• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it wrong to judge somebody for speaking with a vocal fry/uptalk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned

It normally doesn't bother me, but that did. There are lots of speech patterns that can do this though. It's really an involuntary thing. Both on their part and the person annoyed. What I don't get is why anyone would think they are not intelligent or would say anything to their face. That seems like a real dickish thing to do (after I say that her voice annoyed me. I know).

Kieli

Well, I'm guilty of interjecting useless remarks like "Wow" or "Amazing"......

But I promise I'm not trying to sell you buckets of rice.

marrec

Banned
Like most linguistic changes, old people judge things they don't understand.

It's not "wrong" to judge, but only because "right" and "wrong" linguistically are hard to define. Vocal fry is not a conscious affectation in 2016, and absolutely does not denote the speakers intelligence or socioeconomic status.

I find up talking annoying and it comes off as pretentious to me but I don't think I've met anyone in real life that uses the vocal fry unironically

Fuchsdh

Vocal fry is an affection -- something people choose to do ... it's basically imitating Kim Kardashian. I have to agree with Lake Bell regarding this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/lake-bell-in-a-world_n_3671145.html

People will judge you based upon how you choose to communicate, whether it is fair or not/

I mostly agree, but to play devil's advocate and interrogate this line of thinking—what about gay accents/lisps? It's an affectation too. Is it fine to think less of them for their speaking habits?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I just never understood how this was associated with gender, I know plenty of men who use vocal fry and uptalk. Probably more men than women.

It's not wrong to judge people for how they speak. People always judge people for how they present themselves and how that reflects on their character, like that firm versus limp handshake thing or how casually someone uses curse words.

That said I'm only especially annoyed by verbal ticks when the person is giving a speech of some type or talking on the radio or a podcast. I find it really distracting.

marrec

Banned
I just never understood how this was associated with gender, I know plenty of men who use vocal fry and uptalk. Probably more men than women.

It's not wrong to judge people for how they speak. People always judge people for how they present themselves and how that reflects on their character, like that firm versus limp handshake thing or how casually someone uses curse words.

That said I'm only especially annoyed by verbal ticks when the person is giving a speech of some type or talking on the radio or a podcast. I find it really distracting.

I have pretty extreme vocal fry.

I do hours long presentations/training sessions about twice a month, public speaking is literally my job, and vocal fry has NEVER got in the way of my job.

I'm a man though

I don't really notice vocal fry until its pointed out so not really any issue with it.

Up talking on the other hand is annoying as hell. I've known a number of people who talk like that.

Nobody seems to complain about vocal fry when men do it.

Every single cool male lead with a gravely voice has used vocal fry at some point in a movie and you loved it.

I listen to a podcast called The Slate Culture Gabfest, and all of their younger reporters or interns have insane vocal fry. I don't know if it's an east coast thing or just a young person thing or what.

Stuff You Should Know, a podcast, did an episode on vocal fry, up talk and the origins and evolution of both. Really interesting and discussed how females have traditionally introduced vocal cadence and quirks before larger adoption sets in.

RibMan

Personally, it would be idiotic of me to come to a conclusion about someone based on the way they talk.

Professionally, I can see how uptalk wouldn't be ideal, especially in a presentation/pitching environment. In speech 101, you're taught how to kill uptalk. The rationale is that uptalk makes everything you say sound like a question, and if you're pitching an idea, you (obviously) want to convey as much confidence as possible.

Two Words

Personally, it would be idiotic of me to come to a conclusion about someone based on the way they talk.

Professionally, I can see how uptalk wouldn't be ideal, especially in a presentation/pitching environment. In speech 101, you're taught how to kill uptalk. The rationale is that uptalk makes everything you say sound like a question, and if you're pitching an idea, you (obviously) want to convey as much confidence as possible.

Devil's Advocate argument:

Given what you just said in a professional context, doesn't that extend to other contexts? If somebody speaks to me with uptalk, it makes them sound less confident to me. This effects how I perceive them. Maybe I take on a perception that they are a consistently unsure person, for example. Is that wrong?

marrec

Banned
Devil's Advocate argument:

Given what you just said in a professional context, doesn't that extend to other contexts? If somebody speaks to me with uptalk, it makes them sound less confident to me. This effects how I perceive them. Maybe I take on a perception that they are a consistently unsure person, for example. Is that wrong?

Counter:

Instead of expecting people to train themselves to conform to your tiny expectations, perhaps you should train yourself to not perceive uptalk in a negative light?

Two Words

Counter:

Instead of expecting people to train themselves to conform to your tiny expectations, perhaps you should train yourself to not perceive uptalk in a negative light?

My devil's advocate argument is working from the given assumption that it is wrong in a professional context.

Two Words

You said "it makes them sound less confident to me" something you have control over.

From a devil's advocate pov.

Well, yes that is true that it does that to me, but I was extending his argument of sounding less confident in a professional setting to other settings as well.

Nobody seems to complain about vocal fry when men do it.

Every single cool male lead with a gravely voice has used vocal fry at some point in a movie and you loved it.

Wait, men do it too? I have only heard that vocal fry on tv and it was women, never met one in real life. Any links to how a man sounds?

Does not bother me at all and I would judge on the substance of what someone says rather than their accent but I also like all the diverse ways people speak.

marrec

Banned
Well, yes that is true that it does that to me, but I was extending his argument of sounding less confident in a professional setting to other settings as well.

To which I say, as vocalization and presentation change consequently with language, it's up to those who are left behind to train themselves instead of those who are bringing innovation.

Wait, men do it too? I have only heard that vocal fry on tv and it was women, never met one in real life. Any links to how a man sounds?

I'd post my podcast but it seems egotistical.

Lots of men have vocal fry, but it's more excused.

I'd rather people have some respect for the image they're portraying to others. Vocal fry and uptalking does no one favors.

I think it's worthwhile to point out how hypocritical this type of post is.

You give no explanation for why vocal fry and uptalking are bad. They're not. They may be distinct from the way you're used to hearing people talk, but that doesn't make them bad. Conversely, I'm used to hearing people speak with vocal fry, so should I criticize those who abstain? You can't just criticize something without explaining why and then claim to be taking the high road.

Please have some respect for the image you're portraying to others.

To which I say, as vocalization and presentation change consequently with language, it's up to those who are left behind to train themselves instead of those who are bringing innovation.

I'd post my podcast but it seems egotistical.

Lots of men have vocal fry, but it's more excused.

Post it! I need to hear how it sounds.

Two Words

Uhh, I don't think uptalk is innovative in any way. Sure, maybe in 100 years that is how everybody will be talking, who knows. But it's not as if its giving something new to communication.

marrec

Banned
Uhh, I don't think uptalk is innovative in any way. Sure, maybe in 100 years that is how everybody will be talking, who knows. But it's not as if its giving something new to communication.

In your opinion.

It's impossible to ascertain in the moment whether a singular vocal tick is going to change the way we speak, one thing is for certain though, uptalk has been more permanent than most "slang" affectations and seems to have taken root in a generation of Americans.

The reasons aren't for us to judge, we as the older generation only have to understand that language, both spoken and written, are not ours to steward but only observe and try to keep up with.

As always, there is not "right" and "wrong" way to speak english. There is only the "understandable" and "unintelligible".

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I have a fair amount of vocal fry. I'm a 31yo woman btw and have been doing it since I was a teenager, it evolved in my voice around puberty. It is not a choice. But I can concentrate and eliminate it, which I do when I have any kind of public speaking

And for anyone judging intelligence based on it, I have a BSEE from UMD, along with DOL Electronics Mechanic and Electronics Technician certifications and am a fairly decorated Fire Controlman First Class in the US Navy.

Two Words

In your opinion.

It's impossible to ascertain in the moment whether a singular vocal tick is going to change the way we speak, one thing is for certain though, uptalk has been more permanent than most "slang" affectations and seems to have taken root in a generation of Americans.

The reasons aren't for us to judge, we as the older generation only have to understand that language, both spoken and written, are not ours to steward but only observe and try to keep up with.

As always, there is not "right" and "wrong" way to speak english. There is only the "understandable" and "unintelligible".

If you want to argue about it being "understandable" uptalk only harms that. English has used what uptalk consistently does as a way to denote a sense of unsureness. It essentially acts like Spanish's subjunctive mood. But if people always speak in uptalk, that mood is taken away from English.

Does not bother me at all and I would judge on the substance of what someone says rather than their accent but I also like all the diverse ways people speak.

This woman on some of the Slate podcasts has major vocal fry. She sounds intelligent and cute kinda. Katy Waldman.

Good read:
http://ww2.kqed.org/pop/2015/07/29/why-naomi-wolf-is-like-totally-wrong-on-vocal-fry/

Has a clip of men's vocal fry

The clip in the article has men doing it, albeit a bit over the top. Here's a more normal approach that you hear all the time in this Iron Man 3 trailer when he says "teacherrr, numberrr, etc"

https://youtu.be/oYSD2VQagc4?t=58

michael-bolton-office-space.gif

marrec

Banned
If you want to argue about it being "understandable" uptalk only harms that. English has used what uptalk consistently does as a way to denote a sense of unsureness. It essentially acts like Spanish's subjunctive mood. But if people always speak in uptalk, that mood is taken away from English.

You're wrong though, English hasn't always used "uptalk" as a denotaiton of question, that was brought over by the mostly French speaking Normans.

Other languages don't have these "uptalking" hangups that English stubbornly clings too either.

Yes, for a long time, uptalk has been used to help listeners understand context, but that does not mean that we have to keep what once was a French affectation forever.

Two Words

You're wrong though, English hasn't always used "uptalk" as a denotaiton of question, that was brought over by the mostly French speaking Normans.

Other languages don't have these "uptalking" hangups that English stubbornly clings too either.

Yes, for a long time, uptalk has been used to help listeners understand context, but that does not mean that we have to keep what once was a French affectation forever.

I never said that English always used that. It's not like I could possibly know that. What I said is that using uptalk to denote uncertainty in a statement or emphasize something is a question adds expressivity to the language. How does saying everything with uptalk add expressivity? It just takes it away.

RibMan

The way you talk =/= the way you are. Your speech and vocal patterns are a result of where you grew up and who you grew up around. In my opinion, it's not smart to form an opinion on someone just because they talk and sound differently.

You can be trained to change your speech and vocal patterns, but a presence/absence of uptalk/vocal fry tells me absolutely nothing about your thinking abilities, creative abilities, morals, ethics, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom