• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issues using mic port on new Dualshock 4

I bought a new DS4 last week from Best Buy because my two launch controllers are worn out (analog sticks peeled, buttons stuck, etc). When I got home and tried to play a game with some friends they kept saying that they could not hear me but I could hear them clearly. I was using some apple earbuds since it was closest to me at the time. I kept switching out earbuds and headphones (high end B&O headphones/earbuds) until I picked up my old controller and plugged it in there.

Everything was working fine again only when I used my old controller.

I have no clue why Sony would update the newer controller model not to support mics from non PS4 headphones. One of the shining feature of the PS4 was that you could use any headphones/earphones with it and hear and speak clearly.

Other people listing the same issues:
http://community.us.playstation.com...ry-DS4-Mic-Support-Issue/td-p/45377252/page/2

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3rtqu7/my_new_ds4_is_having_mic_issues/

Is there a way around this? Do I now need to buy an adapter just to use a feature that was there at launch?

Oppo

are you sure? there's no real way to "restrict" that mic, it's a standard 3 stripe 3.5mm.

Wereroku

Apple does weird things with their earbuds do you have a generic set to try?

are you sure? there's no real way to "restrict" that mic, it's a standard 3 stripe 3.5mm.

Apple used to use a non standard configuration on their earbuds so I wouldn't be surprised if it is that.

A short extension lead might fix it. Don't Apple switch the points around on the 3.5mm jack? In fact, I am surprised they worked in the first place on a Dual Shock 4.

But yeah, maybe a really short extension lead might fix it?

Yaqoub

Apple ear phones use a different standard as far as I know so the mic won't work. Try other non-Apple stuff and it should work.

sector4

My apple earbuds would never work on my Sony Xperia Ray, I'd get an accessory not supported message so this wouldn't surprise me.

I'm quite sure it is the newer controller model

When using two different earphones: beoplay H3 earbuds and apple earbuds on my old controller I can (1) hear audio and (2) talk using the mic. On the newer controller I can just (1) hear audio.

The fact that I can plug everything in my old controller and it works perfectly tells me that it is an issue with the newer controller.

I'm trying to get more headphones to test with it now

EthanC

Banned
My Crossfade Wireless came with a headphone cable that has a mic on it. When plugged into my older camo DS4, all I get is game audio and other people talking. It won't recognize the mic. I plug it into my Darth Vader controller and it works as a mic as well. I thought there was a problem with the controller. Due to an issue with my first set of headphones, they sent me a new pair with the same type of wire. This wire works on both controllers. So essentially I've added nothing to this conversation other than suggesting it might be random and have nothing to do with the newness of the controller.

Weird, I use headphones and my friends can listen to me with no problem. My controller is the 20th Anniversary one.

Maybe they changed it recently though. Or it could be a faulty one.

Apple earbuds never worked properly.

It was the same shit, the guy using them could barely be heard and there was some kind of feedback. Everything sounded fine to him.

Apparently he'd been using them for months, blaming the psn the entire time.

ps3ud0

I get the feeling theres a chance they arent fully seated into the socket - it could be a defect with that controller...

My Shures with the apple mic cable dont work with either old or new DS4s, but its well known Apple changed how the jack is wired and perhaps only worked due to some cross connection or something...

ps3ud0 8)

I've been using my Apple earbuds since I first got my PS4. My friends do tell me that there is a slight buzz whenever I speak, but other than that they work fine.

My brother tried to use his Apple Earbuds (from the Iphone 5s i think) and they didn't worked either.
I'll try on my DualShock later to see if they work here.

Weird, I use headphones and my friends can listen to me with no problem. My controller is the 20th Anniversary one.

Maybe they changed it recently though. Or it could be a faulty one.

I used an AKG headphone mic combo and this works with the original DS4 but when I used in on the 20th Anniversary DS4, I get the audio working but mic is not working.

Strange...

I used 4 different earphones and 1 headphone

apple earphone
beoplay h3 earphone
panasonic earphone
generic earbuds that came with an android phone
Bose headphones

None worked with the new controller--it does not pick up my voice with the mic.

All worked with my old DS4.

Title should be 'Apple products only work with apple products'.

Que?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
My apple earbuds would never work on my Apple Xperia Ray, I'd get an accessory not supported message so this wouldn't surprise me.
Damn man, you would expect at least one of the earbuds to work.

Wereroku

Seems like CTIA earbuds aren't supposed to work in the DS4 and if they are you have a short in the input. So the reason it works in your old DS4 controller is a defect and probably sounds terrible to the people you play with.

Edit

Reddit has an answer scroll down apparently the layout is a bit different but still a standard input.

Mic breakdown

Tjamato88

My Apple earbuds never worked with my DS4. I've used the mono headset and I bought the Vita earbuds that work great.

I really want to get the Gold Wireless headset though.

bombshell

I used 4 different earphones and 1 headphone

apple earphone
beoplay h3 earphone
panasonic earphone
generic earbuds that came with an android phone
Bose headphones

None worked with the new controller--it does not pick up my voice with the mic.

All worked with my old DS4.

And what about the mic that came with your PS4? It sounds like you haven't had any mic working with your new DS4, so it could be broken.

Yeah OP Apple ear buds won't work on a DS4 for voice chat, sorry.

Sure you can pick up another affordable pair that work fine that way.

Seems like CTIA earbuds aren't supposed to work in the DS4 and if they are you have a short in the input. So the reason it works in your old DS4 controller is a defect and probably sounds terrible to the people you play with.

This is false, I have been told that my mic is clear when using CTIA earphones, and if my controller is a defect then all the old DS4 models are defects because there have been multiple gaf and reddit thread highlighting this feature for PS4.

Yeah OP Apple ear buds won't work on a DS4 for voice chat, sorry.

Sure you can pick up another affordable pair that work fine that way.

The issue is that it works with the old DS4 model though, why would it be changed now?

And what about the mic that came with your PS4? It sounds like you haven't had any mic working with your new DS4, so it could be broken.

Just plugged that in now, it shows my voice being picked up. So that mic is working with my new DS4

(I'm using in game party chats and checking my audio settings to see when my voice is being picked up)

would recommend buying one of these, then you can use whatever:
mL4CAshNIqUa4AvWpnXsuQQ.jpg

make sure it's a 4-pole one, should work on any dualshock 4.
aktdesc_1034496213_00.jpg

Boogdud

The issue is that it works with the old DS4 model though, why would it be changed now?

Just plugged that in now, it shows my voice being picked up. So that mic is working.

(I'm using in game party chats and checking my audio settings to see when my voice is being picked up)

You must have gotten lucky, my cousin was moaning about the same thing when we both got our launch models. His wouldn't work with apple earbuds on a launch model. I never even tried.

Wereroku

This is false, I have been told that my mic is clear when using CTIA earphones, and if my controller is a defect then all the old DS4 models are defects because there have been multiple gaf and reddit thread highlighting this feature for PS4.

Just plugged that in now, it shows my voice being picked up. So that mic is working.

Everything I can find says that the DS4 is OMTP and shouldn't be compatible.

Koobion

It's sounding like it's either a setting issue (if they're separate when you switch controls) or an issue with the controller itself - if those other headphones aren't working with the new one but are with the new one.

Edit:
I recommend that future thread makers avoid making sweeping, misleading thread titles. People might get the wrong idea.

Yeah, the title should be changed. You can't claim something like that so recklessly.

Deft Beck

I recommend that future thread makers avoid making sweeping, misleading thread titles. People might get the wrong idea.

This is the stupidest thread I have seen recently.

You cannot fucking "restrict" a 3.5 headphone/mic jack. Please get some education or stop shitposting.
The stupidest questions are the questions that are not asked.

Anyways Darryl, try checking something in the settings? There might be something related to your issuse is there.

The apple mic never worked well with the DS4... I remember playing Destiny with friends and them all being able to tell that I was using one. After switching to the crappy one that came with the PS4, the issues went away and everyone was happy.

Moral of the story, just don't use the apple headset.

RexNovis

Banned
I bought a new DS4 last week from Best Buy because my two launch controllers are worn out (analog sticks peeled, buttons stuck, etc). When I got home and tried to play a game with some friends they kept saying that they could not hear me but I could hear them clearly. I was using some apple earbuds since it was closest to me at the time. I kept switching out earbuds and headphones (high end B&O headphones/earbuds) until I picked up my old controller and plugged it in there.

Everything was working fine again only when I used my old controller.

I have no clue why Sony would update the newer controller model not to support mics from non PS4 headphones. One of the shining feature of the PS4 was that you could use any headphones/earphones with it and hear and speak clearly.

Other people listing the same issues:
http://community.us.playstation.com...ry-DS4-Mic-Support-Issue/td-p/45377252/page/2

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3rtqu7/my_new_ds4_is_having_mic_issues/

Is there a way around this? Do I now need to buy an adapter just to use a feature that was there at launch?

This is NOT true. I purchased a 3rd controller last weekend. It was one of the new Silver controllers here in Japan. I used my generic AU headphones to chat with friends today with absolutely no issues.

So you had mic issues with a new controller and then somehow came to the conclusion that Sony has changed all new controllers to not work with non PS4 mics? Talk about jumping to conclusions! Not only that but you decided "oh let me post a thread on a prominent forum talking about this." So at no point in this process did it occur to you that it's infinitely more likely you have a faulty controller? I mean wow dude.

Fliesen

I've been using my Apple earbuds since I first got my PS4. My friends do tell me that there is a slight buzz whenever I speak, but other than that they work fine.

on one of my controlers, i have a high pitched buzz instead of microphone input when using my iPhone earpods.

On the other, the same pair of earpods works flawlessly (i can even use it as a mic for GH live) ...

no idea whose fault it is, really.

I don't think it's the controller revision as much as maybe just the controller itself, specifically the plug. Even WITH a PS4 Silver headset it would sometimes happen to my wife. I got her an extension for it to make it a right angled connector for the controller and the problem went away. Though the shape shouldn't matter, the connection might have just been made tighter because of the extension used.

panda-zebra

TBF, I remember reading something at the end of last year that was similar to what the OP write about - newer model ds4s having different firmware or just *something* about them was different that prevented non-Sony/licensed headsets with mics from working. I'd google that now but I have to dash, worth a looky though.

It would have been more prudent of you to return the DS4 as broken and get a another one to try. Then verify the problem exists on the new one before broadly stating it's a uniform issue with the model. You could have just gotten a defective one.

Guymelef

OP:

"Fact":
Sony's newer DS4 controllers restrict non-PS4 mics

"Proofs":
Couple of three months old thread with few messages.

Pretty sure if this was a general problem we would know...

Top Bottom