• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer Forza Motorsport is a GAAS with years of support

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Going back to Forza, you actually dropped the number. So is Forza Motorsport becoming a service platform or what's with the change?

PS: Yeah. Service platform, I hesitate a little bit because I think there's a lot of loadedness in what that means. I think what we see with Forza is the evolution of the experience as much about the tech as it is tracks and cars. And we know that, when people make an investment in the game, they want to make sure we continue to support the game. And in some ways, when you put a numeral on the end of the franchise, it instantly says, "Okay, well, now you need to move to Forza and plus one." And it's like, no, we want this to be a place that people feel like they can invest their time, they can invest their experience, and know that this is a place that we're going to be investing in Forza Motorsport for years to come.

Last edited:

Killer8

I think there's a lot of loadedness in what that means.

Vince Mcmahon Money GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And $40 car packs, yeah and the clowns keep complaining about those non important MTX in GT7 which you don't even need and everything is even free.

How so?

Make total sense for a racing game, and would fit the likes of the yearly EA sports games as well for example.

I didn't when people heard about GT7. Forza is already worse with those car packs.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
And $40 car packs, yeah and the clowns keep complaining about those non important MTX in GT7 which you don't even need and everything is even free.

I didn't when people heard about GT7. Forza is already worse with those car packs.
What's GT7 got to do with this? I dropped that game pretty quick.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What's GT7 got to do with this? I dropped that game pretty quick.

Well you know, the words "GAAS" triggerd a lot of retards acted like it was the end of the world. And i don't know why you dropped that game quickly? It has the best online features imo from any other race game, or was it the singleplayer?

I'm personally not sure what Forza is going to add to that, only that it is on Xbox.

Last edited:

Pantz

If done well, it's a good series for a gaas. Buying the next Forza year after year got too stale.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean .. maybe .. idk.

On one hand it maybe sold LONGER than previous games of this type because they have to keep up with the licenses.

Or they don’t and we are just left with less content as standard if not connected to server.. 🤷‍♂️

35cent

In fairness, don't most racing games operate like this these days? I mean, ACC, iRacing, AMS2 , rFactor 2 and GT7 all do this I believe.

T10 has been pretty transparent about this format for FM "8" since the beginning.

I do think racing games as GaaS will work fairly well, provided that the content being delivered is new cars and tracks. If it's microtransactions by a thousand cuts, it's going to suck horribly.

I should add that the major problem I have with GaaS is that they timebox effin EVERYTHING. Like you can only get X car by Y date, SO BETTER LOGIN EVERYDAY KIDDOS. Just deliver the content and let players obtain it at their own pace.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was thinking about giving Forza a try for the first time but nope. This is an easy skip for me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Looks like I will continue to be playing Forza 3 and 4 for the forseeable future, just like GT 3 and 4. A shame :(
Forza Motorsport 4 is also a GaaS title.
It had something like 20 Car Packs and a Porsche expansion pack.

I've only played it offline, gaas is a negative thing.
Then ignore the DLC if you dont want to engage with it.

Matsuchezz

In fairness, don't most racing games operate like this these days? I mean, ACC, iRacing, AMS2 , rFactor 2 and GT7 all do this I believe.
Phil is catching up. He is a gamer so, he can't be aware of all the changes the games get with the recent times. He will be in the dark for a few years since we will go balls deep with Starfield.

Forza Motorsport 4 is also a GaaS title.
It had something like 20 Car Packs and a Porsche expansion pack.

FM4 is not a GaaS at all, it was a project with a defined DLC plan. You also didn't have to have a persistent online connection to play it, you could buy all the DLC and play it entirely offline.

FM8 will not have a EoL content plan and will require an online connection. It's truly a GaaS, there's a clear distinction between the two titles.

Black_Stride

I play single player and I like moding games, gaas games you can't do much with that. So it's a no for me on many levels.

Forza Horizon 5 is a GaaS game but you can mod it.
Im sure the modding community will have their go at modding Forza Motorsport, its inevitable.

FM4 is not a GaaS at all, it was a project with a defined DLC plan. You also didn't have to have a persistent online connection to play it, you could buy all the DLC and play it entirely offline.

FM8 will not have a EoL content plan and will require an online connection. It's truly a GaaS, there's a clear distinction between the two titles.
Forza Motorsport for is NOT a GaaS game?
I take it we are changing the definition of GaaS game now?

Black_Stride

Assuming you meant 4. No, in no world is FM4 a GaaS.

Do you know what a GaaS is? While we're at it, I work in SaaS, do you know what content as a service means?
Games released under the GaaS model typically receive a long or indefinite stream of monetized new content over time to encourage players to continue paying to support the game.

That certainly sounds like Forza Motorsport 4 with its what 20 car packs and expansion.

Games released under the GaaS model typically receive a long or indefinite stream of monetized new content over time to encourage players to continue paying to support the game.

That certainly sounds like Forza Motorsport 4 with its what 20 car packs and expansion.

The difference is the project delivery methodologies e.g. waterfall versus agile. FM, prior to 8, would've had a project plan for the game, and X number of DLCs. After that, the dev teams would move to developing the next title and EoL the previous.

A GaaS doesn't have an end date ("long or indefinite"). Content will be planned into sprints, and sprints will be delivered for all long as the game is making money. If FM8 followed the previous delivery model, it would be a release followed by X DLCs, and then T10 would work on FM9. FM8 content will continue to be delivered as long as the game is profitable. There's no end date for the game in mind, unless it totally bombs and MS doesn't feel like keeping T10 sprinting on it.

I was looking forward to this but i won't even bother downloading it for free on gamepass if it is going to be a glorified mobile phone microtransactions game.

Who was asking for them to do this?

Black_Stride

The difference is the project delivery methodologies e.g. waterfall versus agile. FM, prior to 8, would've had a project plan for the game, and X number of DLCs. After that, the dev teams would move to developing the next title and EoL the previous.

A GaaS doesn't have an end date ("long or indefinite"). Content will be planned into sprints, and sprints will be delivered for all long as the game is making money. If FM8 followed the previous delivery model, it would be a release followed by X DLCs, and then T10 would work on FM9. FM8 content will continue to be delivered as long as the game is profitable. There's no end date for the game in mind, unless it totally bombs and MS doesn't feel like keeping T10 sprinting on it.
Is this conjecture or do you have some insider information you would like to share.

King Dazzar

Oh Phil. Only thinking about the customers wallets and saving them the need to buy a newly developed and made game. What a lovely guy you are.

So when I pay a monthly fee to rent the core experience via GP. And any new content is paywalled behind additional micro transactions. Which drags out the same core experience. Whilst Xbox don't have to invest in the development of a fresh new game for years. Its me the customer benefitting. 🙄

Dont get me wrong, GAAS is what it is. Some of it I dont even mind. They're all at it. But this snake oil vendor spiel is what irks me. He has the audacity to be selling it to me on the sole basis that its for my benefit. As though its some brilliant customer friendly model. well...

Last edited:

Del_X

I think it’s fine for this series given how expensive all the little packs are. If they carry forward for a decade, that sounds good to me.

Kinda like iRacing

Last edited:
Is this conjecture or do you have some insider information you would like to share.

I'm not a T10 insider, but GaaS/SaaS/PaaS are all terms that anyone in my industry would/should know and be able to differentiate. And like I said earlier, T10 has been quite transparent that the delivery mechanism for FM8 will be different than prior titles.

I also have an extensive library with many leather-bound books.

LostDonkey

They did it right with Assetto Corsa, So Forza could learn a lot from that.

Nail the physics down no matter what and allow the graphics to flourish over time-Look what the modders have done for that game!

I'd be doing everything in my power to absorb Kunos Simulazione into the Forza team if I was Spencer.

Top Bottom