• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Oz / Sword of Etheria any good?

Gibbo

This game has recently popped back up on my radar..and I’m considering purchasing a PAL copy? Is this any good at all? I remember it being hyped up moderately…and then it just disappears off the radar altogether.

duckroll

But it's not a RPG. It's an action game that uses a juggle attack system. I know there are quite a few people that really liked it, but I picked up the budget Japan re-release and I was pretty disappointed. :(

Vashu

It's quite fun, but no stellar title. With it being an action oriented title with some RPG elements, it only really caters to people who like those kinda games. I thought it was fun, but it's not a must-have title.

OH thanks guys, i need to find out if it is out in pal territory cause although looking repetitive still looks entertaining.

The game has been out in Europe since February if I'm not mistaken and to answer your question:

It depends. I would never want to recommend a game wholeheartedly since I may seem like an idiot if you don't like it but I personally love it. I regard it as maybe the best action game this generation after the Devil May Cry-series (2 excluded of course) and Zone of the Enders 2. It has its high's and low's, the low's mainly being atrocious graphics (especially compared to other Konami endeavours like the previously mentioned ZoE2) and a story wich is at best passable as mildly intriguing but the gameplay more than makes up for it. It's all about mastering. It takes training and experience to become good, not just plain old hacking and slashing, something that is always a positive treat to me. The music is Michiru Yamane, end of story.

For more information, since I don't know how knowledgable you are of the game mechanics you could read one of the few reviews of the game here (I don't agree with everything in it though):
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62957

Ashram

Neo Member
Yes, it is out in PAL territory. I played a review-copy from Konami a few months back when I had to make a review.

Graphics and music are very nice, but I hated the gameplay. Found it to repetitive and after a few days I put the game aside. As duckroll said: there are people who like it, but I was not one of them.

I'm greatly considering importing this game. Originally, I never heard of Oz, until I played DDR Extreme 2. I ended up really liking the song and the background, which made me get more info about the game. I wish it would come to North America, but that doesn't look to happen. :( The gameplay does look like it could be a little repetitive, but that shouldn't be a problem for me (I don't have a problem with the DW series being that way).

I'll look for the game now and see how cheap I can get it for.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's good, but not great. My biggest complaint stems from the level design, which is fairly dull. It works, but it could have been more interesting.

Battle system is a lot of fun and the music is incredible.

ram

no its not good! the game is uninspired and boring. ugly visuals, framerate slowdowns every 3 steps and the difficult fighting system are going hand in hand. after the hype here at GAF, i expected a lot more from this game. its below mediocre! stay away!

ferricide

surprised bebpo hasn't chimed in. he gushed at me over AIM about this. i ended up buying it.

plus: soundtrack by michiru yamane (castlevania SOTN etc)
plus: character artwork by fumi ishikawa (suikoden 2 and 3)

i haven't cracked my budget copy that i picked up in japan yet so i've no opinion. no, this game will not be coming to the US ever, btw.

DarkStar

2.jpg

3.jpg

art_4805_id_1.jpeg

000245192.jpg

Top Bottom