• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issues using mic port on new Dualshock 4

You've probably tried this, but is it fully inserted? New ones will be nice and stiff and it might not be in all the way. Caught me out in the past.

Also, is there a chance that using a NEW controller would reset any of its settings in the Controller Menu (after holding PS button)? Worth a look, incase its somehow turned off Game/Voice chat or something.

Otherwise, might be worth getting a replacement.

The issue is that it works with the old DS4 model though, why would it be changed now?

Hmm strange.. I remember trying apple ear buds on both my launch DS4 and newer model white controller, voice chat never works.

I just tried it once on the old model though.

Venfayth

Both could still be using CTIA and not OMTP if they are 'Apple compatible/certified' which would lead to the same issue

ps3ud0 8)

Your posts would be way better if you used a cool signature instead of that boring one!

Something like this maybe

t8pN9fD.png

This kind of confusion is probably why Apple will kill the decades old, ancient tech of aux input. Good riddance. They'll drag the luddites kicking and screaming into the future, just like they have always done.

nynt9

Apple earbuds don't work with the PS4. The fact that it worked with your old controller must was a fluke.

Ban Puncher

Maybe the new DS4 is busted?

Swap the analogue sticks between your old and this new pad then take it back for an exchange. It'll get marked as defective, the store credited from the manufacturer and the product written off and dumped so might as well get your old controller working out of being inconvenienced.

Went through my settings and I do not see anything different when I have the old controller connected vs the newer one. I'm not even sure if the PS4 have settings saved per controller.

Mr Moose

Might sound silly, but are you sure you've plugged it in far enough?
I have the grey controller 20th edition one, just tried my old Skullcandy headphones on it, works fine. I'll try with a few more but I think they'll probably work.

Tigress

From what I was told by the people I played with my apple earbuds didn't work with my launch day controller. Maybe it doesn't have to do with if the controller is new but luck of the draw?

Apple earbuds never worked properly.

It was the same shit, the guy using them could barely be heard and there was some kind of feedback. Everything sounded fine to him.

Apparently he'd been using them for months, blaming the psn the entire time.

This people who use apple earbuds are basically torture to have to play with

Apple earbuds don't work with the PS4. The fact that it worked with your old controller must was a fluke.

This, this, this. There were several videos when the PS4 was released that showed the Apple earbuds not working properly in the DS4 and it is most likely because something on Apple end. If it did work for you, that was an aberration.

Fliesen

Went through my settings and I do not see anything different when I have the old controller connected vs the newer one. I'm not even sure if the PS4 have settings saved per controller.

3.5mm plugs are super finnicky. the socket used in one controller might be one tenth of a millimeter deeper than the other, thereby bridging different contacts on the plug, etc.

my car's AUX was super finnicky and didn't work with certain cables until i actually 'shaved / drilled' off some of the "case" to make the plug go in deeper.

This, this, this. There were several videos when the PS4 was released that showed the Apple earbuds not working properly in the DS4 and it is most likely because something on Apple end. If it did work for you, that was an aberration.

UT8toSIXhNbXXagOFbXD.jpg

aye. it's all about the ground vs. mic positioning.
i think that's why (generally) the apple earbuds don't work as a mic, because the contact the DS4 expects the mic signal from actually contacts to ground. - hence the high pitched noise. (?)

Might sound silly, but are you sure you've plugged it in far enough?
I have the grey controller 20th edition one, just tried my old Skullcandy headphones on it, works fine. I'll try with a few more but I think they'll probably work.

Tried pushing it in further and it won't go any deeper. There is a snug feeling with the old DS4. Getting a mate to come by with his 2 new DS4 (blue and red) to test it as well but he also mentioned that he no longer could use some of his headphones and just switched to using his PS Gold headset

Yep, this is true. I was on the phone with a eBay seller who decided to call me when I messaged him about a custom controller I was buying from him, and he happened to mention that he noticed with prior experience that the newer model Dualshock 4s, only accept Sony headphones (full functionality, as you can still use any as headphones I guess but not as mics) - this was pretty sly of Sony to do because you can't really notice it but it is still fucked up.

This is eye-opening for me. I tried skyping with my boss while abroad recently. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my headphones that day. I had to borrow my collaborator's apple headphones but my audio wasn't coming through. In the end he had to make an international phone call. I thought the headphones were faulty, but turns out it was just Apple fuckery all along. Seriously, fuck Apple.

Phatcorns

I've never been able to get the Apple headphones to work with the DS4. They would work, but it would always cause loud buzzing for everyone else.

nib95

Banned
I think you just need to use the other mic cable/config, e.g. in the same way for Apple devices only one set of mics work, whilst for Android devices there's another. You're likely just using the wrong kind.

Fliesen

This is eye-opening for me. I tried skyping with my boss while abroad recently. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my headphones that day. I had to borrow my collaborator's apple headphones but my audio wasn't coming through. In the end he had to make an international phone call. I thought the headphones were faulty, but turns out it was just Apple fuckery all along. Seriously, fuck Apple.
it's actually apple using the more common order of contacts.

and the DS4 should actually be using the same standard.

weird.

There have been some revealing things in this thread.
Screw apple
, and the DS4 3.5mm jack depth may have been altered causing issues with a good amount of headphones. I'm not sure if it was made longer by such a small amount but there is a difference. I will be swapping out controllers tomorrow at Best Buy and testing again with the same black model.

This might be an issue of quality control with the new DS4

Hazaku

Yeah the microphone on MFi headsets (ones with apple remote and mics) don't work with my Crystal DS4. They work fine with my launch DS4 though. Tested this out with KEF M500s, Sennheiser Amperiors and something else I forgot the name of.

Thread title is super click baity though ... TRRS headsets from recent years along with PC headsets with adapters still work fine.

EDIT: My Crystal's model no is CUH-ZCT1J

Fliesen

Screw apple
, and the DS4 3.5mm jack depth may have been altered causing issues with a good amount of headphones. I'm not sure if it was made longer by such a small amount but there is a difference. I will be swapping out controllers tomorrow at Best Buy and testing again with the same black model.

again, i don't see how this is Apple's fault.

Or you just got a bad one. There's always going to be lemons no matter how much QC goes into something

It is completely possible for that to happen. But since I am not the only person that mentioned this change I think it is safe to attribute it to being a quality control issue seeing how it is affecting more people than just me [if this is an issue of the DS4 build and not a deliberate change].

OP clearly stated that he didn't recognize the issue only with apple earpods, but several different headsets.

I myself have the same issue. I would have created a similar thread a few weeks ago if I was able to.

I had 2 Dualshock 4 controllers, one came with my launch PS4, I got the other one around launch time as well. Both worked perfectly fine with my Sennheiser Momentum headset.

Recently I bought two new controllers from different resellers in different colours (1 white, the other black) and encounter the same problem on both controllers. My mic doesn't work anymore on the new controllers, whereas it worked absolutely fine on both of my launch controllers.

Therefore I can totally relate to the thread title and agree, that it is a problem that is not up to apple but up to the new Dualshock 4 revision.

It is completely possible for that to happen. But since I am not the only person that mentioned this change I think it is safe to attribute it to being a quality control issue seeing how it is affecting more people than just me [if this is an issue of the DS4 build and not a deliberate change].

More people as in a handful of people and people using Apple headsets that won't work in the first place because of Apple's design decision?

NewDust

I don't know how ps4 deals with this, but when you tested between controllers, you didn't have both on at the same time? I wouldn't be suprised if only the controller signed to logged in account can deliver mic support. Also when testing your other ear-/headphones... Are they supposed to work with apple products?

Screw apple

Far as I can tell is Apple earbuds are good for sweet fa apart from audio output from the DS4.

Back in September I bought a pair of Sony DREX12IPB (In-ear, Link). Sound was ok (although weird), but I was never able to make the microphone work with my PS4 (bought in May 2015), although somebody told me it worked well with it. Except for the controls, the mic works well on my phone (Moto G2), but that's as far as it goes.

From the description it looks like they were designed for Apple devices, so no wonder they don't work

pastrami

it's actually apple using the more common order of contacts.

and the DS4 should actually be using the same standard.

weird.

Apple has their own signaling standard: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/17561_Jays_AB_headset_for_Windows_Ph.php

Apple's non-standard signalling and control method means many designed for iPhone headsets are incompatible with other devices. In general the audio out and one button control on such headsets will work, but the audio-in (microphone) and volume controls will not.

If you've gotten Apple specific headsets to work previously, it was probably a fluke.

it's not non-Ps4 mics, it's non-Sony mics, I think

Sony doesn't have a proprietary headset standard. There is AHJ/CTIA, OMTP, and Apple's own take on AHJ/CTIA.

More people as in a handful of people and people using Apple headsets that won't work in the first place because of Apple's design decision?

I don't see why you are stuck on the apple earphone. I mentioned that it was one of the earphones I used. I listed 4 others afterwards.

Actually its probably a QC issue with the old DS4

ps3ud0 8)

What an issue to have. Haha people were praising the DS4 as being amazing for being compatible with so many other headphones/earphones

I don't know how ps4 deals with this, but when you tested between controllers, you didn't have both on at the same time? I wouldn't be suprised if only the controller signed to logged in account can deliver mic support. Also when testing your other ear-/headphones... Are they supposed to work with apple products?

I made sure to sign out completely on the other controller and turn it off. I even went so far to just rebooting my PS4 with the newer controller to make sure nothing funky was happening.

Apple earbuds never worked with the DS4. In fact they caused this weird static sound that is the most annoying thing ever for others in your chat

I don't see why you are stuck on the apple earphone. I mentioned that it was one of the earphones I used. I listed 4 others afterwards.

Incompatibility with headsets has always been an issue

What an issue to have. Haha people were praising the DS4 as being amazing for being compatible with so many other headphones/earphones

I'm thinking of the Apple headphone cause it tells me that you had not tried this before or else you would have known the apple headphones don't work with DS4's

nakedeyes

Banned
I got a new DS4 recently ( 20th anni version ) and it works like a champ!

Why is the OP not even considering having just a faulty unit?

Also: what everyone is saying about the apple earbuds is true: they sometimes work, but produce a buzz for others and have issues with bands crossing on some devices. Don't make any sweeping accusations while using those buds on the DS4.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I used 4 different earphones and 1 headphone

apple earphone
beoplay h3 earphone
panasonic earphone
generic earbuds that came with an android phone
Bose headphones

None worked with the new controller--it does not pick up my voice with the mic.

All worked with my old DS4.

Que?
Apple earphones never worked.

Why is this topic up? Clearly sensational and not true. One of this site's main perks is not having to sift through BS garbage like this, which has been exhaustively shown to be false even in this thread.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
it's not non-Ps4 mics, it's non-Sony mics, I think
There are pin layout standards and there are manufacturing realities when creating a connector.

What you imagine to exists just doesn't exist based on how 3.5mm pin connectors work. Just look at any of the pictures posted and this will be absolutely clear.

QaaQer

OP clearly stated that he didn't recognize the issue only with apple earpods, but several different headsets.

I myself have the same issue. I would have created a similar thread a few weeks ago if I was able to.

I had 2 Dualshock 4 controllers, one came with my launch PS4, I got the other one around launch time as well. Both worked perfectly fine with my Sennheiser Momentum headset.

Recently I bought two new controllers from different resellers in different colours (1 white, the other black) and encounter the same problem on both controllers. My mic doesn't work anymore on the new controllers, whereas it worked absolutely fine on both of my launch controllers.

Therefore I can totally relate to the thread title and agree, that it is a problem that is not up to apple but up to the new Dualshock 4 revision.

It is common for people to embellish stories in order want to lay blame and get angry.

Posting a 'help, my mic doesnt work anymore with new ds4, WTF?' thread is fine; but this thread title and and conclusions are worthy of derision.

Top Bottom