• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft making two completely different Xbox branded products for next gen?

Microsoft needed a Kinect App-store right from the start.

I mean, with all the fuss about the product, imagine how much more exposure that could bring.

An improved Kinect with a dedicated platform and store could be a hit. I mean, look at all the cool stuff indie devs came out with.

HTuran

So are people suggesting that this second, 'casual' box will contain lower powered components compared to the 'hardcore' box, and therefore unable to play the same games?

Wouldn't this double R&D costs? Double component sourcing costs? Double SDK development costs? Split the developer base? Would XBLA games run on both systems, but a few only run on the 'hardcore' box? I take it the 'hardcore' box can play everything the 'casual' box can?

Just curious, it's certainly an interesting idea.

RooMHM

CliffyB only confirms that he's a spokesperson, a showman. He never said something I found clever or interesting about videogames.

I think the hole in this 2 products strategy is the motivation to go on the core console. It will sell less, games will cost more why would publishers and devs go for that? honestly what you're describing to me is a 2nd "master race" syndrome. I'm not even talking about piracy (but it could be an argument as most pirates are core gamers) but the size of the core gaming population. I'm not too confident about this.

Also I don't see Microsoft releasing a Kinect only console. That said, it's an interesting take on the matter.

I think part of my problem with this is basically a naming one. An Xbox that's not the current one, not the next one, and not compatible with either seems silly. But a "Windows 8 TV" that just happens to share an input device with the Xbox machines seems believable. Still, I wouldn't want to put myself in the position of putting my casual and core games on two completely incompatible devices.

monome

CliffyB only confirms that he's a spokesperson, a showman. He never said something I found clever or interesting about videogames.

I think the hole in this 2 products strategy is the motivation to go on the core console. It will sell less, games will cost more why would publishers and devs go for that? honestly what you're describing to me is a 2nd "master race" syndrome. I'm not even talking about piracy (but it could be an argument as most pirates are core gamers) but the size of the core gaming population. I'm not too confident about this.

Also I don't see Microsoft releasing a Kinect only console. That said, it's an interesting take on the matter.

I rather see the tv box as a to compliment the Windows 8 ecosystem and cement MS place online and give Nintendo and Apple the middle finger.

Big XBOX is to remain competitve towards Sony. And bigger Box might just kill Sony.

Proelite

I think MS will start to draw a distinction between Kinect and Xbox pretty soon. They'll want to put Kinects in everything, not just Xbox. To facilitate software consistency I think they'll have their own version of an app store, like people mentioned. I think they'll also add streaming game functionality to the app store.

The software layer:
Kinect App store
Kinect Stream (For streaming games)
Kinect Video Chat
etc.

Kinect TV $199-$299
Kinect 2.0
Arm + Powervr SOC
Main focus would be the TV aspect.

Kinect PC / Laptop

Kinect Toasters, Fridges, etc.

The next Xbox will be part of a HUGE selection of products that have Kinect Compatibility

Xbox 3 $399
Kinect 2.0
Powerful CPU
Powerful GPU
Lots of Ram

Xbox 3 Pro $499
Blu-ray Movie playback
Bigger HD

donny2112

I think part of my problem with this is basically a naming one. An Xbox that's not the current one, not the next one, and not compatible with either seems silly. But a "Windows 8 TV" that just happens to share an input device with the Xbox machines seems believable. Still, I wouldn't want to put myself in the position of putting my casual and core games on two completely incompatible devices.

I'm with this. First thought was that an Xbox "real" and an Xbox "casual" would split the market and/or encourage developers to go for the lowest common denominator to get the widest coverage. However as a publicly separate box with a different focus that also happens to play Xbox apps/games (see PSSuite functionality), it makes sense. Also agree with another poster that said Microsoft would also be basically conceding that a real Xbox 720 wouldn't be able to appeal to everyone, probably due to price, for at least the first few years of its life (ala Xbox 360). Decent way to keep up profits during those first few typically bleeding years, and thus, would be a great answer to Microsoft's goal of making the "Xbox" business profitability self-sustaining! :D

Proelite

I think people in this thread are being too conservative on what MS wants to accomplish with Kinect. Kinect isn't going to be synonymous with Xbox, or even gaming, pretty soon. They'll want Kinects to control everything in your house including your fridges / toasters.

I think they stumbled on something that fits perfectly with their vision of visualization and digital interaction for the future.

Remember MS mission of a robot in every house running Microsoft software? This is part of the step towards that.

Having a software layer for Kinect is crucial, so that's why I think they'll have an app store and other services up soon for Kinect.

Top Bottom