• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the first pic of a coverless PS5? (140mm fan possibly)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Reddit
cockteasing - rumoured to be from one fo the Japanese youtubers for this weekends event.

z6VVpH2.jpg

Dr Bass

Black section certainly looks like PS5 shape to me. Look at the curve at the top. Then that bottom silver area looks like it could be the disc drive. Or it could be not it at all, but I don't know what else it would be.

LordOfChaos

How big was the Pros fan for comparison?

On a quick search it doesn't appear that much bigger (7000 series Pro on the right). Definitely not nearly 140mm. Not sure why people think that's small.

maxresdefault.jpg

Surely the fan can't be that small?

140mm is a moderately sized PC case fan, pretty big for a console so far...It probably just appears tiny because the PS5 is also colossal generally and the top cover is closer.

140mm-Case-Fans.jpg

Last edited:

Concern

Sony bout to blacklist this guy lol. Im pretty sure they didn't send to any popular youtubers to avoid things like this.

Dr Bass

LOL. All the nonsense about the PS5 being enormous for cooling purposes... and the fan looks to be roughly 120mm. This thing is going to be LOUD.

Meanwhile... Xbox Series X is the quietist Xbox I've ever tested...

If it's a 120mm fan it doesn't have to be loud at all. As I'm sure you are aware that depends on the RPMs it needs to reach. The One X fan was smaller than 120 as noted in this very thread and that machine isn't very noisy.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

LOL. All the nonsense about the PS5 being enormous for cooling purposes... and the fan looks to be roughly 120mm. This thing is going to be LOUD.

Meanwhile... Xbox Series X is the quietist Xbox I've ever tested...

What if I told you, the Series X has a 130mm fan....If that's the quietest console tested so far, this bodes well for both!

Man...Few are familiar with PC fan sizes in this thread eh. Or millimeters. Both are dramatically bigger fans than last gen and that's great.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

If that's a 140mm fan (in scale with the rest of the unit), the PS5 is going to need to sit on your dining table. No TV stand deep enough I'm afraid. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You can get a near silent 80mm from Noctua these days that can move a good amount of air, if there are multiple fans in there,. small fans won't be as bad as it sounds. So long as they all match pitch exactly with each other.

TLZ

Banned
That looks like a big fan, considering how big the PS5 is. Also, this looks like it has a massive heatsink?

LordOfChaos

If that's a 140mm fan (in scale with the rest of the unit), the PS5 is going to need to sit on your dining table. No TV stand deep enough I'm afraid. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You can get a near silent 80mm from Noctua these days that can move a good amount of air, if there are multiple fans in there,. small fans won't be as bad as it sounds. So long as they all match pitch exactly with each other.

You want them to not match pitch actually, as that creates harmonics and we hear spikes in the same frequency range better than noises spread across the spectrum. It's the idea behind variably spaced fan blades, and GPU fans that stay in slightly different RPMs than each other. I'm not sure the 80mm quiet fan is comparable as this design will want the fan to push air sideways and out, the Noctua PC fans are to blow air forward.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That looks like a big fan, considering how big the PS5 is. Also, this looks like it has a massive heatsink?

I did just notice that the entire width of the PS5 appears to be shown there, so it probably isn't as small as I thought. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: TLZ

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Yeah it’s ugly.
And these little spikes to attach them to the consoles don’t inspire confidence.

It does look really....cheap? Like a cheap piece of plastic but this leads me to believe they're gonna start selling swappable face plates.

Concern

Dudes trying to make money on this lol...Not sure if that makes this more likely faked, or if someone just risked breaking their NDA to grab a buck.

GgQ90EW.jpeg

Hard to say. People are quite stupid enough to break nda for 15 seconds of fame. Then again it could be fake too lol.

Im just waiting on Sony's reaction to this 🤣🤣.

DaGwaphics

You want them to not match pitch actually, as that creates harmonics and we hear spikes in the same frequency range better than noises spread across the spectrum. It's the idea behind variably spaced fan blades, and GPU fans that stay in slightly different RPMs than each other. I'm not sure the 80mm quiet fan is comparable as this design will want the fan to push air sideways and out, the Noctua PC fans are to blow air forward.

I've never heard that before. They used to say that any number of identical fans stacked together would only increase total DB by about 10%, but mismatched fans with different sound profiles would increase noise a lot more.

jaysius

Banned
The bulge on that thing in the background could be the disk drive.

Another "we didn't do R&D for user comfort" GIVE US MONEY, shit show from Sony, possibly.

I find it hard to trust that Sony changed it's ways with aural ergonomics for the PS5, the worse thing is, once you get the thing home, it might be quiet... for a 5-6 months, then WUUUUUUUURRRRRR during quiet scenes of games.

OP of that reddit post also posted a picture of the stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom