• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Rhythm Gaming Still Relevant?

GamerJM

Banned
There are actually a lot of rhythm games now.

-Bemani still exists and if you have a Round 1 Arcade in your area you can play the newest games they release.
-Rock Band is getting DLC regularly again, Harmonix also released a new Amplitude, and Guitar Hero is still a thing.
-Hatsune Miku: Project Diva is still getting regular releases.
-The DJ Max team released Superbeat XoNIC last year which is supposedly really good (I didn't have time to get into it myself, I couldn't just pick up and play it due to depth perception problems but it seemed fantastic).
-There's also stuff like Theatrhythm, Rhythm Heaven/Tengoku, P4 DAN, IA/VT Colorful, the Taiko series, and maybe some other things that I'm forgetting, though the last Theatrhythm game doesn't look like it's getting a US release and it's on region-locked hardware (I can still play it since I have a j3DS and it's not as good as Curtain Call though).
-The clone rhythm game community on PC is alive and well, I know simfile packs still get released regularly. There are also mods for official rhythm games like In the Groove 2 and Rock Band 3 that add tons of songs.

Tain

I don't play em regularly anymore but if Konami put out an official IIDX PC controller and made it easy for my western ass to subscribe to the IIDX PC game, I'd probably sign up. IIDX is the king and I love that it still sees regular releases.

I'd also pick up a home version of Sound Voltex if that became convenient enough. Game seems awesome.

One of the big things I've noticed over the years is that I greatly prefer the Bemani standard of short songs over other games using songs of all lengths.

Demoskinos

Yeah, there are a lot of different scenes around different games. Its not at the forefront like it might have been for awhile especially with the rise of Guitar Hero and Rockband but its still alive and has very active communities around games.

A new Hatsune Miku game is actually coming out in August.

It's still relevant in Japan, there are tons of rhythm games being released (I'm currently juggling Project Diva Future Tone, Imas CG Starlight Stage and Imas Must Songs). The problem is that where, in the past, we'd get rhythm games (DDR, EBA etc.) localised with song lists aimed at the West, Guitar Hero and Rock Band saturated and destroyed that market. It pains me to say it but, with the exception of Miku, Western publishers probably aren't ever going to consider it viable to release rhythm games with song lists in a language most people can't understand.

MGrant

Rhythm games are still big here in Taiwan as well. Every arcade has a Taiko no Tatsujin machine. Lots of Jubeat and Dance Evolution (the kinect-style game) machines around here, too.

Just popping in to say if you like rhythm games and have a smart device, you should give Voez a shot. It's easily one of my favorite rhythm games ever, with a system that feels like it could only be on mobile, and the rotating unlocks/keys system feels pleasingly arcadey. They even add new songs regularly.

I downloaded Voez but never got around to making an account.

How does the unlock system actually work? It seems hard to get clear information on this without actually logging in.

cj_iwakura

It'll always be around in some form. The US bubble has more or less burst, but the scene is still active, just back in the underground.

Andamiro still make yearly Pump It Up mixes, the DJ MAX guys are still in the game, Bemani, Rhythm Heaven, Miku, etc etc etc.

Mizuguchi needs to return, though. The god will make his second coming one day.

if anything you should be fearful of the arcade rhythm game singularity, in which all rhythm games consist of nothing but vocaloid, touhou, iosys, or some combination of the three

it's approaching, beware

I sure saw signs of that in Akihabara. Damn near every new rhythm game had some variation of that song selection.

My favorite new rhythm game in Tokyo was easily (let's) Groove Coaster.

The new DDRs are god-awful. If it wasn't for the IIDX music, there'd be no reason to play them. Uninspired charts, bad UI, bad taste in music. Supernova 2 was the last decent one.

Toaster05

I think we've waited long enough already. The world has advanced to the point where we are ready for Samba De Amigo remastered.

Sega, you know it makes sense.

Keby

Been playing DDR Ace and gitadora tri-boost at round 1 Seattle. Don't know what you're talking about lol

I downloaded Voez but never got around to making an account.

How does the unlock system actually work? It seems hard to get clear information on this without actually logging in.

A succession of in-game missions (Beat X score on Y difficulty, complete Z different songs, etc.) reward you with keys and what passes for a plot in the game. Each key permanently unlocks one song. 45 keys (About $40 if you buy them at once in a pack) is a blanket 'unlock all' that also covers new songs as they're released. Keys can also buy a 3-pack of ingame avatars. Every few days, a song or two from the current 'free' list is locked, and replaced by different songs.

I used one of my mission reward keys, but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied to just play the current free songs. A friend of mine, on the other hand, tried it on her iPad and instantly fell in love, rung up the full unlock, and has had instant access to the dozen or so songs they've added to the game since then. The game is absolutely worth the $40, I just don't have it atm. It's really nice to be able to enjoy the game nearly fully anyway.

Falk

that puzzling face
I like the original post. For music games to thrive, it's really best in the arcade. At least let's see them succeed there first. I am hoping if DDRA is a success here we can see more music arcade games come over. If they manage to do really well perhaps we could get home releases but home controllers are so expensive.

The whole arcade thing really goes back to distribution/reach being a problem though. Yeah, you have your niche crowd who will -always- be there to ensure it's profitable, but only in select areas of the world.

Music cabs in arcades (or, well, even arcades in general) are struggling to be self-sufficient pretty much over 80% of the world. It doesn't matter how much a core group of maybe a dozen regulars pour into a machine - the maths simply does not work out.

Peripheral games also suffer a higher barrier of entry in terms of distribution.

If a game is to break out of its niche status, it absolutely has to be accessible, making use of an existing control scheme to its fullest (see: Superbeat Xonic for Dualshock4/PSVita layouts or simply QWERTY keyboards, or... well... a single touchscreen because smart devices) to combat a low population density of a target market.

Either that, or rely on a supernova of a fad, like the original GH/RB explosion. Like I mentioned though, that's a very, very different target market.

CloudWolf

I don't know about Eastern rhythm games, but the Western rhythm game resurgance has failed big time. Guitar Hero Live was praised on release, but very quickly forgotten by pretty much everyone and Harmonix seems to be killing off Rock Band themselves by constantly making bad decisions and not informing their fanbase enough about certain issues. For instance, I'm still waiting for some songs I have bought and should be available to redownload, even after Harmonix promised a month ago that the problems with those tracks would be resolved within a week or two.

TriAceJP

I play IIDX and DDR daily, so they ain't dead to me.

I think I was one of the maybe 5 people who liked Museca :( RIP

I do gotta say, I really miss the old original content Konami used to bust out. The last good odd years have brought updates that replaced their great artists with touhou/high pitched obnoxious anime crap. Where are you now, DJ Taka? ;-;

I play IIDX and DDR daily, so they ain't dead to me.

I think I was one of the maybe 5 people who liked Museca :( RIP

I do gotta say, I really miss the old original content Konami used to bust out. The last good odd years have brought updates that replaced their great artists with touhou/high pitched obnoxious anime crap. Where are you now, DJ Taka? ;-;
Museca isn't dead yet; it just had the 1 1/2 update which seems to be fairly well received so far. I don't live near a Round1 so I haven't had an opportunity to try for myself yet.

Taka is still around: https://remywiki.com/Takayuki_Ishikawa

The new DDRs are god-awful. If it wasn't for the IIDX music, there'd be no reason to play them. Uninspired charts, bad UI, bad taste in music. Supernova 2 was the last decent one.

Opinions and all that but IMO this couldn't be further from the truth. X was somewhat mediocre and X2 was good, but X3, 2013 and 2014 have been fantastic releases with some wonderful tracks, excellent charts, and UI and usability improvements. The UI in Ace is great and they finally fixed the polling issues that DDR has always had.

Valkyrie Dimension, 888, Nephilim Delta, Monkey Business, Over the Period, Egoism 440, Paranoia Revolution, Plan 8, Poochie are just a few of the songs from these mixes that I love and are damn fun to play.

TriAceJP

Museca isn't dead yet; it just had the 1 1/2 update which seems to be fairly well received so far. I don't live near a Round1 so I haven't had an opportunity to try for myself yet.

Taka is still around: https://remywiki.com/Takayuki_Ishikawa

He isn't nearly as prominent as he was. None of them are. Yamaoka/Kubota/Tatsh/good-cool/Yoshitaka left, a lot of others put out maybe a song or two. The only two old school artists I can think of who still put in a good amount of content are Y&Co and Kors K.

From what I have heard, they don't plan on releasing a follow up game to Museca.

Wonko_C

You think so? I had trouble playing Xonic with the touch controls, but enjoyed Technika with touch screen + back panel

It pains me to this day we won't ever see a new one. Platinumed that thing to hell and back. It's easily my favorite Vita game.

I meant something that generates based on the music you put in, like Audiosurf or Crypt of the NecroDancer. But on a handheld system.

Nothing like that exists unfortunately. There's some F2P mobile games that fit my description, but they're all garbage.

Kickbeat is available on PS Vita but I don't know if it supports custom music like the PC version.

Opinions and all that but IMO this couldn't be further from the truth. X was somewhat mediocre and X2 was good, but X3, 2013 and 2014 have been fantastic releases with some wonderful tracks, excellent charts, and UI and usability improvements. The UI in Ace is great and they finally fixed the polling issues that DDR has always had.

Valkyrie Dimension, 888, Nephilim Delta, Monkey Business, Over the Period, Egoism 440, Paranoia Revolution, Plan 8, Poochie are just a few of the songs from these mixes that I love and are damn fun to play.

Does DDR Ace have the classic UI or is it back to the scrolling list?

The UI of 2013 had issues, but otherwise this couldn't be further from the truth.

It's a grid ala sdvx now.

Interesting. I forgot which was the last mix I played (maybe X2?), but hated that they went back to the 2nd mix Disc UI. Now that they've changed the difficulty ratings, I have no idea what would constitute a classic 7, 8, or 9 block difficulty.

We actually just got our first official US DDR arcade mix released in the states in the last month... many Dave and Busters and all US round 1 locations have it. It's also the first time ever a US DDR arcade mix has been 1:1 feature perfect with the Japanese version which is pretty great (full e-amuse and online functionality, identical song lists).

Pump It Up is getting a new installment this year as well and were getting a big expansion for Rock Band 4. While music games will never be as big as they were during the peak of Guilt Hero and Rock Band, I think they serve a decent sized niche. Heck if you like Bemani and other Japanese rhythm games I could argue there's never been a better time to be into that thanks to round 1. Again, it's extremely niche, but man it's still there and I'm happy about it.

Sakujou

Banned
SDVX, JUBEAT, REFLEC BEAT are the games i love these days. when i first saw DDRin 99 in UK, I thought this is the latest shit. over the years i tried all of them. went to japan to get the full blast.
IIDX is so cool, but i cant get past level 5+no more cs releases.
these days i only play the ipad versions of the above mentioned games. love them, but thwy have bad support these days. i really hope, there will be a cheaper and easier way some day to play original arcades in germany. but arcades have been dead for so long. maybe there will be a revival with VR.

High Rise

Neo Member
Man I love rhythm gaming, havnt played one for ages.

My holy trinity of rhythm games are...

bust-a-groove-u-scus-94263-front.jpg

Patapon.jpg

sc5ps2eu.jpg

I need Sony to make a ps4 patapon asap!

kagamin

I pretty much play Project Diva every day, if I was at home I'd probably also be playing Idolmaster Shiny Festa every day, but what can you do right? I try to play Taiko related games (Idolmaster Must Songs) but I'm kinda bad at it.

Sakwoff

I mean, you're basically describing Osu! to a T. Which makes sense, since I'm pretty sure it started as a fan-project for Ouendan on PC.

Only problem is that you have to play it without a touch screen. That's a total deal breaker for me.

My brother loves it though. He's played at least 70+ custom songs this year alone.

I mean, you could try playing the game on phones/tablets, couldn't you? There are versions for various mobile/tablet OS. Dunno how well that stuff works though.

We actually just got our first official US DDR arcade mix released in the states in the last month... many Dave and Busters and all US round 1 locations have it. It's also the first time ever a US DDR arcade mix has been 1:1 feature perfect with the Japanese version which is pretty great (full e-amuse and online functionality, identical song lists).
Not to downplay how great the DDR A rollout here is, but it's not the first ever DDR released internationally (DDR USA and SuperNOVA through X2 exist, and e-Amusement was tested but not completely rolled out for SN2) nor is the song list completely identical (the international version is missing about 20 songs).

cj_iwakura

Hilariously enough, the last mix that South Florida got was X2... in one place, and it was a beat up GameWorks cabinet. South Florida used to have a massive DDR scene, and it's pretty much dead. Pump It Up easily dominates Broward county now; there's at least 10 cabinets in the tri-county area alone. I know of three DDRs. (An Extreme and a Supernova at Swap Shop, and an Extreme at Arcade Odyssey... not counting hacked ITGs, which are a little more common.)

I haven't had much time with the the post-X2 mixes, but at a glance, the new songs were walls of noise, and the stepcharts were incomprehensibly messy, difficult for the sake of being difficult, and slapping you with a fail if you miss so much as five steps.

When I was in Tokyo, I didn't see much DDR either. I think I saw two cabinets. Whatever that new mix was, none of the new songs piqued my interest. It was a wall of generic Jpop and Touhou stuff. IIDX Copula was way more interesting, and even its songlist didn't seem that great overall.

Groove Coaster and Museca, however, are a blast. Groove Coaster has phenomenal taste in music, as did Museca.

Rhythm games may not be in the healthiest position they've ever been right now, but I have been playing Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone for the past month and it's been glorious.

There's also quite a few good rhythm games on the Vita, some of which have been released in the West (Miku, DJ Max) but many more that haven't (Miracale Girls Festival, IA/VT Colorful, Utagumi 575, Taiko)

cj_iwakura

Y'know, I've never actually played this one, what is the gameplay like? Is it (mostly) okay on a modern TV?

It's somewhat comparable to Space Channel 5, I guess? You really have to play attention, the game will prompt you with choices, and you have to hit them on beat without any real cues.

It's a NIGHTMARE on modern TV. I had to deliberately hit the buttons a split second afterward when playing mine on the PS3.

High Rise

Neo Member
Y'know, I've never actually played this one, what is the gameplay like? Is it (mostly) okay on a modern TV?

I havnt played it in roughly 15 years! So I may be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. From what I remember the gameplay was solid, the better you do, the more access you get to special moves that put your opponent off their groove!!

But I do remember me and my friends having so much fun with the local vs mode back in the day, I remember some of the music being cheesy good too!!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Still relevant? Not in the West, no.
Do you think rhythm gaming could ever regain the power in the industry it once had?
Nah.
Or will it continue to stay as something niche, only being actively played by hardcore fans?
Yes.

The nature of Japanese rhythm games makes it relatively inaccessible to most people who play video games.
- Little to no avatar creation or character customization, much less character development; most people can't form an emotional attachment to the game by this factor alone.
- The easier a game is, the less it is played by hardcore fans, and it is very easy to fail at playing rhythm games when learning them.
- Most of the songs featured in the games require a liberal mindset to appreciate or at least not outright hate.

In other words, most video game players want to use their characters and in respect of a music game want to only play their music, and don't want to play a game which will cut a song off midway due to failure or otherwise impose "excessive" difficulty. Moreover, the lack of character development and direct focus on the play mechanics makes many people feel like the games are a type of work, and it's from here that several people make the "this is stupid bullshit, you should just play a real instrument if you want to do this" argument.

ps: I'm rather surprised by the lack of talk about Sinobuz from 2ch and the like. Seems like much more was seen of Copula after the tests.

Top Bottom