• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to assume that Nintendo's next console will be more powerful than Xbox one X?

GymWolf

Gold Member
MYruleJ.gif

JLB

Banned
ill never understand why Nintendo followed this route. As a kid, nintendo consoles were synonymous of power and cutting edge technology (snes and n64). The wow moment i got when i first played and wstched mario64 or ocarina of time wont happen again.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Any idea when we might expect the next Nintendo console? I know they haven't announced anything, but how long would you suppose we have to wait, before the next?

magnumpy

general rule for nintendo: take whatever the competition is doing and divide that up into much smaller fractions

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nobody is designing their own chips anymore. It comes down to what is available within the parameters of what they are trying to do. There is no more advanced Tegra for the home market - later revisions, and later Nvidia chips in general, target different markets. That’s not to say they’re not working on another one, but Nvidia has found very little success with mobile/SOC outside of Switch.

Edit: Right now, the most advanced mobile SOCs are closer to One S than One X, and those are completely custom designs from Apple who controls the entire stack top to bottom, and on devices they sell for $1000+. So where Nintendo is going to get this One X level processor and put it in a $300 portable system... I don’t know. Not for a while.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Nobody is designing their own chips anymore. It comes down to what is available within the parameters of what they are trying to do. There is no more advanced Tegra for the home market - later revisions, and later Nvidia chips in general, target different markets. That’s not to say they’re not working on another one, but Nvidia has found very little success with mobile/SOC outside of Switch.

Edit: Right now, the most advanced mobile SOCs are closer to One S than One X, and those are completely custom designs from Apple who controls the entire stack top to bottom, and on devices they sell for $1000+. So where Nintendo is going to get this One X level processor and put it in a $300 portable system... I don’t know. Not for a while.

I wonder if Next Gen Switch is going to use the long rumored SCD? If so then that could give you all the computing power you need...in docked mode.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I would be shocked if any Nintendo console is the most powerful console in a generation.

CrisPy2019

The switch can already have xb1x visuals. At 3 Fps.

If the Switch2 is going to be 10x as powerful you will have 30fps.

Does anyone believe it's going to be 10x as powerful as switch? I don't think so not if it's still the same principle Handheld with docking. Since IT IS NOT a console no matter what anyone wants to believe or Nintendo marketing tells you.

Form factor, thermals, power consumption, cartridges instead optical media... all is limited by it being a handheld. Nothing points to it being a console.

Doomsday

Neo Member
Can you name which are? Because I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate to be honest.

I was talking about Nintendo's first-party output who tends to favor 60fps and 1080p on switch. Moreso than any other AAA developer (on any consoles) which tend to target 30 FPS whatver the resolution they are shooting for. The Pro/X era is changing that somehow in giving more PC-like options to the player.

Arms
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi’s Crafted World

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was talking about Nintendo's first-party output who tends to favor 60fps and 1080p on switch. Moreso than any other AAA developer (on any consoles) which tend to target 30 FPS whatver the resolution they are shooting for. The Pro/X era is changing that somehow in giving more PC-like options to the player.

Arms
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Those are 1080p? Colour me genuinely surprised.

Bryank75

Banned
Unless it's a non-mobile / home console, it won't be much more than 1 Tflop. Maybe somewhere between Xbox One and PS4 power...

_Ex_

Gold Member
Their current console is at best a handheld tablet that connects to the TV either through a cable or a cheap shitty piece of plastic.

Nintendo's current console is a complete ripoff of the Vita. It's Vita 2.0 if we're being honest. The only difference being that Nintendo knew how to market such a thing in the west, unlike Sony.

nikolino840

Next Nintendo hardware Is a normal console Just for the 3d parties
First parties continue to publish also on switch
I am 90% sure that Nintendo don't build an another portable hardware

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nintendo gonna nintendo.

if you look to them for performance you're gonna have a bad time.

it took them until 2017 to reach 720p. their next major release will probably focus on 1080p as the bottom end. if it's a Switch 2 then we might see docked performance hit 1440-1800p with upscaling to 2160p.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
It’ll be interesting to see how long they do actually milk the switch. Their handhelds can have longer staying power than consoles. It’s a bit high priced still I believe but at 199$ it would look like a relaunch.

They’ll lose generations of gamers they helped create by staying mostly mobile. It’s somewhat offputting... mobile gaming sucks too. So let them milk it but give older players a home option with true hd if not 4K, hdr and other benefits. It doesn’t have to be a switch pro... it just needs to be a dedicated home sku... fuck the gimmicks... they’re worthless

I would love to see them go third party of course. I’d rather not have to buy a new console for just a new Metroid or Zelda every 6-8 years. But Nintendo will leave money on the table to do what they do.

I still can’t believe they tried selling cardboard.

Mista

Banned
Yeah right. Of course not! Let Nintendo do Nintendo without them having to compete with PS and Xbox hardware power. This what makes Nintendo special anyways

I honeslty think they're going to ask Devs what hardware specs they absolutely need to have to port over at least some bigger PS5/XSX games and aim for that.

The flagship AAA titles will probably still be a no show, but getting games like Doom, Dragon Quest 11, Fortnight and FIFA on Switch has been too good of a selling point for them to just ignore power and do whatever the hell rhwy want again.

They do not want another 'also ran' like the WiiU earlier this gen to happen again next gen.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Depends on when it arrives and what the fuck it is? Shouldn't that be the first question? Also what's the point of beating any system, fanboys/h8ers will trash talk it out of jealousy for its games for not reaching then-latest ms/sony systems in power anyway, not praise it for beating a previous one.

Last edited:

Zannegan

For whatever it's worth, this poster is a dev and broke the Wii U specs back in the day on GAF....and some people took it pretty hard lol
I will never forget Arkam telling it like it was for the Wii U and everyone (me included, though I was a lurker not a member back then) doing their darndest to bury their heads in the sand.

I learned a valuable lesson that gen: just because it doesn't make a lick of sense, and Nintendo "would have to actively try to make a system that underpowered," doesn't mean it isn't true. Lol. I also learned that Nintendo thinks very little about specs outside if what their own first parties need to create great-looking games (at the level they're already aiming for).

Anyone betting on them trying to match this or that current gen console or to stay within X% of next gen is setting themselves up for disappointment. They might, they might not. There's really no telling what they're going to do.

Mega_Deth

I doubt it. Nintendo are wise enough to know they simply cannot compete against MS and Sony in terms of pure hardware. The Xbox One X specs are still very formidable for a home console and I do not think Nintendo is going to ditch the 'hybrid' system they have going on to go back to TV-exclusive consoles. That fancy screen(will probably be OLED for their next console) is a big factor in the cost of their consoles, so performative hardware has to take a backseat.

nintendo gonna nintendo.

if you look to them for performance you're gonna have a bad time.

it took them until 2017 to reach 720p. their next major release will probably focus on 1080p as the bottom end. if it's a Switch 2 then we might see docked performance hit 1440-1800p with upscaling to 2160p.
Agreed with this, Nintendo used 2015 chip for Nintendo Switch in 2017.

Next Switch is probably going to use 2019-20 chip like Xavier or Orin and releasing it 2-3 year after that.

I really wish Nintendo to release a pro version of current Mariko Switch with higher CPU/GPU frequencies and better solution for thermal control.

joe_zazen

Nintendo's current console is a complete ripoff of the Vita. It's Vita 2.0 if we're being honest. The only difference being that Nintendo knew how to market such a thing in the west, unlike Sony.

also,
  • nintendo owns the most valuable IP in gaming. people only bought vita because the liked the hardware, people buy switch because they like the games and the IPs.
  • vita wasn’t powerful enough to actually run console type games because 2011 was too soon.
  • no r2/l2 or click sticks.
Ninty has found a good niche and will probably sell 100 million switches.

I doubt it. Nintendo are wise enough to know they simply cannot compete against MS and Sony in terms of pure hardware. The Xbox One X specs are still very formidable for a home console and I do not think Nintendo is going to ditch the 'hybrid' system they have going on to go back to TV-exclusive consoles. That fancy screen(will probably be OLED for their next console) is a big factor in the cost of their consoles, so performative hardware has to take a backseat.

switch has a fancy screen?

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Well after looking at this article : https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/15/ I don't expect it anymore. I was hoping it would because then it would be able to get some of pS5 and Xbox series X third party games on the go. The Switch is only slightly weaker than the Xbox one. So I didn't think it would be too far fetched to think they would go so high. However based on their trends it seems to be too much of a jump.

That site is bullshit.

Switch doesnt have 1 Tflops.

It is more like 0.175tflops handheld and 0.3-0.4tflops docked.

SWITCH IS WEAK. There is no secret sauce.

For switch 2 I would expect at maxium maybe 40-50% of xbox one at handheld mode, and 70-80% docked.

But even that is unlikely because nintendo wants to cheap out and use as slow tech as possible

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Lol no...

With Nintendo it’s never safe to assume anything. It’s just as possible their next console will be less powerful than the switch.

Nintendo man... they keep you guessing...

Top Bottom