• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

The Take Out Bandit said:
Okay, I picked up some rice seasoning - fish flavor. How the f@ck do you use this stuff? The instructions are all in moon language. :p
This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake said:
Furikake (振り掛け or ふりかけ) is any dry Japanese condiment meant to be sprinkled on top of rice. It typically consists of a mixture of dried and ground fish, sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar, salt, and monosodium glutamate. Other flavorful ingredients such as katsuobushi (sometimes indicated on the package as bonito), salmon, egg, vegetables, etc. are often added to the mix.

tnw

Banned
Well the available flavors were wasabi, fish, and um - poop?

I went with fish as I'm not overly fond of wasabi unless I need my sinuses cleared; which is fairly often, but it doesn't have a taste I appreciate. :p

they seriously label it 'fish' flavored? I mean, I completely understand that (even to me) English speaking countries don't have a wide variety of fish. At least they wrote katsuo on there.

By the way katsuo is EXCELLENT as sashimi/carpaccio. I just (personally) dislike katsuobushi (fish flakes). You might like it though.

A good 'starter' furikake is noritama. It's probably the most generic furikake there is. Good place to start.

noritama.gif

It was the little AZN lady at the market translating for me.

Fortunately it has a picture of a fish on the bottle.

A bottle with a design of a fish.

You found fish bottle.

Will you use fish bottle? Yes/No

tnw

Banned
that's cool. at least your open to new food. not like OMGWTF furrrikaeke?!?! I only like soy sauce/butter on my rice.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Menu for the weekend:
Today will be a homemade Bolognese, tomorrow will be Schnitzel with potatoes in celebration of my first cooking post on 08-12-2006.
Stay tuned and share your stuff.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Happy Birthday, cooking stuff!:lol

Today is the first anniversary of the legendary GAF Chefs and the three cooking threads that spawned from it. When I posted my first recipe on NeoGAF, I would have never expected that there are so many capable cooks and chefs, let alone such an interest in cooking in the off-topic section of a videogames forum.

The cooking threads have become a veritable database of fine dishes from around the world and I hope the participation will be the same or even more in the future.

A big THANK YOU to all contributors, commentators and silent readers from me, it has been a lot of fun so far.

I made Some Schnitzels today to "celebrate" the year in cooking:
smallP1010417.jpg

For the new readers, the first two cooking threads can be found here:

Home-Style Cooking, Vol. 1

Home-Style cooking, Vol. 2

Everybody is invited to share your thoughts and dishes. Everything goes!

Keep'em coming.

waxer

Well i never visit the ot forum. Awsome thread.
Im a chef(well cook or whatever due to never doing any courses) in new zealand. I cant post any recipes that i use at work (shame cause seafood chowder is a specialty of ours and hard to get right if you dont know how. I make about 60litres a week and about 30litrs of pump soup) but ill try to throw a few snacks up when i make them next. Nice 5 minute gaming meals etc. Have been experimenting with scaloped potatos instead of pasta in a beef lasagne type meal with a sweet chilli cheese sauce, fresh herb, tomato, jalapeno and red wine sauce. Again next time i make one ill be sure to take pics.

Hmmm I´m hungry now :D

Great thread dude. Thanks for the .pdf. I´mr surely gonna try something, then I´ll post the result here (if i don´t put fire in my house :lol )

More veggie pasta:

63uzn1t.jpg

Anybody have any good Indian recipe cook books?

I'm looking to replicate what the local Indian place calls:

Palak Paneer - Spinach and cheese
Sem Alu - Green Bean and Potato
And there's another which is Eggplant and Potato

tnw

Banned
Take out, I've posted my palak paneer recipe a few times. You know you can actually make the cheese for the palak paneer, but I usually use a firm tofu instead.

Nice pasta!

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Does anybody have an authentic Mexican red enchilada sauce recipe? I've tried a few on Allrecipes and was disappointed, some even use tomatoes as a base :(. The best I've had is down in the states at little Mexican restaurants. We have nothing even remotely close here in Canada.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
More veggie pasta:

63uzn1t.jpg

Anybody have any good Indian recipe cook books?

I'm looking to replicate what the local Indian place calls:

Palak Paneer - Spinach and cheese
Sem Alu - Green Bean and Potato
And there's another which is Eggplant and Potato

IMMA STEAL YOUR COUPON CODES!

waxer

No food but i have some pics from work.
Family business with 2 cafes.
I work at the orinal that we have already built up but we just got a new one which is a wip. We are slowly upgrading things like kitchen equipment to get it up to our standards. Makes cooking easier and faster.

Home
6hi802e.jpg

4u4wc3l.jpg

My work
66vg8k9.jpg

4qnseb8.jpg

4z8y8wo.jpg

Other work(I dont work there very often)
The kitchen is actually bigger than where i work as there is a big work area, washing and fridges that i didnt take pics of while everyone was there.
5ytwjkx.jpg

4uoknc8.jpg

67ia7pf.jpg

waxer

The lack of big sinks at home hurts the most. But the big oven/stove tops and a walk in chiller/freezer i also miss having when at home.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
waxer said:
The lack of big sinks at home hurts the most. But the big oven/stove tops and a walk in chiller/freezer i also miss having when at home.

