• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Brotherhood the best sword design from Final Fantasy?

Rodin

squall.jpg

I prefer the gunblade myself

First post wins

Always loved Beatrix's Save The Queen. I also liked the Giant Stonebow in XII because of how silly it looks. Larsa's sword was super classy too.

Mory Dunz

Haven't played every Final Fantasy, but I'd say yes.

(Buster Sword and Gunblade? Really? Or is it because they just like the game.)

Pinky

Banned
(Buster Sword and Gunblade? Really? Or is it because they just like the game.)

Nope. I legitimately like the design of the Buster Sword. It's simple, but looks intimidating. It's not fucking around trying to look fancy and decorative. I wouldn't want to be struck with it.

No. I always disliked that sword because of the color, its shape, I just don't like it. Lightning's blazefire saber is much better IMO.

And as for Noctis' engine sword. One of the first trailers had Noctis swing the sword and the engine could be heard revving. (End of the gif)

That's when I fell in love with the Versus XIII world and I think they, while different, were some of the best looking weapons in FF. From what we've seen of Versus sometime after it became FFXV they seem to have toned down the engine motif that existed on most of the weapons and they look more like generic, albeit over designed, fantasy swords. Not many of the weapons seemed to retain their radiators and such.

This and this

As opposed to what we have now.

Anyone else notice that? I believe there was one of the former in the trailer with the titan but it wasn't in Episode Duscae as far as I know.

HeeHo

I really liked the Brotherhood sword in FFX, but I was always partial to the Nailbat in FF7. I like how thugish of a weapon it is compared to everything else.

Cloud-Nailbat.jpg

But even more so, I really liked the Yoshiyuki from FF7 as well. Really simple.

86px-FF7_Yoshiyuki.jpg

Edit: didn't realize we were talking about defaults only. I personally hate the Blazefire Saber for some reason. It looks like it would fold up on you. Even though it's a little ridiculous, I like the Buster Sword a lot.

Sai

I'm surprised by how long it took for somebody to mention Cloud's Fusion Sword, thought it was kind of a hit with the FF7 fans.

First thing that came to my mind, anyways.

buster sword always

Buster-Sword-Replica-550-x-735.jpg
That's the best replica I've seen of the Buster Sword. Friend of mine would kill for this.

Is this from that YouTube channel? The guys who make swords from games 'n stuff?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
377z9Ykl.jpg

The design isn't even that good! And functionally, anyone holding it like this would risk stabbing themselves in the top of the wrist/forearm by that spike pointing down from the hilt.

Always been my favorite as well.

I find Lightnings sword/gun thing a nice spiritual successor to this too.

Sort of... honestly, I never really paid much attention to how it looked. I just like how she uses is.
Yeah. I always liked the FF13 version of Gunblades. They aren't very iconic or varied in looks, but I appreciate how they made the concept of a Gunblade "function over form" (at least within what would make sense in Final Fantasy, not real world where the moving parts and transformation would tear it apart) where you have a Gunblade that can actually function as a gun (and it's an automatic pistol, too!)

EDIT:
Nope. Classic Amano blades are best blades.

All kinds of mystic cutting action.
I have the Famicom FF3 box sitting on my desk and it occurs to me that the character featured on the FF3 box is using a sword that is almost exactly the same as that (minus some differences in detail).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hell yes it is.

I was gonna be a bit snarky and post the FF1 fighter holding his sword but you start that game unequipped so...

Auron's. Big without looking unfeasible, especially since he carries it on his shoulder and generally handles it like it weighs what it ought to-- big heavy swings, thunking into the ground. It's got a clean look with only a bit of ornamentation, some gilding near the base and red/green wrapping on the hilt.

Is the Brotherhood supposed to resemble a fish hook?

Yeah, that was the idea. Same for his red sword.

Shogun1337

Thread results:

1) Brotherhood's still the best. It's fucking beautiful, whoever came up with that design did something very exceptional there.
2) Yagyu Darkblade in FFXII
3) Masamune

Tournesol's nice... not the coolest in my opinion but I respect it.

Eh. It's plain. It hides its plainness with what you think that intricate design on the blade is, but it feels a little cheap.

Ridill has a special place in my heart.

HiPwbkI.jpg

Wowww I remember this legendary weapon... if you saw someone with one of those, they were the .001% of Final Fantasy XI. Those were the days.

Top Bottom