• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Brotherhood the best sword design from Final Fantasy?

Mesmerize Blade from FFVIII.

FFRK_Mesmerize_Blade_FFVIII.png

Balphon

Brotherhood certainly has a stark and memorable design.

I always kinda liked Lightning's Blazefire Saber, myself.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The hook at the end of the Brotherhod ruins it.

Gunblade for me, it has some historical background and it looks slick as hell.

It certainly has the most character. The Buster Sword is iconic but pretty dumb when you look at it. It's as if Square wanted to be able to rend something easy so Nomura had his kid draw up their dream sword. Nomura added the two circles and the Buster Sword was the result. Noctis' sword is kinda cool if only because it has an engine on it.
It probably won't be Noctis' default weapon in the game though.

No. I always disliked that sword because of the color, its shape, I just don't like it. Lightning's blazefire saber is much better IMO.

And as for Noctis' engine sword. One of the first trailers had Noctis swing the sword and the engine could be heard revving. (End of the gif)

That's when I fell in love with the Versus XIII world and I think they, while different, were some of the best looking weapons in FF. From what we've seen of Versus sometime after it became FFXV they seem to have toned down the engine motif that existed on most of the weapons and they look more like generic, albeit over designed, fantasy swords. Not many of the weapons seemed to retain their radiators and such.

This and this

As opposed to what we have now.

Anyone else notice that? I believe there was one of the former in the trailer with the titan but it wasn't in Episode Duscae as far as I know.
The swords with the motors are probably going to end up being higher tier weapons for Noctis to use.

I will likely never play any of the FF13 games, but damn Lightning's sword is rad.

My heart will always be with Oathkeeper from Kingdom Hearts, though.

p3Cc2xL.gif

The swords with the motors are probably going to end up being higher tier weapons for Noctis to use.

That's more or less what I'm assuming the case is, considering the Duscae trailer with the titan as well as what SE said about Noctis' movements during combat evolving as he levels up, but I have my doubts. It'd be a shame to have those swords join Stella and old Regis.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why aren't the chains connected?

Buster for me

Its an artists rendering of it, they effed up.

I will likely never play any of the FF13 games, but damn Lightning's sword is rad.

My heart will always be with Oathkeeper from Kingdom Hearts, though.

p3Cc2xL.gif

I didn't realize that this was ANY sword design. I thought it was just starting weapons.

I thought Oblivion was really rad when I played KH2, but nothing beats using Action Replay to get Kingdom Key + Mickeys Inverted Kingdom Key dual wielding as final form. SO rad.

zma1013

Having not even played FF7 and having no attachment to it, I really like the buster sword for its simplistic design and industrial look. Kinda reminds me of some large industrial shear blade or something.

Gunblade is a good runner up, although it always lost a point for me for not actually have a barrel that shoots bullets.

Breads

Banned
OP is asking about default weapons, not ultimate ones.

You sure about that? Because the thread title and OP's very own example Brotherhood, a weapon the MC neither starts with nor gets for hours into the game betrays that stray line the OP mentions about default weapons.

Disagree. Always felt Brotherhood looked really plasticy and cheap lol. I agree with the poster that said it looks like a toy. And not the nice variety...like poundland quality

My fav has to be Lightnings sword...it's
Multipurpose, doesn't seem overdesigned and is unique enough but not ridiculous looking.

Probably just nostalgia speaking, but the Buster Sword is wicked cool. If I saw a mother fucker holding that in real life I'd get the hell out of the way. Can't really say the same about the others because they look like toys or just a regular generic sword. The Gunblade is kind of cool but doesn't have the same badass appeal.

Branduil

Probably just nostalgia speaking, but the Buster Sword is wicked cool. If I saw a mother fucker holding that in real life I'd get the hell out of the way. Can't really say the same about the others because they look like toys or just a regular generic sword. The Gunblade is kind of cool but doesn't have the same badass appeal.

I'd get out of the way because he's probably about to fall down and accidentally amputate someone/something.

I think it looks pretty silly, but the fishook-inspired tip is a neat idea for a game with so many nautical/tropical areas, even if it makes no sense from a practical perspective.

Razmos

You mean mesmerize blade from Record Keeper.

There is no mesmerize blade in FFVIII. There's a goat monster called mesmerize that has a giant blade for a horn and record keeper chopped its head off and called it a sword.
It's actually a dagger so isn't relevant anyway

Falk

that puzzling face
I think it looks pretty silly, but the fishook-inspired tip is a neat idea for a game with so many nautical/tropical areas, even if it makes no sense from a practical perspective.

... To catch fish?

Geez does Square Enix need to spell it out for you!?

Damerman

So good! But Oblivion is GOAT:

1RfRVGd.jpg

oblivion is badass... much prefer the KH 2 lionheart.

200px-Lionheart_KH.png

also don't see what is wrong with sephiroth's blade. it's a classic in my mind.

it's an impractically long katana...but he's so powerful yet it's kind of unassuming in it's simplicity.

3339366-4185062345-Sephi.png

Falk

that puzzling face
Pfff Sephiroth's Katana.

Let me tell you, if Caius had been the one to stab Aerith, there'd be Aerith kibbles all over the room.

Damerman

Pfff Sephiroth's Katana.

Let me tell you, if Caius had been the one to stab Aerith, there'd be Aerith kibbles all over the room.

lol caius' sword is ridiculous. also, Aerith woundn't have had as graceful a scene after her death. maybe it would have been a scene of Cloud pouring her ashes into the northern crater.

I think it's perfect. It highlights the superhuman strength of SOLDIERs and the lack of any ornate decoration reminds you that they are essentially bred by Shinra to be simple killing machines.

This is saying how well the sword works in the context of its story... But the sword, stand alone, by itself is both terrible in design and function.

Falk

that puzzling face
"Aeris is gone.
Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh, cry...... or get angry...... or serenely float to the bottom of the pond in one piece"

Take a look:

377z9Ykl.jpg

07zZ5jsl.jpg

Tell me that sword isn't awesome. Is there a default sword that's more interesting than this one?

That sword is part of the reason I dismissed X as a child.
I mean the bit at the bottom looks like a diseased scrotum
and a blade that looks like its made out of water just seemed
dumb to me as a kid.

Still looks really dumb

That's more or less what I'm assuming the case is, considering the Duscae trailer with the titan as well as what SE said about Noctis' movements during combat evolving as he levels up, but I have my doubts. It'd be a shame to have those swords join Stella and old Regis.
I understand your doubts. Most people will agree the weapons in the demo are.....well pretty plain.

You sure about that? Because the thread title and OP's very own example Brotherhood, a weapon the MC neither starts with nor gets for hours into the game betrays that stray line the OP mentions about default weapons.
I stand corrected then.

Top Bottom