• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to assume that Nintendo's next console will be more powerful than Xbox one X?

No, at best it will be near equal. Even that's unlikely.

This gen Xbox One X was “most powerful console” but that mean so little to me when it literally had zero games I was interested in.

Oh you mean that extension that's not a new consoles that came out around 4 years after launch and you're post doesn't make anysense because the comparison is nonsense?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, at best it will be near equal. Even that's unlikely.

Oh you mean that extension that's not a new consoles that came out around 4 years after launch and you're post doesn't make anysense because the comparison is nonsense?
My point is having more power doesn’t make console better, PS2 was they weakest system compare to both GameCube and Xbox but it still was considered best console because of it games. Same thing DS against PSP and again 3DS against PSVita.

To power doesn’t meant shit to me, Xbox series X can end up being most powerful console in next gen that basically useless if doesn’t have the game I care about.

Dory16

Banned
I wouldn't even assume we get another console. Their current console is at best a handheld tablet that connects to the TV either through a cable or a cheap shitty piece of plastic.

Counter that with Microsoft/Sony sucking the live out of the exclusives market, the only thing Nintendo can be is what it's only been good at for the last 10 years, HANDHELDS.

Nintendo isn't on par with the big boys in video games anymore, the are at best niche with a cult following of fans built through childhood nostalgia passed down to their own children. Nintendo hasn't tried to compete for the past decade because they have a fan base that continues to buy overpriced hardware at a premium price for the same relative titles they've been playing for decades.

All of these fucking Nintendo drones are idiots (making a joke because I have almost every Switch title stacked in my room, love Nintendo but being real about them lol)
You forgot overpriced games with the majority of them being remasters from previous generations.

My point is having more power doesn’t make console better, PS2 was they weakest system compare to both GameCube and Xbox but it still was considered best console because of it games. Same thing DS against PSP and again 3DS against PSVita.

To power doesn’t meant shit to me, Xbox series X can end up being most powerful console in next gen that basically useless if doesn’t have the game I care about.

PS2 also had a year headstart and had more retailer access due to the PSX which MS had to pay for directly.

And the PSP was ahead initially but fell behind due to price and piracy.

And the Vita had multiple problems.

This is a fake argument, Power does matter, Power is what Sony used to try and say the PS2 was among the best and it fooled many people despite the GameCube being stronger until later on, only the Xbox was obviously more powerful (to the average consumer) from the start.

Power does matter, there's a difference between power being an advantage and being THE most powerful being the ONLY reason to buy something and that's where you people keep getting mixed up on.

The PS3 was "more powerful" but it was hard to get that power unless the game was scripted and linear. The 360 was powerful enough to control the narrative for years despite technically being weaker. If the 360 had the graphics of the Wii that would have destroyed it and it would have been DOA. The Wii Itself basically has to leave the industry and it wasn't considered an actual contender, even Nintendo stated that.

But that market is gone, that's why the Wii U failed, so yes Nintendo will be getting further and further behind on their current trajectory and that will turn people off.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Unless Nintendo makes a huge change in how they approach hardware and software development no. It would be nice to see a powerful Nintendo console though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
PS2 also had a year headstart and had more retailer access due to the PSX which MS had to pay for directly.

And the PSP was ahead initially but fell behind due to price and piracy.

And the Vita had multiple problems.

This is a fake argument, Power does matter, Power is what Sony used to try and say the PS2 was among the best and it fooled many people despite the GameCube being stronger until later on, only the Xbox was obviously more powerful (to the average consumer) from the start.

Power does matter, there's a difference between power being an advantage and being THE most powerful being the ONLY reason to buy something and that's where you people keep getting mixed up on.

The PS3 was "more powerful" but it was hard to get that power unless the game was scripted and linear. The 360 was powerful enough to control the narrative for years despite technically being weaker. If the 360 had the graphics of the Wii that would have destroyed it and it would have been DOA. The Wii Itself basically has to leave the industry and it wasn't considered an actual contender, even Nintendo stated that.

But that market is gone, that's why the Wii U failed, so yes Nintendo will be getting further and further behind on their current trajectory and that will turn people off.
For me it never did, I decide what system to get based solely on what games they have and will have in the future. Games is what selling both PS4 and Switch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That is so not true. And clearly their success says their games are enough to overcome power wars.

switch is such a well made piece. As was theGBA, DS and 3ds.

I don’t understand. Why do they have to put in the resources when people do it anyways.
Because a lot of people don't know how to do it and it's not exactly an easy process. Hell, Im trying to figure it out.

Nintendo really seems to have found their golden goose in portable gaming. Unless and until they can manage to make a docked tablet with the power of the One X in it, I don't think Nintendo's going to give up the very specific desire it currently fulfills.

I'd say in a year or so though you may see them start to look into a Switch "Pro" or a straight 2.0 release that runs at least as strong as a PS4 or even a Pro, but how quickly they can do that will depend on how far mobile tech has evolved since them.

Jad-Just_A_Dale

Neo Member
I don't believe it'll be very powerful, but that it will be better balanced and possibly offer some cut down tensor cores, an increased core count and a more efficient gpu that they'll have clock up to the power envelope of the current offering. That will allow for much better looking games, but things like A.I. and Physics will suffer. There are some strengths of the x86 platform that any ARM core from Nintendo will never be able to match. I feel like they should have waited on AMD or launched an AMD based Switch (A10 Micro-6700T) about a year sooner than their Nvidia offering. AMD's Discovery Tablet seems like it was a public, but silent signaling of what Nintendo had planned after they revealed to AMD that they weren't going to use their tech anymore. We could've been looking at a Switch Pro that would be powered by Ryzen & Navi, basically a cut down version of the next gen systems that would be performant enough to satisfy us and similar enough to make ports even easier to manage.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The only numbers Nintendo is interested in are 1st party software sales and review scores. Hardware is just a means to an end. Give it a hook if you can, but don't break the bank doing it(waggle, 3d, pseudo-tablet, handheld/console convertible, etc.)

It's why I chuckle whenever somebody thinks this is the generation where Nintendo will give a shit about 3rd party support. They have their own game in every genre they care about and they want you to buy it, not some 3rd party offering. Pay lip service to 3rd party in interviews and then quietly do nothing to encourage it for the rest of the generation is probably a bullet point on a for-internal-use-only powerpoint presentation.

And hey, it seems to work great for them when it comes to consistent profitability.

Last edited:

FStubbs

The 2018 iPad Pro - the most powerful mobile device in history at that point - was allegedly on par with the Xbox One.

Given that Apple is a couple of years ahead of anybody else in mobile power at this point, I'd say that Switch 2 will probably be just a bit beyond the original PS4, but nowhere near PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. However, it won't be hamstrung as badly as the Wii was because it'll have the latest and greatest nVidia architecture, and all the modern engines will run on it pretty easily.

If Nintendo keeps the Switch separate from a stand alone console, then probably so. Switch takes over the handheld market from the 3DS , and then Nintendo makes a straight up console. But who knows...Probably happy as clams to keep dominating the hand held market 😄

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have no idea.

I think it's gonna be a long time from now first of all. And, to them, delivering a secondary innovation is more important. If not literal innovation, then VALUE...it could be, but if that's all you care about, and you don't save room for being surprised. Then you should probably not think about that at all.

I think it's more important to focus on the here and now. When they announce something, that's when we start talking about it. It's pointless to do it now, that will only get you moving in circles. Trying to catch your own tail..

Power, power, power... tired, tired, tired...

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
They might reach 1080P/60 with their next console. Hard to say.

Wii U did that 5 years ago.

As for the question at hand. I expect the Next Switch to be based around a dock the is also an eGpu and with that in mind you could very well get close to an Xbox One X IN DOCKED MODE while retaining the portability factor and providing solid battery life on a 1080p screen. Entirely plausible for Holiday 2022

Codes 208

Absolutely not. The wii was essentially gamecube level, the wii u was basically a 360 (with double the ram) and the switch is about 1/3 the power of a basic xbox one. I expect their next systems to be between 3-5Tflops at most.

Nintendo consoles for the past couple console generations have never been as powerful as what Sony and Microsoft had to offer. So I would expect the Switch 2 to be more powerful than PS4/Xbox One, maybe even matching Xbox One X but not surpassing it. In any case, most people buy Nintendo consoles to play their exclusives where the emphasis is more on gameplay than graphics.

Last edited:

ptuck874

We should assume that right? Or is that expecting too much from Nintendo?
giphy.gif

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Absolutely not. The wii was essentially gamecube level, the wii u was basically a 360 (with double the ram) and the switch is about 1/3 the power of a basic xbox one. I expect their next systems to be between 3-5Tflops at most.

3-5 Tflops on a Nintendo Console in 2-3 years is absolutely putting up Xbox One X level visuals for damn sure.

