• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the first pic of a coverless PS5? (140mm fan possibly)

LordOfChaos

I've never heard that before. They used to say that any number of identical fans stacked together would only increase total DB by about 10%, but mismatched fans with different sound profiles would increase noise a lot more.

Apple explains the difference well here and has used this for years, Nvidia even used the concept for Ampere and keeps its fans at different RPMs. The total decibels might be louder, but how you hear it is quieter, since you can hear one loud sound in one frequency range better than a spread of all frequencies.

G-Bus

Banned
Given the amount of attention the jet engine of a ps4 has had in recent years I'm sure Sony is well aware. Doubt they'll make the same mistake this go around.

LordOfChaos

The dev kit had 6 fans and a vapor chamber. Can’t imagine the official unit has only one small fan.

140mm is big for a fan, folks! See my posts on the first page, check a ruler, check PC case fan sizes lol. The Series X has a 130mm fan, or if these are estimates they're at least about the same. Keep in mind there's a giant mound of white plastic near to the camera and a bit of the PS5's insides further from the camera on the desk, it might look small but is likely large.

The PS4 had an 85mm fan...I'm encouraged that this is going to be vastly better, not sure why everyone thinks this is small. 130-140mm are afaik the biggest fans consoles have ever had...Should be a quiet generation unless someone fucked something up.

Last edited:
Source: Reddit
cockteasing - rumoured to be from one fo the Japanese youtubers for this weekends event.

z6VVpH2.jpg

In the old days cock teasing meant something else.

Last edited:
Removable face plates. Well there it is guys. There’s your black console. Third party companies are going to make a killing on the ps5. Faceplates will be the new face mask. Everyone is going to be making and selling them.

Will probably be the first thing I buy for my PS5!

LOL. All the nonsense about the PS5 being enormous for cooling purposes... and the fan looks to be roughly 120mm. This thing is going to be LOUD.

Meanwhile... Xbox Series X is the quietist Xbox I've ever tested...

"This thing is quiet. It’s almost inaudible when it’s idle"

How it can be the quietest if it is much louder than xbox one?

Explain.

Because for years I have read this "lol my Xbox is silent, cant hear it while gaming"

And if series x is audible on idle = either xbox gamers are liars, this dude is a liar or it is louder on idle than xbox one on games.

Many have said that xsex is audible, so I guess logical conclusion is that it is louder than one.

PS5 fan looks big so it is probably much quieter than ps4, which isnt hard to archieve to be honest. But I trust in Cerny

Last edited:

Concern

Highly doubt it's "just" that fan. Surely there's more or that thing would overheat like a mofo. Also, lol at this thread miraculously becoming another Xbox Vs Playstation thing. Come on y'all, Jesus. Lol.

Notice even these new guys sign up just to war lmao. I've read plenty of back and forth here before joining already. But this is gold 🤣🤣.

angrod14

Uglier than a car underneath. This leaks aren't doing the controversial design any favors. Sony should make an unboxing of the console through their official YT channel ASAP.

DaGwaphics

Can someone compare the size of the Keyboard with the size of the fan to have a great comparison?

I think the overall size of the PS5 is a good enough indicator. Once you realize that almost the entire PS5 is being shown there, the fan looks 120mm or 140mm. I think many, myself included at first, were looking at it like the PS5 was running the opposite direction and partially obscured. Then it looks small, but once you see it right, it is a large fan. LOL

Dr Bass

The fan might be big but isn’t it a terrible idea to have it so enclosed like that and facing a side plate ?

Big or not, it will be louder than Xbox again and it’s overall shape is tighter in space with slimmer approach doesn’t instil much confidence either.

Unless they are putting a big fat heat sink on it. Wasn't there talk of a more expensive than usual cooling solution?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The fan might be big but isn’t it a terrible idea to have it so enclosed like that and facing a side plate ?

Big or not, it will be louder than Xbox again and it’s overall shape is tighter in space with slimmer approach doesn’t instil much confidence either.

That's what the giant ass Kaiba shirt fins at the top and the intakes under them would be for, I'm imagining closest to there is where this is going. The design makes sure you can't block the intake without effort. The side panel doesn't impede the fan since it's a side blower.

captura-de-pantalla-2020-06-11-a-las-16-12-54.png

Last edited:
"Now that's what I cll 3D/Positional audio. You hear sound from tv/headphones, as well as the console, from the comfort of your couch. Coming to a room near you, call now now within the next 5 minutes to get not one, but 2 additional stands for that spacious console."

~Jim Ryan~

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

You would of thought it would be really good esp after that road to PlayStation were Cerny saidthe ps4 was to loud and that people would be very happy with the solution they found.

sircaw

Banned
What is it even supposed to be?
An alt version? Or some prototype version?
I don't get it.

Maybe some test pieces with some features disabled.

I mean how much are they going to let these people see or play, are there restrictions on things, will we be able to see the whole of the Astro game from start to finish, is it even loaded, can we see load times.

The console and the controller are probably set up in a spec way, where you can only play certain games i don't know, its just strange.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
One thing i really hope with those removable covers are not as hard to off take of as my ps4 pro.

God dammit, my fingers hurt for days afterward and at 50 o don't have a strong grip like i did when i was 20.

you should see me trying to open the marmalade jar in the morning, its a battle of life and death..

Last edited:
One thing i really hope with those removable covers are not as hard take of as my ps4 pro.

God dammit, my fingers hurt for days afterward and at 50 o don't have a strong grip like i did when i was 20.

you should see my trying to open the marmalade jar, its a battle of life and death..
Thank Cerny that it gives you a workout oldtimer. Huehue.

Topic: I really want that teardown already. Also lol @ people saying the Xbox is quieter. How do you come to that conclusion? We didn't hear the PS5 yet. Hopefully both are quiet.

Top Bottom