• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki gives small update on Devil's Third via Facebook

TheMoon

Putting aside any other concerns, I feel like the reality of the Wii U and the population size required to support an ambitious multiplayer are two aspects which are going to clash hard. I guess I'll just have to buy early and play enough for a lifetime during launch week. (Really though, I kind of wanted to hear the opposite of "we are almost done".)

Please be good ~

You can still jump online and play against people in multiplats on Wii U that came out over a year ago. Just did it today with SC: Blacklist, a game that bombed notoriously hard on all platforms, worst of all on Wii U.

Online population for an ambitious exclusive like this won't be an issue.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The game needs a shit ton of polish, but I dunno... I wanna believe the core of a good game is there. Even if the footage from E3 was rough.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I realllly hope the multiplayer for this doesn't die on it's arse.

The next Nintendo Direct will be a blast.

The accumulated filth of all their graphics and E3 presentations will foam up around their waists...and all the nonbelievers and game journalists will look up and shout "Save us!"

And The Devil's Third will whisper..."No"

That's both. Who taught Hayashi? Itagaki. :p
NEVER has either of them said anything of worth. And Itagaki is the man who after watching a tourney match of DOA say "You got to mash the buttons faster"

These men have perfected dev talk where they say a whole bunch of nothing and they do for the most part evade debates and stuff.

lol

looking forward to more of his comments on devil's third.

ShinMaruku

The man is a great shit talker and bell end. But never go to him pre-release for meaningful info. He won't say anything.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I realllly hope the multiplayer for this doesn't die on it's arse.

The next Nintendo Direct will be a blast.
I think this game's long term success will be influenced by the longevity of Splatoon and to a lesser extant Xenoblade X.

If Nintendo manage to bring out a few more big online multiplayer games (maybe a Monster Hunter 4 Wii U port ) that would be beneficial as well. They need to have a strong lineup of online exclusives that help sustain each other.

L Thammy

The game needs a shit ton of polish, but I dunno... I wanna believe the core of a good game is there. Even if the footage from E3 was rough.

Some of the videos were a lot better than others. I think the GameSpot video was the worst. But I saw another one where the player used a lot of slide kicks, weapon throws, and wall running. That looked a lot more fun. Honestly, I'm really wondering how Itagaki thinks the shooting is supposed to stack up to the melee combat.

Lernaean

Banned
Call me crazy, but I have faith in Itagaki + Nintendo´s overseers .

I think they´ll whip this game into shape.

I'm with you there. It did look rough on reveal, and a bit disappointing if i may add, but if i have faith in something, it's that Nintendo will make sure that the game they publish will not see release in an unfinished and unpolished state, and also i have faith in Itagaki to deliver the fun.

I think this game's long term success will be influenced by the longevity of Splatoon and to a lesser extant Xenoblade X.

If Nintendo manage to bring out a few more big online multiplayer games (maybe a Monster Hunter 4 Wii U port ) that would be beneficial as well. They need to have a strong lineup of online exclusives that help sustain each other.

Not really, the console simply is dead. Everything's gonna keep bombing except maybe a bunch of Mario cash ins that are still left (although they also finally fell off a cliff sales-wise). Just like 3rd parties also won't come back either, even if Nintendo had a strong lineup (which they don't, the droughts will never stop, already confirmed by the last Direct), equally, there wouldn't be a audience for this out of nowhere either, only because some minority likes to hype Splatoon (or recently Bayonetta, which to no surprise still bombed). And with a game like DT, not even backed up by a single niche, an ultra bomb is incoming, no matter what. The only hope for most titles really is if Nintendo manages to bring out a platform people actually want to play on in 2016 and then throw a bunch of definitive versions at it.

Lernaean

Banned
Not really, the console simply is dead. Everything's gonna keep bombing except maybe a bunch of Mario cash ins that are still left (although they also finally fell off a cliff sales-wise). Just like 3rd parties also won't come back either, even if Nintendo had a strong lineup (which they don't, the droughts will never stop, already confirmed by the last Direct), equally, there wouldn't be a audience for this out of nowhere either, only because some minority likes to hype Splatoon (or recently Bayonetta, which to no surprise still bombed). And with a game like DT, not even backed up by a single niche, an ultra bomb is incoming, no matter what. The only hope for most titles really is if Nintendo manages to bring out a platform people actually want to play on in 2016 and then throw a bunch of definitive versions at it.

/violin.

Exile20

This shit everytime. So tired of hearing it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think this will get EDF 2017 levels of awesomeness, it wont be as polished as COD etc, but I am predicting great online chaotic and awesome MP.

if this is coming out in PAL land I will get this

TheMoon

I think this will get EDF 2017 levels of awesomeness, it wont be as polished as COD etc, but I am predicting great online chaotic and awesome MP.

if this is coming out in PAL land I will get this

why the "if?" there's no need for an "if."

tebunker

Banned
This shit everytime. So tired of hearing it.

Dude just has his rote responses in note pad for every WiiU related thread.

Whatever.

After I saw the MP trailer on this I knew I was in. It looks like the kind of MP game where you could get 3 or 4 friends to go in on it and not have to stop until the servers are shut off.

TheMoon

I just rewatched the E3 Treehouse Live demo and got hyped all over again.

Despite the obvious early-stage jank and lack of polish, I think this looks really promising, even in singleplayer. Main dude is quite mobile, being able to climb and jump all around the level. That pretty much kills the stale "corridor shooter" concerns since you get a lot of variety between different heights and multiple paths you can take.

Another thing I noticed is that transition between melee and first person-aiming appears to only "look" jarring to observers (non-players) like us. The person playing the game during the demos does not seem to have any issues or suffer from disorientation when switching. The game seems to point you directly at what your crosshair was centered on before you went into first person, meaning if you aimed at the dude in the back behind the pillar, you will aim directly at that same spot once you switch to your first person iron sights view. I doubt they'd have left it this way if it didn't work in spite of how odd it looks since they were actively playtesting this thing already. Seems like one of the first things you'd try to nail.

Anyway, this really got excited all over again about the potential this game has.

I just rewatched the E3 Treehouse Live demo and got hyped all over again.

Despite the obvious early-stage jank and lack of polish, I think this looks really promising, even in singleplayer. Main dude is quite mobile, being able to climb and jump all around the level. That pretty much kills the stale "corridor shooter" concerns since you get a lot of variety between different heights and multiple paths you can take.

Another thing I noticed is that transition between melee and first person-aiming appears to only "look" jarring to observers (non-players) like us. The person playing the game during the demos does not seem to have any issues or suffer from disorientation when switching. The game seems to point you directly at what your crosshair was centered on before you went into first person, meaning if you aimed at the dude in the back behind the pillar, you will aim directly at that same spot once you switch to your first person iron sights view. I doubt they'd have left it this way if it didn't work in spite of how odd it looks since they were actively playtesting this thing already. Seems like one of the first things you'd try to nail.

Anyway, this really got excited all over again about the potential this game has.
What I've assumed is that the instant transition will be to make shooting part of combos, having a slow drag to ADS might break the flow.

Neiteio

Putting aside any other concerns, I feel like the reality of the Wii U and the population size required to support an ambitious multiplayer are two aspects which are going to clash hard. I guess I'll just have to buy early and play enough for a lifetime during launch week. (Really though, I kind of wanted to hear the opposite of "we are almost done".)

Please be good ~
Yeah, kind of reminds me of how Platinum titles don't sell much, and how to properly enjoy Anarchy Reigns, you really had to be there in the first few months when all of the modes were getting decent player counts.

Man, Anarchy Reign was so fun. ;_;

I'm really pulling for this game to be good. I want it to succeed. I want this kind of game to thrive on the Wii U so that Nintendo see's that there's an audience for it and that they should be pushing for more genre variety in their lineups.

The multiplayer trailer sold me on it. So many modes. It just looks like it's supposed to be fun. I love that. So long as it doesn't suck, I'm in on day 1.

Lernaean

Banned
Yeah, kind of reminds me of how Platinum titles don't sell much, and how to properly enjoy Anarchy Reigns, you really had to be there in the first few months when all of the modes were getting decent player counts.

Man, Anarchy Reign was so fun. ;_;

It was. Probably the most ambitious online brawler. And it was ignored by everyone sadly.

jimi_dini

KZdsdGG.gif

Chicken powerup. GOTY confirmed.

zQ85YqH.gif

Jotthah

It really doesn't. At all. Look at a PS2 game.
let it be. that statement is memeworthy by now.

lookong forward to this because of Itagaki. The comment about how casuals can enjoy this makes me wonder what the difficulty will be like. Sure would be fun not to suck all the way through like I do with most action games

UrbanRats

Man.. this dude did Ninja Gaiden Black, but goddamn if this doesn't look like garbage.
And i'm not even talking about the graphics, i mean, everything looks so stiff and clunky.

I hope they'll surprise me with it.

Really excited for this game, but I'm kind of hoping it is a 2016 release. The E3 build was VERY rough and I'm hoping Itagaki can give it the proper polish, but if he does this could be Nintendo's CoD-killer.

It's alright man -pat pat- I'll buy it. Better?

NateDog

Still, the multiplayer modes and level creator looks insane.

Yup. When I watched this at E3 I thought "wtf is this shit" and thought it looked awful, but the multiplayer literally looks insane, I can see myself having some crazy fun with it. However:
Day 1.... since the online will be dead like a week after release. Goddamn this will bomb hard, despite looking great.
I also fear yet predict this.

Porcile

I'm buying. I expect No More Heroes quality from it. Totally rough around the edges but very fun core gameplay.

Top Bottom