Imagine all the things I miss in my kitchen:
smallP1000430.jpg

:lol

haven't been cooking as much lately...as it's quite expensive to do dinners for one (and i'm not a big fan of leftovers).

here's some pics of a recent trip to canada.

poutine - my first time. not as good as everyone says, or maybe because i wasn't in quebec. it's just...gravy and fries and cheese curds? i thought i'd be more impressed.
1053503021_bf38b4a003.jpg

montreal smoked meat - pretty good. not as salty as pastrami or corned beef, but very tender.
1053501789_369114311c.jpg

bbq store in chinatown - oh man how i love chinese bbq: roasted duck, soy chicken, crispy pork.
1054362492_d59e41fdcb.jpg

i plan on making some scallops this week. care to share some good recipes? i'm thinking just a simple dish with mushrooms and seared scallops in butter.

Just shows how much of a cooking god OnkelC really is. :D

In a few days my parents are leaving for a 2 week vacation, and they decided to leave me home (what a shame :0) ). Anyway, this means I'm gonna finally be using this thread to get some good stuff on my plate every evening. I might even make some of the few dishes I know myself and post pics, but they won't be as awesome as all the other stuff in here.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
biodegradeablebean, one of the longest-time lurkers!:lol Really looking forward to seeing some of your stuff. Try it, it's not difficult.

I learned most of my cooking in places like this:

kombuese1.jpg

so I'm accustomed to close-quarter-cooking.

But I'd love to have a real kitchen sometime.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nothing spectacular this week so far, some lousy burgers:
smallP1010420.jpg

smallP1010423.jpg

PREPARED WITH LOVE!

and I tried my hands at some omuraisu (courtesy of ChryZ),

but it turned out rather OMG_LOUSY today:lol :
smallP1010439.jpg

At least the beverage was OK:
smallP1010425.jpg

I challenge you to do it better. No, really.

waxer

The grinder is a mazzer miniman and the machine a wega mininova. Does a good job and is extremely durable.
My presentation has never been to hot but im trying to get better.
Heres a few things i cook. Our food is relativly cheap and large. Aimed at avg joe that wants to go out to a restaurant.

Chicken curry with roast vegetables and a side of steamed veg.
4vqp0lv.jpg

Yet to be decorated lemon meringue
5zo32wh.jpg

Peach and pasionfruit cheesecake. Our cheesecake tins are 30cm wide (11.8inches)
6h2qkhf.jpg

Calamari salad
68bx8nk.jpg

Camembert parcel with berry sauce
4kjd2sm.jpg

Roast vegetable salad, kumera,potato, carrot and mushroom with aioli. feta and olives.
4m0qhdu.jpg

Seafood platter, Shrimp, prawns seared off in garlic butter, queen scallops grilled with sweet chilli, mussels grilled with aioli, fish, calamari, fries, salmon, salad, seared scallops in garlic butter and some of our seafood chowder coated in cheese and grilled off. Not the healthiest sounding meal.Pictures dont capture size but that plate only just fits in our comercial washer.
4qf2ozt.jpg

We of course make all our own dressing. And use honey mustard on all salads.
Honey mustard is easy because its only honey, mustard, parsly, redwine vinegar and oil.

painey

that platter looks sooo good right now

on a slightly off topic note, does anyone know the name of the fish, or indeed the dish, which is normally an appetizer which consists soley of tiny fish deep fried. They are very small fish, maybe an inch or two in length and they are fried whole, heads and bones intact as they are so small you dont notice them. When I was in holland I had them with almost every meal and i really fancy them again but cant remember the name of it.

Grecco

painey said:
that platter looks sooo good right now

on a slightly off topic note, does anyone know the name of the fish, or indeed the dish, which is normally an appetizer which consists soley of tiny fish deep fried. They are very small fish, maybe an inch or two in length and they are fried whole, heads and bones intact as they are so small you dont notice them. When I was in holland I had them with almost every meal and i really fancy them again but cant remember the name of it.

Fried Anchovies?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Waxer, those are humungous serving sizes! Are the dishes prepared from scratch or are convenience products involved?
Thanks for sharing.

painey said:
Sometimes, they are sold as "fritto misto" or "fritta mista" IIRC

tnw

Banned
Good try with the omuraisu Onkel!

The egg is usually made like an omelette though, covers the rice, and they put some ketchup on it.

like this!

1322.jpg

OnkelC said:
Happy Birthday, cooking stuff!:lol

Today is the first anniversary of the legendary GAF Chefs and the three cooking threads that spawned from it. When I posted my first recipe on NeoGAF, I would have never expected that there are so many capable cooks and chefs, let alone such an interest in cooking in the off-topic section of a videogames forum.

The cooking threads have become a veritable database of fine dishes from around the world and I hope the participation will be the same or even more in the future.

A big THANK YOU to all contributors, commentators and silent readers from me, it has been a lot of fun so far.

I made Some Schnitzels today to "celebrate" the year in cooking:
smallP1010417.jpg

For the new readers, the first two cooking threads can be found here:

Home-Style Cooking, Vol. 1

Home-Style cooking, Vol. 2

Everybody is invited to share your thoughts and dishes. Everything goes!

Keep'em coming.
*DROOL*.
I have bookmarked this thread, as my friends and I (4 of us total) are sharing an apartment starting in a month and there are some great recipes in here. We don't have a grill though :( so i'm gonna have to try and work around that. Unfortunately not having a grill kinda cripples me as a chef cause thats where like all my best dishes come from:lol .

waxer

OnkelC said:
Waxer, those are humungous serving sizes! Are the dishes prepared from scratch or are convenience products involved?

Most stuff is made from scratch but we have built the menu around our prepepared food. For our tomato and bacon pasta for instance we have a tomato sauce which we make(except for cheating by using whole tomatos in a can as blanching and reducing them gets you the same product at more cost as well as tomatos cost being way high this time of year) then we just add the bacon, sourcream, cream and pasta to it. The sauce however is a big recipe with about 5 different spices and 4 different herbs along with garlic tomatos etc.
Cooking it is easy and quick. Most our dishes keep that in mind. We only have max 2 people cooking in the kitchen, even on our busy nights. Through the week its just me or my brother depending on whos on. So keeping things simple is a must. Keeps cost way down with how few staff we require as well. In summer we have quite often have to close for an hour to have a break or else people just keep coming.
The chowder for instance takes about 4 hours to make and has a recipe 2 pages long incl directions. So our food has alot go into it when preping but not in service.
The difficulty that most people seem to have is simply tasting up their food properly. With things like pastas you have to try every single one. Getting that drilled into staff is difficult. Ive noticed hells kitchen has the same problem constantly. Maybe i need a web show.

painey

ahh just found out the fried fish is called "Whitebait" if you guys ever get the chance you should check em out, delish!

246149837_cf97e82702.jpg

bovo

Having recently moved house (and being almost a year since I first posted in OnkelC's cooking threads) I thought my first post from the new kitchen should be a repeat of the Macaroni Cheese.

The original post from Volume One can be found here. (I had to go back and change all the imageshack links to comply with the new rules!)

Anyway, a (very) few pictures of Macaroni Cheese.

(Most of) the ingredients:

Pans on cooker:

Finished (with green beans):

Hopefully will cook something new for the thread soon - but usually just cook same old stuff, so no point posting it here...

Indigo

lethial said:
Does anybody have an authentic Mexican red enchilada sauce recipe? I've tried a few on Allrecipes and was disappointed, some even use tomatoes as a base :(. The best I've had is down in the states at little Mexican restaurants. We have nothing even remotely close here in Canada.

I'd suggest this basic red chile sauce.

waxer

painey said:
ahh just found out the fried fish is called "Whitebait" if you guys ever get the chance you should check em out, delish!

New Zealand whitebait appears to be slightly different. They are very very tiny fish. You normaly mix them with seasoning, egg white and a little flour. Whitebait fritters are very popular. Looks like some sort of julienne potato fritter. They only school in the rivers at a certain time of year and are considered a delicacy. They also have a very distinctive flavour.

Tuvoc

painey said:

246149837_cf97e82702.jpg

I had something similar to this in Venezia. They are delicious! The closest thing I get to that now is shmelts(sp?). And they're not nearly as good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you all!
ChryZ, I was just lazy, so I just slapped everything together... solo cooking and stuff. NO MOCKERY INTENDED AT ALL, OF COURSE:D

bovo, good to see you back! Hope the move went smooth. Looking forward to fresh dishes!

pissmypants, best of luck with the new housing and the cooking experience. The recipes so far are really easy to make, keep us posted of your outcomes!

Grecco said:
Just had Escargot Bourgounaise any body want the recipe?
Would be the first snail dish IIRC, so share it plz!

rest of you, keep it coming, too!

mmm, some good food in here as always, and nice kitchen & restaurants, waxer!

We met a friend at a fantastic breakfast restaurant this morning. They only serve breakfast and lunch, and are open from 7am to 2:30pm every day.

Oven Baked French Toast
Towering oven baked French toast topped with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and thick streusel topping. I don't think I've ever had any "French Toast" taste so sweet.

bc01small.jpg

Banana Pancakes
Caramelized bananas topped with candied pecans. There were also bananas baked into the pancakes themselves. mmmm...

bc02small.jpg

Mediterranean Scramble
Eggs scrambled with spinach, tomatoes, black olives, onion and feta cheese. Came with hash browns and served on a hot skillet.

bc03small.jpg

All of it was delicious. We're going to go back soon and try some of their other dishes, like their crab, asparagus hollandaise omelet, and also their strawberry & whipped cream rolled pancakes (which my sister raves about).

When they bring you the bill, everyone gets a chocolate dipped strawberry. Nice touch. :)

bc04small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom