• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki gives small update on Devil's Third via Facebook

TheMoon

/// --- I'll keep this OP updated. Latest post will be on top --- ///

UPDATE:

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
February 16, 2015 at 8:41am

Thank you everyone here from bottom of my heart.
My staff at Valhalla are working/playing/enjoying hard all day everyday.
Your kind words encourage us! Thanks again :)
I have to say that finished Devil's Third is almost completely different than the footage you picked up. First of all, you have to aware Ivan (protagonist of DT) is perfect bald man :V
He is cool.
You guys should use Pro-controller for Devil's Third.
no one says specific release date yet. thanks for your patience.
Again. You guys should use Pro-Controller, plus...secret. Sorry

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
February 13, 2015 · Edited ·

Hey gamers gathering here.

I know you guys are craving for the latest information on Devil's Third. Devil's Third isn't a simple shooter, but an unprecedented massive shooter to be played by tons of players. So there's many things to set before we release it. The game contains a lot of elements well over the volume to be provided by two regular games.

This game will be the biggest game of life for me and my colleagues, including you guys, not to mention.
It took two years for the concept working and four years for the development. It's not surprising at all. Such amount of time is needed to create a totally new game from scratch. I'm sure you'll dig what I mean if I say we spent four years to develop Ninja Gaiden.

But, I know your mind. Such development matters have nothing to do with gamers. So I and all the members of Valhalla really appreciate that you guys have waited for Devil's Third for a long time.

What Devil's Third is?
Such announcement will be made over time. Thanks for your patiense. Devil's Third will meet you guys' expectation for sure!
Thanks again from the bottom of my heart.
Tomonobu Itagaki

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
February 3 at 10:47am
So... the time has come again. I have to go drin...

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
February 2 at 6:33pm ·

Thanks guys here!!
Plz talk to me when I'm not drunk. Idk what I ... lol

Here's a non-facebook update from December's 4gamer.net interviews: (nothing new really)

“It looks like Devil’s Third for Wii U is just about done. It’s been two years spent on designs, and four, six years of development,” Itagaki said. “We’ve really kept all of you fans waiting, but for our first title since going independent, it wouldn’t be fun if we released a small game, so [Devil’s Third] is the result of making something while going all out.”

“The single player is made to be like the action games of yesteryear,” he stated. “And the online competitive multiplayer mode was designed on a scale that will make you go ‘this much already?!’ The release date announcement will still take a little longer, but let’s play together when it releases. It’s loads of fun!!”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/3...-all-out-on-devils-third/#vfq0bvIG1ufGwa33.99

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Hey everyone,
here's a Japanese style Christmas card for you guys. Thanks for all your support this year. Next year you can FINALLY get your hands on Devil's Third!!
Have a Happy new year!!
1502378_1517608835169896_5794486763794568752_o.jpg

Posted at 4:10 AM EST on December 29th.

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
hahaha, my games are made of liquor.
December 15, 2014
^I felt this was important. lol

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
(question asks if DT has a full-on singleplayer campaign because "Manuel" doesn't play online a lot)
Manuel, thanks for good question.
We made this game for single play(campaign) and online online multiplay gamers. 'Cuz I know I have to respond to expectations by both gamers. So, in fact, we invested double amount of resources than general development in this industry, to accomplish to develop this game.
I can't show you specific length of single play mode, 'cuz we're still tuning this game.
But you can estimate the total length of single play mode, by my saying above
December 15, 2014

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
(question about fps and resolution): Eugene, we always did/do our best. spec is still
jack-in-the-box
December 11 at 6:28am

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
(question: "who's the composer?") very famous guy!
December 11 at 2:39am

Question: "Would you consider having a Beta for the online multiplayer for Devil's Third?"

Tomonobu Itagaki: "Jonathan, I take safe way. that's what i can say now"
Dec 5, 2014

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Hey everyone here, im sorry for beeing late to respond your posts. im concentrating to finial tuning, Devil's Third.
See you guys little bit later !!
Dec 4, 2014

Aiming in Devil's Third puts you into a first person camera, since it feels more natural for gamers used to shooting games.

This is a screenshot from the E3 build in June... good news for you guys here.
The amount of progress we've made since then will surprise anyone. Higher-quality textures, improved weapon and environment models, better lighting... it's looking completely different now.
November 30 at 12:52pm

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Jetzak, we have polished the graphic quality. Environment, characters, arms, AFVs, warbirds... everything. Totally different from E3 version. Plus, I've expanded playability of multi-play and solo-play, as my taste. Wait the next news!
November 24 at 9:59am ·

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Thanks Srecko, I agree.
Technically speaking, I had finished analysis of possibility of expansion about NG style game eight years ago. Even I never can add quick/precise shooting function to NG's program code. I'm talking as NG's chief architect. In other words, NG has no more payload to add such function. So, I had set NG2 as last round. I left my analysis for developers who remains in Tecmo. But it seems that they couldn't understand that. The history for the past six years proves it.

If you want to make/play hack 'n' slash which equip quick/precise shooting feature, you have to develop new game mechanism from scratch. So I decided what I do. That's Devil's Third.

Of course, I can equip ALL of NG taste entertainment to this brand new action shooter. So no worry. You guys can enjoy this game also as shooter also as hack 'n' slash.
I think this game mechanism is one of the goal of both genre.
November 24 at 12:23pm

From Itagaki facebook.

-----
ORIGINAL POST:
Gematsu edited the rough translation of Ita's facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/tomonobu.itagaki/posts/1500311260232987?pnref=story

I recently received lots of questions about Devil’s Third from my fans.

I’d like to speak about development status of Devil’s Third in my own words, to the extent that I am allowed.

1. Devil’s Third is a strong fusion between action games and shooters.
  2. Devil’s Third development is going smoothly. In other words, we finished editing the closing movie the other day.
  3. Devil’s Third will be released next year. Nintendo has already announced this in their press release.
  4. The scale of Devil’s Third‘s story mode is greater than that of Ninja Gaiden.
  5. Devil’s Third demolishes the standard of past console games in online multiplayer.
  6. Almost all specifications I wanted to do were implemented. I got an up-close look at the great forerunners Call of Duty, Battlefield, Gears of War, and my beloved Halo. On that basis, we added completely new level of playability that only we can create.
  7. Anyone can enjoy this game; from casual gamers to hard-core gamers. Let me put it this way. You guys can throw a fun party, or can kill each other in realistic war. You can play your heart out.
  8. This is all I can disclose to you today. I can’t tell you when the war will begin. It’s the way the world goes. I really want to tell you more, my fans waiting with crushing frustration.

It’s rough on a man!

Well, be patient just a little longer. Don’t miss it!

http://gematsu.com/2014/11/development-update-devils-third

Some bold words in there ;D

edit: if anyone wants a refresher, here's the E3 2014 Gamespot stage demo with Itagaki: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-devil-s-third/2300-6419467/ (youtube version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlv5CfVqhTI)and here's the Treehouse Live version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9PEEu7B7s8 and here's IGN's reveal interview also with some other singleplayer footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ndkwgr5eB8

Translated interview from August 7's Famitsu issue: http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/2014/09/thought-2014-09.html

Itagaki in front of the new Nintendo building in Kyoto:
149367_14906985445275j7u4c.jpg

bunch of gifs because why not:

Can I go ahead and dump some GIFs?

i1siUpqiDl6XD.gif

iYVL4FqCsGvh0.gif

iclII4U1gPXn7.gif

iWd9Eel8EEFWC.gif

ijKR3R8onV2Bf.gif

iAsNqmPjfxLl6.gif

ibgMssIGdJ0mWD.gif

iwzrVVaJzsoX6.gif

ic0MMMvPpcVFC.gif

ipef4FiLl46hH.gif

i7dkYAzz4V2NL.gif

ibchyWpxKu998s.gif

EhoaVash

Its nice to see Nintendo growing its online multiplayer games

Usually its just smash and kart which are online on Nintendo consoles .. But im glad they are expandinf .next year we get this which looks like it has pretty interesting online components and also splatoon

...lol for itgakis sake hope Nintendo doesn't push this under the bus like wonderful 101

Hexa

So:

It's definitely going to release next year.
A bunch of fluff that doesn't really give any new details on the game? Or are there details I'm missing?

Raptor

The game will suck and that will be the end of Itagaki as a Dev director...

.....Or the game will own and we all be jelly of WiiU owners :p

JDSN

Banned
I was expecting this update:

• Protagonist doesnt look like the king of the douches of the 90s

Still, the multiplayer modes and level creator looks insane.

The footage that was shown a few months back made it look pretty awful....

Im talking PS2 era "Tyme 2 Crymez:The Generic Street Shoot Em Up" style of gameplay.

HeeHo

I know everyone is underwhelmed by the game graphically but I am a pretty big Itagaki fan. I will be getting this day one. If he is suggesting that Devil's 3rd will be bigger the last two NG games he directed, well, both of them were pretty long.

RM8

I want to support stuff like Bayonetta or this so Nintendo keeps funding these impossibly nonsensical (financially) projects, but this is so not my kind of game... And neither is Bayonetta :x

I bought TW101, though!

TheMoon

The footage that was shown a few months back made it look pretty awful....

Im talking PS2 era "Tyme 2 Crymez:The Generic Street Shoot Em Up" style of gameplay.

You didn't see any of the multiplayer stuff, did you? If nothing else, that part is gonna be nuts!

I just find it funny that they're creating hype for the game, after seeing how much of an abomination it was during E3. To be fair though, I guess that was a while ago.

I was expecting this update:

• Protagonist doesnt look like the king of the douches of the 90s

Still, the multiplayer modes and level creator looks insane.

Yup, they need to redo the lead character's design, or at least allow for customization. Either way though, I'm buying day 1. Can't wait, I just hope it's fun since it's the other main reason I got my Wii U. I also hope it at least has some sort of multiplayer community.

MouldyK

I expect it to either be like Duke Nukem Forever, cheap and crappy...

OR...

...Earth Defence Force, cheap, but fun.

The only haters I've seen so far are the ones that are shallow and hate it for the graphics.

The only thing I didn't like when I saw the gameplay was the iffy camera, and the first person shooting portions which, in my opinion, should 100% be over the shoulder.

i'm sure I'll have fun with it as long as it's not a buggy broken mess, but daaaamn i feel like it'd tank sales-wise regardless of platform choice.

TEJ

Fuck this, I have complete faith in the master ninja himself. I hope that when it's released and it turns out to be Ninja Gaiden Black levels of good that delicious crow is served

Yes I am an Itagaki fanboy

Riposte

Putting aside any other concerns, I feel like the reality of the Wii U and the population size required to support an ambitious multiplayer are two aspects which are going to clash hard. I guess I'll just have to buy early and play enough for a lifetime during launch week. (Really though, I kind of wanted to hear the opposite of "we are almost done".)

Please be good ~

It's tough to judge a game that's so far out. A lot can change in 18 months of game development.

I remember seeing the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden trailer which was also shown 18 months before the game was eventually released. However it kind of undid my above point, because although it's a little static and seems very much like a tech demo, the game essentially looked like the final version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV9IT0EOxgw

I still have faith that Devil's Third will be a great action game.

weekev

Banned
Strangely looking forward to this game. The guy randomly throwing a sledgehammer at an enemy resonated with me, like its not just the usual class based MP FPS. Think its gonna be fun

NEO0MJ

I wonder what he means by scale.

Putting aside any other concerns, I feel like the reality of the Wii U and the population size required to support an ambitious multiplayer are two aspects which are going to clash hard. I guess I'll just have to buy early and play enough for a lifetime during launch week.

Yeah, this is really worrying. Hopefully we'll be able to organize enough matches here after the first few weeks.

cacildo

The only haters I've seen so far are the ones that are shallow and hate it for the graphics.

The only thing I didn't like when I saw the gameplay was the iffy camera, and the first person shooting portions which, in my opinion, should 100% be over the shoulder.

To be fair the single player seemed a bit like the corridor shooters we all hate because of the gameplay

But everytime he says something about the game i get a little more faith

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
then you must not have seen all prior interviews and all the released footage^^
Watched everything I could find after E3, read interviews published since. I was aware of the whole larger framework based on teams and locations in multiplayer. I was aware of the ranking system and the ability to build structures and customize maps.

Saw the videos with all the wacky colorful modes and costumes, and I know the producers backing this at Nintendo also worked on some of the company's more ambitious games. But I still thought this was aimed at being a project on the scale of a
new TimeSplitters, no more.

ShinMaruku

That would be Hayashi.

That's both. Who taught Hayashi? Itagaki. :p
NEVER has either of them said anything of worth. And Itagaki is the man who after watching a tourney match of DOA say "You got to mash the buttons faster"

These men have perfected dev talk where they say a whole bunch of nothing and they do for the most part evade debates and stuff.

Top Bottom