• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnw

Banned
simmered dishes are a gigantic part of japanese cooking. It's called nimono.It probably makes up maybe 1/3 of what they eat maybe. I couldn't find a very good example of it, here's the best I could find

http://www.sushiandtofu.com/recipes/recipes_simmeredKelpAndLotusRoot.htm

I quite dislike nimono, mainly because of the dashi (broth) they use is almost always made from katsuobushi, fish flakes. The other reason is the use of mirin (a sweet rice wine) and sugar. That mix with the savory taste of soy sauce just tastes totally wrong to me. It leaves a very unsatisfying numbing feeling in your mouth. I almost never eat at japanese peoples' houses, especially housewives, because I know that inevitable most of what they're going to make will be katsuobushi/mirin flavoured. I much prefer the crisp sharp flavors of thai/korean food.

Flynn

OnkelC said:
I was just wondering because slow-cooked pork with a nice layer of fat and served with mustard resembles the German "Eisbein" quite accurately :)

It looks quite similar, though the Japanese pork had more of a roasted look, less pink and more white. So perhaps it was a different cut as well.

Hey all... quick update here.

I know it's been a while since I posted... we made homemade pizza for a family gathering yet again:

pizza1small.jpg

pizza2small.jpg

OnkelC said:
And also thanks for the recipe, bandit. sounds interesting. The blandness could be removed by substituting the tofu with beef strips IMHO :lol

But that defeats the purpose of attempting to learn how to cook delicious tofu dishes! :D

Any idiot can use meat in a dish, only a true culinary genius can make tofu not taste like boogers! :lol

tnw

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
But that defeats the purpose of attempting to learn how to cook delicious tofu dishes! :D

Any idiot can use meat in a dish, only a true culinary genius can make tofu not taste like boogers! :lol

I don't think tofu is bland though. Keep trying take out bandit! I would tell you to buy some Doubanjyang, but you said you don't like mapo tofu.

That pizza looks great HeavyLiquid!

No shit, what toppings are on the one you're holding? Looks like sliced tomatoes and stuff.

Man, I never could make pizza.

Then again, I never had the right tools when I tried making it as a kid. :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I cooked this for myself the other night

CIMG0769.jpg

It was just going to be steak salad and corn, but then I thought, 'what happens if you fry paprika mushrooms and onions and dump it all on top of that peppersteak?!

turns out the tasty happens.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid, thanks for the lifesign! Good to hear everything is coming along nicely for the family. I am looking forward to new contributions of yours. Regards to the wife and kid!

Edit:
And welcome back, catfish, has been a while! Looks like a good steak, what cut did you use?

tnw

Banned
Tasty looking Garnish catfish. Red Peppers and mushrooms can make anything tast even better.

I bought some Robiola at the grocery store today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robiola

While I do remember it from cheese shop working day a little, I'm eating it as is on some bread, anyone have suggestions for eating it? It's a creamy cheese (58% fat, it's like buttah)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
Tasty looking Garnish catfish. Red Peppers and mushrooms can make anything tast even better.

I bought some Robiola at the grocery store today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robiola

While I do remember it from cheese shop working day a little, I'm eating it as is on some bread, anyone have suggestions for eating it? It's a creamy cheese (58% fat, it's like buttah)
MMMMM Robiola!
Is it the cow or goat variant?
if cow, you can spice it up with some chopped rosemary and/or chives for a nice pasta sauce (goes well with fusili or even tortellini, add some of the pasta water to the cheese). The goat variant would be nice to eat on a nice fresh baguette or foccaccia IMHO.

I wish I had the culinary talents of some of you. Really pisses me off when I get hungry and don't know how to put together a delicious meal.

tnw

Banned
It just says Natural Cheese (fresh milk, salt) -_-

The name of the cheese is Pec Robiola Introbio. I'm reading the katakana, so I have no idea how that's supposed to be written in Italian (one of them was labeled robiora :lol )

it does seem like it would make a good cream sauce for some pasta, and I actually randomly have fusilli instead of the usual penne. I might have to try that! It was delicious on schinkenbrot :D

EDIT: Just found this tasty looking recipe

Robiola is a soft, mild creamy cheese that has a slightly tart flavor, and is commonly spread. It also melts well, however, and works nicely in this recipe. To serve 4 you'll need:
6 ounces (150 g) farfalline
1 pint (500 ml) milk
12 ounces (300 g) robiola
2 plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup dried porcini
Salt & Pepper to taste
A ladle of hot broth or bullion
Soak the mushrooms in lukewarm water to cover for 15 minutes or so, then chop them and filter the liquid they soaked in, setting it aside.

Crumble the robiola into the milk and heat it over a low flame, stirring constantly. Add the broth, chopped mushrooms, filtered soaking liquid, and tomatoes. Check seasoning and cook five minutes, then add the pasta. Cook, stirring often, until it's done, and serve.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw, you could also add some steamed spinach/pak choi and garlic or nice bacon cubes to the sauce for a taste explosion ;)

Karma Kramer said:
I wish I had the culinary talents of some of you. Really pisses me off when I get hungry and don't know how to put together a delicious meal.
cooking aint no wizardry, it's mostly handicraft and a bit of work practice. Just go ahead and try out the stuff that you would like to cook. I am sure everybody in here will be helpful if any questions from your part arise.

The Take Out Bandit said:
No shit, what toppings are on the one you're holding? Looks like sliced tomatoes and stuff.

Man, I never could make pizza.

Then again, I never had the right tools when I tried making it as a kid. :p

It's not that hard, really! And picking the different toppings is the fun part.

That one had spinach, onions, black olives, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, tomato slices and feta cheese. The other was 1/2 green pepper, onion, black olives and sausage, and 1/2 pineapple & ham.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Woo! My first submission to this thread

Tonight I cooked Hoikourou with a side green salad and some rice.

Ingredients

1 pack of CookDo brand Hoikourou Sauce
2 Bell peppers
1/4 Head of cabbage
300g of sliced beef

Here are the ingredients
hoikorou1.jpg

Here's the food post stir fry
hoikorou2.jpg

And here's the full course
hoikorou3.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
looking extremely good, sp0rsk! Thank you for sharing and welcome to the thread. Dish looks delicious and the pictures are also great! What camera did you use?

Show more of your stuff in the future please, I'm looking forward to it.

sprsk

OnkelC said:
looking extremely good, sp0rsk! Thank you for sharing and welcome to the thread. Dish looks delicious and the pictures are also great! What camera did you use?

Show more of your stuff in the future please, I'm looking forward to it.

I used my old 300D. Hopefully I'll be cooking more in the future, what with the old lady moving in.

tnw

Banned
lol, cook do. They always do look tempting, just none of them are vegetarian.

Looks like you have a mansion-ish apartment sporsk.

I really like japanese green peppers. The flesh is very thin

Keep posting stuff. It'll be nice to have another j-gaffer posting stuff in here.

sprsk

tnw said:
lol, cook do. They always do look tempting, just none of them are vegetarian.

Looks like you have a mansion-ish apartment sporsk.

I really like japanese green peppers. The flesh is very thin

Keep posting stuff. It'll be nice to have another j-gaffer posting stuff in here.

You'll only see me posting things I copy from my fiancee, who is 100 times better at cooking than I am. This was something she made for me a couple weeks ago and I loved it so much I tried reproducing it today. I got the taste right, but I was super meticulous about it.

Edit: My apartment is still super small, but its pretty much brand new, so its very luxurious. I love my kitchen.

tnw

Banned
sp0rsk said:
You'll only see me posting things I copy from my fiancee, who is 100 times better at cooking than I am. This was something she made for me a couple weeks ago and I loved it so much I tried reproducing it today. I got the taste right, but I was super meticulous about it.

Edit: My apartment is still super small, but its pretty much brand new, so its very luxurious. I love my kitchen.

I used to live in a really nice apartment. at least my new one is two stories, but the kitchen leaves a bit desired compared to my last place (the fish grill is totally rusted and broken, etc.). It was a totally seperate kitchen, not like 'oh hey we'll have the kitchen in the hallway opposite the unit bath!' kind of setup.

Anyway, Cook Do does all the hard parts for you anyway. I'm sure you could do something like kamameshi. Those Cook Do things usually have meat in them, so I usually make my own sauces. I bought some tobanjyan to make mabo dofu. I bought a nice kombu kinoko dashi powder too :D

If you want an awesome tomyam kun soup mix go to the Seijo Ishii in Shinjuku station near the South exit. 1 spoon paste, 1 bowl of water, ingredients= done and delicious.

painey

woke up this morning to a pretty empty house food wise, so I whipped up two hot dogs, one with american mustard and one with good old english mustard;
869687809_7cddfdba06_b.jpg

the beauty shot:
869687895_57f1615b7f_b.jpg

ate them in about 4 bites each so i found some icing sugar, mixed it with water and slopped it on the last 2 hotdog buns to make some iced buns, but they werent particularly interesting to take photos of.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The hot dogs look good, painey! I'd love to have some Colman's mustard again, but the local shop that sold british condiments has closed a while ago :(.
The iced hot dog buns sound more like a desperation move, tho :p

Thanks for sharing!

