• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it wrong to judge somebody for speaking with a vocal fry/uptalk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people learned to stop judging others by accent and focus their attention spans more on the content of one's speech, we'd all be better off IMO

this kind of shallow, petty grievance only leads to more of the worst

uptalk and vocal fry haters, you book-by-the-cover cookie-cutter superficial surface-dwellers, smh

If people learned to stop judging others by accent and focus their attention spans more on the content of one's speech, we'd all be better off IMO

this kind of shallow, petty grievance only leads to more of the worst

uptalk and vocal fry haters, you book-by-the-cover cookie-cutter superficial surface-dwellers, smh

should've added a motherfucker but I agree with this assessment,

Zakalwe

Banned
I find it irritating if too extreme, but I won't judge a person's intelligence based on it. That would be incredibly stupid of me.

ChryZ

People don't "accessorize" their talking voice here. It's hard to unhear once you've noticed it. The thing is, I don't mind real accents at all. Those sound natural to me, but vocal-fry doesn't.

I don't hear/notice vocal fry much, but I don't think it would bother me.

Uptalking is awful though. Every sentence sounds like a question and it's really distracting.
All the emphasis is in the wrong place, so it's hard to follow.
Worst is when people use it in public speaking. I occasionally hear it from some scientists while they give a talk about some really complex shit, and it just makes it really hard to parse the sentences.

Normal speaking allows you to infer meaning from the tone used. Uptalking makes it about as context-rich as listening to 90's era computer generated speech. It's just a really bad way of communicating.

Two Words

Your question made me curious, so I did a bit of looking and found the article I linked a few posts above. It makes an excellent point about perception of women who have vocal fry vs men who do.

Even goes to say that people aren't consciously sexist when condemning vocal fry in women, and it's more of a societal issue.
I agree that women get more shit for it than men. I wonder if that is because it is more noticeable for women since women typically have a much higher voice. Do the change in pitch is much greater when women do it.

KrellRell

Judging people for this thing is ok, but how dare you judge for that thing. Doop dee doo doo, I'm right about everything, a superior being. I guess it's ok to judge others for things that annoy you personnally, lol.

I make fun of my sister for this all the time. Didn't know it was called vocal fry, from South Florida so I call it the Boca RaTone. It's a weird phenomenon because she doesn't always talk in that tone, always come out when she's judging some1 tho.... I blame the Kardashians.

I try not to judge, but at least I use my actual voice when I do.

I'm sure everyone who judges people because of this or makes assumptions about their intelligence only uses the most perfect RP and has no racist or sexist tendencies at all!

I like vocal fry much more than up talk, but yeah it's a stupid thing to judge people over. I think I vocal fry a lot, but it's hard to tell.

Vocal Fry is just really really terrible.
You have to be a terrible person to do that. Like a baby from Taylor Swift and Adolf Hitler but worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom