• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issues using mic port on new Dualshock 4

MODEYV3

Banned
Definitely not true, just got a new controller, use my Beats headphones on them all the time, to talk and listen.

Edit: Just tried it and in fact they do not work on my new Vader controller or my 20th anniversary controller.

Koh

I have a brand new controller and every set of headphones mics I've used work fine. I do not have any Apple products so it sounds like that is the issue like many have IDed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm confused. I bought a cheap pair of earbuds because I hate the Apple EarPods and they're uncomfortable. But they day they work on Apple and android phones for the mic and little remote control. So the pin out should be the same for both android and apple?

When I first got my xbox one 3.5mm controller I had tons of buzzing noise coming from the earphone socket with my apple earbuds and had no idea why, after a few days and some help I found out that apple use a reversed setup for their jack ends, which can cause issues on some gadgets.

I use a hands free mobile phone headset and it works perfectly with the controller now.

I believe any jack that has mic support will cause crackling and static on apple earbuds.

I had this issue with a few new controller units, but I fixed it by realizing I had to push the plug into the jack a little harder than usual. It wasn't seated all the way.

There was one last *click* and then it was fully inserted.

This is because some plugs have the mic lead closest to the cable. (Furthest from the tip) So when inserting it into a jack it's going to be the last portion to get seated.

Seriously, that Bluetooth headset was great.

Wut? They were the least comfortable bluetooth earpieces ever made in my experience.

I have a controller from late '15 (October I think?) and it works with the standard headphones from my HTC just fine. I suspect OP's issue is either a defective DS4 or the Apple headphones are non-standard thing.

Fine for you, not for the people listening to you. I found this out the hard way by having people complain about the buzzing coming through my apple earbuds (which I couldn't hear)... Switched and it apparently went away. Stop using them for the good of the people!
huh? i've had this discussion with a friend before, I told him i was using iphone headphones and if he could hear me fine, he said yeah.
He's saying DS4s weren't meant to support mics designed around Apple's proprietary standard in the first place. Apple mics "working" on some older DS4 models seems to be a manufacturing error because the sound quality is usually fucked up as with improperly grounded mics. This also frequently happens when people try to use headsets meant for apple on Android devices, as in the audio works but the mic is either distorted or non-functional.
I see. so this wasn't really Sony being in the wrong, it's other companies having their own thing that doesn't work with Ds4, which is supposed to be universal

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Model CUH-ZCT1U is what I see on the back.

Holy crappy title!

I have this same model and 3rd party mics work.

That is what I have. Came with my launch unit. I have been using one of many Apple earbuds that I have, sine the PS4 earbuds since broke. Nobody complained, but if there is a noise feedback (I will ask next time), I will just get a standard set at the store, and F* Apple and their "proprietary" bullshit.

That thread title needs adjusting.

Fisty

huh? i've had this discussion with a friend before, I told him i was using iphone headphones and if he could hear me fine, he said yeah.
I see. so this wasn't really Sony being in the wrong, it's other companies having their own thing that doesn't work with Ds4, which is supposed to be universal

I think its more down to TONS of people having Apple devices, and since Apple has to be a unique little snowflake, tons of poorly labeled headsets that are specc'd to work with Apple products are sold to unwitting customers expecting them to work universally since the plug is the same.

RedAssedApe

Banned
anything pre-iphone 5/ pre-earpods should be fine. earpods are when they started changing the 3.5mm connector to using a different pin configuration

That is what I have. Came with my launch unit. I have been using one of many Apple earbuds that I have, sine the PS4 earbuds since broke. Nobody complained, but if there is a noise feedback (I will ask next time), I will just get a standard set at the store, and F* Apple and their "proprietary" bullshit.

That thread title needs adjusting.

you don't need someone else to test this for you. go to mic gain adjustment page in your settings and talk into it. if your mic is buzzing/feedbacking you'll hear it. its not subtle.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm quite sure it is the newer controller model

When using two different earphones: beoplay H3 earbuds and apple earbuds on my old controller I can (1) hear audio and (2) talk using the mic. On the newer controller I can just (1) hear audio.

The fact that I can plug everything in my old controller and it works perfectly tells me that it is an issue with the newer controller.

I'm trying to get more headphones to test with it now

i have a launch controller and the mic from apple earpods don't work on it. so are you sure you can use the mic?

nded

I suspect DS4s use the CTIA standard, which is about as "universal" as a 3.5mm port can be. The problem with universal standards is that they require the cooperation of hardware manufacturers, and Apple loves its proprietary connectors.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
anything pre-iphone 5/ pre-earpods should be fine. earpods are when they started changing the 3.5mm connector to using a different pin configuration

you don't need someone else to test this for you. go to mic gain adjustment page in your settings and talk into it. if your mic is buzzing/feedbacking you'll hear it. its not subtle.

Gotcha. And yes the ear buds are 4s, so that is probably why they work fine.

ocean

Banned
So basically this is an Apple bashing thread?

Happens with Bose, Beats and Seinheisser sets too. These work perfect on some of my controllers but don't have much support on any of the three 20th Anniversary controllers I went through.

But yeah saying fuck Apple is an easier reaction I guess? Google for "20th anniversary microphone doesn't work" and you'll see people on different forums reporting the same issue.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Happens with Bose, Beats and Seinheisser sets too. These work perfect on some of my controllers but don't have much support on any of the three 20th Anniversary controllers I went through.

But yeah saying fuck Apple is an easier reaction I guess? Google for "20th anniversary microphone doesn't work" and you'll see people on different forums reporting the same issue.

Fuck all of them too who change a standard that has zero technical advantages or reasoning to do so other than to be "unique" and to sell their version of proprietory licensing.

It is damned 3.5mm jack for crying out loud.

Feel better?

Dazza

Apple's headphone controller signalling is non standard, so things like answer, mute and volume up and down are different.

Anyway it's time to close this thread, his thread title is completely wrong

nded

I can't speak for the 20th anniversary controller, but all of my DS4s are from close to launch and Earpod mics have never worked on any of them while cheapo headsets for android phones do.

MAN, the power that a question mark could have had in the thread title. ? Mark Could have been a contender..

Just plugged two pair of cheap ear buds with mics in my Blue Dual Shock, mic worked fine...

Gonna try my Sol Headphones later, for giggles...I normally just use the PS Gold headset...

makleod

Neo Member
I actually had this exact issue a couple weeks ago. Here is the deal:

Apple earpods (the new ones that come with iPhone 5 and on) do not work with the DS4 in terms of the mic.

Apple earbuds (the older ones that come with iPhone 4S and before) do work with the DS4 in terms of the mic.

Apple changed their configuration with the new earpods so they don't work with most industry standard things. If you have the old earbuds laying around, they will definitely work.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Apple earpods (the new ones that come with iPhone 5 and on) do not work with the DS4 in terms of the mic.

Apple earbuds (the older ones that come with iPhone 4S and before) do work with the DS4 in terms of the mic.

Apple changed their configuration with the new earpods so they don't work with most industry standard things. If you have the old earbuds laying around, they will definitely work.

/thread

nded

Reading around, the 20th anniversary and newer controllers not working with any headset mics appears to be a separate issue and seems to have more to do with Sony screwing up on the manufacturing end than them actively trying to lock out third party headsets.

kneePat

Yes, that should do it. It clearly explains why people using non-apple headsets are having issues with their mics. Good call.

I don't think people want an explanation. Cause there is a very clear one that wouldn't take much time to find themselves.

Also funny to see the Apple bashing for something like this, the reasoning is hilarious.

nded

I don't get how acknowledging that Apple uses a proprietary configuration for their 3.5mm jacks is bashing them.

kneePat

I don't get how acknowledging that Apple uses a proprietary configuration for their 3.5mm jacks is bashing them.

All cell phone manufacturers use a proprietary standard for their headphones that is not technically supported by the DS4. It's how they get buttons like mute and power on the remotes.

What's funny is people think this is a CTIA problem. But it is not. DS4 and Apple headphones are both CTIA.

CLEEK

I've got a launch PS4 and happily use iOS TRRS headphones+mic on my DS4. Have two Sennheiser Momentums (on-ear and in-ear) and the mic works on both. It's super easy to test. Connect the headphones, see the message that a mic is available, and say "Playstation" to start voice control.

Volumn control doesn't work. Not sure if it would if it was an Android TRRS connector.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
my apple headset generates this high pitched sound ..
my sennheiser has no problems with it .. or any other headset come to think of it

qcf x2

I have my original DS4 and I have to plug in my apple earbuds twice for it to work. Plug in, unplug, plug in again and it works for me(every time).

kneePat

The old iPhone 4 earbuds are CTIA compliant with regards to mic support. Earpods and later are not.

Wrong, all of the Apple earbuds/earpods are CTIA compliant. The new DS4s are (IMO correctly) disabling the microphone channel now on these headphones.

CLEEK

When I was headphone shopping before Christmas, I was researching if iOS headphones with mics would work on the DS4. Before this, I didn't know the technical difference between the two types of 3.5mm jack.

From what I'd read, Apple now have a patent on their design, which isn't just the TRRS pin layout, but also the impedance. A license is required if your headphone or device is to be comparable.

So if newer DS4 are blocking certain iOS comparable sets, it's most likely a legal/licensing issue, not a technical one.

watership

This is probably it. Apple has taken Sony's place on the "Fuck the standards" top 10 list.

nded

Wrong, all of the Apple earbuds/earpods are CTIA compliant. The new DS4s are (IMO correctly) disabling the microphone channel now on these headphones.

I don't know what to tell you dude. I can't speak for new DS4s, but old Apple earbud mics and various Android/PC spec headsets work all day on my controllers while Earpod mics don't.

From what I'd read, Apple now have a patent on their design, which isn't just the TRRS pin layout, but also the impedance. A license is required if your headphone or device is to be comparable.

So if newer DS4 are blocking certain iOS comparable sets, it's most likely a legal/licensing issue, not a technical one.

Wait, Apple somehow has a patent in place that prevents third-party manufacturers from making headsets that have an impedance within a certain range unless they pay a licensing fee?

CLEEK

Wait, Apple somehow has a patent in place that prevents third-party manufacturers from making headsets that have an impedance within a certain range unless they pay a licensing fee?

That's what I read. No idea if it's true. The Apple patent is supposedly on the pin layout and impedance, not just impedance. Tech patents are crazy things, so I could easily see this as the case here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, that should do it. It clearly explains why people using non-apple headsets are having issues with their mics. Good call.

You mean the non-apple made one's that say, "compatible with Apple products" on the box (licensed), since they decided to build them to Apple spec and not stick to what has been the standard for eons?

You don't say!

Wait, so they changed the pin layout, but didn't change the connector shape?

This is so needlessly evil...

kikonawa

anyone has a simple solution? i replaced an old DS4 with a new one ... now my sons beats, and new apple earpods dont work

Top Bottom