• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Brotherhood the best sword design from Final Fantasy?

Brotherhood is wayy too fucking busy. Caladbolg is much cooler IMO

My personal fav is Lightning's gunblade though. It's basically a giant switchblade that turns into a gun, I love it

squall.jpg

I prefer the gunblade myself

BAM! First post nails it.

Love the case, too:

stT3nGe.jpg

Nephtes

Gunblade.

Worst Playstation One Final Fantasy...

Best sword in entire series.

Close second Atma Weapon (FFVI)

Lod7

Neo Member
Zanmato, The red bluish hilt and the effect it has in the game just adds so much to the simple design

It shoots a bullet into the blade to vibrate it and cause extra damage. This is reflected in the game by pressing R2 right when the attack hits the enemy.

Yeah, my understanding is that the trigger 'boosts' the sword strike, causing more force = more damage.

Historic gunblades actually fired a round as a (I assume desperation) projectile. :p

bj4aTQZ.jpg

Se6Ywru.jpg

The Gunblade is a cool idea but the way the executed it was stupid.

Cervantes from SoulCalibur has a pistol sword that actually looks somewhat functional.

latest

Lionheart > VII Ultima Weapon > Buster Sword > Revolver > Blazefire Saber > Everything else

Shoutouts to Blazefire Saber being practical to use and useful beyond the first few hours of XIII.

It certainly has the most character. The Buster Sword is iconic but pretty dumb when you look at it. It's as if Square wanted to be able to rend something easy so Nomura had his kid draw up their dream sword. Nomura added the two circles and the Buster Sword was the result. Noctis' sword is kinda cool if only because it has an engine on it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly FFX sword reminds me of some horrible cheap plastic toy, on the other hand FFVIII gunsword looks awesome.

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20061007015853238.jpg

Choose one lol Of course, the Engineblade is my favourite since it's the only one we had the chance to look up closely.

06.jpg

Look at this sexy beast. Although I believe this isn't the default sword in the game anymore, it surely looks badass.

I also want to mention Cloud's sword in Advent Children:

WU1o0tP.jpg

That thing was cool. It was one of the main reasons I wanted a FFVII-2 game. I just wanted some kind of gameplay utilizing that crazy-ass sword. :D

CorvoSol

I think the most creative sword design in FF recently has been Machina from Type-0 and his drill rapiers.

Christ those would be painful to be stabbed with. And then they spin! WTF.

My favorite move in all of Type-0 is Machina's drill jab. He gets other, more interesting ones, but in his final mission of the second playthrough you get to use it on a boss and its just so satisfying to watch it trigger like a million kill sights and rip the boss up.

Vlitra

Banned
I also want to mention Cloud's sword in Advent Children:

WU1o0tP.jpg

That thing was cool. It was one of the main reasons I wanted a FFVII-2 game. I just wanted some kind of gameplay utilizing that crazy-ass sword. :D

Care here to mention this one. I really dig the designs of some of the smaller blades.

ApharmdX

Banned
The sword with the coolest name has to go to the Mythril Heart in FFXI or the Ogre Nix in VI. Coolest design? Hmm. I like the Tournesol:

latest

Ashkeloth

I've been a fan of the Brave Blade Bartz wields in the Dissidia series since I saw it:

Dissidia-BraveBlade.png

Simple but stylish. Colourful but not gaudy. It's also a decent size for a weapon which seems like a rarity in the Final Fantasy series.

Honorable mention to Gabranth's Chaos Blade/Highway Star combining dualblade.

Famassu

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20061007015853238.jpg

Choose one lol Of course, the Engineblade is my favourite since it's the only one we had the chance to look up closely.
I haven't really watched the old trailers in a long time, but looking at this picture now, I think I'm seeing at least 2-3 weapon types around Noctis that we haven't seen him use yet in any Versus XIII/FFXV footage.

pantsmith

ffxiv-relic-weapons-pld.png

Paladin_FFXIV_Art_3.jpg

Harkens to different styles, influences and even eras of Final Fantasy - genuinely feels somewhere between Yoshida and Amano's art styles. Love it.

Always been my favorite as well.

I find Lightnings sword/gun thing a nice spiritual successor to this too.

Lightning_1600x1200_v3.jpg

Blazefire_Saber-ffxiii-weapon.png

Sort of... honestly, I never really paid much attention to how it looked. I just like how she uses is.

I do like Light's weapon in that it can be changed into a balde or gun depending in her role, but the sword itself is kinda boring as all her upgrades are just changes in colour schemes. The body itself stays the same, the rest of the gangs weapons all change more.

FFIX_-_SavetheQueen.png

save_the_queen_sword_by_scarecrovv-d5lkxwj.jpg

Beatrix-battle.png

Nah, my favorite is still Save the Queen. It has a certain elegance to it that's reflected in its wielder. Brotherhood is a close second, maybe the Revolver too.

DarkKyo

You guys are insane.

Pizza cutter is the most awesome sword, so OP it doesn't appear on the game

I love that weapon! And they appear(they are Judge weapons and they show up in an ability or two I think), but definitely not as equippable weapons sadly.

eaEYWss.png

Top Bottom