• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the addition of SSDs really as big a deal as people are making it out to be?

Eliciel

In terms of PlayStation, I believe that we will see insane things in 3-4 years...I really mean, crazy.
Look at TLOU2 on PS4Pro and imagine this being the mindset when creating a game on the PS5, the amount of optimization will be stupid crazy.
Fast forward to even a potential PS5Pro... ND will be able to create insane quality and I believe all other game creators have learned a lot on PS4 and they are being pushed heavily and SSD and I/O adjustment is one of the main focus areas that Sony has defined important.

In terms of XBOX, I really don't know, the Studios have to learn a lot and I am not just talking creating a 12TF Engine, I am talking holistically, they have to learn a lot and they need a lot of talent to maintaing the standard that we are talking about in terms of ND, GG, SSM, Insomniac, SuckerPunch. They can and will learn a lot, but it will take 1-2 iterations of game creation longer. I don't believe that "first timers" can deliver a TLOU2 "on the fly" just because they are using 12 TF, I am just not buying it.

Greeno

This is my interpretation of this image:
TOwILWC.png

According to Sony, the PS5 is able to get 8-9GBs worth of data in storage processed in a second on average. This may mean that the storage can act as an extension for the memory. In other words, you can load into the memory more data that pertains to 1 frame than usually would, then unload all that data and swap it with new data pertaining the next frame. I don't think there is any game engine on Earth that takes advantage of that yet other than UE5 (not even R&C showcases the kind of detail this technology can provide).

---------------------------------

As for the Xbox, we still don't know what the hell XVA is. Dirt 5's developer said this about future use of the Xbox's SSD drive:

"The drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk. How much texture data can I now load?"

In this interview:

Which tells me that the Xbox SSD drive can provide the same thing I explained above for the PS5 (not on the same level of course because the SSD provided in the PS5 is, simply put, faster).

Last edited:

Jerm411

In terms of PlayStation, I believe that we will see insane things in 3-4 years...I really mean, crazy.
Look at TLOU2 on PS4Pro and imagine this being the mindset when creating a game on the PS5, the amount of optimization will be stupid crazy.
Fast forward to even a potential PS5Pro... ND will be able to create insane quality and I believe all other game creators have learned a lot on PS4 and they are being pushed heavily and SSD and I/O adjustment is one of the main focus areas that Sony has defined important.

In terms of XBOX, I really don't know, the Studios have to learn a lot and I am not just talking creating a 12TF Engine, I am talking holistically, they have to learn a lot and they need a lot of talent to maintaing the standard that we are talking about in terms of ND, GG, SSM, Insomniac, SuckerPunch. They can and will learn a lot, but it will take 1-2 iterations of game creation longer. I don't believe that "first timers" can deliver a TLOU2 "on the fly" just because they are using 12 TF, I am just not buying it.

Totally...I mean those first timers like Obsidian, Playground, The Coalition, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, inXile, etc....what will they ever do?

Kadayi

Banned
SSDs are great in terms of fast system start up and big games when it comes to loading, but they're not really oriented to constant read write (unlike an HDD) which is something to be conscious of. In my PC for instance I have a few, one solely for the OS and Applications and another 2 for big game installs (Death Stranding, The Witcher 3, CP2077 when it arrives, etc) but anything like web downloads, music or smaller games I save onto a series of HDD drives. I try and keep the rewriting to a minimum with the SSDs.

Last edited:

Lethal01

SSDs are great in terms of fast system start up and big games when it comes to loading, but they're not really oriented to constant read write (unlike an HDD) which is something to be conscious of.

I think the Sony and Microsoft have made it extermely clear they are concious of these problems in the PC space and aim to rectify much of it with their devices and make SSD's more suitable for gaming.

LordOfChaos

SSDs are great in terms of fast system start up and big games when it comes to loading, but they're not really oriented to constant read write (unlike an HDD) which is something to be conscious of. In my PC for instance I have a few, one solely for the OS and Applications and another 2 for big game installs (Death Stranding, The Witcher 3, CP2077 when it arrives, etc) but anything like web downloads, music or smaller games I save onto a series of HDD drives. I try and keep the rewriting to a minimum with the SSDs.

The Techreport took a bunch of consumer SSDs and hammered them with daily heavy reads and writes, that was on 6 year old technology and essentially the conclusion was if you're not running a heavy fileserver 24/7 on your drive, don't worry about it as a consumer. Presumably the PS5 and SeX will have very up to standard wear leveling.

Say you wrote 20GB-40GB per day in data. That means to get to that 700TB, you’d have to do 40GB every day for 17,500 days, or about 50 years. The PS5's design may intensify this by trying to keep peaking out that 5GB/s raw data speed during playtime, but in that case you're also not running it 24/7.

Failover when the main drive in there dies is a question, but this isn't much of a worry of mine.

Kadayi

Banned
I think the Sony and Microsoft have made it extermely clear they are concious of these problems in the PC space and aim to rectify much of it with their devices and make SSD's more suitable for gaming.

Unless they intend to start making the hardware themselves and compete with the likes of Samsung I don't think there's much they can do, it's the nature of the format. The main thing is to ensure that the read write is spread out and it's not certain sectors constantly getting written.

What are the disadvantages of SSDs?
The downside of SSDs with the NAND Flash-based chips is that they have a limited life span by default. While normal HDDs can – in theory – last forever (in reality about 10 years max.), an SSD lifespan has a built-in “time of death.” To keep it simple: An electric effect results in the fact that data can only be written on a storage cell inside the chips between approximately 3,000 and 100,000 times during its lifetime. After that, the cells “forget” new data. Because of this fact – and to prevent certain cells from getting used all the time while others aren’t – manufacturers use wear-levelling algorithms to distribute data evenly over all cells by the controller. As with HDDs the user can check the current SSD status by using the S.M.A.R.T. analysis tool, which shows the remaining life span of an SSD.

The Techreport took a bunch of consumer SSDs and hammered them with daily heavy reads and writes, that was on 6 year old technology and essentially the conclusion was if you're not running a heavy fileserver 24/7 on your drive, don't worry about it as a consumer. Presumably the PS5 and SeX will have very up to standard wear leveling.

Say you wrote 20GB-40GB per day in data. That means to get to that 700TB, you’d have to do 40GB every day for 17,500 days, or about 50 years. The PS5's design may intensify this by trying to keep peaking out that 5GB/s raw data speed during playtime, but in that case you're also not running it 24/7.

Failover when the main drive in there dies is a question, but this isn't much of a worry of mine.

All the reports in the world don't matter for shit when you have actually had an SSD fail on you. I get it that they should last for years, but in my experience, the less writes the better.

Last edited:

Eliciel

Totally...I mean those first timers like Obsidian, Playground, The Coalition, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, inXile, etc....what will they ever do?

Gears (Coalition) and Hellblade (Ninja)?
Aside from These two games I can't think of any, can you? Looks to me like "First timers" until further notice.

InXile- Wasteland? Well....rly? In Terms of?

Double Fine- Psychonauts? Like as in a very good Premium Indy Game?

Obsidian - still waiting to See Something that catches my attention.

It's a Matter of taste but Not really the AAAA I am thinking about. Halo yeah, but Look what 343i brought to the table? Not quite a Lot..

Lots and Lots of Work to do in Terms of Optimization works and proper portfolio in the Here and now. Let's deliver some Games First in the 21st Century and then we can Talk about their remarkable skills.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Unless they intend to start making the hardware themselves and compete with the likes of Samsung I don't think there's much they can do, it's the nature of the format. The main thing is to ensure that the read write is spread out and it's not certain sectors constantly getting written.

Or... THey partner with the manufacturers and get something that they know could handle even extreme use cases for the user. Modern SSD's will be able to handle being in a game console unless you are pureposefull trying to wear it out.

Maybe 6 years ago this would have been a real concern but by the time wear becomes an issue people will have already upgraded to a better SSD>.

Last edited:

Jerm411

Aside from These two games I can't think of any, can you? Looks to me like "First timers" until further notice.

It's a Matter of taste but Not really the AAAA I am thinking about. Halo yeah, but Look what 343i brought to the table? Not quite a Lot..

You really have no clue what you’re talking about if you think any of the devs I listed are first timers or have no idea what they’re doing....

Just because they don’t make games you may not like or aren’t Naughty Dog hurr durr doesn’t mean they don’t make good games that a lot of people enjoy.

LordOfChaos

All the reports in the world don't matter for shit when you have actually had an SSD fail on you. I get it that they should last for years, but in my experience, the less writes the better.

There's out of spec failures for any consumer technology. What drive was this, what controller? They did take many rough years to get to where they are today, but modern SSDs are definitely more reliable than HDDs. I just wonder if it's not soldered to the board and can be swapped if it fails, or if the m.2 expansion can be made the primary.

ManaByte

There's out of spec failures for any consumer technology. What drive was this, what controller? They did take many rough years to get to where they are today, but modern SSDs are definitely more reliable than HDDs. I just wonder if it's not soldered to the board and can be swapped if it fails, or if the m.2 expansion can be made the primary.

No it's been known for a very long time about the read/write limitations of SSDs. It's not out of spec. Hell, Firefox had an issue once that was killing drives because people would leave the browser open and idle and it'd be constantly writing.

Or... THey partner with the manufacturers and get something that they know could handle even extreme use cases for the user. Modern SSD's will be able to handle being in a game console unless you are pureposefull trying to wear it out.

Maybe 6 years ago this would have been a real concern but by the time wear becomes an issue people will have already upgraded to a better SSD>.

What do you think constantly reading and writing 500GB of data to the secret sauce SSD will do it it?

Last edited:

Lethal01

No it's been known for a very long time about the read/write limitations of SSDs. It's not out of spec. Hell, Firefox had an issue once that was killing drives because people would leave the browser open and idle and it'd be constantly writing.

What do you think constantly reading and writing 500GB of data to the secret sauce SSD will do it it?

I'm not saying That SSDs are fucking invincible. I'm saying it's really not going to be an issue people have to account for anymore than hard drive failure would be.

Also reading from an SSD doesn't really make a difference writing is where the issue is. When gaming 99.9 of the SSDs work will be reading.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
An SSD will have majore impacts on game development, just as tge HDD did this gen

For the PS5 though it's not just the SSD, but it's the main reason everything else built around it will work.

Being able to load in assets near instantly, bigger, better textures, much more complicated effects (and even potentially AI, coupled with the far better CPU as it is) far greater draw distances and more efficient use of rendering will all theoretically not so much improve the PS5's raw power, but instead allow far more efficient and rapid use of what it has.

At least that's my understanding of it, in layman's terms.

An example of what can be done with the ideas behind this kind of tech is Horizon: Zero Dawn.

One of the reasons that game is able to look so amazing, have such complicated, intricate environments and character models, all while being open world, is because it's only loading and rendering what is in your field of view. Anything the camera pans too far away from gets culled and dumped out of memory, thus no longer requiring processing power, while new assets and details are loaded in just off screen as needed.

The PS5 should allow this approach to both be dialled up to 11 and be super simple to implement even for third party titles, not just those built for it from the ground up like HZD was.

Literally every single game on the shelves today does this dynamic dumping/culling. HZD looks so good because Guerilla is full of talented people who were able to make a great looking game, not because they invented the concept of culling.

If I recall, Kotaku got widely mocked when they acted like HZD’s culling system was a big deal, because it’s really not.

The next gen of consoles will be able to ratchet up the details primarily because the GPU and CPU are much more powerful and there is more, faster RAM.

Lethal01

Literally every single game on the shelves today does this dynamic dumping/culling. HZD looks so good because Guerilla is full of talented people who were able to make a great looking game, not because they invented the concept of culling.

If I recall, Kotaku got widely mocked when they acted like HZD’s culling system was a big deal, because it’s really not.

The next gen of consoles will be able to ratchet up the details primarily because the GPU and CPU are much more powerful and there is more, faster RAM.

Culling is not a big deal. Totally unloading large assets out of memory when you turn away from them is a big deal. Even if you aren't drawing them you need them in memory incase the player turns to see them.

This can be done without an SSD to a degree but the slower your drive is the less you can unload because if you do too much you won't have time to reload it in when the player turns to it so you would get pop in.

How much and SSD would be able to unload is many times more so again, this is indeed a big deal

quest

Not Banned from OT

Lots and Lots of Work to do in Terms of Optimization works and proper portfolio in the Here and now. Let's deliver some Games First in the 21st Century and then we can Talk about their remarkable skills.
Your leaving out playground and turn 10 they are top notch they have delivered especially playground. I don't think playground has yet to have a disappoint considering thier worst game is a 85 metacritic.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Having an SSD as a standard is a great thing for next gen.

Spending so much money and putting so much focus on a better SSD like Sony did is overkill, and like you said, they're choosing to focus their entire narrative on it because they know they got their pants pulled down on the GPU.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Having an SSD as a standard is a great thing for next gen.

Spending so much money and putting so much money on a better SSD like Sony did is overkill, and like you said, they're choosing to focus their entire narrative on it because they know they got their pants pulled down on the GPU.

Could be, but I doubt they were surprised the Xbox has a better gpu. They knew they were spending more resources on the SSD, so it stands to reason that with a similar cost budget Xbox would excel in a different area. That's just common sense isn't it?

mcjmetroid

I don't think so to be honest. Longer loading times won't sell systems. It's a nice bonus edition.
I haven't seen any good evidence of it effecting gameplay in a meaningful way yet.
I mean Rachet and clank will use it but how many games are going to require quickly shifting dimensions?

But say one console had it with shit games and another console didn't have it with amazing games.
The other without it is gonna sell more.

Tschumi

I think this trend of questioning SSDs has been generated as a consequence of console wars. I think xBox fans have tried and, mostly successfully, established a narrative whereby the PS5 SSD isn't that special. It's super quick, like, nifty.

That's disingenuous.

The PS5 SSD is so goddamn fast that it can act as RAM for the games - by the time you turn 180 degrees in game, no matter how quickly you've done it, worlds in unprecedented size, detail and complexity are theoretically possible. (this being beyond very short load times and whathaveyou) Whoever heard of launch titles taking full advantage of a system? What Ratchet and Clank are doing is not actually the entire vision of the SSD as Cerny presented it - they've got instant world generation down, but they're lacking in visuals (according to Cherno) and perhaps world size. I think we can take it as writ that these titles are toes in the water - Cerny talked about how easy PS5 is to program for, but we shouldn't assume that means every game will be a perfect adaptation of the hardware, every time.

By the end of the PS5 we will be seeing games like that Unreal demo, if not more. PS5 versions of Uncharted 3. Consider the demo for the previous Unreal engine - we're certainly past that now. One day the PS5 SSD will be entirely taken advantage of, and threads made in this spirit of suspicion- alongside so many other dismissive threads made before the consoles ever came out - will have to be retracted, reexamined, recast, whatever~

NOTE: This post was written with a tone of [whatever] towards xBox fans, I don't want to come across as sounding like I'm calling the OP an xBox fan - it would be lame for me to talk about the OP and refer to them as "xbox fans", lol - I'm just tapping in to what I consider to be the root narrative behind the SSD equivocation.

Saying the SSD isnt going to result in better graphics is very short sighted.

Yeah, the SSD doesn't crunch the TERAFLOPS needed to render pixels. That's not the point. These are SYSTEMS for a reason and every component has its purpose.

If the SSD allows developers to spend less time FIXING BUGS and issues with streaming data in (which is a massive headache with current gen consoles) and MORE TIME working on visual diversity...that's still a big win.

Secondly, MEMORY limitations are a BIG DEAL with GPU rendering pipelines. Anything you can do to remove the time the GPU is spent waiting (or having to re-render things needlessly), the better your visuals are going to look because you are wasting less of the GPU's time.

Bottom line is SSDs are a big fucking deal

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Textures will be way better because of SSD's, the problem is this is a transition period where developers are currently figuring out how to extract the most from these consoles, give them time.

Pedro Motta

We're done here. I hate armchair developers that haven't coded this stuff and trying to tell me I'm wrong. SSD isn't almost VRAM like. Are you serious?? I'll let one of the other Sony guys who is more rational convince you that you are being way too fanboish.
Nice try, pulling me into the fanboy realm. Next time time try to reply with useful information.

iHaunter

Hellllllllllllll fucking yeah. It's not even close. My M.2 SSD flies. I can't even use a laptop w/o an SSD now. It's soooo bad.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Could be, but I doubt they were surprised the Xbox has a better gpu. They knew they were spending more resources on the SSD, so it stands to reason that with a similar cost budget Xbox would excel in a different area. That's just common sense isn't it?
Sony likely didn't think MS would go so big with the GPU. The CU count is massive on the XSX compared to the PS5.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll end my back and forth here with you, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Here is New York in FS2020, this on an SSD would look 100x better.

Textures and details of buildings are pretty bad when you get close. No doubt super fast SSD could stream much higher quality textures and details constantly no matter How close and fast you travel.

This is actually a game that would Benedito abundantly.

Pedro Motta

Textures and details of buildings are pretty bad when you get close. No doubt super fast SSD could stream much higher quality textures and details constantly no matter How close and fast you travel.

This is actually a game that would Benedito abundantly.
I dunno how the other guy still talks after swallowing this whole crow so violently. Saying NYC would be more detailed on a flight sim than on Spider-Man or a GTA city. Delusional fanboy.

The real opinions that matter are the ones coming from game creators/developers. They're the only ones that can really say... and so far, they're saying a lot of really good stuff. I sometimes watch The Cherno, he makes games and use to work at EA on making game engines. He was really impressed by the SSDs and the architecture of the new systems.

Unless a person has developed a game before, they likely don't know and are just making mere guesses. You'll see people all the time "ehhh... it's an SSD" "I've had one for years, not much of a difference" The dismissal of developers opinions astounds me. Some ppl just believe they know better than ppl who do this for a living... okay. Like do you go to your Doctor and fight him on his diagnosis? You're wrong, I read on WebMD that I have this and that... 🤦‍♂️

The SSD's and these consoles architectures are the biggest leap, hands down. Also RT is a pretty good one too. We get faster GPU's every other year, thats nothing new. We get Fast/Powerful CPUs come that out all the time, that's nothing new. Dev's seem excited for the SSD's and architecture of the new machines and for some ppl its something that they just can't accept or wrap their heads around.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Yes. I installed had for PC the other day by accident on my data hard drive and played. Noticed the mistake and reinstalled it on my dad.

Night and day

lingpanda

Putting an SSD in my Xbox one X now makes me sad I didn't do it sooner. The load times and the texture loading is a significant difference. With the new consoles I'm sure things will get even better.

Another reason the ssd is good that it can send data much faster to the main ram to so in sony approach it has 16gig maybe 1 gig or 2 is only used and that provides u with 14gig for the games. Another big advantage to can handle much larger data aswell in which if developers wanted to can create a good world say at 1440p or 1800p running a much higher quality assets from 4k to 8k possible 16k at 1080p who knows

VFXVeteran

Banned
I dunno how the other guy still talks after swallowing this whole crow so violently. Saying NYC would be more detailed on a flight sim than on Spider-Man or a GTA city. Delusional fanboy.

If you think this:

Doesn't look better than your PS4 spiderman game (or any game for that matter). You are the one that's a delusional fanboy.

PS5 couldn't even run FS2020 with PC settings. SSD or not. You have no idea how much data is being rendered there with that draw distance and that lighting and shading on all of that geometry using photogrammetry. COMPLETELY accurate individual geometry! NO instancing!

Last edited:

sendit

If you think this:

Doesn't look better than your PS4 spiderman game (or any game for that matter). You are the one that's a delusional fanboy.

PS5 couldn't even run FS2020 with PC settings. SSD or not. You have no idea how much data is being rendered there with that draw distance and that lighting and shading on all of that geometry using photogrammetry. COMPLETELY accurate individual geometry! NO instancing!

FS2020 is impressive for what it does. And that is simulating a flying experience. World detail goes out the window once you get close to a object, which is understandable as the detail from a distance is relatively "good enough". It's pointless comparing this game to Spiderman or any game for the matter that isn't slightly in the same genre.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Which tells me that the Xbox SSD drive can provide the same thing I explained above for the PS5 (not on the same level of course because the SSD provided in the PS5 is, simply put, faster).
Yeah anyone thinking that the PS5 SSD is going to let devs do things that they can't do on the XSX is going to be sadly mistaken.

They're both ultra fast drives, both with more than enough speed to do anything developers will want to do with room to spare. The only reason the PS5 one is being talked up so much by a certain subset of people is because it's literally the only thing that they can try and wave over the xbox peoples heads.

Amiga

I/O
I/O
I/O

SSD

it's the combination of the I/O system with the SSD.

it's much more than load times, full utilization of the PS5 architecture should:

- eliminate pop-in
- increase texture quality.
- frees up RAM as less data would need to be pre-loaded.
- dedicated audio and decompression hardware gives the CPU extra threads to work with.

Boglin

Yeah anyone thinking that the PS5 SSD is going to let devs do things that they can't do on the XSX is going to be sadly mistaken.

They're both ultra fast drives, both with more than enough speed to do anything developers will want to do with room to spare. The only reason the PS5 one is being talked up so much by a certain subset of people is because it's literally the only thing that they can try and wave over the xbox peoples heads.

I'll ask you what I asked earlier in the thread.

Why do you think Sony gave up valuable die space for storage customizations that could have been used for more CUs when a more standard SSD would have cost less? By doing so they knowingly and willingly lost multiple teraflops of performance and ended up spending more money for a SSD with a smaller total amount of storage than the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom