• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo_Evans said:
Yeah I would like to steal that sink when I move out.. I think that might forfeit my security deposit though :lol
:lol

Only this for tonight (we had burger lunch today):
smallP1010131.jpg

Share your stuff and more kitchen pics, please!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Behold ze magick trick:
smallP1010134.jpg

smallP1010135.jpg

smallP1010136.jpg

...drumroll...

smallP1010137.jpg

TA-DA!:lol
I'm on holiday and a tad bored, salad tonight

Here's my first contribution to this awesome thread. Something really quick and easy to prepare for poor students like meself (I admit it, I have *almost* nothing in mah kitchen, but still ;p ).

Ingredients: Beef Salami (I bought this from the Amish community in Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua), Rice, Vegetable salad, Beans, Asadero cheese, salt, garlic powder, love.
1a.jpg

First, cook the rice (2 cups of water per each cup of rice, slow burn), then when it's still wet add the vegetables. Let it cook for a while. Add salt + garlic powder to improve flava flav.
2a.jpg

Let's cook these babies. Look! there's our asadero cheese! (chihuahua variety, of course)
3a.jpg

Just a little bit of vegetable oil will do the trick. When the salami is crispy, put the asadero cheese on top and let it melt.
4a.jpg

Voila! The beans were already cooked so I just heat them up with salt + onion powder
5a.jpg

Ah...a happy man.
6a.jpg

How about some. . . TOFUDDING?!

Strawberry Tofudding that is. :D

52x8k8g.jpg

This turned out quite well, although I can probably pull the oil from the recipe and it will be fine.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I love how this thread becomes a stealth excuse to just end up posting a picture of yourself.

tnw

Banned
I like tofu pudding!

I used to 'make' it using this mix. It's one of the few things that silken tofu is good for

Mates_Lemon

I also a little like annin tofu (almond tofu), which is a desert. It's made from almond powder not soybeans. It's really popular here.

img10022362297.jpeg

tnw

Banned
oh, uh, I've never actually made it. They sell it at the convenience stores here and stuff.

the title is a misnomer. It actually tastes like coconut milk :D

I did buy a mix once at an asian grocery store in minneapolis.

oh, here's a recipe. just ignore the whole canned fruits part. I can't stand it when they mix it with fruit cocktail.

http://www.mitsuwachicago.net/english/store/recipe/0607annin.htm

you could probably mix some agar agar/gelatin with some coconut milk if you can't find a mix.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Trp, great dish in the vein of the home-style cooking tradition, thanks for sharing. And welcome to the thread. The cheese looks interesting, can it be compared to Mozzarella, or does it have a taste to it?

Fun fact: Since nearly all Salami used in commercial cooking over here is "enhanced" with Nitrite for curing reasons, the chefs are not allowed to fry or bake those sausages (cancer prevention). So if you get a german Pizza with the salami added after the baking process, you can be sure that it has not naturally ripened:lol

Bandit and tnw, the puddings look intriguing.

Very easy to make onkel!

1lb Silken tofu, soft.
About a cup of fruit.
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
a bit of oil maybe 1 or 2 tbsps, I used peanut.

Toss it all in a food processor and go to town! WOOO YEAH!

I was totally eyeballing the operation and it turned out quite well. :D

Onkel, asadero cheese is pretty much like mozzarella, maybe a bit more 'meaty'.

And capslock, you're just a jealous individual. Good for you.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Trip Warhawkins said:
Onkel, asadero cheese is pretty much like mozzarella, maybe a bit more 'meaty'.
sounds good, never heard of it before. Thanks for clarifying!

Trip Warhawkins said:
And capslock, you're just a jealous individual. Good for you.
smallCIMG0750.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

bandit, nice and handmade, I dig!

tnw, looks good, too!

Flo_Evans

my GF is going out of town so we went out to dinner at Sen, my favorite thai/japanese/chines/asian place so she would remember how awesome I am and not leave me for some tan actor in LA.

We started out with some unfiltered sake. It was a bit wierd, very sweet like rice pudding. We also got some crab rangoon but ate them all before I remembered to take a pic. Opps. they were good. The best part is their sweet and sour is made with pineapple instead of ketchup. I can't stand ketchup based sweet and sour.

522r9fp.jpg
4qx1z0z.jpg

I got the "choo chee", basically deep fried grouper with a bunch of stuff in a bed of awesome red curry. They only serve this at dinner, and that sucks for me because the restaurant is only 1 block from my office :(

My girl got some pan fried noodle dish called "drunken noodle" it is supposed to be so spicy it makes you dizzy :lol

By the end of the bottle I had really warmed up to the Nigori so I got another bottle to go! :D

Indigo

OnkelC said:

As an aside, I had no idea that there were Dunkin' Donuts shops in Germany until you posted this drool- worthy photo. Sadly, I discovered that the nearest one is over 170km away... ROADTRIP! :D

Tausend Dank OnkelC!!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
yeah, dunkin donuts is a bit of an obscurity and seems to be heavy Berlin-centered, too:lol
I was surprised that our small town has one, too. I don't think they'll spread as fast as Subway for examples, as they charge an initial franchise fee of 3million Euro...

Flo_Evans, very impressive dishes indeed. The GF must have been impressed by it.

We had some Burgers yesterday:
smallP1010182.jpg

And a fireworks as dessert:
smallP1010246.jpg

prep can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 4641021&postcount=113

Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Chanterelle with smoked bacon and pasta tonight, lettuce hearts as a side:
smallP1010249.jpg

smallP1010256.jpg

smallP1010252.jpg

Enjoy!

Everybody else starving or just too lazy?

Indigo

Okay, here's my contribution... my lunch! Leftovers from dinner last night, so unfortunately I don't have any action shots of my untidy kitchen. Maybe that's a good thing.

yellowrice.jpg

Yellow rice and chicken (Arroz con Pollo)

Recipe can be found here

This is probably my favorite dish and never fails to bring back childhood memories. I must apologize for the poor photography, I just discovered that taking good looking photos of your meal is bit more difficult than you might imagine. :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that the "Vigo seasoning" mentioned in the recipe is really just a mixture of paprika and saffron and imparts the yellow coloring. If you can't find this particular brand, similar products can usually be found in grocery stores. Failing that, just use a bit of paprika and a pinch or two of saffron.

tnw

Banned
I made that robiola soup today. I used wild rice instead of pasta in it. i didn't have enough robiola to really give a strong robiola taste to the soup, so I tried adding some grruyere that I had in the fridge (it being a good melting cheese and a cream based soup). It was pretty good! I'm going to keep experiementing with the leftover wild rice that I have in other things.

Hooker

I had some fun last night as well, my camera's dead so my words will have to make due. No title/name for it, as it borrows heavily from other classical dishes. It's basically pasta, chicken and a cream sauce.

First, put a pan of water on the stove, SEASON IT (!!) and add your pasta when it's boiling. Then cut the chicken into fork-size pieces, and spice it with italian spices (basel, oregano, marjory, thyme) and a bit of comsume/salt. Add a healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper.

Fry this in olive oil (needs to be HOT), and when just browned a bit, add a shot of Vodka and torch the ****er :D. Your normal flambé I guess. Press a bit of lemon juice in here as well, I reckon about 1/4th of the lemon. (don't ask for measurements, the gods of Cooking lead me and I do everything to taste really) Put everything aside in a bowl (the chicken should be just undercooked at this point.)

In the fragrent oil still present in your pan (wok) put in 2 large challottes (chopped) and 2 large cloves of garlic (chopped). Once those are coming along nicely add in some finely chopped lemonzest. During this, you may find that there isn't enough oil/liquid in the pan. I poured in some of the liquid that came off the chicken. Once this is done, dump the "mixture" onto the chicken in the bowl, layering it basically.

Return the pan to the stove, add a bit more oil to it and fry a handful of sliced mushrooms. Add salt and a splash of balsamic vinager. Enough for the mushrooms to absorb it, but not have them swimming in it. You can also do something else to flavour the mushrooms, I just love the mushrooms/balsamico combination. Be sure there is no (dark) liquid in the pan, or it'll ruin the creme colour of your sauce.

Once they are done, chuck the chicken & onion mixture in. Add a handful of quartered cherry tomatoes and mix it about a bit and pour in some cream, enough for it to be a sauce. Now TASTE IT!! Add more lemon-juice/salt/pepper to flavour.

Your pasta of choice should be done now as well (I used normal spagetti) and add it bit by bit to the sauce, so every string is coated with the delicious sauce (be careful, you'll ruin the dish here by adding too much pasta)

Serve it on a bed of rucola (rocket) and drizzle a bit of good olive oil on there. Slice of lemon on the side.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, greek tonight, Saganaki (panfried Feta cheese in a beer-batter-type cover):
smallP1010260.jpg

Mixed Grill (Gyros, Souvlaki and Bifteki with steamed spinach, panfries and tzaziki):
smallP1010262.jpg

smallP1010266.jpg

Enjoy!

thirty

Banned
here's a fried fish and egg dish that is simple yet fantastic. you can just just about any fish, this case i used salmon but i've made it with albacore as well and it came out great. just be sure to use a good knife and be careful handling the fish as it can be delicate. you can bread it just about any way you want but i like using panko bread crumbs as it creates an amazing crunch. oh, don't forget to season the fish and egg with salt, pepper, and paprika. also present with chopped parsley and your favorite sauce, i used sriracha sauce here.

edit: don't overcook the egg as the yolk creates an amazing sauce for the fried fish.

6bm0ha9.jpg

Tuvoc

So are you saying just coat the fish in panko and fry in olive oil? Also, did you cook the fish first and then cook the eggs in the oil you used to cook the fish in?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thirty, looks like a breakfast of champions! Thanks for sharing.

I made scrambled eggs tonight (keys: start with a cold skillet and add a hint of soft cheese)

smallP1010274.jpg

smallP1010275.jpg

smallP1010281.jpg

smallP1010282.jpg

smallP1010285.jpg

smallP1010289.jpg

smallP1010297.jpg

smallP1010302.jpg

Enjoy!

thirty

Banned
Tuvoc said:
So are you saying just coat the fish in panko and fry in olive oil? Also, did you cook the fish first and then cook the eggs in the oil you used to cook the fish in?

yes, i just coated the fish in panko and fried them, but using a binding agent, like an egg wash or milk, before the panko coating is probably a good idea if you want a good even coat. i cooked the egg first then the fish. the pan will be too dirty for the egg if the fish is cooked first.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nothing spectacular yesterday, but tonight we had homegrown tomatoes with mozz and homegrown basil, accompanied by a frozen baguette:
smallP1010306.jpg

Enjoy.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
RumpledForeskin, good to hear! Try out more of ChryZ's stuff, all of his stuff is excellent and the recipes are spot-on.

taku, great pic. The "eating" one in the "post pictures" thread is also funny:lol

Thanks for sharing.

ChryZ

Thank you, guys.

Great ... now I feel kinda bad for keeping such a low profile lately :(

I guess my posting-3-recipes-per-week days are over, but I'm going to share another nice recipe in the near future.

To all the people posting here: great job! I sure do love to lurk here :D

taku

OnkelC said:
RumpledForeskin, good to hear! Try out more of ChryZ's stuff, all of his stuff is excellent and the recipes are spot-on.

taku, great pic. The "eating" one in the "post pictures" thread is also funny:lol

Thanks for sharing.

thanks, not as funny as your onion pictures though :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Burger BBQ tonight, tomorrow will be the premiere of this:
1225_basilikumnocken_490_310.jpg

Basil tappets with bacon and Mozzarella.

What's your culinary weekend schedule?

So I got one hour sleep, and I woke up and was like - man I'll do laundry and make waffles!

So I get out the mix which I keep in a tupperware container with the instructions on top.

Mix two cups of Aunt Jemima mix, 1 1/2 cup water, 1/3rd cup oil.

Mix it up.

Man, this shit is runny!

So I add more mix.

Man, WTF?! Still runny.

Mix in the rest of the batter.

STILL RUNNY! OMGWTF?!

So I get the Jiffy pancake mix out and add some in. Okay the consistency is about right.

Pour some into the waffle iron. Man, something isn't right - this batter still looks too fluid.

It was then I realized, I was using my powdered sugar instead of the Aunt Jemima mix.

I've caramelized my waffle iron.

4zvedra.jpg

Well, time for pacakes. :(

Moral of this story: Don't make waffles without sufficient sleep! :(

Dascu

OnkelC, my mum would like the recipe for that bacon/mozzarella thing you posted yesterday. Thanks in advance.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sure, here you go.
The "Nockerln" are a hybrid of Gnocchi and dumplings, I found the recipe in my favorite Household magazine and wanted to try it out. Preparation took about 60 minutes from first pic to first bite. It's a nice and fast dish, but not exactly suited for Summer IMHO. It would be best after a long autumn walk or so.

Ingredients are:
two handful of basil leaves,
100 ml milk,
8 slices of toast or other white bread,
100 g Polenta,
100 g grated Parmesan,
1 egg and 2 yolks,
Salt, pepper,
250 g Mozzarella,
3 garlic cloves,
3 tablespoons butter,
8 slices of bacon

blend the basil leaves with the milk:

smallP1010313.jpg

smallP1010314.jpg

remove the rind from the toast, cube it and put it in a mixing bowl with the cheese, polenta, egg and yolks. Add the basil milk and mix until you get a smooth dough:
smallP1010326.jpg

smallP1010329.jpg

Let it rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime, chop the garlic and sautee them at low temperature with the butter:
smallP1010330.jpg

smallP1010332.jpg

when the dough had its rest, make 10 to 12 dumplings with the help of two spoons:
smallP1010334.jpg

Finish Line:
Boil them in salted water until they rise to the top, then place them in a casserole pan, drizzle them with the garlic butter, top off with mozzarella slices and bacon, pop in the oven at around 220 degrees celsius for 15-20 minutes (done when it looks good):
smallP1010347.jpg

DONE!
smallP1010353.jpg

Enjoy.

German readers find the official recipe here:
http://www.lust-auf-genuss.de/index.php?hp=38&nid=3&rid=1225

tnw

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
It's "prepared bonito" or "furikake katsuo".

look up furikake in wikipedia.

I can't believe it's translated as 'rice seasoning'. I thought it was some like pilaf powder or something.

btw, I can't f@cking stand katsuo, but that's just me. I like ume shiso best, although I don't really eat furikake that much anymore. I prefer to eat my rice with tsukemono.

Well the available flavors were wasabi, fish, and um - poop?

I went with fish as I'm not overly fond of wasabi unless I need my sinuses cleared; which is fairly often, but it doesn't have a taste I appreciate. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom