• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki gives small update on Devil's Third via Facebook

From Itagaki facebook.

fuckinit82u6p.gif

batbeg

Having never played an Itagaki game before, the initial trailer for this just looked -FUN- to play. Digging its sense of humor too, will keep a close eye in this. Glad to hear the graphics have improved considerably since.

This is me, basically. Game looks so fun I can ignore the roughness.

I think the Wii U is looking like a surprisingly good console for online gamers.

- Mario Kart 8
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Splatoon
- Devil's Third
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (the zombie mode is phenomenal)
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (has potential to have good online)
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

Also, contrary to popular belief, all the games mentioned above that are released always have a constant number of people online. Considering the tiny amount of people who bought them, the online communities of the games are surprisingly robust.

E-phonk

Banned
Single player doesn't seem that interesting to me, but the MP could be fun. I hope this game has local co-op as a feature , with one player on the screen and one on the gamepad.

nampad

I think the Wii U is looking like a surprisingly good console for online gamers.

- Mario Kart 8
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Splatoon
- Devil's Third
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (the zombie mode is phenomenal)
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (has potential to have good online)
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

Also, contrary to popular belief, all the games mentioned above that are released always have a constant number of people online. Considering the tiny amount of people who bought them, the online communities of the games are surprisingly robust.

Your definition of good is funny.
3 of the listed games aren't even released yet and the quality is not certain. 2 of them are old and have newer versions on the other consoles (I don't count MH because it is only available in Japan). Compare that to the other consoles and good sounds kind of funny.

Sojgat

These two gifs sold me so hard during E3.

This is gonna be the next RE6 in terms of reception. I can feel it.

I think you're probably right.

E3 demos showed that it can be played very much like a cover shooter, yet there is obviously a lot of hidden depth they didn't really show off.

DizzyCrow

Your definition of good is funny.
3 of the listed games aren't even released yet and the quality is not certain. 2 of them are old and have never versions on the other consoles (I don't count MH because it is only available in Japan). Compare that to the other consoles and good sounds kind of funny.

It's available in all regions.

cacildo

I really dont have enough money for all the wiiu games i want next year

Luckly i dont like kirby (but THIS kirby looks great)

nampad

... but he listed Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate.

Umm.... 4 is not released outside of 3ds though.

What's with the confusion? He listed CoD: Black Ops 2 and NFS: Most Wanted and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as games that show the Wii U is good for online gamers.
I mentioned that his lists contains 2 old games which have newer versions out on other consoles/platforms (CoD and NFS) and didn't mention MH because there is no alternative to play MH online in the west.

If we take out all games that aren't released yet and had had sequels, his list would span 2-3 games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, I missed this update:

Aiming in Devil's Third puts you into a first person camera, since it feels more natural for gamers used to shooting games.

This is a screenshot from the E3 build in June... good news for you guys here.
The amount of progress we've made since then will surprise anyone. Higher-quality textures, improved weapon and environment models, better lighting... it's looking completely different now.

That sounds great. I can't wait to see more of it. And with Itagaki making it sounds like they're almost over with development the game might come out sooner than I thought.

TheMoon

Tomonobu Itagaki responding to a comment on his FB said:
: Chris, buttons/levers assignment were changed from E3 version. Plus, HUD's UI was changed, too.

he seems to interact with people a lot, really refreshing!

I really, really hope the transition between first and third person got smoother... it was looking abysmal at the E3 reveal.

See, as I mentioned before, I don't think it actually feels as bizarre as it looked when actually playing. The transition appears jarring to passive onlookers but to the player, it might seem perfectly fine since, as you can see in the video, you point the reticle at your desired target, then go into gun mode and the gun's crosshair/reticle will stay there. This means you don't get disoriented or lose your target in the transition. It should be really smooth. I'm expecting them to release a demo for this, actually. I think the aiming transition will turn out fine.

Btw, here's a pic of Itagaki standing in front of the new Nintendo building in Kyoto.

149367_14906985445275j7u4c.jpg

What's with the confusion? He listed CoD: Black Ops 2 and NFS: Most Wanted and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as games that show the Wii U is good for online gamers.
I mentioned that his lists contains 2 old games which have newer versions out on other consoles/platforms (CoD and NFS) and didn't mention MH because there is no alternative to play MH online in the west.

If we take out all games that aren't released yet and had had sequels, his list would span 2-3 games.

Apparently you have problems with reading comprehension. People have corrected you multiple times now. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is available for Wii U in all regions with online play in all regions. Even the Capcom-Unity people regularly do MH3U livestreams. What don't you get there?

Besides, what does it matter that CoD and NFS have newer versions out? That has no bearing on the fact that those old games have viable communities on Wii U still and are also good. That was the only point of the original poster who brought it up. That those games are good and have players. That is all.

I'm skeptical of this game cuz it looks kinda bad, but I can't deny I'm excited to see another Itagaki joint after so many years.

L Thammy

I think you're confusing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (which is on Wii U, was listed, and available in all regions) with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (which is not on Wii U as of yet, was not listed, and is only out in Japan right now).

TheMoon

He responds to comments a lot. Here are more nuggets:

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Jetzak, we have polished the graphic quality. Environment, characters, arms, AFVs, warbirds... everything. Totally different from E3 version. Plus, I've expanded playability of multi-play and solo-play, as my taste. Wait the next news!
November 24 at 9:59am ·

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Thanks Srecko, I agree.
Technically speaking, I had finished analysis of possibility of expansion about NG style game eight years ago. Even I never can add quick/precise shooting function to NG's program code. I'm talking as NG's chief architect. In other words, NG has no more payload to add such function. So, I had set NG2 as last round. I left my analysis for developers who remains in Tecmo. But it seems that they couldn't understand that. The history for the past six years proves it.

If you want to make/play hack 'n' slash which equip quick/precise shooting feature, you have to develop new game mechanism from scratch. So I decided what I do. That's Devil's Third.

Of course, I can equip ALL of NG taste entertainment to this brand new action shooter. So no worry. You guys can enjoy this game also as shooter also as hack 'n' slash.
I think this game mechanism is one of the goal of both genre.
November 24 at 12:23pm

Tomonobu Itagaki said:
Hey everyone here, im sorry for beeing late to respond your posts. im concentrating to finial tuning, Devil's Third.
See you guys little bit later !!
4 hrs ·

ozfunghi

The way Bayonetta 2 looked caught me off guard when I was done with Bayonetta 1, because I thought it would look like a PS360 game ported to WiiU, but instead it looked like it took advantage of the WiiU, it had that WiiU look where the lighting and textures are unexpectedly striking (I had the same reaction when I played Hyrule Warriors, where the textures and lighting were better than when compared to, say, the announcement trailer.) So I hope to have a similar reaction to the Devil's Third.

I agree 100%. I played the demo, and thought it looked great. Then i started with Bayonetta 1 and finished it before diving into Bayo2. Only then did i notice the immense visual upgrade that Bayo2 is. And it's not just the far more colorful art.

nampad

Apparently you have problems with reading comprehension. People have corrected you multiple times now. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is available for Wii U in all regions with online play in all regions. Even the Capcom-Unity people regularly do MH3U livestreams. What don't you get there?

Besides, what does it matter that CoD and NFS have newer versions out? That has no bearing on the fact that those old games have viable communities on Wii U still and are also good. That was the only point of the original poster who brought it up. That those games are good and have players. That is all.

HAHA you are one to talk about reading comprehension. I didn't say anything about MH3U, I said that his listing of MH3U is legit because MH4 is not released in the west or else it would be the same case as CoD or NFS: MW.

I see that my sentence about MH could be misunderstood when peole don't do simple maths. As it is in parenthesis, it clearly makes reference to what is in front of it and there I only write 2 games (1+1: CoD and NFS).

Thing is, he says the Wii U is a good platform for online gamers and I differ. How can you call it good when the others are much better for online gamers? The fact that they actually get newer versions of popular online games is important to that fact.

I think you're confusing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (which is on Wii U, was listed, and available in all regions) with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (which is not on Wii U as of yet, was not listed, and is only out in Japan right now).

Not sure if people just don't try to understand or whatever.

- Mario Kart 8 fine
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U fine
- Splatoon unreleased
- Devil's Third unreleased
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate fine, though MH4 is available in Japan for 3DS as a newer alternative. Because it is only available in Japan, it is FINE
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (the zombie mode is phenomenal) old game which has 2 sequels already
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (has potential to have good online) unreleased
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U old game with a sequel available

TheMoon

HAHA you are one to talk about reading comprehension. I didn't say anything about MH3U, I said that his listing of MH3U is legit because MH4 is not released in the west or else it would be the same case as CoD or NFS: MW.

I see that my sentence about MH could be misunderstood when peole don't do simple maths. As it is in parenthesis, it clearly makes reference to what is in front of it and there I only write 2 games (1+1: CoD and NFS).

Thing is, he says the Wii U is a good platform for online gamers and I differ. How can you call it good when the others are much better for online gamers? The fact that they actually get newer versions of popular online games is important to that fact.

Not sure if people just don't try to understand or whatever.

- Mario Kart 8 fine
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U fine
- Splatoon unreleased
- Devil's Third unreleased
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate fine, though MH4 is available in Japan for 3DS as a newer alternative. Because it is only available in Japan, it is FINE
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (the zombie mode is phenomenal) old game which has 2 sequels already
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (has potential to have good online) unreleased
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U old game with a sequel available

You express yourself poorly. You kept saying "MH" and only referring to MH4 specifically once in a post I missed. You're pretending the 3DS-exclusive MH4U overrides MH3U's quality online experience on another platform.

You ask "how can you call it good when others are better." Because other being better is irrelevant. If we say pizza is good but hamburgers are better then the hamburgers being better has zero effect on the pizza being good. Does this make it clear? What other platforms offer is of no value in this discussion since all the original poster said was that Wii U is a good platform for online games. Not the best or even just better than some others. Simply good. The idea seems to have been to imply that it's better than people give it credit for (since it's the punchline of a lot of jokes I think that's not too surprising). At no point was it compared to other platforms until you came in saying other platforms have newer version of multiplatform games.

nampad

You express yourself poorly. You kept saying "MH" and only referring to MH4 specifically once in a post I missed. You're pretending the 3DS-exclusive MH4U overrides MH3U's quality online experience on another platform.

You ask "how can you call it good when others are better." Because other being better is irrelevant. If we say pizza is good but hamburgers are better then the hamburgers being better has zero effect on the pizza being good. Does this make it clear? What other platforms offer is of no value in this discussion since all the original poster said was that Wii U is a good platform for online games. Not the best or even just better than some others. Simply good. The idea seems to have been to imply that it's better than people give it credit for (since it's the punchline of a lot of jokes I think that's not too surprising). At no point was it compared to other platforms until you came in saying other platforms have newer version of multiplatform games.

In my opinion, it is a poor platform for online gamers and we were just talking about games so far without including features. Calling it good only shows low standards.
By the way, when people assess the quality of something, they normally compare it to its peers.

TheMoon

In my opinion, it is a poor platform for online gamers and we were just talking about games so far without including features. Calling it good only shows low standards.

What does it have to do with standards, though? The games available are of high quality with functional online experiences. The game not being suitable to someone's tastes is an entirely different matter. If one only is interested in the latest AAA multiplayer game, sure the platform isn't a good choice. But taken on its own merits, it offers a good online experiences across a variety of games both already out and will presumably keep that trend going for those coming next year.

This game actually looks amazing. Expected to release next year?

Read OP!

Zen Mu

That e3 build looked horrible IMO. That said, I'm 99% sure the final game will turn out to be quite good. Itagaki can be an jackass sometimes, but the man knows what he is doing when it comes to action games.

jmizzal

I really, really hope the transition between first and third person got smoother... it was looking abysmal at the E3 reveal.

I remember reading somewhere during E3 that it will be an option to not shot in 1st person and just stay in 3rd person

TheMoon

I remember reading somewhere during E3 that it will be an option to not shot in 1st person and just stay in 3rd person

was that a real interview or was that just someone making stuff up, though. the only appearances from Itagaki and even his producer guy I know of are those three videos I have linked in the OP, can't recall other interviews given that could have this info in them. The EDGE interview also didn't mention this.

jmizzal

was that a real interview or was that just someone making stuff up, though. the only appearances from Itagaki and even his producer guy I know of are those three videos I have linked in the OP, can't recall other interviews given that could have this info in them. The EDGE interview also didn't mention this.

They did a bunch of interviews during E3, I dont know if it was a video interview or in a article, I will look it up and see if I can find it.

This looks like a lot of fun. They did a good job of giving the levels that "playground" feel. It's one of the more interesting looking Wii U games coming out. At least for me. I know exactly what to expect out of Yoshi, Kirby and the like. But this just looks like fun to play and fuck around with.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I agree 100%. I played the demo, and thought it looked great. Then i started with Bayonetta 1 and finished it before diving into Bayo2. Only then did i notice the immense visual upgrade that Bayo2 is. And it's not just the far more colorful art.
I did the exact same thing and had the exact same reaction, its almost a night aand day difference.

By the way, when people assess the quality of something, they normally compare it to its peers.

So a new game comes out and now the old game is junk?

Jeez people are wasteful

That list would also be bloated if he listed every 3rd party wii u game with a dedicated online community that has good featuresets including the indie games and the ports.

Lots of games have online co-op on the WIi U btw. Bayonetta 2 all day every day folks

Here's the thing buddy.Your opinions is not worth a damn. Its flawed logic at its finest.

What you said is no better than a Playstation or Nintendo Fan calling the Xbox shit because it has less games and many titles of lesser quality than either platform released.Speaking of which,I dont know where the idea of the Xbox having more games than the PS4 ( despite the absolute turds Sony released in pretty much the exact same genres) comes from. PS4 in general has more support and games released over all (143 released 388 announced). MS marketing is making people delusional.

Hell, even mentioning Nintendo's platform, it gets compared to the PS4 because it doesnt have X multiplat AAA game on it. Doesnt matter how many games it does have Im only interested in this specific western AAA multiplat because its popular and your system doesnt have it ect ect ect. Reality is the WiiU's been out for a year longer, as long as its supported its going to have more games in terms of raw numbers until AAA and indie output from Western Developers catches up to what was already released on the Wii U). Less games are being made every day and the big money is getting pumped into the ones that do. So that's gonna take a few years since the other platform has strong indie support.

It doesnt have those games and Im not interested in it. Apparently on Neogaf that means its a console with " a small library of interesting games"... even with that year head start people tend to ignore 50 to 60% of what gets released on the platform no. Its " nintendo game this nintendo game that yadda yadda yadda"
Nobody does their research, you show them something off metacritic and wikipedia and they go back to saying things that mean one thing but say another. They need some serious grammar lesson.

Not even mentioning the console itself? Free online play? Doesnt matter. I doesnt have x or y features I have to pay for. XBL is always Better then PSN. Its never down /s

Or "Wii U doesnt have an ethernet port? Hoo boy ninty stuck in the past" never mind the fact it has 4 usb ports instead of 2 or 3 like the other systems that do have ethernet ports.

Or the fact that shovelware is all people seem to talk about when it comes to the Wii but convieniently forget the PS1 and PS2 as being bastions of the very same product. Or calling all mobile games shit because of the ones that are poorly designed for the platform. Or because half the games that get advertised are busy channeling the alchohol industries tactics.

Anyway my point is, dont be an obnoxious gamer. They have silly arguments over abstract concepts that arent grounded in reality. A good gamer spends more time gaming than shit-talking on the net about gaming. That's a journalists job >_>

tebunker

Banned
Don't you know, PS3 has almost no Online Games

[Sarcasm}Funny, I haven't been thoroughly enjoying my "bad" version of Destiny for the past week online, on the PS3 too... Amazeballs.[/sarcasm]

I think the attitude we are mocking was pointed out pretty well in that "are we too picky thread."

I feel like too often we as a community forget why we play, and we have a hard time with others enjoying something. We used artificial crap like taste or standards to trick ourselves....

Back to OT, I am stoked for this game, I have several WiiU friends that I think I could convince to play this. I am hoping we can get voice chat

TheMoon

Question: "Would you consider having a Beta for the online multiplayer for Devil's Third?"

Tomonobu Itagaki: "Jonathan, I take safe way. that's what i can say now"
Dec 5, 2014

It doesn't necessarily imply they're planning a beta but it seems there's a chance?

DizzyCrow

I really want that this game does well (as well as a game can do on Wii U) so NIntendo will partner with Valhalla to make a Zelda/Shiek game.

Top Bottom