• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Clementine from The Walking Dead black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Black-Eyed Peas Racial Breakdown:

Will.I.Am: 100% Sub Saharan Black
Other Dark Skinned Male: 100% Sub Saharan Black
Light Skinned Male: 50% European and 50% Sub Saharan Black
Fergie: 75% European and 25% Sub Saharan Black

One of them is half Filipino, can't take him away from Pinoy GAF.

Artorias

Banned
I wish I could freely say how I feel about the Clementine thing without being stamped as ignorant. I sincerely had no clue she was Black and wouldn't have given it any thought prior to this thread. I'm usually keenly aware of these things. It's hard to explain but I just didn't get that vibe. The markers just were not there. Not suggesting that certain behaviors or vernaculars are ...exclusive to any race, but, come on. It's almost as if the designers intended for her to be this culturally ambiguous, blank slate of a character. Really wish I could better articulate this. Her voice...the way she interacted with Lee and the world. This all compounded by her appearance. She can definitely go a few ways, yet some people in here would have us believe she's unmistakably Black. I don't know who exactly the "I hope ya'll learned something" posts are targeted at, but, again, I think it's unfair to suggest people should have known.

Completely agree. African American wouldn't have been my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd guess. I most definitely thought she was Asian American, and not because of the eyes.

chupon

racist1.gif

chupon

technically hispanic isn't a race anyway

This is true. My wife is Mexican and even though she identifies with being Hispanic it's not like she actually has any ties to Spain. It's more cultural than anything.

If you're from North America and identify as Hispanic you're generally either considered Caucasian or Native American, statistically speaking. US Census backs this up too.

breakfuss

Don't get so hung up on being called ignorant and just learn from it and move on. Looking at your past posts, you don't seem to fully understand what the word means. It means to be unaware, inexperienced, uninformed, etc. which would describe you and many other posters in this thread. What would be worse is if you where to be willfully ignorant even after being presented with some of the evidence in this thread (ex. post #2).

What, lol? Even by that definition I don't see how I'm "ignorant". If you're going to make that charge at least offer some enlightenment. I honestly do not know a lot of Black people who look like her. I have no problem with saying that. Thinking hard on it, I do have some Jamaican friends who favor that look, but they're certainly few and far between. I'm just as aware as anyone in this thread that the spectrum of Blackness runs wide. And it's awesome that it's being represented this way with Clem. But I won't kid myself and ignore that it was likely deliberate on their part to make her as close "to the edge" as possible. I really don't care, and I still love her character. It's just pretty interesting after seeing her parents.

What, lol? Even by that definition I don't see how I'm "ignorant". If you're going to make that charge at least offer some enlightenment. I honestly do not know a lot of Black people who look like her. I have no problem with saying that. Thinking hard on it, I do have some Jamaican friends who favor that look, but they're certainly few and far between. I'm just as aware as anyone in this thread that the spectrum of Blackness runs wide. And it's awesome that it's being represented this way with Clem. But I won't kid myself and ignore that it was likely deliberate on their part to make her as close "to the edge" as possible. I really don't care, and I still love her character. It's just pretty interesting after seeing her parents.

If you came to thanksgiving at my house your brain might melt.

DryvBy

There's a picture of her parents in the walking dead season 1 somewhere that makes it clear that she is- or at least biracial.

skgDg.png

I saw this the first time but during episode two, I forgot and assumed she was Asian. Makes sense why people asked if she was Lee's daughter now.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
For further adventures in racial perception, search for "Walking Dead Clementine" on deviantart and observe the artists different choices in skin tone, facial features, and hair.
HW74MCa.png

It's weird how most races portrayed in series with ridiculous color palettes for every character can be whatever color, but black characters are usually brown/black, so you know for sure they're a black character. Or at least that's how it seems to be.

Speaking of ponies and fanart, why do people have such a problem with human Twilight Sparkle looking Indian? That was the first version I saw of her, and it looked perfect to me.

If you came to thanksgiving at my house your brain might melt.

No, I think we already established that people like that don't exist in reality. Stop weaving tales of fantasy and wonder about these so-called "pale blacks".

chupon

It's weird how most races portrayed in series with ridiculous color palettes for every character can be whatever color, but black characters are usually brown/black, so you know for sure they're a black character. Or at least that's how it seems to be.

Speaking of ponies and fanart, why do people have such a problem with human Twilight Sparkle looking Indian? That was the first version I saw of her, and it looked perfect to me.

It's almost like when companies get lazy with female characters and resort to pink or put-a-bow-on-it characters.

Sloane

Banned
Didn't really think about it when I was playing the game but I'm pretty sure I assumed she was white in the beginning, until Idle Thumbs mentioned that she's black and that it is a big thing to have a black lead character or something. Never knew that.

dr guildo

I have no idea but the name is amazing.

Black Athena is a book written by Martin Bernal, about ancient Greece, which claims that this civilisation has its roots in Africa, and more precisely in Egypt (Kemet, litterally land of black people)

dog-bernal-obit-articleInline.jpg

Martin Bernal

black_athena.jpg

The book (in french 'cause I'm french, but the author is not french)

thyia_dionysus.jpg

Angelo

This discussion reminds me when my friend mistook Omid for a Mexican.

But given his name, and his Wiki entry, he's clearly of a
Persian
descent.

He's also my favorite character in the series.

Never knew why it was such a debate about the race of Clem. She is a bright skinned black person. I live in Louisiana and we have some black people that consider themselves 100% black but are from a cajun "creole" background. They look more mixed/white, but they are 100% black. Black is a rainbow or many many shades, and shes just one shade.

Capella

I may have missed further replies but you're previous comments about not knowing any other black people who look like Clementine gives off the impression that you are ignorant of the fact that there are many black people out there who do look like her and made an assumption based on that alone.

My reply wasn't meant to be an insult really but some of the replies, including yours, did come off as being racially ignorant. Meaning they either didn't know anything about how diverse black people are, where inexperienced with black people in general, or where just being willfully ignorant.

This thread is packed with astonishing posts and I'm sorry I didn't open it until now.

Maybe when you guys have settled this question, you can move on to whether or not Jade from Beyond Good & Evil is black...

jade.jpg

Madness

Oh boy this thread...

Nice way to kick off Black History Month.

What does that have to do with anything? Not everyone is from America either you know. I agree some of the posts do border on ridiculous. I mean how could anyone think she was Asian when you see her parents as well? Plus it's Georgia. Then again people see what they want to see. To some, she looks white, to some she is Hispanic, to some she is Asian.

dr guildo

Her mother is just as black as Louis Farrakhan, Prime Minister of Nation Of Islam :
Louis-Farrakhan-9291850-1-402.jpg

Where is the problem ?!
I don't get it...
icon_scratch.png

Ricker

Never knew why it was such a debate about the race of Clem. She is a bright skinned black person. I live in Louisiana and we have some black people that consider themselves 100% black but are from a cajun "creole" background. They look more mixed/white, but they are 100% black. Black is a rainbow or many many shades, and shes just one shade.

Yep,we say Mulatre in french(with a accent circonflex on top of the a)...although Mulatre is a kid from a white and black mix,if they don't turn out one or the other,they are mulatre,a mix of both.I thought she was that,I never thought of Asian...but seeing that picture,it's clear now.

RangerX

Banned
I always thought she was asian and did'nt even know there was a discussion until it came up on neogaf. The evidence does lead me to conclude that shes black.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
They obviously gave her ambiguous racial features so many people from all walks of life could connect with her. She's even a little gender ambiguous too when you look at her actions. She's a child.

Obviously, if you look at the photo of her parents you can assume she is black if her parents were her birth parents.

But why is this even a thread? Why does it matter what her race is? It's a beautiful game, and a beautiful character. I'm not even sure why her race would come up in a debate or into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom