• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is GAF too strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can you give me a single link where cis was used as an insult?
There have been cases, and one in particular that I remember, but it was an out of character emotional overreaction. Plus I like that poster, so I'm not gonna link.

Though I wonder. Does Clark actually find "stop being such a cis" offensive,
Probably not.

or is he just mad that he can't openly insult transsexual people?
C'mon son...

Let's not speculate that your fellow posters have the worst of intentions.

cntr

Banned
C'mon son...

Let's not speculate that your fellow posters have the worst of intentions.

From a few pages back:

[Clark Gable];42782490 said:
When you see an apple, and you know it's an apple, Neogaf will always disagree and say just because it's an apple, it could possibly morph into an orange, therefore it should be identified as an orange, and you should address it as a orange. Yeah nah. 5 seconds later banned.

So, yeah.

Garjon

Whats a 50ppper?

People who belong to the club of GAF Kings:

1. Less slowdown because of re-quoted GIFS
2. You don't have to constantly read over the same posts over and over to get to the recent posts (New Posts button often doesn't work)
3. It works far better when using Google Search.

So in another thread, a poster put a link to a picture of Obama being accused of being a "pussy." Is this an acceptable or unacceptable use?

freshair

So in another thread, a poster put a link to a picture of Obama being accused of being a "pussy." Is this an acceptable or unacceptable use?

I'd argue that it's unacceptable because of the gendered usage of the word. By implying that he's less of a man ("a pussy"), it thus infers that women are as well and does nothing but enforce gender roles.

Dead Man

Can someone clarify to me why everybody's so stressed out about douche all of a sudden? See, now that strikes me as the very definition of manufactured outrage. Who, exactly, is arguing genuinely that it is sexist?

Douche is not something I am freaking out about, but if you are arguing that insults that reference women are sexist, douche most assuredly is included.

Ferrio

Banned
What would you say the rule appears to be at the moment?

And faggot is English for pork meatball. Douche as an insult is referencing female genitalia as a negative property.

Wait douche references female genitalia as a negative property? Maybe my definition of douche is really offbase, but isn't it just referring to a feminine cleaning product?

Dead Man

Is the word used to marginalize or insult women for being women? Yes or no.

Is that the only criteria now? Better get rid of 'dog' 'whale' 'slut' 'woman' 'girl' 'prude' etc. I was sort of under the impression that words and phrases that uses the female gender and its attributes as insults were sort of gendered too. As per Rentahamster's very good post on the subject.

Tess3ract

Banned
I think what people don't really get that about this kind of speech if you look at another way is that:

Women think they're being used as an example of something undesirable.

Men are using it as an example of (men to men) "if you aren't a man, you're shit. It doesn't matter what you are, as long as you aren't a man everything you are is invalidated"

Think of it another way: You're each part of two cliques. If someone says that makes you feel like either another clique or not part of that clique, it's not because that clique is worse than yours because ____. It's because ANYTHING that isn't your clique isn't good enough. You're either in that clique or you aren't.

Think of it another way: You're a hardcore gamer or you're a casual gamer. Hardcore gamers will call other people casuals (because yes casual is seen as worse primarily) but hardcores just want to play with other hardcores, and casuals don't see things the same way.

A.E Suggs

The only thing that happens when you try and stop/ban offensive words people will always create new one's with more or less the same meaning. Don't worry though 10 years from now every word will be offensive, in which case just opening your mouth will be an offence to people, I can see it from the stars I can.

Satch

Banned
The only thing that happens when you try and stop/ban offensive words people will always create new one's with more or less the same meaning. Don't worry though 10 years from now every word will be offensive, in which case just opening your mouth will be an offence to people, I can see it from the stars I can.

Go to bed, Jimmy.

Tess3ract

Banned
Another thing.

French isn't a race. Chinese isn't a race.

There is one race, the human race. What you're talking about is a regional/cultural demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom