• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter Trilogy PS Vita | June 2013 | $29.99 / €29.99

Vashetti

Banned
8659372145_ee10d53a56_b.jpg

What the fuck is this blurry mess? Why is this not native resolution?

It doesn't even reach 720p on the PS3.

The coding was very specific to the PS2, making it hard to port. It's all explained in a behind the scenes video.

Jarmel

Banned
I haven't played any of these games.

Why is Jak 2 hated the most?

Shitty save system, horrible fixed camera angles at times, grimdark throughout with some awful VA work, boring mission design, horrible overworld, and the gunplay is shitty.

The game is garbage.

Already have the PS3 version, but I will gladly spend $30 more for Jak and Daxter. Now I need a new installment.

It's one of the very few that had an HD collection but no actual new entry. Lets remedy that, Sanzaru. Or Naughty Dog, if you're not busy.

Shitty save system, horrible fixed camera angles at times, grimdark throughout with some awful VA work, boring mission design, horrible overworld, and the gunplay is shitty.

The game is garbage.

Now I can understand the first two, but the voice acting was pretty good in 2, the missions were varied and plentiful, and with the obvious exception of the shanty town run, they are good. The gunplay is standard Jak and Daxter, if you didn't like it here, you must have hated it in 3, cause it was nearly identical.

Drago

As long as the games are a locked 30fps then that's fine by me. Not preferable, but I'll take it.

Hopefully I'll have this and a Vita by the end of summer!

VanWinkle

Sony putting the Port in Portable!

See, now this is weird. Nobody called the HD Collections on PS3 "ports". Don't get me wrong, we need more original games, but this is a collection of games from a previous generation and it's really cool to see on a portable.

btkadams

can't watch the video at work, but i'm excited for this. i haven't really played through the originals so hopefully the framerate isn't too jarring for a first-timer.

Zen

Banned
Because it's fucking awful. Terrible design all the way through which results in cheap, frustrating deaths over and over again. I will never play that game again.

It's the best in the trilogy so you're wrong. It has the bst level design and gameplay by mile. If you found 'cheap deaths' abound you just didn't play it all that well. It's a very easy game. There's a legitimately cheap and under-cooked pat though, but that's only the slums city ambush. 3 was rushed easy mode with incomplete geometry even, it was worse than Jak II to be sure.

have never played and of these ever (long live Ratchet and Clank!) maaaaaaybe I'll get this for Vita...hmmmm

They're also miles better designed than Ratchet and Clank so you're in for a treat.

*In terms of level design, gameplay, storytelling, characters, and humor.

Jarmel

Banned
Now I can understand the first two, but the voice acting was pretty good in 2, the missions were varied and plentiful, and with the obvious exception of the shanty town run, they are good. The gunplay is standard Jak and Daxter, if you didn't like it here, you must have hated it in 3, cause it was nearly identical.

The voice acting for Jak is ridiculous but Torn is by the far worst offender. The mission designs had annoying "Protect your companion", pick up the money bags, stupid races throughout the city that really don't make any sense and have you dealing with the floaty controls that are used for the vehicles, and one mission that is pretty much the controller version of DDR(I forgot what the keyboard version of DDR is called). The gunplay in three wasn't fantastic either, probably closer to shitty, but the game was more forgiving which means I can forgive the awful mechanics. The shanty town mission where you have to kill off hordes of enemies when the camera is as shitty as it is and the controls are as bad as they are, is a nightmare.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That is pretty lazy IMO.

I'd rather see the port than not. Oddly enough, my old PS2 disc runs like hell on PCSX2. I can already tell they were doing some kind of special things that makes emulating it hard.

If the games run well enough I am very much interested.

Zen

Banned
The voice acting for Jak is ridiculous but Torn is by the far worst offender. The mission designs had annoying "Protect your companion", pick up the money bags, stupid races throughout the city that really don't make any sense and have you dealing with the floaty controls that are used for the vehicles

The vehicle controls weren't floaty at all. You were driving rocket powered vehicles, of course they would fishtail more than vehicles with wheels. All you needed to was compensate for that.

The voice acting for Jak is ridiculous but Torn is by the far worst offender. The mission designs had annoying "Protect your companion", pick up the money bags, stupid races throughout the city that really don't make any sense and have you dealing with the floaty controls that are used for the vehicles, and one mission that is pretty much the controller version of DDR(I forgot what the keyboard version of DDR is called). The gunplay in three wasn't fantastic either, probably closer to shitty, but the game was more forgiving which means I can forgive the awful mechanics. The shanty town mission where you have to kill off hordes of enemies when the camera is as shitty as it is and the controls are as bad as they are, is a nightmare.

Guess we can agree to disagree then. Cause I enjoyed the races, the button-prompt mini games, and the money bag drops (which I believe there is only one of. Maybe two.) There were only like 3 missions that revolved around protecting someone, so I don't really see the problem. (Sewers, Samos, Sig(?))

But, yeah, most of the mission types you mentioned were not very plentiful, but if you don't enjoy the gunplay, I guess you wouldn't have fun with it. Additionally, Torn's voice can be a bit grating at times, but I still like it.

Tuck

Already bought the collection for PS3 (Which I'll be playing through this summer)

They're also miles better designed than Ratchet and Clank so you're in for a treat.

*In terms of level design, gameplay, storytelling, characters, and humor.

Nope. Ratchet has far better gunplay (Strafing makes the gunplay actually fun), better world design and art. They don't have Daxter and the stories are pretty throwaway but they better games by far.

Jarmel

Banned
The vehicle controls weren't floaty at all. You were driving rocket powered vehicles, of course they would fishtail more than vehicles with wheels. All you needed to was compensate for that.

They absolutely are and made the racing segments a nightmare. Doing tight turns is possible but much more annoying than they needed to be. Reminded me of GTAIV actually. The physics for collisions also are horrendous in that if you tap another car, you're sent flying.

Pachimari

I completed Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy 100% back in the days on PS2 at launch and it instantly were my 2nd favorite game of all time. Then came Jak II and Jak 3 and I completed both as well. Love them all and bring it on, on Vita!

jwk94

God, I hope they don't bring the Sly trilogy to the Vita. Lord knows I'd have to buy it....and then go through the travesty that was Sly 2 all over again.
LLShC.gif

I will admit, sly 2 had the second best Carmelita. Sly 4's is slightly better.

God, I hope they don't bring the Sly trilogy to the Vita. Lord knows I'd have to buy it....and then go through the travesty that was Sly 2 all over again.
LLShC.gif

I will admit, sly 2 had the second best Carmelita. Sly 4's is slightly better.

Ha. What's with the "2" hate going on. I liked Sly 2 as much as I did Jak 2, which is quite a bit. Only thing about 4's Carmelita was that she was super under utilized.

Am I bad person for playing just the first Jak and Daxter and skipping the others because they feel like a different genre game. I just couldn't get into the others.

Zen

Banned
Nope. Ratchet has far better gunplay (Strafing makes the gunplay actually fun), better world design and art. They don't have Daxter and the stories are pretty throwaway but they better games by far.

Absolutely not. The games had average gunplay (with clunky lock on), and terrible world design with level design out of a 10 dollar N64 platformer made by a no name euro dev making an E for everyone knock off title. Even if it had better gunplay (it doesn't) it has much worse everything else.

And yeah they didn't have better art either. They have the worst art or the 3 Sony Platformers, at least the PS2 era certainly did.

They absolutely are and made the racing segments a nightmare. Doing tight turns is possible but much more annoying than they needed to be. Reminded me of GTAIV actually. The physics for collisions also are horrendous in that if you tap another car, you're sent flying.

Why because you didn't let go of X? You absolutely can make very tight turns in the game, you just needed to judge the corner properly and kill the ignition to reorient the vehicle. Again, rocket cars wouldn't work like regular cars.

VanWinkle

Absolutely not. The games had average gunplay (with clunky lock on), and terrible world design with level design out of a 10 dollar N64 platformer made by a no name euro dev making an E for everyone knock off title. Even if it had better gunplay (it doesn't) it has much worse everything else.

And yeah they didn't have better art either. They have the worst art or the 3 Sony Platformers, at least the PS2 era certainly did.

HAHA, wow, this is certainly a laughable opinion.

Zen

Banned
I don't think that's hyperbole, well the level design part is, but it's the Ratchet games had very simple level design. I remember playing through Ratchet 3 and eventually just putting it down because there was literally nothing to it. Same issue I had with their PS3 DLC title. The average gunplay isn't enough to carry it, and the the controls as a whole (or rather your character due to animations and whatnot) are very clunky and hard to transition between quickly. That's one thing that Jak II and III really nailed over Jak, that being having smooth and easy to use third person shooting that didn't get in the way of his other abilities. It was less accurate, but worked better for a platformer. The only thing that helped were the unique weapon designs.

HAHA, wow, this is certainly a laughable opinion.

About Ratchet and Clank as a whole or in comparison to Jak and Daxter?

Ty4on

They did? fair enough then. I didn't know the specifics. I'd just heard in quite a few places they switched to software emulation for the Slim is all

Read it up again on Wikipedia, but I heard it first in a Giant Bombcast when they were discussing PS4 BC and talking about how BC in the PS2 was a lucky coincidence. Don't know what an I/O controller really does though :p

Jarmel

Banned
Why because you didn't let go of X? You absolutely can make very tight turns in the game, you just needed to judge the corner properly and kill the ignition to reorient the vehicle. Again, rocket cars wouldn't work like regular cars.

I don't give a shit whether they're supposed to be different from regular cars or not. They're not fun to use. Add in the crowded city and the physics collisions, the vehicle aspect was a huge negative. The vehicle aspect in both games are easily the weakest part of the trilogy but at least with three they gave you a wide open area. The way the city was designed, it only amplified how simplistic and awful the controls.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MasterBalls said:
They had to do things like use the PS1 processor on the PS2 (used for backwards compatibility), you weren't technically supposed to do that.
Not really - the chip was used by all PS2 games, not everyone bothered writting custom code but everyone ran stuff on it.

Ty4on said:
Did the PS2 Slim remove the PS1 chip?
It was removed from series 70000 inwards, replaced with another processor that emulates it.

Zen

Banned
I don't give a shit whether they're supposed to be different from regular cars or not. They're not fun to use. Add in the crowded city and the physics collisions, the vehicle aspect was a huge negative. The vehicle aspect in both games are easily the weakest part of the trilogy but at least with three they gave you a wide open area. The way the city was designed, it only amplified how simplistic and awful the controls.

Eh, whatever. I think had you realized how the steering worked you wouldn't look back on them with such frustration, not every game needs to be Burnout 3.

Jarmel

Banned
Eh, whatever. I think had you realized how the steering worked you wouldn't look back on them with such frustration, not every game needs to be Burnout 3.

Oh I figured it out fairly quickly. Doesn't make the controls not shitty. I mean I finished GTAIV after all.

VanWinkle

I don't think that's hyperbole, well the level design part is, but it's the Ratchet games had very simple level design. I remember playing through Ratchet 3 and eventually just putting it down because there was literally nothing to it. Same issue I had with their PS3 DLC title. The average gunplay isn't enough to carry it, and the the controls as a whole (or rather your character due to animations and whatnot) are very clunky and hard to transition between quickly. That's one thing that Jak II and III really nailed over Jak, that being having smooth and easy to use third person shooting that didn't get in the way of his other abilities. It was less accurate, but worked better for a platformer. The only thing that helped were the unique weapon designs.

About Ratchet and Clank as a whole or in comparison to Jak and Daxter?

The R&C stuff. Some INSANE hyperbole about it. It's a highly-regarded series. Your opinion is one that is in the extreme minority.

KalBalboa

Banned
Jak and Daxter Trilogy Retrospective with Naughty Dog. It's about 18 minutes long, really interesting.

I don't think it was so much graphically impressive as it was in terms of size.

This is a great little piece. I highly recommend watching it.

8659372145_ee10d53a56_b.jpg

What the fuck is this blurry mess? Why is this not native resolution?

PlayStation 2 games didn't typically have high-res textures. If it looks like the PS3 versions condensed to the Vita screen, I bet it'll look fine.

dan2026

Ugh this looks like we have another winner on our hands.

Blurry low rez graphics.
Borderline unplayable framerate.

Luckily I know what to get the developers for Christmas!

0978047008870_500X500.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hopefully Sony sell them separately on PSN so people buy J&D 1 and Jak 3 and avoid Jak 2(I mean Jak 2 is already an abomination that no one should touch,but it'll most likely get awful framerate and ugly sub-native res.. Jak 2 being even worse than before is a real nightmare)

KalBalboa

Banned
I want to hear some hands on impressions before believing the framerate is a real issue. Vita footage on YouTube isn't always reliable, and people hate on the PS3 collection despite how fine it was.

Was the ps3 collection 60fps?

If so I hope the vita collection is at least a rock solid 30.

Do want. I just hope the port is up to snuff.

Top Bottom