• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's getting really hard to feel enthusiastic for the new Forza Motorsport

GHG

Moved on have they? Thanks for the info 🤣

The Forza.net forums aren't what they once were and I'm still in touch with a few of the guys who I raced with on Forza, loads of people have transitioned on to PC racing sims. Not sure why you find the notion so outlandish, it's somewhat of a natural progression for people with genuine interest in cars/racing who cut their teeth on console focused simcade games.

Combine that with the fact that the FM games have been increasingly catering towards more casual (and younger) audiences, so it's to be expected.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I'm more excited because of the features added that actually impact the racing experience.

Huge upgrade in physics simulation.
Machine Learning AI
Real time night and day on every track
Real time weather
Advancement in tyre wear simulation.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They could have made the best Forza ever by having the location in Japan , but just refuse to do so . What a missed opportunity .

Suzuka is in Japan mate.
Tsukuba hasnt been announced yet but likely gonna be in too.
Motegi well who knows.

forza-motorsport-8_bhmf.jpg

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Just heard the Jeff Grubb 'GrubbSnaxx' episode for 8/14 and he said that they are not having split screen co-op. I guess it's the same issue as with Baldur's Gate 3. Since it's MS they can make that decision to just scrap it unlike Larian, who insisted the game has split screen (which is odd since PC does not have that). They really need to ditch the XS

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I could maybe see about something’s .. but 2 player split screen? Really?? we’re lots of people really using that?
No.

Even if Forza Motorsport 4 is the best FM game(fight me) even that 2 player split screen was dry.
People just need something to bitch about.
Guranteed OP who claims to be a fan of FM since the series began can count on one hand how many time he actually used splitscreen since FM3/4.

Black_Stride

Just heard the Jeff Grubb 'GrunnSnaxx' episode for 8/14 and he said that they are not having split screen co-op. I guess it's the same issue as with Baldur's Gate 3. Since it's MS they can make that decision to just scrap it unlike Larian, who insisted the game has split screen (which is odd since PC does not have that). They really need to ditch the XS

BG3 has split screen on PC as well.
It was one of the design tenants that Larian wanted with Baldurs Gate 3.......not sure why they couldnt scrap it for the Xbox versions but likely MS said the game must have parity between PS5 and Xbox.

It’s the gamepass effect. Launch a game with minimal features and add them over time to keep people subbing. Every other Forza before this was a full game packed with features and options and OFFLINE PLAYABLE DAY ONE. This is the sad state of where we are in gaming today with Xbox and MS.

Black_Stride

It’s the gamepass effect. Launch a game with minimal features and add them over time to keep people subbing. Every other Forza before this was a full game packed with features and options and OFFLINE PLAYABLE DAY ONE. This is the sad state of where we are in gaming today with Xbox and MS.
I take it you never played Forza Motorsport 5 and just decided to erase Forza Motorsport 7 from your mind huh?

Ozriel

M$FT
First there was the live services announcement that totally killed my anticipation, then they talked about plans to make the game a lot more grindy and time consuming to get to where I can do the type of things I traditionally enjoyed from the series,

How did they make this more ‘grindy’ when they’ve drastically slashed prices of vehicles in the game, allowing you to accumulate premium cars faster than ever?

Having to grind away forever just to get cars, and then needing to grind away at driving those cars just to upgrade them really throws a wrench in my playstyle and what I always found so appealing about the franchise.

Not sure if this is an elaborate joke thread, but it clearly shows you’ve paid no attention to the game aside from reading one or two headlines.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder what today’s gamers would think of the first Gran Turismo? Back when you started with an average car and had to work your ass off to improve it - eventually making enough money to afford something nicer.

I’d imagine it would be considered a grind, with complaints about having to earn a license.

Xbox games need to get reviewed how they are at launch. All of these post launch promises are crap. Where’s the expanded story and other biomes for Halo? Where is the 60fps for Redfall? Etc.

I doubt this Forza will ever get split screen but saying “not at launch” gives them an out.

Wheel support has always been a ton better in GT vs Forza. Hell, it pretty much sucked in Horizon and wasnr particularly good on Forza proper.

And despite all the GT series issues, wheel support has been there since PS2 days.
The wheel support was way better in Forza 7 than this shit they have in GT7. Also I've used a wheel for every Horizon game and it's been great except for this new FH5 update from three or four months ago that they refuse to undo.

Xbox games need to get reviewed how they are at launch. All of these post launch promises are crap. Where’s the expanded story and other biomes for Halo? Where is the 60fps for Redfall? Etc.

I doubt this Forza will ever get split screen but saying “not at launch” gives them an out.
Games do get reviewed for how they are at launch. Halo infinite didn’t review well because reviewers were like “they are adding other biomes so I’ll give it a 9” lol

Senua

I wonder what today’s gamers would think of the first Gran Turismo? Back when you started with an average car and had to work your ass off to improve it - eventually making enough money to afford something nicer.

I’d imagine it would be considered a grind, with complaints about having to earn a license.
Back when car games had proper progression, the good ol days

StereoVsn

The wheel support was way better in Forza 7 than this shit they have in GT7. Also I've used a wheel for every Horizon game and it's been great except for this new FH5 update from three or four months ago that they refuse to undo.
Ok, how was it better? Because drive physics seemed all over the place on F7 with a wheel.

GT7 support is damn nice and alI have is fairly inexpensive recently Logitech for that.

Games do get reviewed for how they are at launch. Halo infinite didn’t review well because reviewers were like “they are adding other biomes so I’ll give it a 9” lol
Halo should have been a 7 at best. It’s the prime example of reviewers falling for BS. I believe IGN even owned up to it and re-reviewed it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Most interested to see what they have done with career mode. Hard to get excited as they really haven't shown much yet.

DaGwaphics

Nah, as a person that had play iracing and acc. I’m kinda more excited how forza going. They gonna have legit spec racing and pits also safety rating skill rating. To me that add more to it

They are really trying to up the game as a competition focused sim racer. I'm sure players that are serious about the genre will appreciate that a lot more than they realize. Since they already have FH as a more arcade style juggernaut it makes sense to differentiate the two offerings a little further, outside of just the track racing vs. open world.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Nobody ever promised you expanded story and other biomes for Halo as part of the $60 package you paid for.

Those were always intended as future expansions. Why would reviews take that into account?

Halo and Redfall were reviewed based on their launch status. Multiple reviews even docked points for no Forge at launch, for example.

PanzerCute

No VR support in a serious racing game in 2023 is an automatic buzz kill for me. After PCVR (ETS2, ACC) and GT7 VR it is impossible to go back to flat-screen racing, with ray-tracing or without it.
Pretty much this. I have a SeX and GP and I will probably never install the game for that reason. I will maybe consider it, but go back to GT7 VR instead.

Nobody ever promised you expanded story and other biomes for Halo as part of the $60 package you paid for.

Those were always intended as future expansions. Why would reviews take that into account?

Halo and Redfall were reviewed based on their launch status. Multiple reviews even docked points for no Forge at launch, for example.
You guys are on crack if you think Halo Infinite earned that high 80s Metacritic.

Black_Stride

You guys are on crack if you think Halo Infinite earned that high 80s Metacritic.

eri-cute-anime-girl-confused-t8c58v18nbfosjgr.gif

We are on crack?
But you are the one who believes theres some conspiracy with the entire review industry to review Halo Infinite highly?

eri-cute-anime-girl-confused-t8c58v18nbfosjgr.gif

We are on crack?
But you are the one who believes theres some conspiracy with the entire review industry to review Halo Infinite highly?
Halo Infinite being a high 80s MC is proof enough for anyone with common sense. It was missing all kinds of features and the campaign was garbage. Let alone the seasonality being a total lie.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Halo Infinite being a high 80s MC is proof enough for anyone with common sense. It was missing all kinds of features and the campaign was garbage. Let alone the seasonality being a total lie.
People who reviewed the game liked the game and gave it a good score?

tumblr_mh39prv9m81rmiuggo1_400.gif

Mate be real.

The Stig

As a player of the series since day 1 I dont care anymore either.

They absolutely shit the bed with F7. Single player mode is boring as shit. The homologation restrictions narrow down your car choices far too much.

What happened to the big board with different competitions with interesting restrictions?

edit - fuck split screen. good riddance

Last edited:

Dane

No.

Even if Forza Motorsport 4 is the best FM game(fight me) even that 2 player split screen was dry.
People just need something to bitch about.
Guranteed OP who claims to be a fan of FM since the series began can count on one hand how many time he actually used splitscreen since FM3/4.
GT7 split screen was a post launch add on that only support two players vehicles on the track, the harsh reality is that unless you're with a game that uses the same screen like fighting games and has a huge playerbase support for it, it will be mostly seen as a limitation from the past when online wasn't there.

GT7 split screen was a post launch add on that only support two players vehicles on the track, the harsh reality is that unless you're with a game that uses the same screen like fighting games and has a huge playerbase support for it, it will be mostly seen as a limitation from the past when online wasn't there.
You are giving GT7 too much credit on split screen. It’s never even worked properly.

Vox Machina

Banned

I wouldn't call a PC release "minimal features". Thats a huge feature it has over its competition. One that I'll be taking full advantage of.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm more excited because of the features added that actually impact the racing experience.

Huge upgrade in physics simulation.
Machine Learning AI
Real time night and day on every track
Real time weather
Advancement in tyre wear simulation.

What is real time night and day on every track mean?

Unknown?

But i like grindy and time consuming in my racing campaigns.

an actual sense of progression and accomplishment works far more than recent games strategy of giving you cars up the wazoo and expecting you to be happy. It's not fun when you've basically reached the endgame after 3 hours of play. The early Gran Turismos had you progressing around the game where you were thinking about what cars to sell, which to buy, what parts to upgrade, etc. Money was hard to come by and easy to waste on something which might not have been worth it. You had to work to get the supercars, you were in for the long haul.

The issue comes in variety, is it grindy as in you're playing the exact same race over and over again to earn money or are you playing various events with challenges of their own in order to win money & other stuff? Will the game railroad you throughout a single objective or will you have freedom on which races to choose and when? Will the cars you buy be put to good use in many of the game's events or will they sit around in your garage waiting for use?

We've not seen much of FM8 besides the builders cup which looks pretty good on its own, minus the requirement of finishing previous races to unlock new ones.
That's one thing I didn't like about GT7. It gave out cars like candy. I like the old, being stuck with a clunker and figuring out how to not waste money. Should I upgrade or sell and buy a faster stock car? Ya know?

R6Rider

Gold Member
That's one thing I didn't like about GT7. It gave out cars like candy. I like the old, being stuck with a clunker and figuring out how to not waste money. Should I upgrade or sell and buy a faster stock car? Ya know?
I do miss that especially how it was in GT3 and 4.

Bad progression is why I didn't play Forza Horizon 4 very long and skipped on 5. Game would throw money and S tier cars at you within an hour of gameplay. Much preferred how FH1 was working through the bracelets/bands and the more varied race limitations.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dynamic time of day on everytrack, basicly 24h day and night cycle.
Is it connected to the real 24 hr cycle? As in...every time you race at 10:00pm on the track, it's night? Or does it do one of those BS "every 12 minutes is a full 24 hours because we want children to notice the sun going up and down".

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Is it connected to the real 24 hr cycle? As in...every time you race at 10:00pm on the track, it's night?
We don't know that yet unfortunately, but i don't think it will.
Or does it do one of those BS "every 12 minutes is a full 24 hours because we want children to notice the sun going up and down".
You can adjust it manually.
8PpuVaH.jpg

Wonko_C

No VR support in a serious racing game in 2023 is an automatic buzz kill for me. After PCVR (ETS2, ACC) and GT7 VR it is impossible to go back to flat-screen racing, with ray-tracing or without it.
Yep. If your racing game has no VR support it's not going past the starting like ever. Be either sim or arcade.
Even Horizon 5 couldn't keep my interest for long, DriveClub VR ruined it for me.

Last edited:

Romulus

Sim racing without a vr option is a hard pill to swallow in 2023. I know this isn't turn 10's fault or even Microsoft's but the experience is completely transformed and worth every penny in VR. I can't even think of a leap that's comparable.
I would love to see this series and Horizon in VR.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Yep. If your racing game has no VR support it's not going past the starting like ever. Be either sim or arcade.
Even Horizon 5 couldn't keep my interest for long, DriveClub VR ruined it for me.

Just use Vorpx.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Most of the FM community have moved on to more serious sim racing titles and/or other games.
The reason i care about Forza & GT is because i'm not going to buy a 300 dollar wheel setup, study and practice all sorts of racing techniques/terminology and learn stick shift just to have fun in a racing game. (well, not that i wouldn't but rather i don't know where to start) The physics in games like Assetto require much more fine control than what an Xbox controller could offer you... they basically are price gated, since you need a wheel to even enjoy them. not to mention my lack of knowledge on cars would get me laughed out of the online server. Oh yeah, online racing. Assetto relies on that as a crutch because its default career mode is dogwater.

Assetto does physics amazingly but it is not a racing GAME as much as it is a sandbox. same thing for BeamNG and a lot of the other PC exclusive sims too. GT and Forza are special because despite the reduced physics they both have they do more with them. They give you progression and something to actually work for.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

The reason i care about Forza & GT is because i'm not going to buy a 300 dollar wheel setup, study and practice all sorts of racing techniques and learn stick shift just to have fun in a racing game. not to mention my lack of knowledge on cars would get me laughed out of the online server. Oh yeah, online racing. Assetto relies on that as a crutch because its default career mode is dogwater.

Assetto does physics amazingly but it is not a racing GAME as much as it is a sandbox. same thing for BeamNG and a lot of the other PC exclusive sims too. GT and Forza are special because despite the reduced physics they both have they do more with them. They give you progression and something to actually work for.

Yup. I'm not sure how console only racing fanatics just suddenly up and buy and rig and wheel to get into PC racing.

Going from Ace Combat 2 and Bogey Dead Six to Falcon 4 and DCS was a huge time and money commitment. The switch from console to PC regarding any sim is only for the diehards, and even then, the money needed to justify a HOTAS, Pedals, MFD's, and a new PC to run it is astronomical.

Anyone want to know what I paid for my Virpil setup? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom