• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnw

Banned
great, tnw! what is ponzu?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2003/0216/taste.html

I actually found some ponzu with no fish flakes in it. Technically speaking it's ponzu soy sauce. both are common.

I made this amazing soups recipe for dinner tonight.

I only made the roasted yellow pepper soup, but it's amzing when both are made and poured into the bowl per the direction

3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 yellow bell peppers, roasted and chopped coarse (about 6 cups)
1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth plus additional to thin the soup
1/4 cup heavy cream
fresh lemon juice to taste

In a heavy saucepan cook the shallot, the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the shallot is soft, add the bell peppers and 1 1/2 cups of the broth, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the peppers are very soft. In a blender purée the soup in batches until it is very smooth, forcing it as it is puréed through a fine sieve set over the pan, cleaned, and whisk in the cream, enough of the additional broth to reach the desired consistency, the lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. The soup may be made 1 day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated.

galdevo

OnkelC said:
galdevo, thanks for sharing! What drinks do you serva alongside that fiery extravaganza?:lol

A big glass of ice water.

But to cool off afterwords, I suggest one or two of these.

CIMG1328.jpg

Just save the syrup next time you open a can of pears and make ice cube tray popsicles, or I suppose you could just buy pear juice but I'm cheap. Best popsicle flavor IMO.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
galdevo, I lol'ed, thanks for sharing that idea. Thinking of it, it makes total sense.

I had my first "supersize me" experience today, called "family menu" at BK. We chose it because it was cheaper than our usual fix, but boy was it gluttony:
smallP1000870.jpg

smallP1000871.jpg

smallP1000873.jpg

smallP1000876.jpg

2 whoppers w/cheese, two cheeseburgers, two medium fries and sodas, two small fries and sodas. Most of the fries were left untouched.

Edit: tnw, thanks for that delicious soup recipe, will try that out soon.

Jacobi

Banned
He, I always get that menu with a pal, you get pretty stuffed for your 5 Euro :D
And after that you'll avoid fast food for a week or two.

The sausage post reminded me of the Debrecziner I was cooking, thanks :D
But what's that white sauce ?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Something a bit more subtle tonight, a carpaccio made from hearty cheese, fig sauce and Brazilian pepper:
smallP1000892.jpg

smallP1000896.jpg

Enjoy!

And don't forget to share your stuff!

tnw

Banned
hey, traube, a german word I remember! :D

Nice carpaccio. They make carpaccios out of sashimi fish here alllll the time. They are pretty darn tasty. What is 'hearty cheese'?

And what is that delicious looking bread?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
hey, traube, a german word I remember! :D

Nice carpaccio. They make carpaccios out of sashimi fish here alllll the time. They are pretty darn tasty. What is 'hearty cheese'?

And what is that delicious looking bread?
Hey tnw! Welcome back and thanks for the kind words.
"Hearty cheese" just refers to all strong tasting cheese variations, as Appenzeller, Manchego, Provolone and the like. The sweet/hot taste combo of the sauce goes really well with the intensive cheese taste. Fish carpaccio is a treat btw, my dad has a salmon carpaccio at the friday restaurant visits frequently:
smallCIMG4314.jpg

Bildi

A copy of my posts in the emergency E3 Food Booth thread and my first contribution to a genuine IronGAF thread:

20050627_194723.jpg

I guess you'd call them burritos - there is burrito bread buried under there although sometimes I wonder why we bother with the bread at all...

Ingredients (some of which are not visible):
Burrito bread;
Spicy mince or beef strips with appropriate sauce (salsa sauce or similar);
Puree'd tomato
Lettuce strips
Diced avocado
Cheese
Sour cream

20050629_195446.jpg

20050703_192654.jpg

Thanks OnkelC for bringing your culinary delights to the gaming side! Your cuisine reigns supreme.

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
Hey tnw! Welcome back and thanks for the kind words.
"Hearty cheese" just refers to all strong tasting cheese variations, as Appenzeller, Manchego, Provolone and the like.

so it's a mix of cheeses then? i want a manchego carpaccio now :eek:..... Is provolone a strong tasting cheese? I bought some stilton on sale instead of my normal gorgonzola picante, it's considerably stronger tasting.

and what about the bread?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
so it's a mix of cheeses then? i want a manchego carpaccio now :eek:..... Is provolone a strong tasting cheese? I bought some stilton on sale instead of my normal gorgonzola picante, it's considerably stronger tasting.

and what about the bread?
A mix of cheeses is alright, but I prefer single type of cheese variant for this. Provolone comes in several variants, you should go for the "piccante" types. Stilton or gorgonzola wouldn't fit too well for the carpaccio IMHO, they are too "creamy" for this prep. The bread was a store-bought Foccaccia with Oregano topping, just pop it in the oven for 8 minutes and you are set ;) It tasted quite good. Foccaccia is a bread made from pizza dough.
If you would like to try out homemade foccaccia, you can check out the simple recipe here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4091662#post4091662

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heh, italian stuff is all the rage in Germany. There is no real german equivalent to a foccaccia, most german breads rely on a mixture of various types grains, eg wheat and rye. Also, most common raising agent is not yeast, but sourdough.

Experimental-age:
I got to dine alone tonight, so anything would be possible as a dish. I tend to making Spaghetti Carbonara, but am open to your suggestions.

Input plz

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hooker said:
It kinda looks like you pulled it off the heat a wee bit too late Onkel :$ I like mine runny :D
taking pics and doing time-critical stuff at the same time was too much, yeah :/
I only used the yolks, so it is a bit firmer by default.

iamblades

OnkelC said:
A mix of cheeses is alright, but I prefer single type of cheese variant for this. Provolone comes in several variants, you should go for the "piccante" types. Stilton or gorgonzola wouldn't fit too well for the carpaccio IMHO, they are too "creamy" for this prep. The bread was a store-bought Foccaccia with Oregano topping, just pop it in the oven for 8 minutes and you are set ;) It tasted quite good. Foccaccia is a bread made from pizza dough.
If you would like to try out homemade foccaccia, you can check out the simple recipe here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4091662#post4091662

I'm going have to look for that.

I've only had the 'dolce' types of provolone (the vast majority of provolone in the US is that type), probably my favorite sandwich cheese, and of course pizza (plain mozzarella is boring on pizza).

rxdco07

finally, been trying to post forever on GAF, and always wondered

I'm a big fan of sushi, and dont mind eating raw fish. but hhmh

that steak tartare.

is it just raw ground/minced beef ? not cooked to brown on the sides or anything? I dont think i can possibly eat one as it is

Grecco

I had Carbonara for lunch today to be exact. Very simple, Garlic, Eggs, Bacon, Parmesan Cheese and Black pepper.

On Carpaccio i tend to favor Meat Carpaccio over Fish Carpaccio but i love both the same. God i miss Italy. :lol Carpaccio, Pizza, Carbonarra, and Zuchini Blossoms are some of my favorite dishes ever.

Anyone got a good alioli recipee ? I had the urge to make some but havent been able to find a good recipee yet.

that steak tartare.

is it just raw ground/minced beef ? not cooked to brown on the sides or anything

Havent had Tartar in a while... but it has things like worsherstire sauce, mustard and other things that kind of cook the meat so to speak. Kinda like a gaspacho i guess. Its not totally raw but it sure tastes like it. Its delicious

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi and welcome!

rxdco07 said:
finally, been trying to post forever on GAF, and always wondered

I'm a big fan of sushi, and dont mind eating raw fish. but hhmh

that steak tartare.

is it just raw ground/minced beef ? not cooked to brown on the sides or anything? I dont think i can possibly eat one as it is

It's ground beef fillet, yeah. It is not cooked at all. If you don't hesitate eating raw fish, you should give it a try. it's uncommon but tasty. Get the meat at a butcher of trust and you should be fine. I eat it about 10 times a year for several years now and never had any problems with it.

Grecco said:
Anyone got a good alioli recipee ? I had the urge to make some but havent been able to find a good recipee yet.
You could try out this quick and dirty one, goes great with grilled stuff:

5 garlic cloves
250ml olive oil
2 egg yolks
one teaspoon of medium mustard
a splash of lemon juice or vinegar
some salt and pepper
EDIT: ALL ingredients should be at room temperature.

Put all the ingredients at once in a blender and start mixing until it's creamy. Aioli bliss!:lol

tnw

Banned
Hey Onkel, I bought some Prieselberre jam today. I know you a bit about austria, is this a typical fruit there? is it often used in jam?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
Hey Onkel, I bought some Prieselberre jam today. I know you a bit about austria, is this a typical fruit there? is it often used in jam?
Preiselbeer jam is not that common as a spread in Germany, Austria or Switzerland, but it is used frequently as a side dish to dishes of wild game and baked camembert. Goes well with all types of dark meat and dark sauces. It is also a vital ingredient for the preparation of red cabbage.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The Take Out Bandit said:
IS THAT BACON?!

