• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the first pic of a coverless PS5? (140mm fan possibly)

jaysius

Banned
Should of gotten that pulse headset, dawg!!!

Shitty over priced headphones don't help too much, they're not that isolated. At least you didn't say Beats? I dunno I think Beats are probably better :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good apology for Sony though.

If you want to use headphone use better than that awful Playstation line.

EDIT: I think I got "wooshed" good joke though!

Last edited:
Ohhh boy
I will wait until a proper teardown but if that’s a blower design like the other consoles you can say goodbye to this thing being quiet after a few months of use

and to those pc comparisons.....PCs are not as close packed as a console and have much more freedom of airflow

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Shitty over priced headphones don't help too much, they're not that isolated. At least you didn't say Beats? I dunno I think Beats are probably better :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good apology for Sony though.

If you want to use headphone use better than that awful Playstation line.

EDIT: I think I got "wooshed" good joke though!

That's why you don't jump the gun with the console warring, meng. Do better.

DbgFKmb.gif

Last edited:
So are the first teardowns going to be via these youtubers, or was it just this one guy violating NDA? Are we still getting an official one? If these guys can look inside it would be kinda late, but more likely he just seriously broke NDA

I don't know if this was the guy who posted pics in that reddit thread. But I seriously doubt there will be a teardown. I expect it will just be a lot of zany Japanese shouting and watching some guy play Astrobot.

LordOfChaos

You can color me surprised if this guy does a teardown.

I don't know if this was the guy who posted pics in that reddit thread. But I seriously doubt there will be a teardown. I expect it will just be a lot of zany Japanese shouting and watching some guy play Astrobot.

Yeah no, I meant was anyone else allowed to do a teardown with the hands on for the 4th, or did the different guy in the OP just completely break the rules. No connection between the disassembly in the OP and video posted.

If they can look inside, seems kinda late for a first party one to still happen, was wondering if this was how they do it. But most likely, the guy in the OP just completely broke NDA

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

Yeah no, I meant was anyone else allowed to do a teardown with the hands on for the 4th, or did the different guy in the OP just completely break the rules

If they can look inside, seems kinda late for a first party one to still happen, was wondering if this was how they do it. But most likely, the guy in the OP just completely broke NDA
Oh, yeah.

On the list of people that they are giving it to this weekend, I really don't count on any of them doing a tear down like the OP had, most of the people they are giving it to are mainly let's players/entertainers so you can expect to hear 凄い(sugoi)! about 100 times from each of them.

Pretty sure you are correct saying he broke an NDA. I really would like a teardown like how digital foundry has done with the XSX.

I just love how transparent Sony has been with the PS5. They even gave us a diagram of the internals:

inside_the_xbox_series_x_t.jpg

This way we have a clear picture before our $500 purchase in about 5 weeks. Oh wait...

It’s hard to take you seriously. Your account seems dedicated to warring.

who gives a fuck about the insides of a console. Was it done for the ps1 ps2 Xbox Xbox 360 and ps3? Can’t recall it was. It’s almost like one company hasn’t got the most important thing to tweet about (games) so they peddle pointless shit for the fan boys war over.

Great Hair

Banned
going with fake, does not convince me. there´s no space left for the fan to move the hot air, how small is it? There are pieces missing (kensington lock shape). There´s major height difference between that metal shield and the fan .. all wasted volume.

It’s hard to take you seriously. Your account seems dedicated to warring.

who gives a fuck about the insides of a console. Was it done for the ps1 ps2 Xbox Xbox 360 and ps3? Can’t recall it was. It’s almost like one company hasn’t got the most important thing to tweet about (games) so they peddle pointless shit for the fan boys war over.
You must like trying to game while a hair salon operates next to your tv

noisy consoles are annoying as fuck and Sony absolutely sucked in the design of the ps4 through multiple versions of it

the fact that this thing is going to be the largest console ever and potentially has the same shitty blower designs that have followed the ps designs for years are going to sound alarm bells

noisy consoles are a big deal to many and the insides are the biggest clue to of Sony has made a well designed console or a rush to the finish line again like they did to the ps4

LordOfChaos

going with fake, does not convince me. there´s no space left for the fan to move the hot air, how small is it? There are pieces missing (kensington lock shape). There´s major height difference between that metal shield and the fan .. all wasted volume.

I thought that was just the heatsink cowling in black, not the back of the console, and the fan would be towards the front top in vertical mode where the console widens into intakes

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This is what happens when you starve people of information about your console and take a strategy of not being transparent with your hardware -- douchebags who get the box early tear it apart clumsily, make it look like shit, and get negativity surrounding the console.

I personally think MS's strategy has been way better and instills WAY more confidence -- Give it to a bunch of people early and let it all sink in and the hype circulate.

nbcjr

Apple explains the difference well here and has used this for years, Nvidia even used the concept for Ampere and keeps its fans at different RPMs. The total decibels might be louder, but how you hear it is quieter, since you can hear one loud sound in one frequency range better than a spread of all frequencies.

bring back old apple

BrentonB

Sony are well aware of PS4's fan noise issue. That's why they specifically mentioned it in their Road to PS5 presentation. They outlined the steps they took to mitigate the issue in that presentation as well. It will be quiet.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where is the power button on the PS5?

Good question. Maybe something lights up below the USBs when plugged in with touch sensitive like on their soundbars.

Edit: saw new pics, it has buttons (power / eject) on the front.

Last edited:

lachesis

Maybe top half are some elaborate cooling system, and all the PCBs etc are on the bottom half of the system?
No matter how I look at it, it's an interesting machine - in a good way, and also an convoluted way too.

As much as I am a gamer, I am also interested in how things work inside... so I'm looking forward how things are laid out inside... I don't think we'll see anything before launch, until somebody decides to take things apart post launch...

Yeah it’s ugly.
And these little spikes to attach them to the consoles don’t inspire confidence.

Yeah looks like they’re just begging to be snapped right off. I can’t stand the focus on these cheap plastic parts, just put in some screws and let people open them more easily when they need to.

This is what happens when you starve people of information about your console and take a strategy of not being transparent with your hardware -- douchebags who get the box early tear it apart clumsily, make it look like shit, and get negativity surrounding the console.

I personally think MS's strategy has been way better and instills WAY more confidence -- Give it to a bunch of people early and let it all sink in and the hype circulate.

I hear you, I’m sure Sony pr ninjas are watching things closely while keeping their cards close to their chests

Orky

Banned
Source: Reddit
cockteasing - rumoured to be from one fo the Japanese youtubers for this weekends event.

z6VVpH2.jpg
I don’t think the Japanese youtubers will be allowed to teardown the console and show the inner workings. Don’t get your hopes up seating a teardown from them, but Sony themselves will do one for sure.

Thank Cerny that it gives you a workout oldtimer. Huehue.

Topic: I really want that teardown already. Also lol @ people saying the Xbox is quieter. How do you come to that conclusion? We didn't hear the PS5 yet. Hopefully both are quiet.
There did not seem to be much noise in that PS5 boot video.

Top Bottom