Zannegan

Well after looking at this article : https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/15/ I don't expect it anymore. I was hoping it would because then it would be able to get some of pS5 and Xbox series X third party games on the go. The Switch is only slightly weaker than the Xbox one. So I didn't think it would be too far fetched to think they would go so high. However based on their trends it seems to be too much of a jump.
I don't think that Gamespot forum post is anything like factual. For instance, iirc, the GPU inside the Switch is theoretically capable of up to 500Gflops (like-for-like, not half precision), but it's not hitting max clocks even when docked, and certainly not in portable mode.

The switch is closer to 25% of the base XBox 1's power. In terms of raw grunt, it's a lot closer to the Wii U, though with a lot more modern features and with NVidia's (at the time) performance per TF advantage. Maybe call it 1/3 of what the XB1 can do to be generous.

Unless they go with an actual console again, you can expect up to a generational leap between hybrids, nothing more. It's not really worth comparing them to the competition to set your expectations (it's certainly fair to compare to determine value for you as a customer). Historically, it just doesn't pan out.

For me, something on par with the PS4 in raw grunt but with more modern features would be really nice for a hybrid. *shrug*

Alternatively, if you want to believe a mix of random rumors, what they *might* do, is create a console-console at about the PS4 Pro's power level (just powerful enough to maybe get downports)called the "Switch 2," while they wait for the portable tech to mature, then put out a hybrid of about the same power docked 2-4 years later.

Last edited:

Thurible

I don't see nintendo going on par with their competition in terms of power. They still seem to be focusing on the blue ocean stategy of business, trying to tap into different ways to play games.

tkscz

That depends on what Nintendo goes with hardware wise and what you consider "as powerful". Most companies with mobile divisions have one focus, mobile phones. Mobile phone GPU technology seems much better than it actually is, as it doesn't HAVE to be that good. Most engines scale down to get games that normally require more power to run on SIGNIFICANTLY less power. So if Nintendo went with anything like a SNAPDRAGON, don't expect it to come close to the OneX on any level.

Then you have Nvidia and AMD. Their mobile efforts tend to be broader than just phones. When Nintendo were working on the Switch, they needed something in a hurry and just chose an off the shelf Tegra, which is something they've NEVER done before (but with the failure of the WiiU and the need for something quick, I can understand). However, the Tegra X1 was already two years old and ran no better than a Geforce 950 if you had to give it something to compare to. However, Nintendo can't repeat this with Nvidia. The Tegra series has stepped away from graphical processing and is focused solely on automation. So going with Nvidia (or AMD) would mean a costume chipset.

With Nvidia, they could do a costume version of the Orin chipset. Now this chipset has not been released, but Tegras tend to double performance over previous models (in this case the Tegra Xavier) while lowering power consumption. If you were to double the FLOPs from Xavier to Orin, you'd get 2.8TFLOPs, which, for most people here, would say that it wouldn't compare to the OneX. However, there is more to hardware than just how fast it can operate floating points (look at the history of AMD and Nvidia Graphic cards as proof of that). The Xavier chipset is the first Tegra to support Tensor cores. These are the chips partly responsible for the RTX series having ray tracing. If the next Switch uses the chipset that comes after Xavier (Orin) then it would mean it would have built in ray tracing, something the OneX doesn't have and cannot do. We also have to take into accounting that by 2020-2021, Nvidia will have die shrunk down to 7nm (for reference, the Switch's chips are at 20nm), allowing for more cores, more performance and less power consumption and less heat. This may allow for FLOPs anywhere from 3.2 to 5TFLOPs. Again, in pure numbers that sounds awful, but working with the tech inside it, it would allow the Switch 2 to produce better looking shader/lighting effects than the OneX.

AMD doesn't really have a mobile competitor to Nvidia, but AMD is known for making more costume chips than Nvidia does. AMD is also working towards having 5nm chips by 2021, which would work much better in APU format for a mobile device than 7nm tegra would. However, there is no telling what kind of effect 5nm would have on floating points when compared to 7nm. Could be something small like a stable 5TFLOPs, or something crazy like a theoretical max of 9TFLOPs.

There is also the question of RAM and storage. NO mobile RAM now or by 2022 compares to the speeds and bandwidth of GDDR5. LPDDR5 doesn't come close and that's the FASTEST mobile RAM around right now. Nintendo could go with NVME storage to close that gap some, but unless someone makes a low powered version of GDDR5, GDDR6 or HBM2, I see memory speeds and bandwidth being an issue no matter what.

TL: DR - in terms of Floating points operations, Nintendo would need a custom chipset from Nvidia or AMD that had 7 or 5nm cores in order to compare, but it could be off set by the rest of the architecture, but could be bottle necked by the memory.

Last edited:

Arkam

It will be just powerful enough to port X1/PS4 (base) games to. So 1-2Tflops. Expecting much more than that is expecting it NOT to be a portable/hybrid like the (massively successful) Switch.

iHaunter

Most of their games are 1080p/60 so I don't know what you're getting at.

They are definitely NOT 1080p/60. At least not any game that matters. BOTW had SEVERE performance issues and dropped below 15 fps constantly. Same with Pokemon Sword. Not to mention Sword looked like it was on Low Graphic settings.

iHaunter

Tbf you could say that about the other two as well. Im pretty sure ive played more 60fps games on the switch than on xbox or ps4 who have prioritized rez over framerate

You can choose for many games though? On PS4 Pro I've gotten options to choose performance over graphics.

Mitchie23

Neo Member
Well, what's good about Nintendo is it's far cheaper. :messenger_beaming: However, I'll still go for PS or Xbox because of their versatility, backward compatibility, and their consoles are quite solid over the past few years.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
That depends on what Nintendo goes with hardware wise and what you consider "as powerful". Most companies with mobile divisions have one focus, mobile phones. Mobile phone GPU technology seems much better than it actually is, as it doesn't HAVE to be that good. Most engines scale down to get games that normally require more power to run on SIGNIFICANTLY less power. So if Nintendo went with anything like a SNAPDRAGON, don't expect it to come close to the OneX on any level.

Then you have Nvidia and AMD. Their mobile efforts tend to be broader than just phones. When Nintendo were working on the Switch, they needed something in a hurry and just chose an off the shelf Tegra, which is something they've NEVER done before (but with the failure of the WiiU and the need for something quick, I can understand). However, the Tegra X1 was already two years old and ran no better than a Geforce 950 if you had to give it something to compare to. However, Nintendo can't repeat this with Nvidia. The Tegra series has stepped away from graphical processing and is focused solely on automation. So going with Nvidia (or AMD) would mean a costume chipset.

With Nvidia, they could do a costume version of the Orin chipset. Now this chipset has not been released, but Tegras tend to double performance over previous models (in this case the Tegra Xavier) while lowering power consumption. If you were to double the FLOPs from Xavier to Orin, you'd get 2.8TFLOPs, which, for most people here, would say that it wouldn't compare to the OneX. However, there is more to hardware than just how fast it can operate floating points (look at the history of AMD and Nvidia Graphic cards as proof of that). The Xavier chipset is the first Tegra to support Tensor cores. These are the chips partly responsible for the RTX series having ray tracing. If the next Switch uses the chipset that comes after Xavier (Orin) then it would mean it would have built in ray tracing, something the OneX doesn't have and cannot do. We also have to take into accounting that by 2020-2021, Nvidia will have die shrunk down to 7nm (for reference, the Switch's chips are at 20nm), allowing for more cores, more performance and less power consumption and less heat. This may allow for FLOPs anywhere from 3.2 to 5TFLOPs. Again, in pure numbers that sounds awful, but working with the tech inside it, it would allow the Switch 2 to produce better looking shader/lighting effects than the OneX.

AMD doesn't really have a mobile competitor to Nvidia, but AMD is known for making more costume chips than Nvidia does. AMD is also working towards having 5nm chips by 2021, which would work much better in APU format for a mobile device than 7nm tegra would. However, there is no telling what kind of effect 5nm would have on floating points when compared to 7nm. Could be something small like a stable 5TFLOPs, or something crazy like a theoretical max of 9TFLOPs.

There is also the question of RAM and storage. NO mobile RAM now or by 2022 compares to the speeds and bandwidth of GDDR5. LPDDR5 doesn't come close and that's the FASTEST mobile RAM around right now. Nintendo could go with NVME storage to close that gap some, but unless someone makes a low powered version of GDDR5, GDDR6 or HBM2, I see memory speeds and bandwidth being an issue no matter what.

TL: DR - in terms of Floating points operations, Nintendo would need a custom chipset from Nvidia or AMD that had 7 or 5nm cores in order to compare, but it could be off set by the rest of the architecture, but could be bottle necked by the memory.

Props on the solid breakdown.

Can you name which are? Because I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate to be honest.

Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Tropical Freeze of the top of my head. (Someone check my math)

Ar¢tos

Can't wait to see how SHITTY pokemon games will look on a 6tf machine. With 1tf they look like ps2 games, with 6tf they will look like Gameboy color games...

Top Bottom