I picked up a tofu cook book yesterday.

Now I need to find all these crazy ass additional supplies. Like nutritional yeast. . .
Nah, it's roast onions. You could look for a jar of Vegemite if you need some nuitritional yeast, but be prepared for a taste sensation of the special kind, if you know what I mean :p

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
Preiselbeer jam is not that common as a spread in Germany, Austria or Switzerland, but it is used frequently as a side dish to dishes of wild game and baked camembert. Goes well with all types of dark meat and dark sauces. It is also a vital ingredient for the preparation of red cabbage.

can you use it as an actual jam? The berries look like red currant, do you know how to say preiselbeer in English? I didn't have much luck with wikipedia google.

oh oops, the japanese on the jar calls it lingonberry jam. Is that what it is?! Yeay! My swedish half of the family uses lingonberries at christmas :D

and vegemite is delicious! I like to put it on toast with some goat cheese. It's good on any sandwich-y type food really. What do you need to mix it with tofu for, sounds kind of odd, but typical 'tofu equals meat substitute' way of thinking

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
can you use it as an actual jam? The berries look like red currant, do you know how to say preiselbeer in English? I didn't have much luck with wikipedia google.

oh oops, the japanese on the jar calls it lingonberry jam. Is that what it is?! Yeay! My swedish half of the family uses lingonberries at christmas :D

and vegemite is delicious! I like to put it on toast with some goat cheese. It's good on any sandwich-y type food really.

"Preiselbeere" is pronounced "Pry-sell-bear-eh", and lingonberry seems to be one of the correct terms for it! At least that's what leo says:
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&la...n&spellToler=on&search=preiselbeere&relink=on

tnw said:
and vegemite is delicious! I like to put it on toast with some goat cheese. It's good on any sandwich-y type food really. What do you need to mix it with tofu for, sounds kind of odd, but typical 'tofu equals meat substitute' way of thinking

The cookbook tells me so. :(

What is nutritional yeast? Is it a powder?

tnw

Banned
The jam is made my D'arbo. the label says they're a famous well renowned company. Any truth to that?

Nutritional yeast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

" It is often jokingly referred to as "hippie dust" due to its flaky, golden appearance and its popularity among vegans."

:lol

Try making mapo tofu. I'm kind of on a kick with it. You can substitute the ground pork for TVP/gluten burger. It's pretty tasty!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
The jam is made my D'arbo. the label says they're a famous well renowned company. Any truth to that?
Dunno about Austria, but Darbo is a niche brand, if at all, in Germany. According to wikipedia, Darbo has an annual sales volume of 60 million Euro, whereas the medium-sized German jam company "Zentis" has about 600 million over a year. I'm no marketing guru, but go figure the brand recognition ;).

tnw said:
Try making mapo tofu. I'm kind of on a kick with it. You can substitute the ground pork for TVP/gluten burger. It's pretty tasty!

I've had mapo tofu, not one of my favorite things ever. :(

I prefer to stick to fried / grilled tofu.

Natural tofu is fine for soup though.

tnw

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I've had mapo tofu, not one of my favorite things ever.

:(

what didn't you like about it? It's just spicy tofu.

I'm sure chinese food in detroit isn't exactly authentic.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
*bump*

oi onk, i'm thinking of getting one of those ceramic knives for a friend of mine, and i wanted to ask you a couple of questions about them.

are you happy with yours? how often / for what do you use it? i mean, i know they're the paradigm of kitchen knives or something, but i don't want it to be just a novelty item that will be stuck in the kitchen drawer for the next five years. do you think they're really worth the price for someone who spends half of his spare time in the kitchen?

danke schön.

iamblades

valparaiso said:
*bump*

oi onk, i'm thinking of getting one of those ceramic knives for a friend of mine, and i wanted to ask you a couple of questions about them.

are you happy with yours? how often / for what do you use it? i mean, i know they're the paradigm of kitchen knives or something, but i don't want it to be just a novelty item that will be stuck in the kitchen drawer for the next five years. do you think they're really worth the price for someone who spends half of his spare time in the kitchen?

danke schön.

Ceramic knives are basically maintenance free, but they can chip fairly easily (way easier than steel knives anyway), so you have to watch how you use them. Mainly cutting meat with bones still in it and things like that. Also when maintenance IS required, they have to be sent back to the factory pretty much. Shouldn't be needed for quite a while though, as long as they aren't misused.

They are ideal for slicing fruits and vegetables and boneless meat and stuff though, as they are easy to clean, they are non chemically reactive, so much better to use with acidic foods than steel.

BTW, they aren't really all that much more expensive than mid-high end steel knives:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXQVSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009RUZ6I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ceramic knives aren't suitable at every task that a steel knife can do, but they can handle many of the lighter duty tasks in the kitchen, and can do them better than steel.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
thanks a bunch! you certainly are into blades, aren't you. i think i will get one of these after all, i'll let you all know how it went.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
valparaiso said:
*bump*

danke schön.

I got my ceramic knives as a present about two years ago, and they are relegated to novelty status in my equipment range.

They are razor-sharp and stay that way, but their use is limited to the most delicate chopping tasks, such as tomatoes, parsley or onions.

Then again, they need extra attention in cleaning and storing (no dishwasher, storing them without extra protection in the kitchen drawer together with other steel blades would be a no-no, as the ceramic blades would be prone to heavy chipping and hazardous due to their sharpness).

They are a fun object to own, but IMHO are not worth the premium over a set of decent steel knives, which can take much more of a beating.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.

I felt like a lighter dish tonight, so I improvised a bit. These are the ingredients for a "Summery Spaghetti" dish (amount of each ingredient after personal preference):
smallP1010035.jpg

tomatoes,
spring onions,
some bouillon,
cubed smoked ham or Pancetta,
creme fraiche,
some parmesan for decoration,
pasta of choice.

Preparation is easy and quick, the whole affair took about 25 minutes.

Start the pasta water. Chop the onions and cut the tomatoes in half:
smallP1010050.jpg

bonus pic: ceramic knife

When the pasta water is boiling, fry the ham cubes in a hint of olive oil:
smallP1010054.jpg

As soon as the ham gets fragrant, add the onions and stir fry for a few moments:
smallP1010061.jpg

Add the bouillon and let it simmer for about 4 minutes, then add the creme fraiche and let it dissolve:
smallP1010063.jpg

Finish line:
When the pasta is done, add the tomatoes to the sauce and turn off the heat so they will not boil:
smallP1010067.jpg

DONE!
Serve separately and top off with some parmesan if wanted:
smallP1010070.jpg

Enjoy!

And please share your thoughts and/or dishes, it's getting a bit lonely in here.

Flynn

This year's E3 was conveniently close to one of my favorite Los Angeles restaurants, Musha. The place serves Japanese food in tapas-sized servings. This yellowtail was delicious. I also had a piece of pork that was simmered for hours, producing a sweet-fatty broth on the meat. They served it with a side of spicy mustard.

785496940_0d9d26098d_b.jpg

OnkelC said:
Sounds nice, is it s sweet dish? Thanks for sharing!
Mind posting the recipe?

Yes, I was expecting something more flavorful and nutty. This was a bit more salty than I had expected.

1/2 cup roasted almonds

2lbs. firm tofu, cut into 3/4" pieces

whip together, and mix w/ tofu:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1Tbsp peanut butter ( according to recipe, I may add two next time)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (may use fresh next time, and a bit more)

Brown the tofu over medium heat until sauce is absorbed.

1 large bell pepper cut in 1" squares
6-8 scallions / green onions cut in 1 1/2" pieces
3 Celery stalks cut in 1" pieces
8oz. can of slicced water chestnuts drained.
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger root grated

While vegetables are cooking; mix together:

- 2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Once veggies are crisp / tender, add in mixture and simmer until thick.

Then add in tofu and almonds.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flynn said:
This year's E3 was conveniently close to one of my favorite Los Angeles restaurants, Musha. The place serves Japanese food in tapas-sized servings. This yellowtail was delicious. I also had a piece of pork that was simmered for hours, producing a sweet-fatty broth on the meat. They served it with a side of spicy mustard.
Awesome fish. Thank you for sharing! Was the pork cured before simmering?

And also thanks for the recipe, bandit. sounds interesting. The blandness could be removed by substituting the tofu with beef strips IMHO :lol

Flynn

OnkelC said:
Awesome fish. Thank you for sharing! Was the pork cured before simmering?l

I don't think so, Onkel. It may have been simmered with some rice wine to increase the sweetness, but I could tell that much of the sweet flavor came from the fat. The meat was very, very tender.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flynn said:
I don't think so, Onkel. It may have been simmered with some rice wine to increase the sweetness, but I could tell that much of the sweet flavor came from the fat. The meat was very, very tender.
I was just wondering because slow-cooked pork with a nice layer of fat and served with mustard resembles the German "Eisbein" quite accurately :)

mob75_1151626928.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom