• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Clementine from The Walking Dead black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

She reminds me of (Vine person)
GG4rwe3.jpg
Who is black and white. Given that her dad is black I'm going to assume she's 75% black 25 white.

hwalker84

She reminds me of (Vine person)

Who is black and white. Given that her dad is black I'm going to assume she's 75% black 25 white.
She reminds me of the Hodge Twins who have only one instance of Caucasian in their family which was several hundred years ago (a book was written about their family lineage)

hodgetwins.png

Black Parents
Black Grandparents
Black Great Grandparents

Yes we come in all kinds of shades Gaf.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll be honest. I don't recall the family picture form episode one, so I thought she had an asian ethnicity. All I really took from the idea of a black man guarding an asian girl was just a commentary that the social constructs that people were so used to prior to the outbreak were rendered meaningless afterwards, its just people trying to survive.

Seeing that Clem's parents are black, and she's black, doesn't really change that in the end.

Besides, we are all denying what Clementine really is

SHE'S AMERICAN, BY GOD!

dr guildo

This should go in that video game revelations thread. I always thought of her as asian.

How could you conclude she is asian when you know for sure that her father is black ?

By what kind of magic ? Just explain to me please...

jerry1594

She reminds me of the Hodge Twins who have only one instance of Caucasian in their family which was several hundred years ago (a book was written about their family lineage)

hodgetwins.png

Black Parents
Black Grandparents
Black Great Grandparents

7qTyir8.png

do these two look like they belong to the same race to you ?
Sigh... there's so much wrong with your reasoning I don't know where to begin.
No, they don't look similar. Do they look like 2 black people? Clementine is a little ambiguous but if you've ya know...read the tread you'll see that black people occupy a wide range of shades and looks.
He'll I'm 100% black and I get confused for Hispanic and sometimes Arabic when I grow my facial hair out. There's just so much wrong with thinking a character design is bad because their race isn't instantly recognizable. I just... ducking flabbergasted over here.

Black Parents
Black Grandparents
Black Great Grandparents

Well.......

It seems as if some people don't understand that.

I am black.... I get asked some silly questions when people see family photo's. With family from Panama, Jamaica and Hong Kong. We have some very interesting shades in one family photo.

HeelPower

Sigh... there's so much wrong with your reasoning I don't know where to begin.
No, they don't look similar. Do they look like 2 black people? Clementine is a little ambiguous but if you've ya know...read the tread you'll see that black people occupy a wide range of shades and looks.
He'll I'm 100% black and I get confused for Hispanic and sometimes Arabic when I grow my facial hair out. There's just so much wrong with thinking a character design is bad because their race isn't instantly recognizable. I just... ducking flabbergasted over here.

Then the game's art style doesn't show these subtle nuances.

She doesn't have any facial features that remotely resemble an african american.

No her eyes, nose , hair....just nothing.

When I saw her I immediately registered her as asian for the entire first season.

These hodge twins are easily recognizable as African american despite their light toned skin.Look at their noses, their lips and the musculature of their faces.

Celementine is poorly designed if the devs had an attended a particular race for her.Not that it matters in the context of the story.

rhoq

Clementine is black and 100% awesome. Seriously though, if you didn't see her family portrait - it's hard to tell. Her character design is kind of "ethnically ambiguous".

Sneds

Races aren't as so clear-cut as you seem to think. According to American society, if one of your parents is black, then you are black. That means that Clementine could have a very varied family tree racially, have a pale complexion herself, and still be considered black.

So yes, Lee and Clementine could well belong to the same race.

15 pages on the power of "she doesn't look like I think a black should look, but it doesn't matter because what is race but stardust memories of a butterfly anyway?"

I love Gaf

Then the game's art style doesn't show these subtle nuances.

She doesn't have any facial features that remotely resemble an african american.

No her eyes, nose , hair....just nothing.

When I saw her I immediately registered her as asian for the entire first season.

These hodge twins are easily recognizable as African american despite their light toned skin.Look at their noses, their lips and the musculature of their faces.

Celementine is poorly designed if the devs had an attended a particular race for her.Not that it matters in the context of the story.
she could be East African

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
15 pages on the power of "she doesn't look like I think a black should look, but it doesn't matter because what is race but stardust memories of a butterfly anyway?"

I love Gaf

Seriously.

So many arrogant people deciding that race shouldn't matter to anyone. History and culture be damned.

In a perfect world we accept differences. Not pretend they don't exist.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
Seriously.

So many arrogant people deciding that race shouldn't matter to anyone. History and culture be damned.

In a perfect world we accept differences. Not pretend they don't exist.

The problem isn't that we should all be colorblind. The problem is that people care what race she is. Or people are surprised to find out she's a certain race that she wasn't. It's about white privilege.

Rarely are white people or white characters asked what race they are. It's only when you are a person of color that people interview and grill you based on your race. That's wrong.

Why does this matter?

Sidenote: Also, almost all the eyelids in the Walking Dead are football shaped. I assumed this was a way to give them those expressive Disney eyes. It's one thing I noticed in the style of this game is all the character's eyeballs kind of look the same.

Zoe

How could you conclude she is asian when you know for sure that her father is black ?

So if you only knew the race of her father, she could only possibly be black? Even if it turned out her mother was Asian?

As a person of mixed-race, I always assume by default that people with ambiguous features and just a touch of color are also mixed. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, no biggie. But I'm getting the feeling in this thread that people should never consider themselves mixed. It's all about the one drop.

Camwi

I didn't know her father was black. I mean I know now with the picture in this thread, but I don't remember that picture in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom