• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to assume that Nintendo's next console will be more powerful than Xbox one X?

Derktron

Banned
Nintendo is still going to the Tegra processors and we still haven’t seen any indication of Nvidia Tegra GPU and CPU that’s capable of such capabilities. Unless they use the SCD then we’ll see a jump of power but I don’t see them using that but as a late result.

Hinedorf

Banned
I wouldn't even assume we get another console. Their current console is at best a handheld tablet that connects to the TV either through a cable or a cheap shitty piece of plastic.

Counter that with Microsoft/Sony sucking the live out of the exclusives market, the only thing Nintendo can be is what it's only been good at for the last 10 years, HANDHELDS.

Nintendo isn't on par with the big boys in video games anymore, the are at best niche with a cult following of fans built through childhood nostalgia passed down to their own children. Nintendo hasn't tried to compete for the past decade because they have a fan base that continues to buy overpriced hardware at a premium price for the same relative titles they've been playing for decades.

All of these fucking Nintendo drones are idiots (making a joke because I have almost every Switch title stacked in my room, love Nintendo but being real about them lol)

No.
Why would you assume that. Can you explain your thought process?
Well after looking at this article : https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/15/ I don't expect it anymore. I was hoping it would because then it would be able to get some of pS5 and Xbox series X third party games on the go. The Switch is only slightly weaker than the Xbox one. So I didn't think it would be too far fetched to think they would go so high. However based on their trends it seems to be too much of a jump.

Birdo

Banned
No chance.

Lets not forget that Nintendo will NOT be going back to standard console designs after the success of the Switch. It will be another hybrid, and there is no way they will have a hendheld at the power level of the One X within the next few gens.

That, and Carts will still be holding them back.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Nintendo has no interest in chasing tech, they don't need to and their customers don't care if they do either.
If they want that success to keep going and don’t want any major developers or even some indie developers to go away you bet they need to be interested and remember the CEO is a young man not run by old man. Meaning while he was President he has changed a lot of what Nintendo didn’t want to do. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they did something and only if Nvidia does a capable Tegra processors.

GustavoLT

it´s time for the Hyper Nintendo!
just do it!

Hyper Mario World - 8K 60fps with ray tracing!!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

No, if it's another handheld and I expect it will be with the Switch's success, definitely no.

The Switch, docked, is about 30% of where the base XBO was GPU wise, the CPU isn't so bad per core, but 3 accessible vs 7.

So that's not meeting the baseline for this generation, and the X is a high performance mid gen refresh. The X only launched two years ago and draws over 200 watts, the Switch 2 or whatever has to stay under 12ish.

I'd expect a Switch Pro on 7nm to be able to do what the docked Switch can while portable, with a new higher power docked mode correspondingly. Not beating the PS4 yet and definitely not the X.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo games still only average PS3/360 graphics at best. With more hardware power comes budget and Nintendo doesn't want to spend the millions to make games look like movies.

Last edited:
Why Nintendo never able to leave this trend , being behind in tech with their new consoles..Every ..single..time..?Different vision, giving zero @#$%& on beasty consoles?

Fbh

It's Nintendo. It's going to be $300-350 and at at most as strong as the base Ps4.

Nintendo games still only average PS3/360 graphics at best. With more hardware power comes budget and Nintendo doesn't want to spend the millions to make games look like movies.

To be fair Nintendo being Nintendo they could use the extra power for something else rather than graphics.
A console that could run games like Breath of The Wild and Luigis Mansion 3 in, say, 1440p (or at least 1080p) and 60fps would be nice

Why Nintendo never able to leave this trend , being behind in tech with their new consoles..Every ..single..time..?Different vision, giving zero @#$%& on beasty consoles?

You have Sony, MS and PC going after the high end market and Nintendo probably knows they have higher chances of success going for something different and unique instead of being a fourth option offering pretty much the same thing except for a handful of different exclusives. Outside of the WiiU it has been working great for them (Wii, DS, 3DS, Switch) so why would they change?

They also know their audience and they know the vast majority of them don't care too much about power. You have Pokemon destroying most Sony and MS exclusives in sales and that shit costs $60 and is little more than an HD 3DS game.

cireza

Certainly not if it is a handheld again. If it is a home console, we might reach a point where Nintendo games will finally be 1080p. At least of few of them. We will see in 4-5 years...

The Wii U was the last time they caught up with other consoles, and it was only for a couple years. Switch basically left them even more behind technically speaking, you will never see another Nintendo console that actually runs third party games at the same level and at the same moment as PS/Xbox.

Last edited:
source.gif

I love ya Nintendo.

It's 2019 we will give you glorious 1080p (when docked)

They would've been fine with 720p if they could have...or 360p

Last edited:

disap.ed

Maybe if they release a 4K dock for the Switch +/pro/2, otherwise I am expecting more like XBOS undocked / PS4 docked level for the successor.
Something around 1660S could be feasible performance wise I think and should be on a level with XBOX.

cryptoadam

Banned
Sure why not, since it will come out in 2023. But by then Xbox one X will look ancient LOL.

I figure Switch Pro in 2021, ride that till holidays 2022 and probably March 2023 the next Nintendo system. But who knows what it will be. No one saw the Wii/WiiU or Switch coming. Nintendo could make a Switch 2, or go back to console gaming. Fuck maybe they go balls deep in VR or AR or streaming.

The only thing I can say forsure is that it won't be cutting edge tech and will take into account power consumption/efficiency over graphical power which has always been the Nintendo way.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Peronsally, after seeing what can be accomplished on PC via CEMU emulation, I wish Nintendo would just embrace PC instead.

I have given up any and all hope of them releasing a powerful console.

I'd be more than willing to play Nintendo on PC. Just charge $60 games for games and hire the CEMU team to create an officiall emulator.

Quasicat

I don’t think they need it. The new Shield has a pretty decent 4K upscaler to it. Really that’s all they need. They’ve proven for years that they are not in the power struggle with the others.
Plus, with the art style Nintendo chooses to use, the Switch games look really good on modern TVs. The Switch menu looks rough for some reason, but games like Mario Kart look really nice.

daveonezero

Banned
Nintendo makes crappy hardware, it has become their thing.

The question is, can they create games that make up for it?
That is so not true. And clearly their success says their games are enough to overcome power wars.

switch is such a well made piece. As was theGBA, DS and 3ds.
Peronsally, after seeing what can be accomplished on PC via CEMU emulation, I wish Nintendo would just embrace PC instead.

I have given up any and all hope of them releasing a powerful console.

I'd be more than willing to play Nintendo on PC. Just charge $60 games for games and hire the CEMU team to create an officiall emulator.
I don’t understand. Why do they have to put in the resources when people do it anyways.

Jubenhimer

Mobile technology is always at least a gen behind the current one. Whatever mobile processor Nintendo gets for the Switch successor should be able to outperform the Current gen systems no problem, but still being behind the PS5. The tricky part, is how Nintendo will respond to Streaming if it ever takes off. Since streaming allows you to bypass the limitations of mobile technology all together. Maybe Nintendo will take the hybrid approach like Microsoft. Where you can either download supported games to your system, or stream them.

Fake

Nintendo don't need to make a console more powerfull than Xbox or Playstation, just a poweful Nintendo console to play exclusives better.
That's why I waiitng for a Nintendo Switch PRO. Will be docked all day for me.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No chance unless the next Nintendo device is 5+ years out. Even then I doubt it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom