• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Undertale as good as advertised?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm thinking about playing this game next and I've heard nothing but great things about it. Do you concur with it being that great?

Anything you didn't like about it?

I'm just looking for a casual RPG experience that doesn't require a lot of grinding. This seems to fit the bill at least from the little I've seen about it. I try to avoid spoilers.

Silvawuff

Have you ever played any of the old Mother games? Do you like old school pixel-style RPGs? Do you like third wall breaking? Do you enjoy crazy good-quality chiptune style music? Do you like memorable characters? Do you like shoot'um up style dodging? Are you more into story than core RPG style battle stuff? Are you okay with your in-game choices permanently affecting your game, even on repeat playthroughs? Undertale is for you!

GamesAreFun

Banned
It has a certain charm, provided you don't find the characters irritating. It's a game I'd have loved as a teenager. I feel if you somehow play it without knowing the story & twists, it would be powerful. The gameplay itself is nothing special.

Looney Tunes No GIF by swerk

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think it's pretty good. It has a lot of charm, the gameplay is original and pretty challenging sometimes, and the music is cool too.

Only "downside" is that the game is short and you have to beat it three times in order to get all the endings and bossfights. I put that between quotes because if you like the game you'll have no problem in doing so.

Bridges

It's truly a fantastic game, but I think the sheer amount of memery and the rabid internet fandom that developed around it makes it seem like something worse than what it really is.

It's a short and sweet turn-based RPG that takes a lot from Mother/Earthbound and moon. I would highly recommend giving it a shot, I played it again recently when it came to Xbox and it still holds up pretty well other than maybe some of the humor.

MMaRsu

Banned
I didnt know anything about it and thought it was fantastic

Dont listen to ppl talk shit about the game because of some fanbase, every game/hobby/sport has its weird ass fans who are crazy af about it.

GloveSlap

Wondering this as well. Played for a few minutes and had to jump off, but it seemed kinda cute. Trying to decide between this, Octopath Traveler, and Ori on game pass.

bbeach123

It's an interesting experience if you going blind .

Otherwise boring ass "game" .If you can even call that a "game" .

GloveSlap

I can vouch for Ori, it's amazing. If you like metroidvanias and platforming.
Yeah, i love that type of game. Been trying to jump on Ori/Ori 2 for a while, but i always put it off because its one of the games that doesn't leave game pass. Screw it, going to start it and maybe dabble into the others in the background.

Miles708

I've tried it and got pretty fat, it's an interesting little game. If that's enough for you, go ahead.

I got it with some promotion, I don't know if I would have payed actual money for it. Probably not.

Guilty_AI

Its good. From characters to game design and music, everything is of great quality.
Only real weakness are the visuals, though even those seem to fit with the overall game.

I'm just looking for a casual RPG experience that doesn't require a lot of grinding. This seems to fit the bill at least from the little I've seen about it. I try to avoid spoilers.
Well, its sorta of does, but it also does not. Honestly its a bit hard to explain without spoiling too much, but just understand the game has a very meta approach to RPGs, or games in general.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's really neat. Don't play Undertale because you want an RPG though. It's more like a Flash game with an inventive plot.

It's like 6 hours long and if you don't find charm in it after the first, say, hour, you can drop it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's good. Especially the jokes and music.
Just a bit overstays it's welcome and difficulty later on

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's truly a fantastic game, but I think the sheer amount of memery and the rabid internet fandom that developed around it makes it seem like something worse than what it really is.

It's a short and sweet turn-based RPG that takes a lot from Mother/Earthbound and moon. I would highly recommend giving it a shot, I played it again recently when it came to Xbox and it still holds up pretty well other than maybe some of the humor.

Yeah Undertale was great in 2016 but now it's such a sacred cow in some IDPOL circles and the game has obnoxious fans.

In that regard the game was better in the days when it was a total surprise and only nerds on message boards were hyping it up.

Naibel

I found it pretty good at the time, with a nice twist on the RPG formula. And what an OST it has, absolutely superb !

But yeah, its fanbase is cancerous as hell and has overhyped this thing so much that it's never gonna live up to anyone's expectations now. But hey, Persona 5's fanbase is also massively cringe yet I still love the game. Better seperate the two and better go in totally blind for maximum enjoyment.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Oh damn I love Undertale. When did the consensus on the game change here? I remember a lot of people massively hyping it at the time. I'd say it's definitely worth a playthrough and I adore the soundtrack.

Last edited:

darkleemar

Neo Member
Are people here joking? I thought it was a great game. The art style was nice, the soundtrack was amazing, and the combat was unique. I also thought the humor was good. Don't let the weird fan base stop you from playing it. It was very much a good game.

I hate it with a passion. It's really one of the worst games I've ever played, and I've tried to play it for hours a couple of times.

It feels like someone making a joke that I'm not in on. I could go on about every aspect that I hate about it but nah.

I guess it's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Rockondevil

I personally didn't enjoy it as much as others seem to. Jokes can be ok and the end is pretty good but other than that I guess it wasn't for me.

Erdrick

I never really had heard of the game until it came to the PS4 back in summer of 2017. I loved Eartbound and the look in general, and it was cheap enough, so I bought it being relatively blind to the hype.

I finished it in a day or so, but it's absolutely one of the most memorable games I've ever played. Definitely went in places I did not expect and the music is spectacular. Writing has a great sense of humour and I just really loved it all said and done. I beat it once, went back and did another route but no way in hell will I beat the other variant. The boss battle on that path is fucking insane and I absolutely do not have the skills or nerves for such a segment.

Buy it and enjoy. It's up there with the all-time greats.

Top Bottom