• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Bloodborne the best game this generation?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you like walking simulators and prefer mediocre cover shooters, sure. ;) The environments in TLoU are very detailed, but never impressed me in the way Bloodborne did fin terms of level design and atmosphere.
I'm one of the few here who don't hate TLOU but yeah in terms level design and atmosphere, Bloodborne is waaaay above TLOU.

Barakov

Best From game? Definitely. If it wasn't, people wouldn't be clamoring for a sequel so badly. The so called GOTG? That's far too subjective to say for sure. Me personally? It's definitely top 5. I think one of the marks of a truly great game is one that you think about going back to. And Bloodborne definitely makes me think that. In fact, maybe it's time for another playthrough.

WolfusFh

So, we are talking about action RPGs right? If so, then witcher 3 is far better than any of the "souls-like" games in my opinion, except for Sekiro, because I can't talk about what I didn't play at all.

If it's not about action RPGs, then I can name quite a few:

Nier Automata
Hollow Knight
DMC 5
God of war 4
Maybe Re 2 remake
Zelda BOTW
Maybe Personsa 5

Belmonte

Are there many technical issues with Dark Souls 3 on consoles? I'm legit surprised how few people mentions Dark Souls 3 in their best games of generation list. It is a near perfect game.

When your talking game off the gen I would think fantastic numbers, story, setting, gameplay and graphics!

Bloodborne was awesome ds3 was awesome but I think witcher 3 takes it. Rdr2 was also amazing.

Thats fine but all of fromsoft games at there core are hack n slash/character action games that limit movement. There extremely light jrpgs most people run the same 2 or 3 builds and thats it the combat around those games is hit,dodge,collect/level up the end. Iv played every fromsoft souls game from demon souls on and what they bring to the table is just that I would say Nier automta is the final form of what souls games should be difficulty can be hard with tons of rewarding combo options and weapons to switch in and out plus a leveling system that builds on top of creating a faster and more option base game play. You arent limited by a stupid stamina bar most people dislike souls games because of the fast combo heavy bosses that can throw out a 10 hit stun lock combo and the only thing you can do block,dodge or is eat the damage. In nier I can run around,parry,dodge set up a frame perfect starting combo ect.

It's fine to have preference. i personally don't care for combos and love the dark souls style combat, aside from that many people love the world, atmosphere, lore and rewarding exploration in fromsoftware games.

V2Tommy

If you like walking simulators and prefer mediocre cover shooters, sure. ;) The environments in TLoU are very detailed, but never impressed me in the way Bloodborne did fin terms of level design and atmosphere.

Fine, fine. In that case, Persona 5 is the game of the generation.

Bryank75

Banned
Preferred GOW, that would be my GOTG.
Spider-man, Witcher 3, Sekiro and Bloodborne then.

I actually think Destiny is up there too just based on how much time I put in and how influential its been.

Last edited:
I can't say definitively that Bloodborne is the game of the generation, but I can say definitively that it is a masterpiece and a highly respectable choice for game of the generation.

SklZZzK.jpg

RedVIper

Banned
Knack is clearly the GOTY this generation.

The only thing wrong with BB is that I have to play it on a freaking vacuum cleaner.

What a stupid post.
Comparing 2 very different games as if they were the exact same genre.

What's next? "Battlefield is better than Dark Souls, they are the same thing, but Battlefield is 1st person, and instead of melee weapons and magic it has guns and is not medieval fantasy inspired."
Didnt know I couldnt compare to action games hack n slash games are a sub genere of action games and FROM Souls games are at its core action games.

It's fine to have preference. i personally don't care for combos and love the dark souls style combat, aside from that many people love the world, atmosphere, lore and rewarding exploration in fromsoftware games.
And thats fine I just prefer options that are on the fly and flexible when it comes to combat then having your variety be made from static lvls and equipment load outs.

LordKasual

Banned
Without question, yes Bloodborne is the best game of this generation.

I'd honestly give second place to Breath of the Wild, as much as i hate feeding into Nintendo's overrated narrative.

Danjin44

Didnt know I couldnt compare to action games hack n slash games are a sub genere of action games and FROM Souls games are at its core action games.
Because not all action games are aiming for the same thing, again Vanquish is third person shooter but it plays vastly different than games like Gears and Uncharted, you can't really compare them. I LOVE NieR Automata but I don't want Souls games play like that and I don't want Automata or other action games play like Souls, different games are aiming for different experience, that how we get variety in our games.

Ar¢tos

Sure... Go play From games like you play hack n slash games and tell me how far you get....
The top down shmup parts of Nier are basically a clone of Bloodborne...

I LOOOOVE NiER Automata (My personal GOTG) but I agree with you, Automata going for a very different gameplay style compare to Bloodborne and even Sekiro. Its like comparing Vanquish to Uncharted, yes both are third person shooters but its very, very different gameplay styles.

Going to adapt a line from the TheGamingBritShow to say that we should compare Vanquish to Uncharted. Both of them are shooters. The fact that Vanquish features MUCH better gameplay doesn't lose validity because they're "different genres". They're not. Vanquish just plays better. Now, you can argue that Uncharted makes up for that with visuals, explorations, narrative, anything else in the experience. Which is also the same if we group Bloodborne, Automata and DMC 5. They're all action games. DMC has better combat, then Automata and then Bloodborne. Automata makes up in other areas (being my personal GOTG as well) and so does Bloodborne.

Combat mechanics in action games should always be compared with the best. Right now, the best is Devil May Cry 5. That's the 10/10.

Danjin44

Going to adapt a line from the TheGamingBritShow to say that we should compare Vanquish to Uncharted. Both of them are shooters. The fact that Vanquish features MUCH better gameplay doesn't lose validity because they're "different genres". They're not. Vanquish just plays better. Now, you can argue that Uncharted makes up for that with visuals, explorations, narrative, anything else in the experience. Which is also the same if we group Bloodborne, Automata and DMC 5. They're all action games. DMC has better combat, then Automata and then Bloodborne. Automata makes up in other areas (being my personal GOTG as well) and so does Bloodborne.

Combat mechanics in action games should always be compared with the best. Right now, the best is Devil May Cry 5. That's the 10/10.
But games like Bloodborne is very different combat system than DMC, FROM wasn't going for heavy combo system for their combat, people who playing games like Bloodborne are looking for vastly different experience than DMC. I also like Vanquish better than Uncharted but Platinum were making that game as an over the top shooter while ND making UC as a Hollywood style 3rd person shooter.

Here is another example: All these three games are SRPG but each game plays vastly different from each other and they are aiming for for different things. sure you can have preference which one you like more but none of them makes better than each other because these three games might be SRPG but each game have very different combat system and mechanics.

220px-Valkyria_Chronicles_4.png
Fire_Emblem_Three_Houses.jpg
Mario_%2B_Rabbids_Kingdom_Battle.jpg

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I dunno about best game, but definitely the best FromSoftware game (IMO of course). It's setting, faster than Souls gameplay, weapons, loved it all. I liked Sekiro for similar reasons, although it was a bit TOO fast for my aging reflexes.

But games like Bloodborne is very different combat system than DMC, FROM wasn't going for heavy combo system for their combat, people who playing games like Bloodborne are looking for vastly different experience than DMC. I also like Vanquish better than Uncharted but Platinum were making that game as an over the top shooter while ND making UC as a Hollywood style 3rd person shooter.

Here is another example: All these three games are SRPG but each game plays vastly different from each other and they are aiming for for different things. sure you can have preference which one you like more but none of them makes better than each other because these three games might be SRPG but each game have very different combat system and mechanics.

220px-Valkyria_Chronicles_4.png
Fire_Emblem_Three_Houses.jpg
Mario_%2B_Rabbids_Kingdom_Battle.jpg

I don't see why you can't compare them. Although my post unintentionally made it sound like I was talking some objective truth lol it's possible for someone to prefer the combat in Bloodborne than DMC 5. And like I said, the gameplay doesn't come from just the combat. Maybe there's stuff in Uncharted that put it past Vanquish.

I personally think we should always compare stuff in the same broad genre IF we're considering the big picture in the game. God of War has a bad camera for combat, Bayonetta has great camera for combat. When it comes to that, shouldn't the first take some inspiration from the second for its sequel?

Last edited:
Top Bottom