• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Aquaman the greatest butt of a joke ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good example of what Spider-Man can do when you upset him.
qsPdm.jpg

Kinda neat and yet...

Nope. No, sir. I don't like it.

Definitely not the Spider-man I loved as my favorite superhero with as a kid growing up. He never had to do such things to kick ass like back in the 80s like when he manhandled the entire X-men himself. He's wasn't some dark douche, that was what Venom was for. He was the sarcastic funny douche!

Kinda neat and yet...

Definitely not the Spider-man I loved as my favorite superhero with as a kid growing up. He never had to do such things to kick ass like back in the 80s like when he manhandled the entire X-men himself. He's wasn't some dark douche, that was what Venom was for. He was the sarcastic funny douche!

He still is! This is just an example of what happens when Spidey starts to give zero fucks.

Slayven

Kinda neat and yet...

It's rare but when Spidey's shit taking mmeter reaches full. Watch out.

6jUA1.jpg

Kusagari

Kinda neat and yet...

I disagree. The entire point of Spidey is he's human. And humans, especially when everything is taken from them, can devolve into savages. As long as it's kept as something that only occurs every so often, I like them exploring that side of his character.

Don't get me wrong, I would hate if they did an entire series of him like that.

Kinda neat and yet...

Basically, the dude, Kaine is is clone, or brother. What Kaine used to do to people was give them the "Mark of Kaine." He puts his hand on the persons face, sticks to it and rips off the skin there like that. So when he was killed and whatnot, Spider-Man got angry, and basically did what Kaine does, except to that chick. Spidey rarely uses the "Mark of Kaine," but if he does, he's probably mad.

And he's usually funny - these moments are relatively rare, and he usually wears that black costume for those.

Slayven

Don't get the wrong idea from a rare display of grimdark; Spider-Man is still by default a pretty quippy guy.

j0UWx.jpg

I loved in Exacliber the wrecking crew took time out of fucking up London to cry about hating Spiderman. They shadowed it but Piledriver was obviously in tears.

I disagree. The entire point of Spidey is he's human. And humans, especially when everything is taken from them, can devolve into savages. As long as it's kept as something that only occurs every so often, I like them exploring that side of his character.

Don't get me wrong, I would hate if they did an entire series of him like that.

I can see him go there now and then, but I don't completely agree. His greatest appeal of his unwillingness to take another life, overcoming the frailties of his humanity while living it, his funny sarcastic nature, when all the shit Marvel has done to him time and time again to his character (especially living through the painful clone saga of the 90s), he's always that one powerful enough to stand taller than just an average joe even if he doesn't always one to be. That makes him Marvel greatest and most well known hero of all. Despite the burden of his own humanity, he keeps going. With great power comes great responsibility; I love how Peter takes that in stride.

It's rare but when Spidey's shit taking mmeter reaches full. Watch out.

6jUA1.jpg

Now this is funny.

noah111

Still Alive
And we all know what happened to that guy.....

1252623-siege_2_legion_cps_024_025_super.jpg

Namor is the main character of the Marvel universe.
That has to be one of the dumbest things i've heard about comics in a while.

EDIT: Come on Sentry (the NeoGAF poster)... really? Really? Maybe we can have DiCapiro with green skin as the Hulk too. There is only one obvious choice for Namor in Hollywood, if you can smell what I'm cooking.
Did you watch Inception? He has the perfect look of Namor (slightly younger). Just perfectly, the slick hair to the eyes and face shape, it's a hell of a lot more accurate than the Rock imo..

Did you see the Looper trailer? It's evident there as well! The Rock is the wrong pick in every single way.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Was definitely getting ready to post the flash god button episode where he beats the smack out of Luthor by running circles around the damn planet faster than anyone else can blink.

Flash is so incredibly god tier it's not even funny anymore.

Slayven

Was definitely getting ready to post the flash god button episode where he beats the smack out of Luthor by running circles around the damn planet faster than anyone else can blink.

That why I loved Zoom(Hunter), you felt Wally's fear over having someone faster then him.

jaxword

I always thought that was a bit silly to make the character that fast. I mean, that means no villains should be a threat to him anymore (besides someone faster). So ALL of his rogues who aren't as fast would be disarmed and knocked out in a few seconds with that kind of speed. And Batman's rogues too. And every else's, too.

He could literally clean up the entire country in a few months with that sort of speed.

I always thought that was a bit silly to make the character that fast. I mean, that means no villains should be a threat to him anymore (besides someone faster). So ALL of his rogues who aren't as fast would be disarmed and knocked out in a few seconds with that kind of speed. And Batman's rogues too. And every else's, too.

He could literally clean up the entire country in a few months with that sort of speed.

FlashsaveseveryoneinPyongyangbeforeanukegoesoff.jpeg

ReiGun

I can't find the images, but Barry and Wally outrunning the Black Racer in Final Crisis was so hype. Dudes outran death itself.

Tizoc

Don't get the wrong idea from a rare display of grimdark; Spider-Man is still by default a pretty quippy guy.

j0UWx.jpg

Greg Rucka writes an excellent Spidey. If anyone's interested, this is part of the Omega Effect storyline, Part 1 is in Avengind Spiderman #6 (which is out now) and Part 2 is in Punisher #11 (or was it 10?) which is also out.

The Sentry sucked for most of his time around, but I'll always love him for ripping that piece of shit Carnage in half.
I got back into comics around the time of House of M and have been reading pretty much non stop since then and the one thing I don't get is why The Sentry gets soo much hate. I mean it seems like a pretty cool idea for a character. This absolutely god tier character who could be the best of the best but he is just batshit insane. The times I read the character in The New/Mighty/Dark Avengers I really dug him and the whole idea behind him.

I also really liked the set up they had for him when they first created him with him being this guy who had existed in the past but had wiped everyones memory of him having ever existed and all the flashbacks to his previous adventures. Seemed like an awesome idea.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
FlashsaveseveryoneinPyongyangbeforeanukegoesoff.jpeg

Quicksilver not flash but i loved it in the ultimates how over and over again everyone is all "Dude quicksilver, bro, could you like .. help a little now and then?!"
" If you go back and slow down the security tapes you'll see that i saved your life 11 different times." ...

and of course..

jgv0E.jpg

FZlUe.jpg

OddbI.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Family Guy makes fun of Aquaman. Therefore, its a tired joke.

I think one good movie, and we have this shit sorted. I think his problem for me, is that I can't think of any of his great villains off the top of my head.

Riposte

Dark Avengers was pure awesome and The Sentry played a big role in that. It AMAZES me that Bendis also wrote Siege. What a terrible ending of that plotline. And then the final issue of Dark Avengers was great again.

It seems like they wrote themselves into the corner with The Sentry, but they could have found better ways to kill him. Like I mean the God of Fear + Loki could have totally fucked his shit up. His character was a mentally-vulnerable god-like being, his downfall should have been mental.

That has to be one of the dumbest things i've heard about comics in a while.

Can't handle the Swag

Family Guy makes fun of Aquaman. Therefore, its a tired joke.

I think one good movie, and we have this shit sorted. I think his problem for me, is that I can't think of any of his great villains off the top of my head.

The problem is finding an actor who has enough dignity to spare to lend themselves to be Aquaman.

Get Nick Cage, he loves working.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Dark Avengers was pure awesome and The Sentry played a big role in that. It AMAZES me that Bendis also wrote Siege. What a terrible ending of that plotline. And then the final issue of Dark Avengers was great again.

It seems like they wrote themselves into the corner with The Sentry, but they could have found better ways to kill him. Like I mean the God of Fear + Loki could have totally fucked his shit up. His character was a mentally-vulnerable god-like being, his downfall should have been mental.

Can't handle the Swag

Sentry's best moment was finally letting go and fighting the hulk at the climax of WWH. And he still got punched out at the end.

They wrote themselves in a corner with sentry because they tied him to a team so early and it became a "Call sentry he'll fix it.... call sentry he'll kill it ... call sentry he'll do whatever we ask cause he's nuts"

and then they had Osborn start group therapy sessions with him...

snowwhiteimout.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The problem is finding an actor who has enough dignity to spare to lend themselves to be Aquaman.

Get Nick Cage, he loves working.
Eh, there are plenty of good actors who need the money, work and exposure. Although, I'm sure they'd put some hunky uncharismatic lump of wet cardboard in front of the green screen instead.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sentry's best moment was finally letting go and fighting the hulk at the climax of WWH. And he still got punched out at the end.

His finest moment was rocking the shit out of molecule man. But its kinda hard to come back from making a character godlike.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
His finest moment was rocking the shit out of molecule man. But its kinda hard to come back from making a character godlike.

I forget that fight exactly.. but did he die and then come back to life in that one? I know he did that like 3 times. Die. Then come back to life. Like he was taking the L.

Parallax

I forget that fight exactly.. but did he die and then come back to life in that one? I know he did that like 3 times. Die. Then come back to life. Like he was taking the L.

Molecule man split his atoms up, and he put himself back together again. He then gave him an ultimatum to fix the rest of the crew or die. Molecule man put everyone back together, and bob scattered him anyway.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Molecule man split his atoms up, and he put himself back together again. He then gave him an ultimatum to fix the rest of the crew or die. Molecule man put everyone back together, and bob scattered him anyway.

lawl that's right. Remember now.

Sexy yellow win button...

Slayven

I like this thread because you can talk about comics. Creator and art talk bores me beyond wanting Quietly never to put pen to paper again.

Parallax

I like this thread because you can talk about comics. Creator and art talk bores me beyond wanting Quietly never to put pen to paper again.

If this turns into a quitely shitting thread, I would be cool with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom