• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki gives small update on Devil's Third via Facebook

_Clash_

Keen for this.

Update and comments from the man himself suggests he plans to deliver.

Any third person online shooter competition first half 2015?

TheMoon

new update:

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
hahaha, my games are made of liquor.
December 15, 2014
^I felt this was important. lol

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
(question asks if DT has a full-on singleplayer campaign because "Manuel" doesn't play online a lot)
Manuel, thanks for good question.
We made this game for single play(campaign) and online online multiplay gamers. 'Cuz I know I have to respond to expectations by both gamers. So, in fact, we invested double amount of resources than general development in this industry, to accomplish to develop this game.
I can't show you specific length of single play mode, 'cuz we're still tuning this game.
But you can estimate the total length of single play mode, by my saying above
December 15, 2014

benzy

It's cool Itagaki's become more communicative with fans. He's actually very good at English.

Slowly getting my hype back up for this game, but I still can't get over the bad graphical artstyle.

devil%E2%80%99s-third-2.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's cool Itagaki's become more communicative with fans. He's actually very good at English.

Slowly getting my hype back up for this game, but I still can't get over the bad graphical artstyle.

He sounds super enthustiastic too, must feel good to have your project scooped up by Nintendo and having been given a budget that allows you to realise your game. Can't wait to see it show up again at the next E3.

_Clash_

Anyone think this game could be released before Splatoon.

In the recent past I've felt Nintendo has released a feeder game before a big first party title to try and build a bigger possible market.

So, Devil's Third gets the third person shooter ball rolling, gets the bayonetta 2 guys maybe interested, the Itagaki fans interested, the Gaiden fans etc. All firing up their console. Handful grab a Wii U.

Couple months later Splatoon lands and that has some appeal to those demographics.

Anyways, Itagaki is hyping this up. He must be confident in the product.

I want a cult classic. Gimme.

synce

some smaller updates, nothing too exciting:

so res/fps not locked down yet and they can't reveal the composer yet.

All of his previous games were 60fps except for DOAX2 so I think that's a good bet

But if they're already finalizing the game I wish they'd show some new footage. It's been too long

RM8

Do you guys think the shooting parts will be forced, or can this be played as an action game? Because I'd consider it if I could ignore the FPS part, lol.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Do you guys think the shooting parts will be forced, or can this be played as an action game? Because I'd consider it if I could ignore the FPS part, lol.

You can play it as a Hack-&-Slash or Shooter game or both, however you want, AFAIK.

Neiteio

I see a ton of promise here. Just keep refining the technical performance and presentation, and this could be something really special.

Neiteio

wait to we see the next showing... he has said everything looks better so much almost like a new game.
Even if it keeps the old style, I think it's kind of charming in a "tribute to the PS2" sort of way. And I don't even mean that as a backhanded compliment. I mean it legit gives me nostalgic feels for the PS2/GCN/Xbox era. It's not the quality, but rather something about the style.

TheMoon

I can't be the only one who finds all those non answers by Itagaki discouraging.

How so? You do know there is a PR plan and that he can't just spill exact details that have not officially been announced. What else is he supposed to do. Be glad that he does give "non-answers" and tries to vaguely answer such inquiries as best as he can.

Porcile

If there's one thing I've discovered from this thread is that don't request a famous person as friend, lest they actually accept you and your Facebook feed is forever filled up with loads of utter bollocks in a completely different language. I had to unfollow Itagaki in the end.

@MUWANdo

Banned
How so? You do know there is a PR plan and that he can't just spill exact details that have not officially been announced. What else is he supposed to do. Be glad that he does give "non-answers" and tries to vaguely answer such inquiries as best as he can.

That's true, but it wouldn't be such an issue if he wasn't partnered with a publisher (Nintendo) that's notoriously tight-lipped and often reluctant to reveal basic details and features of its games until weeks from release. Do you really want them to do to this game what they did to W101?

cacildo

Im perfectly fine with those graphics if the game is good

in fact i could easily deal with worst graphics for a great game. The graphics we have since the ps3 days far more than enough. We just need gameplay to get better

TheMoon

That's true, but it wouldn't be such an issue if he wasn't partnered with a publisher (Nintendo) that's notoriously tight-lipped and often reluctant to reveal basic details and features of its games until weeks from release. Do you really want them to do to this game what they did to W101?

What? Let people play it, show it off to the press then have an amazing dedicated Nintendo Direct followed by a demo and a PAX panel where you can get the game a few weeks early? Yea, sure!

Ninja Dom

Ivan and the art style get a hard time.

B grade action is A OK in my book

Ivan isn't the hero us Ninja Gaiden fans were expecting. Itagaki has created some wonderful characters among the Ninja Gaiden & Dead or Alive cast but this Ivan guy isn't to my liking. It seems like he's been decided upon to impress the "dudebro" loving guys with the bald head, muscles, tattoos and sunglasses.

_Clash_

Ivan isn't the hero us Ninja Gaiden fans were expecting. Itagaki has created some wonderful characters among the Ninja Gaiden & Dead or Alive cast but this Ivan guy isn't to my liking. It seems like he's been decided upon to impress the "dudebro" loving guys with the bald head, muscles, tattoos and sunglasses.

It could be.

To my tastes it sort of looks like a parody of itself in tone.

A little bit like True Lies by James Cameron I guess.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

PR is designed to create excitement for a product. For me, some of the messaging has had the opposite effect. I remain interested in Devil's Third because of the team behind it and because Nintendo are lending a hand. The multiplayer videos at E3 looked fun, and I really want this game to play smoothly in order to maintain that fun, which is why stuff like not being able to comment on resolution or frame rate worries me. I'm not familiar with Itagaki's style of hyping his games, so maybe I'm misinterpreting, but at times it sounds like he's "covering up", for lack of a better term.

I just feel like there's a lot of confusion about this game, which makes it difficult to set any kind of realistic expectation of what it actually is. For me it raises concerns that the end product will be unfocused and feel unfinished.

TheMoon

The multiplayer videos at E3 looked fun, and I really want this game to play smoothly in order to maintain that fun, which is why stuff like not being able to comment on resolution or frame rate worries me. I'm not familiar with Itagaki's style of hyping his games, so maybe I'm misinterpreting, but at times it sounds like he's "covering up", for lack of a better term.

I just feel like there's a lot of confusion about this game, which makes it difficult to set any kind of realistic expectation of what it actually is. For me it raises concerns that the end product will be unfocused and feel unfinished.

How is he "covering up" if it's simply not done and locked down yet since this is exactly the thing they're working on right now in the polishing phase. "It currently runs at 53fps" is worthless information to you right now. It matters what the final gold master runs at.

Also why is there confusion? What is confusing about it?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How is he "covering up" if it's simply not done and locked down yet since this is exactly the thing they're working on right now in the polishing phase. "It currently runs at 53fps" is worthless information to you right now. It matters what the final gold master runs at.

Also why is there confusion? What is confusing about it?

Not saying it's on purpose, and I certainly don't blame Itagaki for not wanting to release details that aren't fixed yet.

Personally, after a lot of comments (by fellow GAFers among others) about how hard it is to do anything over a solid 30 fps on Unreal Engine 3, I'd welcome a statement like "it currently runs at 53 fps"!. I'm not looking for finalized details, just general ballpark stuff.

Also, anything that would give a better understanding of what the team are aiming for, in terms of vision would be helpful. That's the part I find confusing. This game seems to have everything, and usually when you try to do too much you end up with a less than stellar product. I'd like to better understand what the development team consider the essence of the experience, and what they consider cool but non-essential add on content.

I assume the game is finished and it'll be a Bayonetta 2 situation where they just sit on it for months so they can release it at a convenient time in the Wii U release schedule

That happened?
If I'm not mistaken, reviewers got copies a month before it's Japanese release, which was about a month before its western release.

Disclaimer: I'm merely going from what I've read on GAF, but I remember people saying that the demos shown at trade shows were the finished game. I wouldn't be surprised, seeing as it's not like there's any difference between preview footage since E3 and the final product.

Ninja Dom

I assume the game is finished and it'll be a Bayonetta 2 situation where they just sit on it for months so they can release it at a convenient time in the Wii U release schedule

If that's the case then let it sit in the Mario Club (Nintendo's internal QA team) being tested the shit out of, ironing out every possible bug and tweaking the difficulty.

If I'm not mistaken, reviewers got copies a month before it's Japanese release, which was about a month before its western release.

Disclaimer: I'm merely going from what I've read on GAF, but I remember people saying that the demos shown at trade shows were the finished game. I wouldn't be surprised, seeing as it's not like there's any difference between preview footage since E3 and the final product.
Yeah, reviewers in Europe got it about that early.

I believe the reasoning is they wanted people to take their time and learn the game, but it also probably had to do with release timing.

Yeah, reviewers in Europe got it about that early.

I believe the reasoning is they wanted people to take their time and learn the game, but it also probably had to do with release timing.
Thanks for the clarification!

Either way, hopefully Devil's Third is re-revealed to some better reception. I really don't believe the claims of graphical overhauls but who knows... I'm sure Nintendo (and the team at Valhalla) was made well aware of the response to the E3 2014 reveal.

I honestly would be fine if it looked similar to what they showed then, as long as it controls tight. But hey, graphics!

DizzyCrow

After Hyrule Warriors I want even more a Zelda solo adventure, a Zelda/Sheik game from Itagaki would be amazing, add Impa and it would be the GOAT.

Top Bottom