Keep it coming, folks.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Damn, now I'm in the mood for some hot dogs too. Those buns look great, since the ones used here usually are really small and crappy.

Flo_Evans

Crap. My GF's dad is coming over for dinner. He is a real meat 'n' potatoes kind of guy, no veggies, no sauces (unless its bbq sauce :lol ) I think I am gonna try and bust out my apricot pork tenderloin on him but it may backfire... Should I play it safe or trust my skill that I know whats good? Maybe I can expand his horizons? Any tips for picky eaters? I am really nervous! >_<

I'd play it safe. In my experience people over a certain age aren't very game to trying new stuff.

Great picture sp0rsk, the food looks tasty.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo_Evans said:
Crap. My GF's dad is coming over for dinner. He is a real meat 'n' potatoes kind of guy, no veggies, no sauces (unless its bbq sauce :lol ) I think I am gonna try and bust out my apricot pork tenderloin on him but it may backfire... Should I play it safe or trust my skill that I know whats good? Maybe I can expand his horizons? Any tips for picky eaters? I am really nervous! >_<
I'd second johnsenclans suggestions and play it safe. Maybe if you do an apricot chutney as a side, he'll be polite and taste it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Modest dinner tonight, homegrown tomatoes and basil, served with mozzarella and a slice of pizza:

smallP1010081.jpg

smallP1010078.jpg

Enjoy!

and share your stuff, please.

Flo_Evans

So against my better judgment and GAfs well intentioned advice, I went with made my Kahlúa-apricot glazed pork tenderloin.

The main ingredients are pork and these too things that don't seem like they will mix well. Kahlúa if you are not familiar is a coffee flavored mexican liquor.

54jvvrn.jpg

So I fire up the trusty grill (sorry charcoal fanboys!) grab some fire suppressant (I chose a nice belgian styled wheat beer), and go to work!

53tqezn.jpg

Tenderlion is a nice cut of meat and I didn't have much flare ups from fat so I just drank it :D

4kklon7.jpg

After about 15 minutes my pork is looking good so I put half the bottle of Kahlúa and half the apricots in a metal bowl and set that right on the grill to heat it up a bit and help it mix. I also add a dash of my blue moon to thin it out.

4mi6npj.jpg

After about 10 min of glazing they are lookin' real nice and I sprinkle some rosemary on it. I would of liked to use fresh, but I didn't have any.

508gxsn.jpg

Let rest for 5min then slice into 1/2" medalions, sprinkle a little leftover glaze (should be nicely reduced from sitting on the grill) and serve.

Old man loved it! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Bold move and great result, congratulations Flo_evans!
The use of a coffee-flavored spice to that glaze is interesting, I have read several recipes doing so lately.

Thank you for sharing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The best thing about a week-long holiday is that you can do everything you ever wanted, but had no time before...like visiting IKEA.
yeah.

Dinner for tonight will be Köttbullar, prepared like the swedish furniture giant does:
smallP1010085.jpg

And even if I get flak from the Swedish folks on NeoGAF again, I'll make them with pasta.
basta.

The almond cake was already sacrificed for lunch with a cup of coffee:
smallP1010097.jpg

smallP1010095.jpg

smallP1010092.jpg

Enjoy, stay tuned and share yours.

tnw

Banned
i love the food section at ikea! they have all this food I used to eat when I was younger, plus a lot of new stuff to try out. some really good cheeses :D

My mother and grandmother used to make swedish meatballs allllll the time when I was growing up. Well it was actually a special treat at the christmas only. It's kind of interesting how they've become popular with the emergence of Ikea.

Never had them with pasta though :lol

Ever had Bond-Ost cheese Onkel? It's not really that special I suppose, but the one with the caraway seeds in it is quite tasty and very nostalgic for me!

I love love lingonberries, also another nostalgia food *sniff*

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
Ever had Bond-Ost cheese Onkel? It's not really that special I suppose, but the one with the caraway seeds in it is quite tasty and very nostalgic for me!

Yes, had it a few times, but I'm not too fond of caraway seeds.

OnkelC said:
The best thing about a week-long holiday is that you can do everything you ever wanted, but had no time before...like visiting IKEA.
yeah.

Dinner for tonight will be Köttbullar, prepared like the swedish furniture giant does:
smallP1010085.jpg

And even if I get flak from the Swedish folks on NeoGAF again, I'll make them with pasta.
basta.

I think I visited IKEA more often to eat Köttbullar than to buy furniture etc.. :lol

tnw

Banned
that kind of suprises me. It just tastes kind of rye-ish, which I thought you might like.

we pretty much a choice of bondost or gjetost. the bondost was much more kid friendly, although I like both of them now.

and lefse with butter/brown sugar is also delicious!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
that kind of suprises me. It just tastes kind of rye-ish, which I thought you might like.
I dig the taste of caraway, but the etheric oils in it give me digestion mishaps, so I try to steer clear of it where I can. Same with bell peppers btw.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
oioioi gaf,

i might have to cook for the family this weekend, and i wanted to do one of those cheese and potatoes, er, "thousand layers"? i honestly don't know the english translation, but i guess it comes from the french "mille-feuille". basically it's something like thin layer of potatoes, thin layer of cheese, thin layer of potatoes, blablablablablbalbalablba put into the oven and BAM awesomeness bitecarnated.

problem is i tried to make it a couple of times and the potatoes turned out pretty uncooked no matter how thin i sliced them. does anyone know if i'm supposed to add milk or something else to the thing so it can cook properly? i got the recipe from a friend a long time ago, but i lost his number :(

thanks!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
Edit:
And welcome back, catfish, has been a while! Looks like a good steak, what cut did you use?

Good to be back, time to get into it again soon, the missus gets back from Germany-land soon and shes been visiting some chinese herbalist/detox/healthy living hippy, I'll post the results of her 'new cooking ideas'

as for the steak, something that bugs me about holland is the good cuts of steak cost around 10 bucks. For a standard meal, if you want cheapish steak then you end up with something like 'biefstuk' or in my case above some 'pepper steak'. Not too descriptive.

However, that cut was fat and tasty, so whatever it was, I'll buy it again!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
catfish said:
Good to be back, time to get into it again soon, the missus gets back from Germany-land soon and shes been visiting some chinese herbalist/detox/healthy living hippy, I'll post the results of her 'new cooking ideas'

Heh, looking forward to the catfish cooking experience!

valparaiso said:
oioioi gaf,

i might have to cook for the family this weekend, and i wanted to do one of those cheese and potatoes, er, "thousand layers"? i honestly don't know the english translation, but i guess it comes from the french "mille-feuille". basically it's something like thin layer of potatoes, thin layer of cheese, thin layer of potatoes, blablablablablbalbalablba put into the oven and BAM awesomeness bitecarnated.

problem is i tried to make it a couple of times and the potatoes turned out pretty uncooked no matter how thin i sliced them. does anyone know if i'm supposed to add milk or something else to the thing so it can cook properly? i got the recipe from a friend a long time ago, but i lost his number :(

thanks!

The name you are looking for is called "Gratin" and is an easy to make dish. Slice the potatoes with a cucumber slicer or similar device, layer them in an oiled casserole pan changing with the cheese (any cheese should do). When finished, mix 1/4l of milk or cream with some salt , pepper and nutmeg and pour it over the potaotes. Top off with some cheese and bake at 180 degrees celsius for 20-40 minutes. Done.

Normally I like my steak with nothing but salt and pepper, but the wife wanted to try a marinade she saw on Martha Stewart.

874015692_7c2c674bf5.jpg

Mashed potatoes with sour cream, cheese and green onions. Topped off with fresh bacon.

Steak marinated in lime, soy sauce, and green onions.

Flo_Evans said:
Yum! IKEA meatballs are the best. It's unfortunately a 5 hour drive to the closest one from me :(
We just went to IKEA for the first time last weekend. I wish I would have known the food was good, I assumed it was bad because it was so cheap.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice Steak!

johnsenclan said:
We just went to IKEA for the first time last weekend. I wish I would have known the food was good, I assumed it was bad because it was so cheap.

Yes, Ikea food is, albeit by no means haute cuisine, an awesome value for the money. The Meatballs are legendary, you should give them a try the next time you are around.

Flo_Evans

I love my 8" anodized aluminum skillet. Its not exactly non-stick, but its not as sticky as a naked steel pan. Of course for delicate stuff I use a non-stick but I prefer to just use alot of butter or oil :D

5xebplk.jpg

I also snapped some pics of my kitchen cause I saw Onkel post his earlier in the thread. This is pure 1950s american!

632qnv5.jpg

4xpv7li.jpg

I can't wait to move so I have some counter space and a dishwasher! I might be motivated to cook more if I could just throw the dishes in the machine.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
MORE counter space?
Man, you SINK alone is twice the size of my entire galley!:lol

Splendid kitchen though, I like the retro flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom