• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issues using mic port on new Dualshock 4

Someone here quoted me and I'll edit this post later with the quote, I'm on mobile now.

I'm using an adapter here too, with my HyperX Cloud. 20th Anniversary controller and it is working as far as last week.

This isn't going to help the OP but I just have to say.

Get rid of your apple headphones. Seriously people spend $20 on Amazon and get something that isn't a complete piece of trash. I can't stand playing with other people that are using Apple headsets.

Wereroku

This is not isolated, and he is correct. I went through this when I purchased a blue controller and 20th anniversary controller. All of sudden the mics on several of our earbuds stopped working. Plug them into launch controller, they work perfect, plug them into new controller no luck at all. o one is really to blame (I know people love to blame Apple). It is just Sony changed something in the new controller (the poles from what I understand) that stopped certain mics working.

Also I am confused has hell about people saying the Apple Earbuds never worked. On launched controllers they did, and as someone who has 3 launch PS4s, the Apple earbuds worked perfect (no not the best, but we didn't have feedback or bad static when we talked to each other). Also we have other headphones that no longer work with non-launch controllers.

Yes but they are all CTIA headsets. This does not appear to be a supported standard but for some people they are. My 2 controllers don't support them I just tried. Since there is no transparency from Sony on this it seems more likely that some launch units had a port that was allowing this to happen versus Sony changing headphone support.

This is not isolated, and he is correct (he has worded it wrong, because it has nothing to do with who made the headset). I went through this when I purchased a blue controller and 20th anniversary controller. All of sudden the mics on several of our earbuds stopped working. Plug them into launch controller, they work perfect, plug them into new controller no luck at all. It is just Sony changed something in the new controller (the poles from what I understand) that stopped certain mics working.

Also I am confused has hell about people saying the Apple Earbuds never worked. On launched controllers they did, and as someone who has 3 launch PS4s, the Apple earbuds worked perfect (no not the best, but we didn't have feedback or bad static when we talked to each other). Also we have other headphones that no longer work with non-launch controllers.

Edit:

So this is the issue? So CITA mics were supported with launch DS4s correct?

My launch DS4 and all of my friends did not work with EarPods. It would create a horrible static when they tried using the mics. Sound worked but that's it.

ocean

Banned
I know this is true. I bought a 20th Anniversary PS4 controller and my Bose headphones (which work perfectly with all my older PS4 controllers) won't work on them. I can get sound through, but the mic doesn't work.

Much googling reveals this is a common issue with newer firmware controllers. I thought it was silly and actually had the controller replaced - twice - to no avail. Ended up just giving it away to my little brother.

Wereroku

I know this is true. I bought a 20th Anniversary PS4 controller and my Bose headphones (which work perfectly with all my older PS4 controllers) won't work on them. I can get sound through, but the mic doesn't work.

Much googling reveals this is a common issue with newer firmware controllers. I thought it was silly and actually had the controller replaced - twice - to no avail. Ended up just giving it away to my little brother.

It's not a firmware change it's a hardware change. They may be sourcing the plugs from somewhere else.

Alucrid

Banned
Sorry man, I'm one of those, but it's just because I have them lying around the ones that come with the ps4 I can't find.

Anyway? Glad it's cleared up, can some Good Samaritan come up with a list of the best headsets to get for ps4 now? Maybe highest quality, best middle of the road, and best bang for your buck?
Just buy the vita ones they're like 10 dollars

Get rid of your apple headphones. Seriously people spend $20 on Amazon and get something that isn't a complete piece of trash. I can't stand playing with other people that are using Apple headsets.

I did get the Vita headphones,and they work great.

So if I understood this correctly the alternative thread title would be "Sony fixes newer DS4 controllers to avoid voice chat feedback from unsupported mics"?

nath999

Those are also CTIA headsets. The issue is that the old controllers appeared to support a standard they weren't supposed to. Usually this can happen because some of the poles are shorting which usually causes a buzzing sound.

This is the most correct answer you will get. I wouldn't bother with returning it, the unit is not defective.

ocean

Banned
So if I understood this correctly the alternative thread title would be "Sony fixes newer DS4 controllers to avoid voice chat feedback from unsupported mics"?
My headset - which is fairly high end - works perfectly well and causes no issues when I party chat. It works on everything I've ever tried it on, including launch PS4 controllers, except my 20th Anniversary DS4.

Your snark is beautiful but misleading.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apple ear pod headset (newer shape) caused a buzzing and whining to my party friends even though it sounded perfect to me.

With the older style apple earbuds this wasn't an issue so I switched to those.
I wonder if I can still use those.

Wereroku

My headset - which is fairly high end - works perfectly well and causes no issues when I party chat. It works on everything I've ever tried it on, including launch PS4 controllers, except my 20th Anniversary DS4.

Are they CTIA Bose's? If so everything seems to lead back to some early PS4 controllers supporting the CTIA standard.

This is interesting to hear. I have a couple sets of headphones that have stopped working on my Sony Xperia phone after an update a couple months ago.

Did you ask the other people in the chat? Seems like you would not hear the feedback from the microphone yourself:

Apple ear pod headset (newer shape) caused a buzzing and whining to my party friends even though it sounded perfect to me.

With the older style apple earbuds this wasn't an issue so I switched to those.
I wonder if I can still use those.

It's also not really due to the quality but if it's true that the two are using the two different standards, it makes perfect sense why a mic would either not work at all or would create a buzz sound (e.g. if there's overlapping contact or something):

3.5mm plugs are super finnicky. the socket used in one controller might be one tenth of a millimeter deeper than the other, thereby bridging different contacts on the plug, etc.

my car's AUX was super finnicky and didn't work with certain cables until i actually 'shaved / drilled' off some of the "case" to make the plug go in deeper.

UT8toSIXhNbXXagOFbXD.jpg

aye. it's all about the ground vs. mic positioning.
i think that's why (generally) the apple earbuds don't work as a mic, because the contact the DS4 expects the mic signal from actually contacts to ground. - hence the high pitched noise. (?)

I didn't want to be too snarky though. I don't care either way, I'm using the PS camera as a microphone as it's always plugged in lol

Tomeru

Op is right. My HD558 won;t work with my 20th ann controller, but they work well with the original one. My Steelseries Elite works fine though. Shame.

this.
10/10

And for the love of god, please stop using the PS camera as a mic. We can hear babies crying in another room, your mom washing dishes, and your sister's phone convo with her bff

And for the love of god, please stop using the PS camera as a mic. We can hear babies crying in another room, your mom washing dishes, and your sister's phone convo with her bff

Hey, there's no one else in my room and I listen to the game/chat sound via mixamp+headphones!

Though we compared it and it still sounds a bit more muffled/echo-y than with a mic, obviously.

Launch DS4 and non launch DS4 owner here. I have earphones with mics that are set to only work with Apple products, and ones for Android. The Apple ones font work with either controller. Android ones work with both. Odd that it's not working for you OP. Hope you can fix it or find the issue.

LOLCats

Banned
Apple earbuds are fail. I was having all kinds of issues that were immediately resolved with a non apple mic

I didn't want to be too snarky though. I don't care either way, I'm using the PS camera as a microphone as it's always plugged in lol

You are a bad person. Using the PS Camera Mic is almost as bad as the people who get apple mics to work. No one wants to listen to the game audio on a few second delay. Buy a mic for your headset.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Don't use the earpods. They emit a buzzing noise when you use the mic because Apple reversed the pins on it.

The older earbuds (pre iPhone 5) should work.

I've been using the iphone 5s earbuds and for the most part they work fine.
Fine for you, not for the people listening to you. I found this out the hard way by having people complain about the buzzing coming through my apple earbuds (which I couldn't hear)... Switched and it apparently went away. Stop using them for the good of the people!

Isn't it a matter of breaking in the new controller? I have a red DS4, which at first lead to being unable to use the mic, but after a while it worked fine. Be kind to the people on the other end though, they hear a beep sound whenever your mic is activated.

After pulling, plugging the connector into the controllers tens of times, eventually it'll work I think. I have a PS 20th anniversary controller now which is even newer than the red one, but as I'm using a wireless headset now, I'm unable to verify whether my previous statement is still correct with the newest batch of DS4s.

nded

3o85xqtJ8bkWFOHnmE.gif

alright. I thought this was a bad thing.

He's saying DS4s weren't meant to support mics designed around Apple's proprietary standard in the first place. Apple mics "working" on some older DS4 models seems to be a manufacturing error because the sound quality is usually fucked up as with improperly grounded mics. This also frequently happens when people try to use headsets meant for apple on Android devices, as in the audio works but the mic is either distorted or non-functional.

This is not isolated,..

How is it not isolated? How many people are having the issue out of the 36 million PS4s and probably 100 million DS4s that have been sold? From my perspective, if 1% are having the issue it is isolated. If 20% are having the issue, it is likely a widespread problem. But, unless you can quantify some high percentage of this as an issue, I just don't see it... or have you done any testing on a new DS4 to support that there is some sort of intentional change by Sony that renders some 3mm headphones useless?

I recommend that future thread makers avoid making sweeping, misleading thread titles. People might get the wrong idea.

Agreed.

I have non launch controllers, and my headset adapter cable paired with Audio Technica AD900 headphones and non PS branded clip on mic work great.

Edit- the 3.5 mm plug must be 4 pole, otherwise the mic will never work

HotHamBoy

I've had a PS4 since launch and I have a newer white DS4 and my apple ear buds mic never worked with either of them. My others do.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been using my Apple earbuds since I first got my PS4. My friends do tell me that there is a slight buzz whenever I speak, but other than that they work fine.
It's not slight. They are being nice. Buy a different pair, for their sake.

This is definitely true. I had he same issue on Battlefront. Used old controller and it worked fine. However the new one I use does not allow third party earbuds with built in mics to work correctly. You can't hear each other.

HiiiLife

I remember having problems with apple earbuds back when I got a ps4 in 2013. I think it's just an apple thing. Bose headphones have been working just fine with the new dual shocks.

Iorv3th

Those saying they worked fine before... They didn't. The make a terrible buzzing sound when you chat. You can't hear it yourself but everyone else can.

Jolkien

What's more likely that the company who decided to change a connector on their phone and instead of adopting what the rest of the world is using went for a new proprietary connector, or Sony designed a new 3.5mm audio jack to block those pesky competitors !

On topic: I have a launch day controller and a second one I bought 3-4 months after the PS4 came out. My iPhone earbuds doesn't work in either of them.

ocean

Banned
Those saying they worked fine before... They didn't. The make a terrible buzzing sound when you chat. You can't hear it yourself but everyone else can.
I regularly play using my Beats, Bose or Seinheisser sets and have never had complaints. I also play with my little brother (we don't live together), who I share my headsets with. He likes the Beats and I've never heard any buzzing sound when playing with him.

None of these headsets work if we use newer PS4 controllers like the 20th anniversary edition (which I gifted to him because of this issue), but they work just fine with other controllers (launch black one, blue one I purchased later etc).

Shenmue

Banned
Apple gonna apple.

At least if the iphone seven rumors are true we won't have these issues anymore because their earbuds will have lightning connectors instead of 3.5.

TalonJH

Model CUH-ZCT1U is what I see on the back.

It may sound weird but this advice has fixed it for some people. The jack is sometimes a little tighter on the newer controllers. Try pressing it in with a little more force and see if it goes in further. Use your none apple set that you tested.

Worth a try.

I had this issue with a few new controller units, but I fixed it by realizing I had to push the plug into the jack a little harder than usual. It wasn't seated all the way.

There was one last *click* and then it was fully inserted.

This is because some plugs have the mic lead closest to the cable. (Furthest from the tip) So when inserting it into a jack it's going to be the last portion to get seated.

Yep, that's what I suggested.

Top Bottom