• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki gives small update on Devil's Third via Facebook

Some one posted the multiplayer E3 video and he saud:

Tomonobu Itagaki thanks, user ?! Current version is much better than this footage. wait the SHOW DOWN.

duckroll

I hope for Itagaki's sake it's not just talk. Would love to see the game have a total turnaround the next time they show it. He has a lot riding on this game.

sooWoo!

Banned
While I'm already sold on the game and don't really expect a major turnaround presentation-wise, I do think it'd be hilarious if they re-reveal it and it's a drastic overhaul that just blows everyone away. Wii U saved, nonbelievers begging for forgiveness in the streets, etc

Really not a fan of the total silence from Nintendo though. I understand Itagaki isn't legally allowed to say anything at the moment but the total lack of acknowledgement sucks. I get it had a "poor showing" at E3 and they probably want to (attempt to) reintroduce it to a warmer reception but c'mon Nintendo.....give us a taste

EDIT: quoted for new page
Hoping that it gets that "Nintendo polish".

KyleCross

I remember really looking forward to this when we got that initial trailer from back in the day... then we were reintroduced years later with that Wii-U E3 footage. If the final game doesn't look at least 50% better than that then... I can't say I'll want to play it. Beyond being unpolished it looked super bland in pretty much all fields.

Meesh

I hope for Itagaki's sake it's not just talk. Would love to see the game have a total turnaround the next time they show it. He has a lot riding on this game.
I misread sake as Sake(sah-kay) lol, well it is an Itagaki thread :3 Biggest game of his career...coolest bald protagonist ever...all right, I'm in.

I just really want the game to run smooth and bug free. If they pull that off, then a graphical upgrade is a pure bonus. I'm dying for another MP shooter on my Wii U. I still believe in you Itagaki-san.

Gabe3208

Banned
I remember really looking forward to this when we got that initial trailer from back in the day... then we were reintroduced years later with that Wii-U E3 footage. If the final game doesn't look at least 50% better than that then... I can't say I'll want to play it. Beyond being unpolished it looked super bland in pretty much all fields.

I agree, if you lookup the trailer for the PS3 version, and then watch the trailer for the Wii U version, it does seem bland.

I seem to remember the protagonist not being bald at all before the transition to Wii U was announced.
You're right. And he looked less generic as well:
Devils-Third-Gameplay.jpg

DThird3.jpg

_Clash_

Indications are that Nintendo gave Itagaki all the time and resources he needed.

Ball is in Itagaki and Unreal Engine's 3 hands now.

I still feel the game mechanic has the scope to be a winner.

Mikel1015

Banned
After all this info, not one screenshot or anything has been revealed since E3. I know he said graphics, animations and such have been greatly improved, but I just want to see something. I wonder when is the earliest we'll get footage

_Clash_

I think the game will be fun to play which should be the most important thing as long as we have a smooth framerate. As far as Unreal 3 I have NEVER been a fan but I hope they worked hard with the Wii U hardware to give us a surprise at the next showing.

I'm hoping for uncapped 60FPS ala Bayonetta 2 and 720p.

No idea how the Wii U architecture compliments Unreal Engine 3.

TriBlade

I'm hoping for uncapped 60FPS ala Bayonetta 2 and 720p.

No idea how the Wii U architecture compliments Unreal Engine 3.

The Unreal Engine always have this clay/plastic look to them that I don't like.

They need to hurry up and release a new trailer.

Ivan looks like a generic madden create a player. Everything we've seen from Devil's Third has looked bland to outright terrible, not sure why some were hyping the game so much or putting blind faith in the dev. I want to see a new build because I was getting red steel vibes at E3; just another overhyped 3rd party game on a system that craves shooters that ends up being ass.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If this ends up a hot mess, it will be a hot mess that I own. We must support our heroes, even in troubled times.

(Sorry Mikami, I made some vows about Bethesda)

Ivan looks like a generic madden create a player. Everything we've seen from Devil's Third has looked bland to outright terrible, not sure why some were hyping the game so much or putting blind faith in the dev. I want to see a new build because I was getting red steel vibes at E3; just another overhyped 3rd party game on a system that craves shooters that ends up being ass.

Because Ninja Gaiden. Besides, rough as the footage looked, I thought the game itself looked great fun.

cacildo

I really dont get this game

- Footage shows bland shooter gameplay. But Itagaki says its totally different from everything

- Footage shows meh graphics. Itagaki says the final game is "almost completely different than the footage you picked up"

- No release date in sight. But Itagaki says the game is done

- Basically: we see one thing, Itagaki says everything will be different. Is it possible? Last footage shown was from E3 2014, eight months ago. Is it possible for the game to be that changed in that time?

And then comes the release date problem. I wish this game was out now, but i bet Nintendo feels that this kind of game could hurt both Splatoon and Xenoblade X sales.... probably because Nintendo firmly believes every wiiU owner can buy only one game every six months (its true in my case, but not to everybody else)

Litri

Indications are that Nintendo gave Itagaki all the time and resources he needed.

Ball is in Itagaki and Unreal Engine's 3 hands now.

I still feel the game mechanic has the scope to be a winner.

That is the problem. UE3 doesn't seems to perform at a good level on Wii U.

On the other hand, the multiplayer side of the game looks like it's going to be cool.

duckroll

That is the problem. UE3 doesn't seems to perform at a good level on Wii U.

On the other hand, the multiplayer side of the game looks like it's going to be cool.

I think the multiplayer is a huge concern actually. The way it has been described and shown so far, it feels like a concept which is designed to be supported by a healthy and lasting online userbase. Considering the sort of title this is, and the platform it is on, unfortunately that seems like a somewhat unrealistic goal. I wonder if there's any contingency plan in the event where there isn't an active online userbase.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've been playing FIFA Wii U online for over 2 years every night (1400 online matches so far). I usually find an opponent in 15 seconds, and I'm sure the game didn't sell well: we are only 11k online players, but it's a very active community.

From that picture, first dude looks like a combination of Solid Snake and Wolverine. Get that shit outta here. Bald dude actually seems kinda cool with his random drumming and whatnot.

Dice

What I expect from this game is to be a Japanese shooter completely misunderstood by the West. Very similar to RE6 in level of being misunderstood and under-appreciated, but perhaps two levels greater in terms of what is possible in the game mechanics and room for mastery. For those who have loved these kind of games before, it will probably be wonderful. We are going to get some crazy ass blend of RE6, SOCOM, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Timesplitters, and Metal Gear. We will also be starting out with the megamix version instead of building up to that level of content and insanity over time. I hope you are all ready for that. This game will somehow be everything that is classic and nothing that is conventional.

maxmars

I think the multiplayer is a huge concern actually. The way it has been described and shown so far, it feels like a concept which is designed to be supported by a healthy and lasting online userbase. Considering the sort of title this is, and the platform it is on, unfortunately that seems like a somewhat unrealistic goal. I wonder if there's any contingency plan in the event where there isn't an active online userbase.

I play COD Black Ops II almost daily and there's always more than a thousand players online (when I was playing yesterday there were 14 hundred). I'm not worried in the least. Also, this game cannot be played on other platforms, so people who want to play it are going to do it on Wii U.

Dice

I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to compare the potential online community for this with the biggest console online community in gaming history.

duckroll

I've been playing FIFA Wii U online for over 2 years every night (1400 online matches so far). I usually find an opponent in 15 seconds, and I'm sure the game didn't sell well: we are only 11k online players, but it's a very active community.

I play COD Black Ops II almost daily and there's always more than a thousand players online (when I was playing yesterday there were 14 hundred). I'm not worried in the least. Also, this game cannot be played on other platforms, so people who want to play it are going to do it on Wii U.

FIFA and CoD are some of the biggest franchise worldwide though. Even with a much smaller userbase on WiiU, it's going to be more significant than niche stuff. Comparing stuff like that with this game seems a bit inappropriate?

TheMoon

I really dont get this game

- Footage shows bland shooter gameplay. But Itagaki says its totally different from everything

- Footage shows meh graphics. Itagaki says the final game is "almost completely different than the footage you picked up"

- No release date in sight. But Itagaki says the game is done

The footage didn't show bland shooter gameplay at all. Maybe the visuals and locations looked bland, that is a fair complaint but the gameplay wasn't bland by any stretch of the imagination. You're very mobile, able to scale up walls and climb on top/over things plus you got this unique blend of shooting and melee sword slashing which includes sword-throwing even. This is anything but bland.

Itagaki said the game is close to done. It might be done by now (done = content complete). Fact is the game has been rated in Australia and Europe (PEGI only so far).

Devil´s Third |OT| The bald man is cool!!

I hope this game is crazy fun.

Right now I'm leaning towards "The Perfect Bald Man"

FIFA and CoD are some of the biggest franchise worldwide though. Even with a much smaller userbase on WiiU, it's going to be more significant than niche stuff. Comparing stuff like that with this game seems a bit inappropriate?

Online for several games is still alive on the platform. Every mp being dead on the system by default is a false assumption. In practice, you can often still hop onto even fairly old games like ME3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, NFSMWU, AssCreed and find people to play against without much waiting. That has been my experience. I see absolutely no problem in this area for Devil's Third.

maxmars

Sure it is. But it's not like people are drowning in WiiU games and especially not in mature audience WiiU games. If they're already playing COD on WiiU instead of somewhere else, chances are they are going to be interested in this. It's up to Nintendo to reach them.
lol

Honestly with how quickly multiplayer dies on most titles (except the major ones) on any platform I don't think Devil's Third would have a better chance at cultivating a good player on another platform. At least on Wii U the lack of options puts a bit of a spotlight on the title.

With that said the chance on Wii U is still very, very small that a solid player base will form. This isn't a simple case of Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and CTF. The multiplayer suite is very robust with multiple geographic areas, clans and various levels and unlocks.

The multiplayer portion highly resembles a free-to-play game and that's what I think it should be. The customization options and chance for faster experience provide monetization options. It isn't like you couldn't sell a physical product as well.

Simply sell the game physically for $40/$50. It has a full single-player mode and time attack options per level. Give those who buy this version bonuses like exclusive cosmetic items and/or 50% faster XPS gain.

It'll will probably sell the same amount as the hardcore fans who are interested (like myself) will buy the game regardless. The amount of the extra $10/$20 after retail could probably be covered by microtransactions of a much larger base. Free-to-Play games make money.

Project Treasure by Namco makes me feel Nintendo is open to this idea. As from the glimpses of characters it looks like that game is also going for a realistic style in free-to-play form.

I've been saying it should be free-to-play since it's reveal (I will buy the release day 1 regardless) to create a good base. All my Club Nintendo surveys have that written in them.

I have been thinking of doing a thread on my thoughts on this. Basically what I just wrote but more elaborate and actually proofread.

Dice

That list reminds me how Tipping Stars looks cool (and cross-buy for once) but if it was like Donkey Kong 94 with similar level-making features I'd probably clear out everything to make room for it. I also didn't know Yoshi's Woolly World was confirmed for first half. I was worried it got mega-delayed.

Top Bottom