over this.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
discrimination. plain and simple. LGBT community should take this issue to the supreme court.

It's fucked up, but on the other hand I'd have to question the value of the therapy I was getting if the counselor would prefer to not be treating me.

Ms.Galaxy

How fucked up is it that lesbian, gay, or transgendered that might be seeking therapy and having suicidal thoughts be told "sorry, I can't help you because my religious beliefs matter more than your problems"?

Fucking disgusting. I have a friend that's a counselor in Tennessee, and she's probably livid over this.

Let's be frank, any therapist who actually refuses LGBT people who are suffering from suicidal depression under the guise of their religious beliefs would probably not care if an LGBT person kills themselves, they probably are much happier they are dead.

commedieu

Banned
Jesus helped people. Of all backgrounds. Including sinners.

Right?

Why are Christians in america seemingly against helping people that aren't like them?

Let's be frank, any therapist who actually refuses LGBT people who are suffering from suicidal depression under the guise of their religious beliefs would probably not care if an LGBT person kills themselves, they probably are much happier they are dead.

This is what I'm thinking. The Bill might be a good thing, just not in the way the author intended. It could direct people who need help, to people who actually want to help them. Not everyone in TN is a piece of shit.

Although overall, the idea of the bill is shitty.

This is what I'm thinking. The Bill might be a good thing, just not in the way the author intended. It could direct people who need help, to people who actually want to help them. Not everyone in TN is a piece of shit.

Except this also thins out the list of accessible counselors to a vulnerable segment of the population where the next 'nearest' option is practically unreachable.

Orpheus

Neo Member
Jesus helped people. Of all backgrounds. Including sinners.

Right?

Why are Christians in america seemingly against helping people that aren't like them?

It's the culture that's using the religion in this case. I grew up in a conservative megachurch, and as I got older I started noticing how many times the pastor had to "explain" what Jesus meant when it was plain as day. The most notable example is the whole "give your possessions to the poor" and "it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" thing. The pastor would read those passages, then proceed to spend the next hour explaining how Jesus didn't really mean that. (This same church was also "persecuted" for distributing voting guides to it's members)

There's also a real mental gap for a lot of people raised in these environments. I was so sheltered that I didn't know that LGBTQ+ people even existed until I was about 13. This is when we all started using the word "gay" in a derogatory fashion. Then add on to that the demonizing of all sexuality outside of straight marriage sex, and it takes a LOT of time, effort, and luck to undo everything you've ever learned about morality. I can't count the number of times I wept in regret at the things I had believed and the things I said in the past. It can be a painful experience, and while I can't imagine it's even close to what the LGBTQ+ community has experienced, facing that kind of pain and engaging with that kind of self reflection is a difficult choice to make. There's no excuse, but I think it's worthwhile to remember that bigots are people too, and they can change.

All that said, there are an enormous amount of Christian churches that don't have these issues. You don't hear about them often, because they tend to support and aid everyone in their community without drawing attention to themselves.

What is up with the renaissance of bigotry lately? That is, it seems like it's a daily thing that these 'religious belief' bills are being introduced.

That's the thing, i can't think of any major advances made in the past month that would warrant this reaction.

It's like...it's election year, better start the bigotry machine at full force.

The measure is part of a wave of bills across the country proposed by Conservative Christian lawmakers who are upset about the Supreme Court decision last year that effectively legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.

Also, Im not sure if its the same in all states, but you can only introduce bills during certain times of the legislative session.

Ekdrm2d1

I wonder if we will see a bill where doctors or policemen can refuse service based on religious beliefs.

I was about to make this post. Where will it end?

I'm thankful I want nothing to do with religion. Religion is rules and intolerance. Christianity is actively preventing something in my life. Good job Jesus!

That's the thing, i can't think of any major advances made in the past month that would warrant this reaction.

It's like...it's election year, better start the bigotry machine at full force.

Also, they could be appealing to the base to make sure they don't get primaried by someone further right than them.

Counselors?! That's really sad. Counselors are people who you should always be able to turn to for help. Shame that's not reality...

diffusionx

Gold Member
If there is anybody I want going into a field dedicated to helping people out, it's those who would refuse to help people don't they agree with.

I was about to make this post. Where will it end?

I'm thankful I want nothing to do with religion. Religion is rules and intolerance. Christianity is actively preventing something in my life. Good job Jesus!

It's not, people bend religion to their will.

There /are/ LGBTQ people of faith out there. Faith based therapy, sans the bigotry, could be an option for them if needed.
Yup, I went to a catholic high school. My religion teacher was gay and everyone knew about it, he would openly talk about his partner and no one cared. I know some parents complained but for the most part no one treated him any differently because he was gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom