• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Halo dying?

I never gave a shit about Halo MP, i was always only interested in the SP (aside from a little Firefight). And while i had a lot of fun with Halo 4 SP, they cant put the same enemies in front of me another time because i don't think they are interesting enough to fight. Somehow they don't have the same variety as the covenant had. I'm not sure what they have to do to return the framchise to greatness.

It's really strange to see this threads when I felt like Halo 4 received the most praise out of the whole series from press & players at launch. Hype machines are a scary thing.

I don't think Halo is dyinmg, but I reckon they will play it very safe from here on out. and I don't think it will be getting much bigger in the immediate future.

Halo 4 has the best base game, feel, all that but there is so much unnecessary crap on top of it.

Zemm

It might be but it won't be Destiny that becomes the next big thing. No large focus on competitive multiplayer will see to that.

I'm pretty sure people ask this every year, and every year a Halo comes out people buy it and play it. How long, well that's a different issue but the point is the brand still sells. Same goes for Call of Duty, people always talk about how that game is stale and stagnant and then they go and buy it anyway and it sells tons. Nah, Halo isn't dying it's just in hibernation, and it's probably a good thing that Halo isn't an Annual release.

Nowhere near what it once was.

I will say this though, I want to see where Halo 5 goes, if not just to see how Halo looks on Next-Gen hardware at 60FPS

Its far from dying but i think the Halo formula is getting abit stale in singleplayer. They had an amazing opportunity to bring back the mystery from the first game.
They should take some risks and create something like Metroid prime, bring in some new weapon mechanics and puzzles and get rid of those "press 10 switches and fight waves of enemies to get to the next area".

Dennis

Banned
Halo: Reach - best game in the series

Halo 4 - the worst game in the series

n = 2 for the two latest entries in the series --> sample size too small

/science out

We will have to wait for the next one to form an opinion that can be take seriously.

Cimeas

Banned
The last entry of this console-exclusive franchise sold 9 million units.

That's the equivalent of a multiplat selling 20m copies (assuming another 9m on PS3 and 2m on PC) and asking if the franchise is 'dead'.

What a ridiculous statement.

/science out

We will have to wait for the next one to form an opinion that can be take seriously.

The one that started loadouts. The one with half-ass bloom. The one with sluggish movement. The one with armor lock.

Bro I can't.

bidguy

Banned

/science out

3 was the best

odst was the worst

4 was the worst mainline halo

/science out

You wut m8....?????

Into

Its obviously losing steam, similar to World of Warcraft. Despite being different genres for totally different demographics, both games were at their peak a few years ago, but bleeding fans/subscribers on a monthly basis.

There is a sense of closure for Halo as a whole, Bungie finished the trilogy, made a prequel in Reach which is always a sign that something has been milked dry. Then Bungie left, which in and out of itself is the "ending" of any franchise. 343 had a chance to put their own spin on it, their own take, a start of a new trilogy, but ultimately just made Halo inspired by CoD.

Instead of being a leader, Halo is today a follower, its no longer even the second biggest FPS on the market, that belongs to CoD and Battlefield. And who knows how big Titanfall and Destiny will be.

It sucks because i love Halo more than CoD or BF, and Titanfall/Destiny will have to be pretty amazing to top Halo in its prime.

Halo has been dying since ODST.

This is coming from someone who was a rabid fan of the franchise up until a few years ago. Bungie leaving the franchise was the last nail in the coffin for me.

Not to mention that Call of Duty took the FPS crown after MW's success. It took Microsoft too long to release a proper sequel after Halo 3, and the sheep flocked to the other franchise with proper shootbang.

Whilst I don't think it's as important to Microsoft as it used to be, it's still a standout title in their library and an important one that will continue to provide a draw to their consoles, especially when trying to establish a userbase.

It's still a huge draw for me and alongside SO, QB, DR3, KI, is one of the main reasons why I chose an X1 over the PS4.

We seem to have the same discussion after every Halo game. No, I don't think it's dying, and I don't think that Destiny is somehow going to wrestle away the Halo fanbase. If anything, I haven't been convinced by Destiny yet, it looks too similar to Halo with a sprinkling of Borderlands, and I'll remain skeptical until I'm sure that I can play the game solo and have the full great experience on my own.

The one that started loadouts. The one with half-ass bloom. The one with sluggish movement. The one with armor lock.

Bro I can't.

Don't forget forge maps, forge maps everywhere in basic playlists!

I can't wait to play on gunmetal gray fortress on unlit grass gulch again! Let's all start DMR and shoot out of spawn at each other!

Nebula

Shaking my head at people posting sale numbers and dipping out the thread. I don't think sale numbers matter when no one is playing the game a year after release when it has a 3 year dev cycle. It shows that people don't want to play what you've put out and definitely makes players reluctant to buy the next installment.

I do however believe that Halo 5 will sell well, at least compared to how many people own Xbox Ones. This is mainly because it's a familiar title releasing on a console with a small pool of games available for players to buy. People would be more likely to dip in for Halo simply because they want a new game to play.

jelly

I don't think Halo 4 has surpassed the individual sales of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 or Reach.

Halo 4 sold more in the launch year as it should with the bigger install base.

I don't think Halo 5 will decide the fate of the series but 343 need to knock it out the park from top to bottom. The amount of simple stuff that vanished in Halo 4 was staggering, on a level of have you actually played Halo before. They had all that time and they came up with that story.

Feindflug

I never gave a shit about Halo MP, i was always only interested in the SP (aside from a little Firefight). And while i had a lot of fun with Halo 4 SP, they cant put the same enemies in front of me another time because i don't think they are interesting enough to fight. Somehow they don't have the same variety as the covenant had. I'm not sure what they have to do to return the framchise to greatness.

I totally agree, 343i are in a really difficult position right now because as Nirolak said they have to take the right risks which is the hard part...Halo 5 is one of those cases that if you asked me what changes could make it better I couldn't answer specifically.

Will it be wise to keep Halo 3's for example structure on the SP and try to improve on that? or should they try new things on the SP like more exploration and less linear level design evolving the structure of ODST? in the multiplayer side of things should they get rid of sprint and armor abilities all together and go Halo 3 style or should they try to implement the former better? I wouldn't want to be in 343i shoes right now that's for sure.

Either way I love the franchise and I honestly hope that 343i will create an amazing game this time around.

Even if it s delirious, I m still hoping it never sees the sun again.

Wow.

Caayn

halo 4 was rushed

take sprint out

print money
If only sprint was the only problem I had with Halo 4. There are many things wrong with Halo 4 imo.

- (Customizable) load-outs
- AAs
- Perks
- Flynch
- OD
- Lack of features compared to previous installments in the franchise
- Campaign almost existing solely out of "press this button"
- Dudebro Spartan Ops
- No offline Spartan Ops
- Terminals don't exist in the game
- Cutting arms just because the writer thought it looked "cool"
- Sarah Palmer

I'm pretty sure that I'm missing a few points.

MedIC86

There's a good discussion to be had about how well the franchise will do [pretty well] and what they might do to recapture that zeitgeist, but that's an abysmal OP.

Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Gran_Turismo

When im looking at it, sales are kinda unbelievable for GT for such a specific game, i mean seeing mario or cod pulling such numbers is normal i guess? but racing games, but GT is very big here in Europe tho.

The campaign was always nice/okay-ish but i think the main popularity came from the MP, but since COD now has huge parts of that audience it will be hard for MS to reclaim that.

This or last gen? because GT5 sold 10.66mln copies compared to halo 3 8.1mln

Your numbers are a bit out.

MS announced 8.1 million copies of Halo 3 had been sold less than 4 months after it had been released.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ms-177-million-360s-sold/1100-6184291/

Polyphony Digital state 10.66 million copies of GT5 have been sold in 28 months.
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Shahed

Halo dead? Don't you think that's a bit premature? At least wait till we see the reception to Halo 5. Despite not being as good as previous Halo games, I still found it more enjoyable than pretty much every other FPS out there. Well at least on consoles anyway.

ethomaz

Banned
While it is not dead Halo 4 contributed to the decline of the franchise.

I think i343 have a lot of homework to discuss before Halo 5... they needs to face what they did wrong (and personally they fucked the MP).

Destiny looks way better right now but who knows... everything can chance.

As someone who bought and played every single title religiously and used to post in HaloGAF more often than the rest of GAF combined, it's dead to me.

If only sprint was the only problem I had with Halo 4. There are many things wrong with Halo 4 imo.

- (Customizable) load-outs
- AAs
- Perks
- Flynch
- OD
- Lack of features compared to previous installments in the franchise
- Campaign almost existing solely out of "press this button"
- Dudebro Spartan Ops
- No offline Spartan Ops
- Terminals don't exist in the game
- Cutting arms just because the writer thought it looked "cool"
- Sarah Palmer

I'm pretty sure that I'm missing a few points.

Honestly, I think Sprint is the only thing that should stay, if not, just make regular movement faster to recreate that QIII arena type fast pace

Honestly, I think Sprint is the only thing that should stay, if not, just make regular movement faster to recreate that QIII arena type fast pace
Sprint is welcomed to stay but all the other things? Not so much.

And Halo dead? Nah, I just think it's being milked a little bit too much. Halo 4 is a good game but a bad Halo, in fact a horrible Halo in my opinion (talking about SP).

Sprint can go, just bump up the movement speed.
With a faster base speed i see no use for sprint.

It makes it harder to balance/design arena maps too.
With an constant speed its on less dynamic variable you don't have to balance around.

RulkezX

Not to me, in fact it's almost the sole reason I bought an Xbox One.

I think it's lost a lot of it;s appeal as the go to competitive shooter ( and may continue to do so if Activision start to care about CoD and if Titanfall turns out well) but I mostly play for the coop and SP.

ari

Banned
Halo 4 grossed US$220 million on its launch day and $300 million in its opening week. Yep, dead as a doornail.

For perspective, Halo 3 was $170 million on launch day.
yea, the series ain't dead. Sorry but this franchise won't be going any where any time soon. Its no where near the CoD, rockband/guitar hero or gods of war fatigue. I still play halo 2 and 4 single player and multiplayer steadily when my nephew's come over. It's fun times. Also, The series is kinda a staple in some circles. I know people who play nothing but halo.

Shaking my head at people posting sale numbers and dipping out the thread. I don't think sale numbers matter when no one is playing the game a year after release when it has a 3 year dev cycle. It shows that people don't want to play what you've put out and definitely makes players reluctant to buy the next installment.

I do however believe that Halo 5 will sell well, at least compared to how many people own Xbox Ones. This is mainly because it's a familiar title releasing on a console with a small pool of games available for players to buy. People would be more likely to dip in for Halo simply because they want a new game to play.

Yeah I don't agree with the sales logic either when there was a huge topic about how Halo 4's MP basically fell off a cliff.

I loved Halo but personally started to leave it behind after COD 2 on the 360. Halo 4 was fine, looked nice, played OK.

I don't think Halo is dying but I do think that Halo people keep Halo going, Halo 4 was an attempt to bring in newer players and it backfired, it really didn't please anyone.

I'll likely get Halo 5 somewhere down the road when I get a X1, more excited about Titanfall to be honest.

Now that Halo 4 has come and gone, it's probably safe to begin looking at the effect it has had on reviving what was pretty much Microsoft's best franchise. All eyes were on 343i as they took over the reigns from Bungie, and while I personally consider Halo 4 a success, considering the size of shoes it has to fill, I can't say the same about the state of the Halo franchise.

Pretty much every Halo fan who isn't a total newcomer to the series is eyeing Destiny right now, and there is consensus in the gaming press that Destiny will take over as the genre-defining FPS that Halo once was.

This has spawned countless discussions on the Halo forum, and every time people get defensive and take it personal. I understand why, because to many Halo is associated with buying an Xbox and getting into gaming generally (yes, kids who got Halo when it came out are in their 20s now). I do think 343i is awesome. I think they did a really great job with Halo 4. But sadly, I also believe that the most boring parts of Destiny will still be more fun than the best parts of Halo 5. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for a sequel to Halo 4, given that Destiny is on the horizon now.
If they will go back to the roots, I think Halo 5 will even top the Hype of Halo 4 after E³. If they're not, Halos community will shrink even more

I think you cant compare Destiny and Halo, they are really different approchaes of fps. destiny is more mmo with dungeons and arenas, where you level up for hundreds of hours before reaching endgame, in which you collect items. halo is much more compact and focussed on a 6-7h storypart, an additional coop mode and multiplayer.

Top Bottom