• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's getting really hard to feel enthusiastic for the new Forza Motorsport

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yup. I'm not sure how console only racing fanatics just suddenly up and buy and rig and wheel to get into PC racing.

Going from Ace Combat 2 and Bogey Dead Six to Falcon 4 and DCS was a huge time and money commitment. The switch from console to PC regarding any sim is only for the diehards, and even then, the money needed to justify a HOTAS, Pedals, MFD's, and a new PC to run it is astronomical.

Anyone want to know what I paid for my Virpil setup? :)
Did i also mention that i like being able to use a chase cam in races? yeah i did. too bad assetto's chase cam is even worse than GT's, needs mods and extensive customization to make it good. Just like the graphics. and the menu.

It's like fuck dude, yes i love cars and i love racing but what assetto asks for as the bare minimum to even get into it is just too much bro. These console oriented more casual like sims, they're fun and they have better graphics to boot.

TrueGrime

Did i also mention that i like being able to use a chase cam in races? yeah i did. too bad assetto's chase cam is even worse than GT's, needs mods and extensive customization to make it good. Just like the graphics. and the menu.

It's like fuck dude, yes i love cars and i love racing but what assetto asks for as the bare minimum to even get into it is just too much bro. These console oriented more casual like sims, they're fun and they have better graphics to boot.

I'm glad I'm not a race simmer. Being a flight simmer and nearly a space simmer is enough. And when you think that just having a good rig and peripherals, you get fucking sucked into living the sim life. Lol. For me, that was creating a squadron, getting a website and forum up, recruiting, training members, creating all the squadron material, conducting weekly and weekend flights, managing mods that everyone had to have to be standard, and keeping your squadron engaged. It lasted for over a decade while I got burned out living two lives, basically. All so we could have fun and make cool vids like..

I'm curious. Do race simmers have like teams and shit? Crews? Etc?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I mean, MSFS has native VR support on PC depsite being on Xbox Series, so why Forza Motorsport is skipping such a vital feature altogether is beyond me.

That is a good point.
One can hope they announce it sooner rather than later.

Halo should have been a 7 at best. It’s the prime example of reviewers falling for BS. I believe IGN even owned up to it and re-reviewed it.
I don’t see ign’s “re-review”. And I think most disagree that it was a 7 at best. Reviewed well all around and players enjoyed it too. Was tied 4th for goty awards by players, and was 6th for goty awards by critics.

the issue was post launch content. And that was a big problem.

I don’t see ign’s “re-review”. And I think most disagree that it was a 7 at best. Reviewed well all around and players enjoyed it too. Was tied 4th for goty awards by players, and was 6th for goty awards by critics.

the issue was post launch content. And that was a big problem.
Yea I think I got it confused with some other game they re-reviewed. But I think it was bare bones from the start and people were just extra thirsty for anything Xbox and rated it with rose colored glasses and false promises of post launch support.

Senua

I wish the person who did FM3's music would return to do the menu and garage music for FM.
I loved that, 4s was good too, 7s was an absolute bilge in comparison. bland butt rock riffs in the background of a dark and dingy garage, even the race loading and reward screens were too fucking dark. FM3 and 4 menus were light and slick as hell

Black_Stride

Yea I think I got it confused with some other game they re-reviewed. But I think it was bare bones from the start and people were just extra thirsty for anything Xbox and rated it with rose colored glasses and false promises of post launch support.

So it was an industry wide conspiracy to give Halo Infinte 80+ because all those people were being nostalgic?
Who reviews a game based on possible DLC?

What kind of conspiracy shit are you into, you might need to legit get some fresh air and realise that just cuz you dont like a game, its still very possible a bunch of people do.
From a gameplay perspective Halo Infinite is top tier.....level design on the other hand, thats a different story.
But thats just my opinion....but the general concusses was that Halo Infinite does indeed play well, and what could be more important to game than it playing well?

Bry0

I loved that, 4s was good too, 7s was an absolute bilge in comparison. bland butt rock riffs in the background of a dark and dingy garage, even the race loading and reward screens were too fucking dark. FM3 and 4 menus were light and slick as hell
Yeah the garage rock thing was what they were going for, I remember reading about it in some interview. It totally fell flat though. Curios to see what vibe they go for in this one. 3/4 were definitely really slick and clean looking. The metro inspired tiles in 5/6/7 were so painfully lame too.

So it was an industry wide conspiracy to give Halo Infinte 80+ because all those people were being nostalgic?
Who reviews a game based on possible DLC?

What kind of conspiracy shit are you into, you might need to legit get some fresh air and realise that just cuz you dont like a game, its still very possible a bunch of people do.
From a gameplay perspective Halo Infinite is top tier.....level design on the other hand, thats a different story.
But thats just my opinion....but the general concusses was that Halo Infinite does indeed play well, and what could be more important to game than it playing well?
Terrible levels and story, but should be high 80s for copy and paste gameplay . . . when I look at the games that rate low to mid 80s, there's no way you could convince me Halo deserves that 87.

Black_Stride

Terrible levels and story, but should be high 80s for copy and paste gameplay . . . when I look at the games that rate low to mid 80s, there's no way you could convince me Halo deserves that 87.
I dont have to convince you.
The game scored 80+ thats literally a fact.
If in your head canon it scored 30 thats fine.....I dont judge peoples mental lapses, life is tough.

hlm666

I'm curious. Do race simmers have like teams and shit? Crews? Etc?
Not really for straight up racing like iracing you probably wont find anything like a group/team/crew but if you gravitate to the more car culture scene in something like ac or even forza horizon (not a sim tho) you will find groups/crews that will get together to cruise, test mods/tracks or help make cinematics etc similar to the dcs one.

Black_Stride

Guess I can't help a bunch of journalists having low standards for certain games.
Im amazed it took you this long to realize that people have different opinions and that yours holds near zero weight, but meta/opencritic contrbutors actually have a voice.
But good on you for coming to the realization you cant help journalist align to your views and opinions.

congratulations-neon-genesis-evangelion.gif

I agree sort of. cutting drift and drag was one thing but splitscreen is making me lose faith.

That being said i'm still holding on for the singleplayer campaign & online multiplayer as those 2 aspects are what i want most out of this game, & it's what they've shown off the most. Not preordering but depending on review scores (from actual racing fans) I'll get it, sale or not
HAHAHA this is the biggest troll comment ever.. cutting SPLITSCREEN is a deal breaker?!? Really!?! Dude, I've been playing FM since the original and never even knew it had a split screen until all this fake outrage.. FM always frumps GT7 and has for years. It's going to be an amazing game as usual

small_law

Horizon is just a more enjoyable experience for me, too. I don't like the work it takes to be good at driving simulators. Sometimes you just want something a bit less serious.
And that's kind of what I like about Horizon. All the tuning is there if you want to engage it, but if you want it to be somebody else's problem and download setups from the community, more power to you.

Danknugz

anyone know if you'll be able to hire drivers again? i'm not a fan of super long career races that stand in the way of your progress, or in general, that go for more than 15 minutes

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
Well I read a lot of bad takes here, usually from fanboys reciting marketing material being completely obtuse about criticism or revisionists trying to claim this is no different from what they were doing in the past. Heck there's even revisionism on older games claiming they were a lot harder than they were.

Sorry but none of this is going to work on me because I simply have far too much active interest in these games to believe other people's nonsense regarding them. Old GT games never made you drive around in a "clunker" forever, I play GT1 and 2 a lot on retro handhelds and I can always start buying high performance cars rather quickly (since I know what I am doing these days). I think a lot of people just thought these earlier entries were a lot harder than they were because they must have been playing them when they were kids and had no idea what they were really doing.

That and no Forza game has ever been live services before this. I can go back and play any old Forza game I have offline and enjoy it's content fully with zero restrictions (outside of online multiplayer obviously). Heck they even let me play in split screen, a feature that used to be standard on far older and outdated hardware, that we supposedly shouldn't even expect on today's far higher performing hardware.

I mean I don't want to sound like I am just focusing on the people trying to criticize my take here, because there has been a lot of comments outside of that, but the defense squad for things like live services around here is just so... manipulative and disingenuous. It's like dealing with marketing reps as opposed to actual reasonable customers.

nikos

Not really for straight up racing like iracing you probably wont find anything like a group/team/crew but if you gravitate to the more car culture scene in something like ac or even forza horizon (not a sim tho) you will find groups/crews that will get together to cruise, test mods/tracks or help make cinematics etc similar to the dcs one.

Of all the sim racing I've done, cruising SRP in Assetto has probably been the best experience I've had in my rig. I really need to do it more often.

As far as actual racing goes, there are also leagues for all types of racing.

hlm666

Of all the sim racing I've done, cruising SRP in Assetto has probably been the best experience I've had in my rig. I really need to do it more often.

As far as actual racing goes, there are also leagues for all types of racing.
During the pandemic lockdowns getting together with car nut friends to play around on the open world tracks was a god send. Couple of friends who were never into computers/games and spent all their time and money on cars/bikes dropped some crazy money building rigs to get in on the action because they couldn't blow it on track days and parts.

MarkMe2525

I could only imagine myself playing this for the presentation, and it doesn't look like a big step up from Horizon 5. Underwhelming for sure. I'm sure the sim hardcore will lap it up with its tire physics sample rate and all that jazz.

I'm there day one, and I love Forza, but yeah, they hype for me has dwindled a bit. It appears that they still needed more time, which is crazy considering how long they have taken, and just how proficient they historically were with releasing new games.

Top Bottom