• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OnkelC said:
smallP1010423.jpg

PREPARED WITH LOVE!

It looks exactly like what they show in the commercials!

of_nonv_filofish.jpg

:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yeah, the local McD crew really went out of their way to make a decent Fillet o'Fish with this one ;)

Beavertown, NICE roast! Thanks for sharing. How did you marinate the chicken and what were the sides for that feast?

heavy liquid, thanks to you too for the wonderful pics! That's indeed a mother of french toast...:lol

I made some foccaccia yesterday (detailed Preparation can be found here), but I went without bacon this time. I also added about two tbs of olive oil to the dough, gives it a really nice colour. Side dish was a tomato salad from homegrown fruit:

smallP1010508.jpg

smallP1010510.jpg

smallP1010512.jpg

Desert was a chocolate pudding which I managed to overturn without the usual disaster:
smallP1010480.jpg

smallP1010515.jpg

Enjoy!

Tonights dish will be Käsespätzle, stay tuned and share yours!

waxer

Oh he would be pissed at more than that. But at the end of the day we dont hang towels over our shoulder. Touch our faces and hair or taste food by dipping our fingers in. For all the crap those guys talk about how food should be prepared they suck when it comes to hygiene. But then again i think he would refer to us as waffle house level. What is that anyway "fast order cook" So he wouldnt mind. Just a lowly cafe :)
Well im nackered. Day off tommorow. Had to do 6 days 10-10(or when we close which is quite often later) and one day of 10-4 break 6-10 its been a long week. Might just lax out tommorow and eat takaway food, probably sushi. I so doubt ill feel like cooking. But then again maybe ill suprise myself when i wake up in the morning and feel like baking something. Right now i feel like a gooseberry or blackberry pie.

So my parents left yesterday morning, and I decided to make some simple pasta to start these 2 weeks of cooking for myself with. I know it can't stand up to the mighty dishes you cooking gods prepare every evening, but i'll do my best. :D Beware for crappy cell-phone cam pics. :)

spag_1.jpg

Ingredients (for 3 persons):

- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Onion
- 350 grams of minced meat
- 350 grams of 'Penne' or similar pasta
- 1 bottle (690 grams, I used 2/3 of the bottle, about 450 grams) of 'Grande Italia: Sugo Casa', the tomato sauce of Gods. It's seriously is the best tomato sauce I've ever tasted. :) Can ofcourse use something similar.

Not pictured:

- Olive oil
- Pepper/salt

Heat up a frying pan with some olive oil and about 3-4 liters of waters for the pasta.
spag_2.jpg

When the water for the pasta boils, add the pasta and cook for 15 minutes to get it 'al dente'. Remove the water and add a bit of olive oil.

In the meantime...

Cut the onion and add it to the frying pan. Add the minced meat.
spag_3.jpg

Cut the zucchini...
spag_4.jpg

..and add it the to the frying pan when the minced meat has changed color.
spag_5.jpg

Stir and whhen the Zucchini start losing fluid and shrinks, and changes to slightly more orange color, add the tomato sauce.
spag_6.jpg

Heat it up for a while longer and stir well. Serve with the pasta. Can add some pepper/salt for extra spicy taste if you like, though not really needed.
spag_7.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Beavertown

Garbage
OnkelC said:
Beavertown, NICE roast! Thanks for sharing. How did you marinate the chicken and what were the sides for that feast?

I usually make a simple marinade of Worcestershire, lemon juice and orange juice. It gives it a little of a sweet and sour taste and tenderizes the meat a little.

After that I rub the meat on both sides with a few different seasonings, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder before putting it on the grill, and then I slow cook it for a couple hours and add BBQ sauce on both sides for the last 30 to 45 minutes.

Sides were baked beans and Macaroni salad. I'll go through the whole prep next time.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
biodegradeablebean, THANKS FOR SHARING! WORTHY CONTRIBUTION! Nothing like an "easy dish", every effort is worth it. It's a good idea to sex up the bolognese with some zucchini, makes a nice summer dish. Looking forward to seeing more of your cooking experiences the next two weeks. Have you made a schedule or do you plan on cooking adlib on a day to day basis? Both is fine.

Beavertown, baked beans as a side for BBQ sounds intriguing. Never heard of it before.

I made Käsespätzle with green salad tonight (Preparation can be found here), nothing special but the pic turned out fine:
smallP1010545.jpg

Enjoy and continue sharing, folks!

The pasta was yesterday, but today I made 'gyros with couscous', which is actually kinda similar and very easy.

gyros_1.jpg

Ingredients (for 3-4 persons):

- 1 Zucchini
- 400 grams of 'Gyros-meat', it's Greek I think
- 350 grams of Couscous
- A bit of French Cheese, I used 'Fourme D'ambert' which is awesome.

Not pictured:

- Olive oil

Let's start. Heat up a frying pan with some olive oil and add the Gyros.
gyros_2.jpg

Cut up the Zucchini...
gyros_3.jpg

...and add it the the gyros when that's starting to change color.
gyros_4.jpg

When the zucchini starts shrinking a bit and changes color slightly, add some of the cheese.
gyros_6.jpg

Make sure the cheese melts and mixes well with the gyros and the zucchini. The melted cheese along with the fluid from the meat and the zucchini will create an awesome kind of dressing. Taste is delicious.
gyros_7.jpg

For the couscous heat up about 3-4 liters of water. When it boils, remove the fire, add the couscous and stir for about a minute.
gyros_5.jpg

Remove the water, add some olive oil and stir for a bit. Done!

Serve the gyros with the couscous. Enjoy!
gyros_8.jpg

What do you drink with it? Dutch Grolsch ofcourse, the beer of Kings. Even the bottle reeks of awesome.
gyros_9.jpg

Any tips, comments, or possible improvements are very welcomed. :)

Edit: Thanks for the kind words, Onkel. Actually I don't have a schedule at all. I'll just see what I'll like. :) Next time I'll probably try some dish from these threads, to see how well I'll fare. :)

Hooker

biodegradablebean, next time don't use any oil to brown the minced meat, there's enough fat in it already. And add some chopped garlic and basil. Will do wonders for your dish. I like to add mushrooms and carrots to my pasta as well.

If you like the taste of olive oil (like Onkel), add the oil at a later stage. You'll waste all the flavour in the heat anyways.

(je hebt dure pasta gekocht man!)

Hooker said:
biodegradablebean, next time don't use any oil to brown the minced meat, there's enough fat in it already. And add some chopped garlic and basil. Will do wonders for your dish. I like to add mushrooms and carrots to my pasta as well.

If you like the taste of olive oil (like Onkel), add the oil at a later stage. You'll waste all the flavour in the heat anyways.

(je hebt dure pasta gekocht man!)

Thanks! I'll try all that next time (except maybe the carrots ;) ). And get some cheaper pasta. :lol

Grecco

No Pictures :( I will do this recipe again to get some pictures though

1/2 cup Soft butter
1/8 cup Finely chopped parsley
1 Shallots, finely chopped
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Brandy
16 Canned French snails
Half a Lemmon squeezed
1 Anchovie fillet
1 tablespoon Cognac
1 tablespoon Rosemary
1 tablespoon thyme
2 Egg Yolks
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Glass of Red Wine
1/8 Cup Veal demiglaze
1Dash of worshestire sauce
Crusty bread

Combine the Butter,parsley,garlic,brandy,lemmon juice,anchovie,salt and pepper, worsherstire sauce, and the egg yolks in a bowl. Whip until creamy this is the Snail Butter. (it is very delicious by itself)

Combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan, let it reduce. Stir in the Snails so the snails can get the rosemary flavor. Remove the snails from the glaze and place in a escargot dish, pipe the snail butter on top. Broil for 4 minutes. Enjoy. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the garlic herb butter.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
biodegradeablebean, you're off for a flying start:lol Thanks for the second dish, too! Couscous is an interesting side to panfried gyros. I am getting more and more curious what the week will bring. And NEVER save the few cents for a decent pasta quality, your dishes will appreciate it.

Grecco, thanks for the snail recipe. A lot of effort for the little buggers that keep gnawing on my chestnut tree at nicht ;).

Beavertown

Garbage
This is nothing special, just your basic meatloaf, but this is a good one and it's quick.

4ukegp1.jpg

1 pound ground beef
1 roll of crackers, ritz is better but had to go with basic saltines tonight.
1 egg
1 onion
1/4 cup of ketchup
1 8 ounce can or package of tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degress

Set the tomato sauce aside and chop the onion and smash the crackers and mash everything except the tomato sauce all up together in a bowl.

Form it into any shape you want, but you should end up with something like this.

631h5cz.jpg

Throw it into the oven and cook for about 35 mins and then take it out and spread the tomato sauce over the top of it and put it back in the oven for about 10 more minutes.

While it's cooking you can work on the sides dishes, I made mashed potatoes and green beans.

52ghsa1.jpg

tnw

Banned
Onkel, that spatzle looks fantastic. is that like an onion confiture on top? :O.....

I love spatzle.

Biodegradable, quite the zucchini fan, eh?

There's a great french blog that I read (in english) called Chocolate and Zuchinni. She uses zuchhini in some really awesome ways.

Wish it was a bit cheaper here, grilled zuchini is awesome.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Beavertown, great hunk'o'meat! I never tried to use crackers for the binding.

tnw said:
Onkel, that spatzle looks fantastic. is that like an onion confiture on top? :O.....
It's simply chopped onions that I sauteed with salt and sugar in an oil/butter mix for about 15 minutes. They lose about 2/3 of their volume that way and the result is pure roast onion taste.

Endgegner

My little contribution: A variation of Kötbullar with mushroooms and potatoes

DSCF0975-1.jpg

DSCF0978.jpg

DSCF0979.jpg

I actually partnered with the devil for this dish, because I used Fixfor by Maggi. Funnily, it didn't really work cause the powder instantly melted to small clumps and I couldn't get it to mix with the sauce. Tasted good anyways, cause I used extra onions and spices.

Also, this is known as a "mixed bag" where I come from, although I assure you that it's a lot better than the name would suggest ;-)

DSCF0844.jpg

p.s.:OnkelC, I think I saw you getting off the subway at Friesenplatz in Cologne maybe a month ago, I was tempted to scream out "cooking king of neogaf" but ultimately was a little to shy. Greetings from Cologne to Bonn anyways!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Welcome and thanks for sharing Endgegner! Props for making the meatballs by yourself. I tried the Maggi fix myself, the sauce isn't worth it anyway:D .

Endgegner said:
p.s.:OnkelC, I think I saw you getting off the subway at Friesenplatz in Cologne maybe a month ago, I was tempted to scream out "cooking king of neogaf" but ultimately was a little to shy. Greetings from Cologne to Bonn anyways!
LOL, I would have blushed if it would have been me (which it wasn't):lol . Greetings up the Rhine, too! did you have rain casualties yesterday? I had to swim uphill at the commute this morning.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Due to work restrictions, I wasn't able to cook anything of relevance this week, here are a few snapshots:
smallP1010547.jpg

smallP1010445.jpg

smallP1010446.jpg

share yours!

deadbeef

Breakfast

Step 1: Get the food.
IMG_1529.jpg

Step 2: Heat the skillet with oil.
IMG_1530.jpg

Step 3: Start the coffee.
IMG_1531.jpg

Step 4: Put the hashbrowns and ham in the skillet.
IMG_1534.jpg

Step 5: Cover the skillet.
IMG_1536.jpg

Step 6: Top the coffee off with more water.
IMG_1535.jpg

Step 7 (not shown): Remove the ham from the skillet; it was done.

Step 8: Flip the hashbrowns, add cheese. Don't cover again.
IMG_1538.jpg

Step 9: Serve with ketchup and orange juice.
IMG_1539.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome breakfast, but why not shred the potatoes yourself? Thanks for sharing, Dice Man!

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!
Jacobi hs just finished another edition of "Food for Thought", the inofficial NeoGAF Cooking E-Zine. The recipes are great and the artwork is Pulitzer worthy, give it a try, digg it, shout to the neighbors and spread the word, folks!

Downloads here:

http://download.yousendit.com/FC403B455755875A
high version (36 MB)
http://download.yousendit.com/5AD6931228ABFED4
low version (7.9 MB)

Enjoy!

Flo_Evans

oh nice, downloading that PDF and printing it now!

Last night in honor of OnkelC I made some delicious bratwurst. (I didn't have my camera with me sorry)

Now in my youth I would just buy some brats throw them on the fire and be done with it. I learned this 2 step method working at a resturant and now is the only way I make them.

1st you boil the brats in a mix of water, beer, onions, and apples. Can also add some sour kraut to the mix. You cook them fully (about 15-20min) in this stew of awesome and after they are done transfer them to a pan or the grill to crisp up the casing. Guaranteed to squirt hot juice in your eye!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo_Evans said:
oh nice, downloading that PDF and printing it now!

Last night in honor of OnkelC I made some delicious bratwurst. (I didn't have my camera with me sorry)

Now in my youth I would just buy some brats throw them on the fire and be done with it. I learned this 2 step method working at a resturant and now is the only way I make them.

1st you boil the brats in a mix of water, beer, onions, and apples. Can also add some sour kraut to the mix. You cook them fully (about 15-20min) in this stew of awesome and after they are done transfer them to a pan or the grill to crisp up the casing. Guaranteed to squirt hot juice in your eye!
sounds interesting, what consistency were the brats before cooking them?
use this as reference please:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4092661&postcount=299
thanks for sharing.

I'll be off until late thursday (family-in-law-birthday party again), so keep the kitchen going while I'm away, OK folks?

It's not cooking, and it's not eating fresh™! But it's delicious.

The TToBMT! :p

Start with a length of French Bread, and chop a piece off!

4vhw0tv.jpg

Now for some animated GIF magic!

4zd9amq.gif

First I put down some sub dressing on the bread. It soaks in and makes the bread tasty, as opposed to putting it on the meat, in which case it just drips all over the damn place.

Layer 1 - Provolone
Layer 2 - Beef Bologna
Layer 3 - Bavarian Ham
Layer 4 - Hard Salami
Layer 5 - Sandwich Pepperoni

Season with black pepper, and add some pepper rings and black olives. You can also add jalapenos for extra kick. I just don't have any on hand. :(

All this for just $17. $17 you say? Yes! You can make three 12" subs from a loaf of french bread, and I've got lunch meats left over for more subs! Get high, f@ck Subway!

Eat Myballs!™

jtardiou said:
why do you guys do this to yourselves..

Clearly to disgust your weeaboo ass.

I think a better question would be, why do you come into a food thread and bitch? :lol

what would make you think onkel is female? :lol

His weeaboo-ization is complete. And in Japan a woman's place is the kitchen, love hotel, or being groped on the subway. :p

Last night my family got together and had a Mexican feast with some help of a friend of the family. We purchased the ingredients at our local Mexican grocery store in the afternoon and cooked it all up in the evening.

Shrimp and Chorizo w/ Cactus and Tomato

DSCF1363.jpg

DSCF1364.jpg

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1369.jpg

DSCF1375.jpg

DSCF1378.jpg

DSCF1386.jpg

DSCF1390.jpg

BBQ Pork Short Ribs and Carne Asada

DSCF1374.jpg

DSCF1391.jpg

DSCF1392.jpg

DSCF1399.jpg

DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1425.jpg

Avacado Ensalada (salad)

DSCF1429.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1435.jpg

DSCF1436.jpg

Salsa

DSCF1418.jpg

DSCF1420.jpg

DSCF1447.jpg

DSCF1452.jpg

Mexican Rice

DSCF1405.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

warming the tortillas:

DSCF1417.jpg

DSCF1451.jpg

Finished!

DSCF1454.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
sounds interesting, what consistency were the brats before cooking them?
use this as reference please:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4092661&postcount=299
thanks for sharing.

I'll be off until late thursday (family-in-law-birthday party again), so keep the kitchen going while I'm away, OK folks?

They where big chunks raw sausage type. I would of liked to of gone down to the farmers market and gotten local bratwurst, but I was in a hurry so I had to go to the big box supermarket.

Its a common brand here called johnsonville... they used to have these annoying commercials that had some guy minding his own business cooking brats out on a lake then this asshole runs up and screams "Charlie's cooking johnsonville braaats!" and all these moochers run up an steal his sausage. Now everytime I walk past them in the store I hear that. Damn advertising!

productImage.png

supposedly an old family recipie from Austria that includes:

Pork, water, corn syrup and less than 2% of the following: salt, dextrose, monosodium glutamate, flavorings, BHA, propyl gallate, citric acid.

Thriller

Ok first of all im sorry for two things : i couldnt be bothered to take more pics then the end result because it is SO simple AND im sorry that the pic that i took was made with my webcam since my parents have the normal one.

ok here we go...

ingredients :
Salt / pepper
Focaccia bread
Lettuce
Goat cheese
olives

Get a focaccia bread and pop it into the oven and wait untill its done.
In the meanwhile cut the goat cheese into slices.
Cut the bread in half and put the goat cheese in the middle, season it a bit with pepper and salt and proceed to putting the lettuce on top together with the olives.
Thats it....

Enjoy!!!

6h85ffq.jpg

Wolffen

heavy liquid said:
Last night my family got together and had a Mexican feast with some help of a friend of the family. We purchased the ingredients at our local Mexican grocery store in the afternoon and cooked it all up in the evening.

Heavy Liquid, that all looked damned tasty. Any chance of sharing a recipe for the rice and salsa?

Wolffen said:
Heavy Liquid, that all looked damned tasty. Any chance of sharing a recipe for the rice and salsa?

Thanks! Here's the recipes:

Salsa:

1/2 diced onion
cilantro
juice from 1 lemon
garlic
4 cans of tomatillos
1 small can of chipotle in adobo sauce

Combine it all and blend to your desired consistency. It's best (and easiest) if you have an immersion blender (the white thing in the first two pics of the salsa)

The tomatillo is also known as the husk tomato, jamberry, husk cherry, mexican tomato, or ground cherry. Even though tomatillos are sometimes called "green tomatoes", they should not be confused with green, unripe tomatoes. It's very common in Mexican sauces and salsas.

You should be able to find them (hopefully) canned in either your local Mexican grocery store, or maybe the international section of your store.

Mexican Rice:

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup long-grain rice
1 can (about 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups beef broth

Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic until the onion is softened. Add rice to the pot and cook over medium-high heat until rice has browned. Add your tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and beef broth.

Bring to a boil and then cover, lower heat, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes or so). Taste and add more salt if needed.

edbrat

I just lurk on this thread but I have to chime in and say Heavy Liquid your family dinner looked really tasty, so thanks for posting about it.

I live in the UK and (unless you know a Mexican I suppose) I will never get close to that, I am very jealous :)

Some really fascinating stuff getting cooked on here, I will mobilise my mobile phone camera when I make something, eh, not too embarassing.

Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to your cooking edbrat! Nothing to be ashamed of, even if it's nothing (you think is) special. Even fast food is posted in this thread from time to time. As long as it's edible, I say post it! :)

Tonight was another family dinner. We grilled some burgers and corn, and had a nice salad with it.

I seasoned the ground beef with cracked pepper, rosemary, fennel and thyme.

DSCF1466.jpg

DSCF1472.jpg

Fresh tomatoes from my dad's garden:

DSCF1474.jpg

My dad making the salad dressing. I'm not even sure what the recipe is, but it's very good. I'll find out and post it if anyone is interested. It contains oil, vinegar and pepper among other things.

DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1476.jpg

Grilling the burgers:

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg

Grilled corn:

DSCF1481.jpg

DSCF1483.jpg

All the fixins:

DSCF1478.jpg

Finished!

DSCF1493.jpg

DSCF1487.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

Dice Man said:
That's a lot of forks. The corn and tomatoes look delicious - from the garden?

:lol Thanks. I didn't even notice the forks. Yeah, there were only about 12 of us, so way too many forks. I think my mom had a couple glasses of wine before she put the forks out. :)

The tomatoes were from the garden, but not the corn. My dad used to grow his own corn, but it's been at least 10 or 15 years since then.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jtardiou said:
why do you guys do this to yourselves..

EDIT: onkelC, are you a female? just curious
5-small.jpg

no.

GREAT STUFF EVERYONE, thanks for sharing and keep it coming.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Well thanks! Good to hear that the efforts aren't in vain.

Some pics from the OWL trip:
Meatloaf with traditional sides
smallP1010629.jpg

smallP1010633.jpg

Homegrown apple:
smallP1010597.jpg

7:30AM
smallP1010635.jpg

smallP1010636.jpg

smallP1010641.jpg

smallP1010654.jpg

Wowza! Looks great, OnkelC!

Lunch today was a deli sandwich.
Turkey Reuben w/ turkey, sauerkraut, melted swiss cheese and russian dressing on rye bread. Served with a kosher pickle, of course. :)

DSCF1509.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome sammich. I'm out of words.:lol

WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT!

I dig the photography assignments, so let's try it in ze kitchens. It's a cook-off at last!:D

First theme is "Pasta and sauce".
Entries must be prepared/cooked THIS WEEKEND and published with the recipe until monday night.
Pic of the finished dish is a must, but additional prep pics are allowed, too.

Posters pick the winner and runner-up.

Best contribution wins respect! Winner will choose the next weekend assignment, but will not be allowed to participate.

Keep'em coming.

deadbeef

OnkelC said:
Awesome sammich. I'm out of words.:lol

WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT!

I dig the photography assignments, so let's try it in ze kitchens. It's a cook-off at last!:D

First theme is "Pasta and sauce".
Entries must be prepared/cooked THIS WEEKEND and published with the recipe until monday night.
Pic of the finished dish is a must, but additional prep pics are allowed, too.

Posters pick the winner and runner-up.

Best contribution wins respect! Winner will choose the next weekend assignment, but will not be allowed to participate.

Keep'em coming.

That's an awesome idea. I am making pasta tonight - not competition pasta by any means :lol , but what the heck, I'll put up some pics.

Hooker

Why not extend it to next week Onkel. I want to participate but don't have the means to do it on such short notice (ingredients not readily available - student and no car).

'Plus, it gives some people the chance to prepare and conjure up something special

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hooker said:
Why not extend it to next week Onkel. I want to participate but don't have the means to do it on such short notice (ingredients not readily available - student and no car).

'Plus, it gives some people the chance to prepare and conjure up something special
Would also be fine with me, other opinions?

This Weekend or the whole next week?

made braised beef short ribs tonight. used merlot and chicken stock as a base, rosemary, thyme, carrots, tomatoes, red potatoes, garlic, and onion. fall off the bone, tender after 2 hours in the oven.

1288845911_aba662b242.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom