• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is There Any Fanservice In Western Games For Straight Men Anymore?

The genre of art. Video games as a medium are sometimes limited by juvenile tropes.
I didn't know art was a genre. But I do know that art has a looooooooooooooooong history of thousands of years where attractive (wo)men were depicted in carvings, statues, paintings etc. so people could enjoy them. I'm sure I don't have to post examples here. I also know tropes and clichés exist because people enjoy them. There's nothing juvenile about that.

Seems to me you just have a very particular and extreme view of what games should be and represent and cause, and it sounds kinda unhealthy. Things can and should exist that you personally don't like.

I don't, however, over representing something so base weakens writing and the overall quality of games.
over represented? What would you consider to be over represented? No one here is asking for all or even most games to be heavy in sexual content. And sexual content doesn't in any way weaken writing or quality of media.

BTW a DLC sexy outfit, I mean like what's the problem with that? IT IS ONLY AN OPTION none that doesn't want has to look at it or play with it. Such a minor scope, for those that actually want it. What's the problem of there being options for those whose thought, opinions, likes differ, from you? That's the BIGGEST problem of the left appeal to diversity of skin tones but not to diversity of thought. Why african conservatives are punched and made fun of by many in the left, because only the outside matters, NO TOLERANCE for diversity of character, of mind, of opinion.
What is an "incident for male gaze".... like... wtf is this? Do you want a sharia type of society? Should we all put videogame characters in burqas? Men are hardwired to find pleasure on looking at women. It's not rocket science. Get over it.

Also... what is wrong with big breasts? Should devs only create characters with small breasts? This is nonsense.
It is the sexual insecurities of some. Fundamentally aside from the innate drives it elicits, there's no objective difference between big boobs or long hair. It'd be like saying there's too many women with long hair or with short hair in media. If hair was a sign of sexual nature, like it could be in some other planet with human like species, they could look at our media and be highly offended, it is all subjective.

I mean I've tried to watch some movies with family and friends and some of the jokes in the movies are highly sexual(cough deadpool, kick-ass, iboy, cough). Deadpool gets a pass because he's deadpool, but kick-ass and iboy? Should those not be made? That would be ridiculous. So long as content is properly categorized, there shouldn't be censorship.

Last edited:

Mahadev

Not at all! Being sexy is great but I can't put it in a position of so much importance when playing a game. At least for me, this is not something that concerns me every time a play a game.

Someone above answered me saying this is a dumb question because "people just like it, as they enjoy pizzas with pineapple", but I think that this answer is, in fact, a dumb comparison. Sexuality involves so much more than that.

As a man, I really like seeing Chun-Li's muscled legs, or Cammy almost naked in every game (and like it or not, it became classic so changing it may sound strange for some old folks like me), but I've always tried to think by someone else's mind and I completely understand that this 'sexualization' of a character may sound a little too much for some people (specially women).

You know, everybody got wet when first saw "Bearded Ryu" and it turn out fine because it didn't bother enough people. I think it's all a matter of how much it will affect other players experience.

Put some clothes on a videogame character it will never turn the game less entertainment. It will please people who may feel uncomfortable and it won't change your experience. At least it shouldn't.

Aren't you proving your own point wrong here? You admit men weren't bothered by bearded Ryu because obviously they don't have a dumb dogmatic ideology telling them that they're victims if that kind of male character is in a videogame but at the same time you expect me to feel empathy for dumb-dumbs with double standards that pretend to be victims because of.... a sexy videogame character?

If you're so indiscriminately feeling empathy for every person's ridiculous concerns then why don't you do the same for Scientologists or anti-vaxxers? Shouldn't you understand the pain Scientologists feel and support their disdain for psychology or support the ban of vaccines because ani-vaxxers think they're poison? Shouldn't you be pro-Burqa because some fundie Muslims find women without them disgusting and offensive?

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Im not a big fan since it just comes off a bit cringy

"Cringy"

Is it a confidence issue? Are you intimidated by sex? Does going to a strip club make you uncomfortable?

I don't understand why any normal person would feel "cringe" over sex appeal. It sounds very unhealthy to hear someone say that. It reeks of sexual repression.

It will please people who may feel uncomfortable

People who feel uncomfortable can fuck off. Fucking off is their prerogative, it is not the game creator's prerogative to please them.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
"Cringy"

Is it a confidence issue? Are you intimidated by sex? Does going to a strip club make you uncomfortable?

I don't understand why any normal person would feel "cringe" over sex appeal. It sounds very unhealthy to hear someone say that. It reeks of sexual repression.
Is there anything that doesn't makes people "cringe" these days?

CatCouch

Not at all! Being sexy is great but I can't put it in a position of so much importance when playing a game. At least for me, this is not something that concerns me every time a play a game.

Someone above answered me saying this is a dumb question because "people just like it, as they enjoy pizzas with pineapple", but I think that this answer is, in fact, a dumb comparison. Sexuality involves so much more than that.

As a man, I really like seeing Chun-Li's muscled legs, or Cammy almost naked in every game (and like it or not, it became classic so changing it may sound strange for some old folks like me), but I've always tried to think by someone else's mind and I completely understand that this 'sexualization' of a character may sound a little too much for some people (specially women).

You know, everybody got wet when first saw "Bearded Ryu" and it turn out fine because it didn't bother enough people. I think it's all a matter of how much it will affect other players experience.

Put some clothes on a videogame character it will never turn the game less entertainment. It will please people who may feel uncomfortable and it won't change your experience. At least it shouldn't.
It absolutely will affect my enjoyment. How can you say that censoring a game will help people who don't like it but then tell people like me it shouldn't effect my experience? I buy games heavily for sexy art as I work as an artist creating sexy and erotic art. Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean it has no value and can be safely removed. Apply that argument to me and it destroys my art.

You have to remember that people become artists to create this art and asking for it to be removed as if it's nothing is a great insult to those who have put years of their life into learning to create it so they can express themselves.

Vulkar59

over represented? What would you consider to be over represented? No one here is asking for all or even most games to be heavy in sexual content. And sexual content doesn't in any way weaken writing or quality of media.

BTW a DLC sexy outfit, I mean like what's the problem with that? IT IS ONLY AN OPTION none that doesn't want has to look at it or play with it. Such a minor scope, for those that actually want it. What's the problem of there being options for those whose thought, opinions, likes differ, from you? That's the BIGGEST problem of the left appeal to diversity of skin tones but not to diversity of thought. Why african conservatives are punched and made fun of by many in the left, because only the outside matters, NO TOLERANCE for diversity of character, of mind, of opinion.

It is the sexual insecurities of some. Fundamentally aside from the innate drives it elicits, there's no objective difference between big boobs or long hair. It'd be like saying there's too many women with long hair or with short hair in media. If hair was a sign of sexual nature, like it could be in some other planet with human like species, they could look at our media and be highly offended, it is all subjective.

I mean I've tried to watch some movies with family and friends and some of the jokes in the movies are highly sexual(cough deadpool, kick-ass, iboy, cough). Deadpool gets a pass because he's deadpool, but kick-ass and iboy? Should those not be made? That would be ridiculous. So long as content is properly categorized, there shouldn't be censorship.

Its tacky, lazy and juvenile. Nothing more lame than needing the characters to dress up in sexy outfits. The real issue is the tonal shift its inclusion in games. Metal Gear goes from talking about war and genocide to gratuitous peep shots. Western devs aren't better in that regard. Everything has a place, but a game with women in skimpy armor isn't the hallmark of the industry.

JordanN

Banned
The genre of art. Video games as a medium are sometimes limited by juvenile tropes.
That seems unfair to pin juvenile tropes exclusively on games.

Does the existence of joke books means Shakesphere is not art?
How about the HUNDREDS of parody/satrical movies? Does that mean the likes of Casablanca or the Wizard of Oz are tainted?

Juvenile games exist, but then there are games that are clearly not juvenile.

Vulkar59

I didn't know art was a genre. But I do know that art has a looooooooooooooooong history of thousands of years where attractive (wo)men were depicted in carvings, statues, paintings etc. so people could enjoy them. I'm sure I don't have to post examples here. I also know tropes and clichés exist because people enjoy them. There's nothing juvenile about that.

Seems to me you just have a very particular and extreme view of what games should be and represent and cause, and it sounds kinda unhealthy. Things can and should exist that you personally don't like.

As a gay person, Im not calling for male nudity to be on display. Nothing "unhealthy" about me having my opinions. Just seems a really small problem for straight people to be complaining because the way Ivy in Soul Caliber looks isn't as common place in games as it once was.

Vulkar59

That seems unfair to pin juvenile tropes exclusively on games.

Does the existence of joke books means Shakesphere is not art?
How about the HUNDREDS of parody/satrical movies? Does that mean the likes of Casablanca or the Wizard of Oz are tainted?

Juvenile games exist, but then there are games that are clearly not juvenile.

There is a much higher cost and threshold to video game production and it still is a field that is proving itself. Neither of which is an issue literature has.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
As a gay person, Im not calling for male nudity to be on display. Nothing "unhealthy" about me having my opinions. Just seems a really small problem for straight people to be complaining because the way Ivy in Soul Caliber looks isn't as common place in games as it once was.

So say it you wish to remove options for straight males and you would be happy if it did.

Seriously, straight people never tried to take your options away, why persons of your sexual orientation can't extent the same decency?

Vulkar59

Thanks for the compliment, but how do you know what I was thinking was classy?

I was thinking of some really lame stuff.

I guess aversion to anatomy grants the power of clairvoyance. Sort of like how a 30-year-old virgin gains Wizard status.

Why are you being needlessly combative?

JordanN

Banned
There is a much higher cost and threshold to video game production and it still is a field that is proving itself. Neither of which is an issue literature has.
What does cost have to do with something being art?

One of the most well renowned film makers came from Communist Russia (Andrei Tarkosky). They never had the same amount of money as Hollywood did to produce expensive blockbusters.

And what is there to prove? I'm saying, not all video games are juvenile. Picking on the ones that are, is like saying books are juvenile because I can pick up any Joke Book at the store.

Last edited:

Danjin44

How you being gay has anything with any of this? Whatever your sexuality is you either like Sexy design or you don't. If don't thats fine, people have different preferences but there nothing "wrong" for liking sexy character designs in your games. These days we have games for every taste you could simply don't play game with features sexy character and buy games with none sexy design. "play what you like" it simple concept but no, people don't like something it needs to fucking disappear completely.

Last edited:

Vulkar59

So say it you wish to remove options for straight males and you would be happy if it did.

Seriously, straight people never tried to take your options away, why persons of your sexual orientation can't extent the same decency?

One, I didn't say that nor do I feel that way. Two, are you forgetting the outcry about the lesbian scene in Mass Effect. Gay erasure has been a hallmark of all types of media till literally today. There is a reason the "bury your gays" trope exists. The nature of this thread was specifically framed as straight men aren't getting things anymore. Which is an idiotic, myopic and ignorant statement to make.

Opinions that certain kinds of content, that have existed for a long time in other forms of media as well, are holding back a medium is unhealthy, and sorry, just plain stupid.

Also, you don't get to decide if an issue is too small to be complaining about or no.

Vulkar59

Oh, you are a preachy teetotaler raging against the evils of alcohol because you don't like it. I get it now.

Not my fault boobs are disgusting. s/

Whats the point of a discussion board if everyone is shocked at someone sharing a differing opinion?

Vulkar59

Opinions that certain kinds of content, that have existed for a long time in other forms of media as well, are holding back a medium is unhealthy, and sorry, just plain stupid.

Also, you don't get to decide if an issue is too small to be complaining about or no.

I literally do, that's what a viewpoint is.

Vulkar59

How you being gay has anything with any of this? Whatever your sexuality is you either like Sexy design or you don't. If don't thats fine, people have different preferences but there nothing "wrong" for liking sexy character designs in your games. These days we have games for every taste you could simply don't play game with features sexy character and buy games with none sexy design. "play what you like" it simple concept but no, people don't like something it needs to fucking disappear completely.

Sexuality matters only because that's what the initially thread topic is about.

Vulkar59

Why are you being needlessly censorial?

Because boobs (or pick your body art) in games is lame and allow people to not take the medium seriously. Sensuality is much more nuanced and rarely exists in games because the same effect can be achieved with a misportpoationed anime girl.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Not my fault boobs are disgusting. s/

Whats the point of a discussion board if everyone is shocked at someone sharing a differing opinion?

Never met a gay man who didn't like boobs. Men and women, gay or straight like boobs. Everyone likes boobs, because boobs are fabulous. I think you are trolling at this point.

Last edited:

Greedings

At least Japanese games are a veritable cum closet of sexiness.

Just look at Nier.

maxresdefault.jpg

Danjin44

Sexuality matters only because that's what the initially thread topic is about.
To me it doesn't matter. Gay, woman and man or any sexuality, you still can like sexy design male of female. There are straight woman out there who cosplay as character like 2B because they simply like the design.
there is no such thing as "straight men". They're just boys who haven't grown up yet.
So your idea "grown up" is to hate sexy design!!?

Last edited:

Vulkar59

To me it doesn't matter. Gay, woman and man or any sexuality, you still can like sexy design male of female. There are straight woman out there who cosplay as character like 2B because they simply like the design.

Its literally the question posed by the thread. Thats the context.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Because boobs (or pick your body art) in games is lame
Your opinion on lameness doesn't necessitate censorship.

and allow people to not take the medium seriously.
Even if every instance of "lame" sex appeal was scrubbed entirely from videogaming, there are numerous other facets of videogaming that might allow people to not take the medium seriously.

Also, what is the moral imperative for "taking the medium seriously"? It's art and entertainment. You can be as serious or silly as you please.

Sensuality is much more nuanced and rarely exists in games because the same effect can be achieved with a misportpoationed anime girl.
What is the definition of "sensuality" as compared to yucky "sexuality"? Can you define it for the rest of us, or do artists need to ask your permission each time they want to create something? Please be comprehensive because I wouldn't want to offend your sensibilities.

I literally do, that's what a viewpoint is.
If you think it's so unimportant, why the fuck would you ever enter a thread that was made specifically to talk about these things?
Just because you want to tell people so badly you think they're wrong? Because you're certainly not engaging with other members.

Mihos

Gold Member

So your idea "grown up" is to hate sexy design!!?

There are also wives that will dress up as 2B because there husband thinks that's kind of hot. My uh, friend told me that.

Vulkar59

Your opinion on lameness doesn't necessitate censorship.

Even if every instance of "lame" sex appeal was scrubbed entirely from videogaming, there are numerous other facets of videogaming that might allow people to not take the medium seriously.

Also, what is the moral imperative for "taking the medium seriously"? It's art and entertainment. You can be as serious or silly as you please.

What is the definition of "sensuality" as compared to yucky "sexuality"? Can you define it for the rest of us, or do artists need to ask your permission each time they want to create something? Please be comprehensive because I wouldn't want to offend your sensibilities.

Dude, you're awful. Don't ask for my opinion if your just going to pedantically misconstrue it and then e a jerk after.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
V Vulkar59 Out of curiosity, if you think sexuality holds things (in this case games) back, how do you feel about all the sexuality in the gay community, through literature, film, clubs, etc., especially Pride Parades? Do you think it holds the community and movement back?

It is a very sexually charged, and exploitive community/movement. Yet I see no issues with it regressing anytime soon.

Last edited:

Vulkar59

Making widespread generalizations devoid of substantial evidence. Do better.
If you think it's so unimportant, why the fuck would you ever enter a thread that was made specifically to talk about these things?
Just because you want to tell people so badly you think they're wrong? Because you're certainly not engaging with other members.

Because straight men are terrible and the less impact they can have on culture the better. The entitlement of this threads posed question and of the people in it is staggering. If there isnt enough ass and tits for neckbeards to mash themselves to, it warrants an outcry.

CatCouch

Because boobs (or pick your body art) in games is lame and allow people to not take the medium seriously. Sensuality is much more nuanced and rarely exists in games because the same effect can be achieved with a misportpoationed anime girl.
I'd love to see more games tackle gay romance and themes with sensuality but that doesn't mean wiping out art you personally don't care about. We really need to drop this idea that the existence of something one doesn't like damages the whole industry (in this case, fan service). It's an instantly self-defeating argument. you have to tolerate other people's interests if you want people to tolerate yours.

CatCouch

Because straight men are terrible and the less impact they can have on culture the better. The entitlement of this threads posed question and of the people in it is staggering. If there isnt enough ass and tits for neckbeards to mash themselves to, it warrants an outcry.
What? C'mon. Don't be like that.

Vulkar59

V Vulkar59 Out of curiosity, if you think sexuality holds things (in this case games) back, how do you feel about all the sexuality in the gay community, through literature, film, clubs, etc., especially Pride Parades? Do you think it holds the community and movement back?

It is a very sexually charged, and exploitive community/movement. Yet I see no issues with it regressing anytime soon.

Its a big issue within the gay community but stems out of repression and the mistaken idea that the only difference between gay and straight people is sex and who they have sex with.
I'd love to see more games tackle gay romance and themes with sensuality but that doesn't mean wiping out art you personally don't care about. We really need to drop this idea that the existence of something one doesn't like damages the whole industry (in this case, fan service). It's an instantly self-defeating argument. you have to tolerate other people's interests if you want people to tolerate yours.

I 100% agree but I resent the nature of this thread.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Dude, you're awful. Don't ask for my opinion if your just going to pedantically misconstrue it and then e a jerk after.
You offered your opinion openly. I never asked you to post in the thread, but I apologize if you genuinely think I am being a jerk.

Sometimes the best way to discuss a topic is to point out flaws in the other person's perspective. Nothing is stopping you from offering counterpoints or nuance to your statements, and I expect other GAFers to point out flaws in my opinions whenever they can find them. It's why I'm here. It's a discussion forum, after all.

What's the point of a message board if you're just going to be shocked at someone sharing different opinions?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its a big issue within the gay community but stems out of repression and the mistaken idea that the only difference between gay and straight people is sex and who they have sex with.

That did not answer my question. I asked if you have issue with it.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
One, I didn't say that nor do I feel that way. Two, are you forgetting the outcry about the lesbian scene in Mass Effect. Gay erasure has been a hallmark of all types of media till literally today. There is a reason the "bury your gays" trope exists. The nature of this thread was specifically framed as straight men aren't getting things anymore. Which is an idiotic, myopic and ignorant statement to make.

Mass Effect outcry came WELL after the SJW and liberal outcry that demonized anything remotely sexual and appealing to straight males in gaming, the fake terms "male empowerment", "male white fantasy", "objectification", and "titilation" came to gaming for this exact same reason; to shame straight males into submission of what the SJWs and the liberal media journalists wished to censor in gaming.

And we see those results today in this year, with the blantant censorship.

Remember R. Mika's censored buttslap in SFV?

Remember Urien's stripping to his speedos in SFV?

Only one of them got censored.

there is no such thing as "straight men". They're just boys who haven't grown up yet.

So, your idea of "growing up" is being ourageously offended...nay TRIGGERED by...polygons?

Vulkar59

That did not answer my question. I asked if you have issue with it.

I did, I do think its a big issues. The current vapid hookup culture in the gay community is caused by that. The superficiality of that leads to less than last connections between gay individuals.

Vulkar59

Mass Effect outcry came WELL after the SJW and liberal outcry that demonized anything remotely sexual and appealing to straight males in gaming, the fake terms "male empowerment", "male white fantasy", "objectification", and "titilation" came to gaming for this exact same reason; to shame straight males into submission of what the SJWs and the liberal media journalists wished to censor in gaming.

So, your idea of "growing up" is being ourageously offended...nay TRIGGERED by...polygons?

Thats a lot of spewed talking points. I wish your conspiracy theory was real though. Anyone who uses terms like "triggered" or "SJW" deserves no credence or respect.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I did, I do think its a big issues. The current vapid hookup culture in the gay community is caused by that. The superficiality of that leads to less than last connections between gay individuals.

That is something I think all communities can agree with, and are starting to suffer from.

I had to give up my cum closet after it got pregnant, and it wasn’t mine.

Baby don't look like me!

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Thats a lot of spewed talking points. I wish your conspiracy theory was real though. Anyone who uses terms like "triggered" or "SJW" deserves no credence or respect.

So using the word that your kind of people had used to identify themselves makes me unworthy of credence or respect, gotcha.

Pretend it does not exist does not make it go away, jus' sayin'.

KINDERFELD

Banned

I'm saying most males who believe that their sexuality is set in stone have not grown up yet to realize that it isn't.

Top Bottom